“Nicely Surprised”

Dark Island Hotel
Yarm, United Kingdom
“Nicely Surprised”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

After looking at the notes and scores on here i was concernede about the hotel . But how wrong were the comments . Rooms were very clean and tidy . Food was very good and reasonably priced . The bar staff were exceptional and made the stay so good . Thanks to Yaiza and Daniel for looking after us . Cheers from kevin & phil

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank annpolley142

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
West Lothian
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, we liked it. Nice lounge bar, where we ate. The menu's the same if you're in the bar or restaurant. Fairly extensive menu, predominantly pub grub with some local specials there too. We loved the venison chilli. Bar staff were good. Very reasonably priced whiskey's.
As it was a Sunday and the community school next door was closed we assumed the pool was off limits, so strolled to the beach behind the hotel instead - passing beside the huge wind turbine, which is remarkably quiet. Seals were seen swimming just off shore :-)
The room was a good size, with an en suite bathroom. No decor issues but definitely not a modern hotel...chunky wooden furniture was present but that fits the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Stephy12WestLothian
Glasgow
Reviewed 16 July 2013

After reading reviews for this hotel, and having booked it as a last resort when everywhere else was full, I wasn't looking forward to it.
However, it seems to me, everyone else who has written reviews is over dramatic or expecting some sort of boutique hotel on Uist!
We arrived at 9:45pm and everywhere had stopped selling food, so being starving we asked the reception for ideas. The lady on reception gave us directions to a local Chinese take away, recommended their specials and then let us take the food back to our rooms.
Our rooms were two of their "economy singles", one of which actually ended up being a large twin room. Although both rooms were basic, and the single was very small, they were cosy and clean and both had en suites and televisions.
The breakfasts at the hotel were lovely; the food was great and the staff were very helpful. We also ate in the hotel one evening and it was very busy and the food was good.
As well as being central to both north and south Uist, the location of this hotel was great; right on a beach and right next to a local school where you could use the pool facilities.

Overall, I would stay in the Dark Island again; if you're looking for a basic stopover, with comfy beds, en suites, helpful staff and good breakfasts, then it's or you. If you're going to the outer Hebrides with the idea of staying in a fancy upmarket room, then don't, perhaps a posh b&b is more your thing!

Room Tip: Despite the warnings of avoiding the slanted roof rooms, I was in one and it was fine!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank hollyjaane
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

No body on a very depressing looking reception when we arrived. Someone finally came gave us a key. When we entered the room it smelt of cigaret smoke. Went back and told it was a smoking room. The question begs why give it to no smokers? We were given keys. To 26. First impressions fine. The bathroom badley needs updating. The problems started when we went to bed. The bed was that hard and lumpy we could not sleep the pillows were that flat you might as well not have them and the noise from the water pipes upto twelve o'clock and from five forty five onwards was awful as for meals we ordered. In the bar and it came within ten minutes so not cooked to order! My chips were Luke warm and probably left over from lunch scampi okay. My husbands steak pie was fine. Breakfast I had poached eggs and tomatoes the eggs were hardly cooked and swam in water. My husband had full Scottish which was okay not the best he'd had. When we had a moan when checking out no apologies just the message would be passed on!! We wait to see.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda J
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed here last month. We were allocated a ground floor room at "the end of the line" [No 27?] The creaking floor boards of the room above were not a problem as we assumed that the occupants would have a time table similar to ours.Wrong! They rose at 5am to do a spot of bird watching seemingly in company with the occupants of the whole upper floor of this cheaply built establishment.I had complained about some sort of pump/boiler installation which was on and off in close proximity to our room and was assured that this would go off at 11pm. It did but came on again at - yes you've guessed - 5am presumably to provide hot water for the bird watchers. Memo to hotel staff; put the bl**dy bird watchers on the ground floor and have a care for ordinary folk. Only allocate the room in question - you know the one - with a health warning!

Room Tip: If poss have a first [ie top floor] room so that the creaking floors are the problem for the bird wa...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Terence E
Loughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Our (double) room was well-equipped and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food reasonable, with a changing special menu and a good wine selection (we ate in the bar). Good breakfasts. We were woken early one morning by a coach party departing.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank DA20
Millport18
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. When I checked in and was given my key, I went to a bedroom which must rank as one of the smallest I have ever had and in fact I felt claustrophobic in the room. It had a double bed and I struggle to imagine one person, never mind two, in the room. It was directly under the roof and had, therefore, a sloping ceiling. It was extremely small, with a tiny bathroom with a shower - no bath. I wanted to work and there was no room to put a surface surface to work on. I went back to reception and asked for a larger room. They sent me to a room on the ground floor. It was very good. Large and airy with a bathroom with a bath in it. The bathroom was tired and a bit beat up but the room was fine. There was a kettle for tea and coffee but one of my pet hates is finding water in the kettle - and this kettle was half full - I really do not like that.
I ate in the bar and the food was fantastic. I had steak pie with potatoes and fresh vegetables and it was excellent. Quickly served, piping hot and the plate was enormous - so much so that I couldn't eat another thing.
Breakfast was fine and when I checked out they had not charged me for one of my drinks or for my food. I did remind them and I paid for it.
Would I go back - yes, but only of I could get a decent sized room. The first room I had was completely unacceptable for a decent hotel or for the price they were charging. The price was fine for the larger room I eventually ended up in.

Room Tip: Avoid a small room at all costs
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Brae View B&B
Brae View B&B
#2 of 5 in Glendale
The Isle of Benbecula House Hotel
The Isle of Benbecula House Hote...
#1 of 2 in Benbecula Island

Been to Dark Island Hotel? Share your experiences!