“No Fillet, or was there!” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Achill Cliff House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Keel B&B and Inns
Cavan, Ireland
“No Fillet, or was there!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

We are very frequent visitors to Achill and recently decided to try the Cliff House for dinner, it was not our first time but most certainly will be our last. When we arrived we were advised by the owner / waitress that there was no fillet steak available. We were the only people in the restaurant, it was a Saturday evening and not a holiday weekend, hence it was quite. We were disapointed about the lack of the fillet steak as we had it before and were suitably impressed with it.
Shortly after we sat down a local couple arrived with their daughter, they all ordered fillet steak and much to our dismay, they were not told there was no steak! I wanted to discuss this further with the owner, however my wife did not want a scene and we continued with our meal, I was quite annoyed, however bit my tongue. Within minutes of the three people ordering their fillet steak another local couple arrived and, yes, they ordered and got fillet steak.
I was so annoyed, it was like as if we were outsiders and the fillet was being kept for locals, not a good way of doing business or encouraging a return visit. As I mentioned, we are frequent visitors to Achill, at least twice a month, we will not be going back to the cliff house anytime soon. Very disapointed with the way we were treated.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Paul26793

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

Had to travel to Achill Island for work - how bad :) We stayed in the three star Achill Cliff House Hotel. Plus side, breakfasts amazing - choice of so many main courses, home made pancakes, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, full Irish breakfast - all products sourced locally. We ate in the restaurant for dinner one night as well and it was really good quality - much better than regular hotel restaurant fare. Rooms were clean, functional, beatiful views - Down side, no wifi in the bedrooms - but it just meant that we had to relax and take things easy. All in all a really comfortable stay and we will be back - soon I hope :)

Room Tip: Rooms at front of house overlook the water and amazing cliffs on the mainland.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Deirdre W
Westmeath, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

The location of the hotel is good, it is in keel which appears to be one of the bigger villages on the island. It is close to the beach. Overall the hotel was old fashioned and average, the shower was not pleasant as difficult to get the temperature right. It was the most expensive place I stayed on my trip to mayo and I did not feel it was worth the €94 for a night b&b for 2. If I was doing the trip again I would stay on the mainland and take a day trip to the island.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Liz-ireland-10
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

I cant believe the negative reviews for this hotel with regard to food.We were stuck for someplace to eat and passed this hotel and decided to try it out as there were people inside eating and they always say if theres people eating there it has to be ok.Im a qualified chef and am very critical when it comes to food but I hadnt any fault with the food.It was delicious and the side order of veg was yum and garlic pops covered with cheese...mmmmhhh.My only fault was the drink...no draught beer...of any decription..only bottles...way too xpensive.
Anyway..we got a table by the window and were offered the set menu.We had our son with us and he was able to have a half adult portion...they offered us the half portion and it was huge..much to his delight...he had the beef which was very tender.The staff were very friendly and helpful.Our bill came to 74EURO which we were delighted with and I told the girl that I would write a good review as I was very happy with everything.Couldnt fault this hotel for food.We didnt stay but would be back for another feede next summer.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank everlovin
Roscommon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Good accommodation spoiled by terrible food and unfriendly staff. The so called irish breakfast was swimming in grease and the evening meal was the worst I have ever had. I will never stay there again

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank David B
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

WARNING!! DO NOT EAT HERE!! Only after dining at cliff house I read trip adviser and I have to agree with severel reviews that write about the rudeness of the staff you would think they were doing us the favour by giving them our buiness. What happened to Irish hospitality?! It is inabundense everywhere else on this beautiful island! We were a party of adults no children, no excuse! We all agreed have eaten bad food but never as bad as cliff house!
If you are to dine in achill, I would highly recommend calveys which is next door or the Beehive for a lighter menu.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Rosie M
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

We have stayed here many times and each time it is fabulous! It is spotlessly clean, the rooms are spacious, and each room has a deep, lovely tub (bring bubbles). It is right across the street from Keel Beach (beauty spot) and you can sit at breakfast and watch the gulls flying over the sea. By far the best part is the food...I can't say enough about it. The food is fresh, cooked perfectly, and presented beautifully! I really don't want everyone to discover this place because I want to keep it to my self. It is a family run, small hotel, my favorite. The people are welcoming, friendly, and will remember you when you come back.

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs in the front have a lovely view of the beach. If you go in the summer and want to...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anne P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keel
Mulranny Park Hotel
#4 of 27 in Achill Island
Achill Lodge
Achill Lodge
#5 of 12 in Keel
Achill Sound Hotel (Ostan Gob a'Choire)
Achill Water's Edge
Achill Water's Edge
#7 of 27 in Achill Island

Been to Achill Cliff House Hotel? Share your experiences!