“Good and bad”
Review of Temple View Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Uist
Temple View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in North Uist
Ayrshire, Scotland
“Good and bad”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

There were two of us, soaked to the skin, having cycled from castlebay in barra and on our way to lochmaddy. There are few places on the route that offer food, so we were glad to turn the corner and see this hotel.
The lady that greeted us didnt look too impressed that we had walked in. She seemed surly and offered minimal interaction that made us feel unwelcome. The girl who served us though was excellent and chatted throughout the hour we were there, which was a marked contrast to the older woman. When some well dressed customers appeared, who we believe to have been guests in the hotel, the older woman chatted warmly to them.
The food was superb - a large plateful. It was still around a tenner though, but that is the going rate in the highlands and islands for meals which must be bleeding tourists dry with food prices.
The icing on the cake though was the price for a pint of tap water with a dash of orange cordial - almost three pounds!!! A perfect example of tourist hotels ripping off customers.
Next time I cycle the hebrides, I shall keep pedalling past this hotel to a more welcoming place.....

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank boboblanco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
England
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Quick lunch here on a North Uist Sunday when much is closed. It was excellent-really friendly service, delicious freshly prepared produce and a fantastic place to be sat in the conservatory, on comfy seats, watching the weather and wind rolling outside. Real highlight for us.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Cholsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Didn't stay at the Temple View so I can't comment on that, but I went in for dinner this evening on the reccomendation of my B&B host (at the Ships Wheel).
I was served by the owner and her husband (who was also the chef) throughout my meal, and they were both excellent- very chatty and friendly and offered some good advice for places to see.
I had the Roast Lamb- I dont usually eat Lamb but this was juicy and tasty. Good amount of peas & carrots too! Also had roast new potatoes.
I had a lovely dessert too, the name of which I can't remember.It was meringues, squirty cream, ice cream.and chocolate sauce.
It came to £17.25 including a drink which seems fairly good value.
Would definitely recommend, plus, there is little else unless you head into Lochmaddy (and I dont think there's much.there either!).

• Stayed April 2013
Cambridge
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We stayed here in the spring of 2012. On the plus side it is spotlessly clean, beautifully warm in both bedrooms and bar and has lovely comfy beds. The welcome is fine.

However the hotel was full and it is far too small for the number of guests. The dining room is very small and you often have to move your chair to let the waitresses through. We couldn't sit all together in the bar on two occasions as there were outside guests and there are insufficient chairs in the residents' lounge. I couldn't charge the drinks to the room and had to pay every night for the groups' drinks. The food is mediocre. The meat is excellent but fresh veg few and far between and overcooked. The meals are huge. Breakfast is chaotic if you all arrive together and avoid the scrambled egg!
There were vegetarians in our party who were not told the soup had changed to Chicken!! and packed lunches continued to have meat for them - it appeared quite difficult to ensure that there was apprpriate food for them.

Probably the worse thing of all was that if you weren't the first to shower there was no hot water. When it is about 6C outside a shower that runs cold after a few seconds is not very inviting.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have beautiful views - upstairs may be better as floor very noisy
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank janeinthegarden
Saltcoats, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I just didn't know what to expect of a hotel on, what was to me, an island so remote from the mainland. But, the welcome we received, the food and our accommodation were first-rate. We wanted single rooms, which at times are difficult to get and often very small and inconvenient. Ours were on the ground floor, were clean and spacious enough. If our hotel had not been so good, it would have detracted from our visit. The car park, which was good and well maintained and was right next to the hotel.
If I am lucky enough to return to North Uist, I would have no hesitation but to book here.

Room Tip: We asked for what we wanted and got it; single rooms on the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

had we not been recommended to eat at the Temple View Hotel we might have driven past, it doesn't look too promising from the outside. We were made very welcome by the proprietors and the dinner we had was delicious, quality and quantity! We sat in the conservatory watching the sunset over the Temple area and machair beyond.

We returned for a second evening meal so it must have been good. Veggie options are a bit limited but the menu does invite guests to ask for anything that isn't listed so I am sure other options could have been made available had we asked.

I noticed another reviewer commented on a lack of fresh vegetables. The first evening we had a mega selection of fresh vegetables, cooked plainly but just perfectly. The next night we had peas but to be fair it has to be acknowledged that it isn't just that easy to get supplies of fruit and veg to islands all the time, so maybe it's a bit hit and miss.

Good value bar menu and I would particularly recommend the scallops from the bar menu.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Kelsall
Reviewed 31 August 2012

A stop over whilst travelling. Slightly dated but comfortable enough for our needs. Food quite good. Good views over the temple ruins and close to the main road. Difficult nights sleep as floor boards above very creaky.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DavinaKelsall

Been to Temple View Hotel? Share your experiences!