Dark Island Hotel
Redwood House Hotel(Greshornish)
US$255
US$242
Craigard Hotel(Isle of Barra)
  • Restaurant
Harris Hotel(Tarbert)
  • Restaurant
Ardhasaig House(Ardhasaig)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewscoach toursome sortlocal schoolnearby beachcouple of nightslovely beachthe staff were friendly and helpfulscallopsstornoway black puddingcomfortable stayvegcommunityrearbarra
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed here last month. We were allocated a ground floor room at "the end of the line" [No 27?] The creaking floor boards of the room above were not a problem as we assumed that the occupants would have a time table similar to ours.Wrong! They rose at 5am to do a spot of bird watching seemingly in company with the occupants of the whole upper floor of this cheaply built establishment.I had complained about some sort of pump/boiler installation which was on and off in close proximity to our room and was assured that this would go off at 11pm. It did but came on again at - yes you've guessed - 5am presumably to provide hot water for the bird watchers. Memo to hotel staff; put the bl**dy bird watchers on the ground floor and have a care for ordinary folk. Only allocate the room in question - you know the one - with a health warning!

Room Tip: If poss have a first [ie top floor] room so that the creaking floors are the problem for the bird watchers below you!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Terence E
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Our (double) room was well-equipped and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food reasonable, with a changing special menu and a good wine selection (we ate in the bar). Good breakfasts. We were woken early one morning by a coach party departing.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank DA20
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. When I checked in and was given my key, I went to a bedroom which must rank as one of the smallest I have ever had and in fact I felt claustrophobic in the room. It had a double bed and I struggle to imagine one person, never mind two, in the room. It was directly under the roof and had, therefore, a sloping ceiling. It was extremely small, with a tiny bathroom with a shower - no bath. I wanted to work and there was no room to put a surface surface to work on. I went back to reception and asked for a larger room. They sent me to a room on the ground floor. It was very good. Large and airy with a bathroom with a bath in it. The bathroom was tired and a bit beat up but the room was fine. There was a kettle for tea and coffee but one of my pet hates is finding water in the kettle - and this kettle was half full - I really do not like that.
I ate in the bar and the food was fantastic. I had steak pie with potatoes and fresh vegetables and it was excellent. Quickly served, piping hot and the plate was enormous - so much so that I couldn't eat another thing.
Breakfast was fine and when I checked out they had not charged me for one of my drinks or for my food. I did remind them and I paid for it.
Would I go back - yes, but only of I could get a decent sized room. The first room I had was completely unacceptable for a decent hotel or for the price they were charging. The price was fine for the larger room I eventually ended up in.

Room Tip: Avoid a small room at all costs
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Millport18
Reviewed 23 May 2013

A return visit after two years; this time with five others as part of a small birdwatching group.
Overall, very good. The refurbishment programme has revived the previoulsy tired exterior and the inside rooms now look quite smart. No problems at all with our room. Having stayed in six different island hotels during our trip, this was easily the best.
We were lucky in the dining room in that Samantha (a veritable star!) was in charge on both days and nothing was too much trouble for her. Food good, a pleasant area for breakfast and ideally situated for touring the southern part of the Outer Hebrides. It is necessary to make allowances for remote islands such as these, in which case, this hotel does every well indeed.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank barney067
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I had read all the reviews and booked this hotel tentatively. Accommodation in the area was rare in the area and we had been let down by another hotel - another story.
The hotel has so much potential but sadly doesn't realise it in all areas. Our room was good but I asked for one without sloping ceilings and so got the biggest. Couldn't fault the room. Just a minor plumbing noise in bathroom and loose tap which they must have known about (the cleaner must use them) After reading other reviews we worried about food but it was fine - especially ordering something that has to be cooked fresh. Staff were variable - some very friendly. Coffee at breakfast lukewarm because on a filter stand, but cooked breakfasts good.

Room Tip: If you're tall - avoid one in roof space
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple