“What are you all moaning about???” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Island Beach Resort

Island Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 13 Kavos B&B and Inns
Matlock, England, United Kingdom
“What are you all moaning about???”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Right, let me give some context to my review. I am 32 and stayed at Island Beach with my husband who is 35 and our friends who are another couple aged 32 and 21 (yes my mate is a cougar), so guess who originally chose/booked the holiday? Yes, that's right, the 22 year old. My husband and I were looking for a break without our kids (cheers for the babysitting mum and dad) and our child-free friends said 'why not come to Kavos at the same time/same place as us?' So we thought 'eff it' and booked. In recent years I am used to travelling to family friendly places and as an only child was always taken to quite upmarket places by my parents.
In a very uncharacteristic manner, I booked this holiday before reading Trip Advisor and went in total panic mode when I did. After reading the reviews, I then decided to upgrade to a superior annex room from a standard annex that I had originally booked. At least I DID read Trip Advisor before actually travelling so wasn't ever expecting to stay in the main hotel! It seems most bad reviews are from people who haven't really read things properly/ been misled by the booking agent and thought they were staying on the main site only to arrive and find they are in an annex. This isn't the hotel's fault so many of the reviews are unfair.
When we arrived at the hotel our friends checked in fine and were staying in a separate annex building which was fine as we had actually booked separately and it was quite nice to have that bit of space as two couples. If you want to be in the same buildings as your mates it's best to book all together from the start I think. When it was our turn to check in the hotel had our booking as 'cancelled' - probably due to the original room being cancelled to make way for the upgrade and the message not being communicated properly from the booking agent. However, the lovely receptionist Lorraine sorted this out quickly and put us in the Bahamas block which was right opposite the hotel. I can see how things like this would cause mass problems in peak season when the hotel was rammed and they simply don't have any spare rooms but we traveled 22-29 Aug when things were starting to quieten down a bit it but it was still lively (It was a nice time to go as Mid Jun - Mid Jul is probably a bit overcrowded). Our room hadn't been cleaned when we were shown to it and it seemed the maids didn't realise the previous occupants had left as they hadn't changed the beds, emptied the bins or removed the stuff they had left in the fridge but HAD swept the floor and cleaned the bathroom. This was sorted very quickly and seen as though the booking was cancelled in the hotel's book we were pleased how quick they saw us right. I had tried to email the hotel in advance through their website, twitter and facebook to check they had details of the upgrade but never got a reply. But there was no problem in the end so can't really complain about this.
The room was basic but perfectly clean (the maids came every day) and adequate for the money (we paid £650 for flights, transfers and superior annex room). The beds were comfy enough and the towels and bedding were changed once during the week but we were given clean towels when we specifically asked the maid. Some people have said their maids were miserable/unhelpful in reviews I have read but we didn't find this at all - if it is the case just swat them 10 euro and they will help you out for your whole stay I should imagine. The shower didn't have a holder but all you have to do is wash your hair bent over with your head upside down - hardly a biggie! The water did go a bit cold at peak times but, as someone has said, it's nice to have a cool shower. Our mates had a standard annex room compared to our superior. There wasn't a massive amount of difference but our room was a lot bigger so wasn't so hot and stuffy (if you have aircon it won't matter). I would probably advise this - if you are travelling in the busiest time either have a superior annex or stay in the main hotel. If you are travelling when it's dying off, like we did, then it's probably okay to have a standard room. Obviously, when it's less busy they will fill up the nicest rooms first and probably still have spaces in the grottier ones - so you are more likely to get a decent one.
Budget for aircon as it's red hot and if you open any windows or doors the mosquitos will have you - my mates tried it without aircon for the first couple of nights (tight wads) and the girl got bitten all over her ar*e while sleeping starkers face down!) Mossies really did do my head in so buy some decent repellent and a bite stick! We were told on the last day that the locals put a cup of fresh orange juice on the bedside table to trap them and stop them biting so it may be worth a try. But that is just Southern Europe in August - it would be the same wherever you went in that area.
The hotel itself is small but the pool area is nice - it looks lovely at night all lit up. Yes, the water turns white swimwear a bit green and probably does the same to bleached hair but this is Kavos and I'm not surprised it needs a lot of chlorine to stay clean! The pool DJ starts at 2pm till 6pm each day, plays a variety of music and is very funny ('shout out to Becky Binden' - don't ask) but the music is quite loud. If you prefer it a bit quieter you can go on the beach (other side of pool bar) or many of the annex building have their own pool. The pool party on Sunday's is a good laugh and there are some funny games to get involved in or just watch (if you are a pansy like me). Sunloungers weren't a problem for us but it may be different at high season. The pool toilets weren't bad and I am the kind of person who totally FREAKS about having to use public toilets - again it may be worse in high season. The drains do have a problem with overflowing but this is in the field next to the hotel rather than in hotel grounds - just find a sunlounger away from that side of the pool.
The hotel bar staff we met were great - shout out to Marta (amazing Polish/Scottish accent) and Taz! Bamboo (the hotel bar that stays open till 7am) was pretty quiet when we were there but It was nice for a quiet drink in the early hours where you could actually hear each other well enough to have a conversation! The hotel Wifi was free but a bit hit and miss - it kept getting stuck. If you were that bothered you could probably ask them to restart the router but most of the restaurants in Kavos had free wifi that was better so just pay for a drink and use their wifi for half an hour!
The beach wasn't very clean but it is Kavos! The sea itself seems pretty clean and very warm but because the tide is mild the beach doesn't get cleaned naturally. Don't bother with the jetskis nearest the hotel - they are limited to 35mph so couldn't do any tricks (hubby well upset as used to 60mph + in other resorts).
As for Kavos, I was a bit worried as I am a 32 yr old mother of two and wasn't sure how I would fit in but I loved it! There are loads of bars playing lots of different music so there is something for everyone. We were told by a guy who works in Kavos that JC's Bar, Ice Bar, Rolling Stone, Hotel Lefkimi and Fresh Bar were the only places he would drink in as they serve proper drinks rather than watered down stuff. We tested this theory and would recommend all those places if you want to get smashed on a budget. We didn't bother with any paint parties, full moon parties etc and we were glad - they looked to be rubbish and only lasted a couple of hours. In fact we were shocked how quickly the paint party was over for the money (we could tell as all the attendees had matching T shirts and were back out on the strip very quickly). We didn't do the booze cruise either (the boat looked packed on the photos and I'm not down for sailing without being able to sit down!) and I reckon you can have enough fun in Kavos without being ripped off for events.
We did go to the water park and it was okay. We had a good day but I'm a bit of a pansy when it comes to water slides so wasn't looking for the most scary slides in Europe! There were a few slides that were steep etc but I have been to better water parks. The 35 euro ticket includes 10 euro transfers so if there are a few of you in may be worth hiring a car for the day (about 40/50 euro per day - expensive because it's Kavos and there aren't many car hire places) and just paying the 25 euro entry fee when you get there. That way you get there quicker and can go for a drive into the gorgeous Corfu Town for the evening afterwards (which is what we did). We actually had our car for 2 days and as our car was a 4x4 we could access the secret beach which was gorgeous and unspoiled. You could also get to it on a quad - it's only a couple of KMs outside Kavos and the locals will direct you if you ask for the beach near the Monastery of the Blessed - it's WELL worth a visit.
All in all, I had a wicked time at the Island Beach but I was expecting the worst so was pleasantly surprised. Just remember that this is Kavos - it's never going to be a luxury resort. Food is cheap and pretty decent. All the restaurants are clean and tidy - I recommend the Hungry Hippos and Peri Peri Chicken.
I reckon a lot of the bad reviews are from middle class uni students who are used to being taken to 5 star hotels by mummy and daddy and don't realise you get what you pay for in this life! Go, enjoy it and let your hair down! The Island Beach is the perfect beach for this kind of holiday. If you don't want a bit of a mad 'un don't go to Kavos or the Island! But, Corfu itself is a very picturesque island so there will be other resorts that will suit you better. If you want a mixture then defo hire a car so you can explore for a few days - we found some beautiful places. Would go back but wouldn't dream of taking my kids as it's not that kind of place (obviously)! There weren't many families in Kavos or at the Island Beach but whenever I saw any I wanted to shout 'why the hell have you brought your kids to Kavos?!' (I think I actually did a couple of times after a few tequila sunrises!) ENJOY!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior annex or room in hotel in peak times but you will be okay in standard when it...
5 Thank Alex S
Filios P, Manager at Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
thank you for your great feedback. I'm pleased to hear the staff were prompt in resolving your needs and any issues you had. It's good to hear you had a great time with us.
thanks for posting

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Kérkyra, Kerkira, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Just returned from my holidays the place was amazing , very nice and clean roomw. Really enjoyed the pool party and had best time!Spent most days on the sundy beach of the hotel. Deffinately one of the best places to be in Kavos!

3 Thank Elena N
Great to hear you had a good time! thank you for taking the time to post
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Had soooo much fun here, staff were great, room is as expected it's an annex, and location is perfect!

2 hilarious weeks full of great parties, drinks and a few little accidents but that's what makes the story you take back home even more interesting ;)

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Whoopidi
Thanks for your feedback - great to hear you had a good time.
Kent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed on the 30th July.
Lets start from the beginning. When we arrived, there was only 1 person at reception and a night watchman guy. It took them over an hour to serve us and then we was told, our rooms were in separate building, (See the picture below, this shows you all the different annexes they have around Kavos) we instantly refused so the guy (who was trying his best) made a few phone calls and told us to come to reception tomorrow at midday to resolve this issue. This was their excuse to everyone and then you turn up at midday and Sally/Lorraine didn't have a clue about any issues. However, when we went to our rooms, one of them hadn't even been cleaned so then we insisted to be in the same building. Fair play to him, he just gave in and took us to "Hawai" (which is probably the best out of the annexes, and has its own pool) where our mates were staying. Air Con is 7euro's a day but is defiantly worth it otherwise you will be sleeping in a sweatbox. The safe is 3euro's a day, this is a must as the maids seem to take any money that is laying around. Although it is a pain because its in the main reception. You are able to use all the facilities at the main hotel, but the pool is more green then blue and music is consistently blared out. Which after a whole night of it is the last thing you really want. Back to our rooms, very average, shower is pretty rubbish. The maids clean most days but also like a good nose around. There is a night watchman that walks about to keep things secure, but if you say your in room 3 but haven't got the key he will let you in. Good if you genuinely haven't got the key but bad as its easy for anyone to say that. He's happy for people to come back to your room. The hotel can't run a drink up in a brewery. They organise acts (route94, breach twice etc) to perform at Sandstorm every Thursday, which is a good way to get you to stay at the hotel as its free entry however, 9/10 the act don't show up so your standing there waiting for them, buying drinks and then they say the act has cancelled. However the act hasn't cancelled, the Hotel just doesn't want to pay them. ONE MASSIVE CON. 100% do the booze cruise. There is 2, do Kavos Cruises on Wednesday but Theo's boat party on Saturday. Foam and Paint party is rubbish, lasts 2 hours and you end up paying for new bed sheets as you get paint everywhere. 100% don't go to the water park, its a 2 hour coach journey for 5 slides.
A lot was hyped up about the Serbians. Yes they walk around like they own the place. If you go out looking for trouble then you'll find it. Apart from that, Kavos in general is amazing. One tip, if your going to stay at this hotel, only go for the Deluxe option which is the rooms at the main hotel but in the day go to the Hawai annex building. For food/drink for your hotel, go the Chandris Supermarket, has the biggest selection and is the cheapest.

Room Tip: Deluxe Rooms only. There is no difference between Party Hard (Standard) or superior.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sean H
During peak season, when we have a lot of arrivals at the same time and during the night, it is sometimes necessary for guests to wait. However, it is not normally longer than half an hour. I believe this guest was allocated a room in our Superior Annex. If our guests do not book together, with separate names and references, it is impossible for us to allocate them rooms together.
I can say with 100% conviction NON of the Island Beach Resort staff would risk their job by stealing or interfering with guests belongings. I do understand though, when some of our guests have had a lot to drink, it is difficult to keep track of what money is being spent, which is why we encourage our guests to use the safety deposit boxes. We are not in the habit of 'conning ' our guests, as this would obviously be foolish business practice. However, we did have a few issues with some of our acts this year, which, for one reason or another, did not show up or cancelled at the last minute. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Travellers are raving about these Kavos hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Ok so the Island Beach Resort…We knew we were staying in an annex from the off, so there was no real disappointment there. We paid a little extra for one of the better annexes, which was a 2 minute walk from the main resort.

Lads and lasses, this is Kavos. Yes expect a little for your money, but don't expect a lot. The rooms are basic, a place to get your head down. If you view the holiday this way you won't be disappointed. If you want modern with a few extra luxuries, I suggest you stay elsewhere. I won’t review the nightlife, just the hotel (though I strongly recommend you hit the after party at Atlantis, epic tunes). I would also say that we stayed in the annex rather than the main hotel, so take that into consideration when reading. We were informed that a lot of travel companies that aren’t even affiliated with the hotel will take bookings promising a stay in the main complex, but when that booking eventually makes its way to the actual hotel, they’re already fully booked and struggle to accommodate you and so have to place you in the annexes.

Annex

Contrary to some of the other reviews I’ve seen on here, our annex was very clean, no problems with ants and such, though the occasional mozzie came in for some chow. Sheets were only changed once for the week we were there which got a bit grotty toward the end of the trip, that and the shower ran cold most of the time were pretty much the only downsides I can think of (and to be fair, after 40 degree heat a cold shower was lush). No air conditioning. Noisy, but what do you expect, you're ON the strip. We shared our balcony with two other apartments which was odd, but the other apartments never used it. Basic kitchenette, fridge worked. Had to replace toilet rolls ourselves but to be fair after going on the lash for 7 days straight the consumption was bound to creep up, and they’re not exactly expensive. 30 second walk from the nearest bar/club, supermarket and even a nice little Greek restaurant (the Olympia) which made a change from all of the ‘100% British food’ restaurants which are abundant on the strip.

Staff

On arrival the staff were friendly and welcoming. They explained our room wouldn’t be ready for a couple of hours but that we could leave our bags with reception. I’ve seen a couple of people complain about this and to be honest this happens in a lot of places I stay, plus we were dying for a beer so that was fine by us. Our rep, Mark, seemed a decent enough chap. Gave us a lot of advice and sat and had a drink with us on the first day. We didn’t see him for the rest of the holiday however which was slightly disappointing as we needed to speak to him about departure arrangements (more on that in a bit). Bar staff were friendly enough. Our cleaning lady was lovely and provided us with a fan for the room when asked and was always obliging when we asked if she could clean the room a bit later on (we’d typically get back from the strip at around the same time they’d arrive for house keeping). The DJ around the pool was always a laugh. A mostly positive experience with the staff was slightly marred by the situation we found ourselves in on the last day. Our Transfer company had seemingly not passed on the details of our pick up, and though this wasn’t the staff at the hotel’s fault, they didn’t seem to care about it. All ended well though and we got home ok.

Facilities

Safe boxes in reception were a god send as we didn’t have a safe in our room. Bar was reasonably well stocked. Pool could’ve done with a clean, water was cloudy most days but we were told this was down to people taking late night dips which interrupted the cleaning process. Quite how I’m not sure, but needless to say we didn’t really use the pool much. We did however use the sunbeds. Now, if you got down at a reasonable time there was never any problem finding a sun bed, get down past 2 though and it got pretty full. The beds you rent were usually busy, but we never really had too much of a problem lounging around. Toilets at the pool were FOUL. Flooded the entire time we were there and smelled disgusting. There is a lush covered area where they hold their club nights with a bar that is on the beach. This area is lush and cool if you ever need to get out of the sun. The resident DJ blasts out tunes all day and takes requests for a time which was always cool to have in the background. The hotel has its own club in the evenings (Bamboo) which we were told was supposed to be pretty amazing. We only went to one of the arranged nights there which was a beach rave. This turned out to be quite dead but probably due to another beach rave happening just a few bars over which was absolutely pumping. Sounded like they had a guest DJ too so we dropped the ball a bit there. Can’t really pass comment on Bamboo because we only went there that once and it isn’t fair to give a club a review on one visit.

All things considered our stay at The Island Beach Resort was a positive one. After reading the reviews on here we were expecting the worst but in actuality it’s not the worst place I’ve stayed by a long chalk. Would I recommend to friends and would I come back…hm….yes if you want a raw clubbing holiday with no real regard for the quality of the hotel, but if you’re looking for your hotel to be a safe haven after the rigours of a night of boozing and dancing, I’d seek refuge elsewhere. 3/5.

Room Tip: Speak with the hotel and specifically say you want to stay in the main complex. Don't just speak...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Smiffy1986
Filios P, Manager at Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
I am glad to hear we lived up to your expectations and more, and that you had a great holiday with us. We do not have any affiliation with the rep mentioned, this person works for one for the transfer companies. As an extra free service, the hotel offers to call your transfer company the day before departure to get your departure time. If a guest does not take advantage of this then we are unable to help. Having said this, on a number of occasions, guests have failed to call the company or are late for pick up etc and the hotel does try to get them on another transfer, however ultimately, as an independent traveler, the onus is on the guest to arrange and confirm their pick up. Thank you for taking the time to post.
Cheshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

So Me and my friend booked a ' standard room ' of which they call a ' party hard room ' when we arrived in kavos at our hotel they were very suspicious and wouldn't inform us on what was going on they just told us to wait, so we did and we were very tired at this point from travelling. This was me and my friends first time travelling alone so we trusted who we booked with. The next minute we get told to go in a taxi which was waiting outside of which took us to a bog standard hotel at the other end of the strip called (Lemon Grove) we then got told to wait on the corner in the dark and someone will come 20 minutes later and no one came so i went to reception finally got in a hotel room after them wanting 60 ero's for air con and a safe. The next day we became suspicious because this didn't look like what we had paid for yet we didn't think anything of it because they didn't inform us that we were not staying at island beach they told us that ' Lemon Grove ' Is there ' Overflow hotel ' ( Basically they never had a room booked for us at Island beach ) A few days into our holiday we get a knock at our door, it was a lady saying we had to move because there is people arriving today who have booked this room. It took me a minute to piece together everything but then it started to make sense. I went down to the reception and was angry at them because they were trying to send us back to island beach but we had made good friends at lemon grove and we were happy there but wanted an upgrade. The owner then made us wait for 2 hours then walked us to the main strip and introduced us to our ' upgraded ' Hotel room which was a room above an abandoned shop with no air con and no safe although we had paid 60 ero. I was so ill and tired so i had to sleep in this boiling room for half an hour. I called my dad in the UK and told him the situation and he called Island Beach and they promised him that they would sort it and all I got was a missed call a day after all of this had happened. (disgusting)Me and my friend then decided it was best to head to Island Beach and to confront them with how we felt. They fed us with a thousand lies about how the owner at Lemon Grove didn't want us to leave ect. But all I wanted was what I paid for and they finally understood this and gave us a room in apology. I have no trust in this company anymore I felt that even the english reps were lying to me. I didn't let this spoil my holiday but I was very upset for 2 days over the situation. I have also found out that there were many other people who got treated the way that we did too, and its all because of money you pay a company £500 and they pay someone £300 to keep you at there hotel then they keep the profit.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
I am disappointed to read this review as I have a personal knowledge of this situation. These guests were accommodated in one of the properties we use during high season, in order to accommodate late bookings by agencies etc. When our rep tried to contact the girls via the reception at this property, she was told the girls did not need to move rooms. The girls then came to the hotel reception and explained they had been asked to leave the property. As soon as this came to my attention, the girls were immediately upgraded to the Deluxe Main Building, free of charge, for the inconvenience, and they were very happy with this, they were also given air con, which they had paid for at the other property. So, it saddens me to read this, as I had believed the situation was rectified to the satisfaction of all concerned. I am unsure who these girls booked with, however, all our room prices can be found on our website.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

My friends and I booked the deluxe room, which meant we got to stay on the actual resort. We saw many a pissed-off and upset faces who didn't realise that annex rooms were off the grounds of the resort, and doesn't say anywhere in the website!! The English reps were wonderful and so pleasant and helpful but the two Greek women who were there most of the time were awful! We needed more towels and was told to come back in an hour, but when we did, the other Greek woman told us no! Because you only get when the cleaners come, half way through your stay. Also they keep a hold of your passports in an unlocked cupboard! This angered me. But the bar staff are so so lovely and friendly and if you stay on the resort, you're right on the strip and beside the clubs which was great!

Room Tip: Pick deluxe if you want to stay on the resort!
1 Thank KirstyLauren21
I'm happy to hear you had a good holiday with us! The cleaners come to the rooms everyday and linen is changed during the week. Towels are also changed once during the week. I'm also pleased the majority of the staff are delivering the level of customer service we expect. The passports are retained as rooms security and it is standard procedure in hotels to do this, especially Kavos which has a high level of damage to property. The passports are safely kept behind reception which is manned 24hrs a day. Thanks for posting.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kavos
Morfeas Hotel
Koulouris Beach Hotel
Yianetta
Yianetta
#107 of 415 in Corfu

Been to Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!