“You must come to stay if you fancy European antiquities”
Review of Villa Olmi Firenze

Villa Olmi Firenze
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bagno a Ripoli
Hong Kong, China
“You must come to stay if you fancy European antiquities”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We were in Italy since the 3rd week of July for 19 days. We (me, my husband, my 7-year old son and my 4.5 year-old girl) stayed at Villa Olmi Resort for 6 nights only.

The staff (all at the reception area; the 'security' Asian man who led us to our room when we checked-in; the staff who led us to the other building of the hotel to attend the cooking class; chef Ronald (not sure if he belongs to the hotel but he's very professional, patience and humble) the room-tidying ladies and the housekeeping ladies) have the really warmest smiles on their faces and eyes as in recent years I won't see such things in other brands of 5-star chained hotels! I think it's because the staff are enjoying their works and they seemed to try every effort to make guests feel they are very welcomed. Good training!

I couldn't believe the room that we were staying were quite spacious while the living rooms in the heritage building which is out of my room were free to use. The most wonderful thing was, we could sit down on the antique chair and sofa, use the antique tables and every day and night before we went to breakfast and before we went to sleep, my children were playing the antique pianos on the ground floor of the heritage building. The frescos on the walls of the room are so delicate while the crystal chandeliers and other antique table lamps create a romantic ambience. The antique paintings in the room and the bathroom kept me lingering in the room. Every time when I was back to the entrance of the hotel, I always have a question: who was the first owner of this heritage building and why did the owner sell it to the chained hotel? I am not sure all the furnitures and fresco are real antique furnitures or not, except the paintings and the big wooden clocks with pendulums which were mounted by sophisticated acrylic as they are extremly elegant! All these things were usually seen in rooms of palaces or museums and were not allowed to touch but now we were living inside and using the furnitures.

The garden was taking care of so well and the flowers and lemon trees made us very relaxed. There were tables with mosaic decoration and we had been talking about doing a picnic in the evening when we had finished sightseeing during the day but we were too tired to do so. Every night we ended up using the jacuzzi in the room before we went to bed.

Although it is a heritage building, the facilities and maintenance of the hotel were remarkably advanced. If we didn't insert the card-key in the room, there was no tap water and flushing water in the bathroom. When I was asking something at the reception, the staff at the reception could see from the monitor that told me that his colleague was tidying up my room. I guess all staff may be wearing some electronic devices so their whereabouts are easily tracked as the resort is very big in terms of management. As far as I recalled, when we first stepped in the heritage building, I found there was no security guard and no staff sitting at the antique manager's desk as I was afraid that it was easily slunk in. However, the Asian guy who led us there from the reception told me that their staff would be frequently checking the main door of the building with an ensured tone and confident eyes.

I would like to specially thank the man who has grey hair at the reception area...I am sorry I don't even know his name. He always paid attention to my questions and did solve or accommodate all my requests and questions. He reads people's mind so well and he's very humble so I think he's a great asset to the hotel. He also helped out to liaise the cooking class for us and we enjoyed the class indeed with chef Ronald and the intern who helped us to translate chef Ronald's teaching. Definitely, we had very good time and excellent food during the class.

When we were at the Duomo at around 17:50 one evening, my son spotted the hotel shuttle which carried "Villa Olmi" somewhere nearby the vehicle registration number. All of us were so excited.

One last but not the least thank you to Ms. Veronica. After we checked-out and while we were already on the train to Napoli in the late morning, I realized that I had left my daughter's small pillow in the room. I called the hotel immediately and asked whether they could post or deliver the pillow to my hotel in Napoli if they could find it. Very luckily, it was found and Ms. Veronica helped to bring the pillow to me hotel the next day as it's very fortunate that she went to my hotel (also a MGallery) for a business trip! My heartfelt thank you to all of you!

This was my 4th time to visit Florence for leisure travel and I really wish to come back again and again not only at the museums of Florence but also Villa Olmi. After we checked out Villa Olmi, we were still in other parts of Italy for 9 more days and my son kept saying a few times every day that wherever we go traveling in Europe, we should head back to Villa Olmi for a few nights...I also want to come back whenever there is chance...

Keep up the management, training, service and facilities, Villa Olmi!

Room Tip: If you like antiquities, you must stay in the rooms in the heritage building.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Summary: Overall summary was that we had a perfect stay at the villa Olmi resort, using all the hotel facilities and Restaurant over a 4 night stay in late July. The staff were overall very accommodating, really helpful and welcoming, superbly clean and spacious room with antique furniture, nice styling and a fantastic breakfast service - highly recommended.

Background:
We stayed as our honeymoon, though it welcomes families and the hotel had 2 family groups staying at the same time as us. This hotel is an excellent place to spend a nice break on the outskirts of Florence, with great services for their guests.

Arrival and room:
A friendly, professional and welcoming arrival at the hotel - the initial view of the hotel is impressive, the grounds are exceptional, the buildings, rooms and various sculptures all add to the initial wow factor. On arrival we were taken on a tour of the villa and grounds as our bags were taken to our room and we were greeted in our room by a bottle of prosecco and some arrival snacks.
Our room was in the Villa Mozzi, the oldest part of the grounds, and was impressive - decked out with antique furniture, paintings hung on the walls, chandelier and fine finishing touches throughout. The room was very clean, had lots of space, air con, a stocked fridge, and everything we could wish for. The bathroom was very clean and inviting, spa bath, large rain type shower head, powerful also, a bidet, various towels, bathrobes, and nice little touches here and there.

Staff:
Excellent, very friendly, attentive and pleasant all the time. They could not do enough for you, i felt this was as it should be expected for a hotel of this price for a stay, but it was worth it - we thoroughly enjoyed the service. They gave us recommendations, made bookings at our request, gave us a map of the city, replaced a lost key with no fuss or worry and the room was kept so tidy. You didn't notice the room staff but our room was turned over 3 times a day as we were nipping in and out, it was exceptional.

Food:
This is my only reservation about the hotel, the food at breakfast was excellent - a very large spread with everything including fresh varied breads, hot breakfast style food, yogurts, fresh fruit, cereals, cold meats and cheese, croissants, sweet breads, juices teas and coffees. everything. However the evening meal I felt was not as up to scratch. The price for the evening dinner is high, it is fine dining but I feel it was overpriced. This was the only time that I also felt that the staff were not on top form, and a little sulky. My advice would be that you can dine better, and much cheaper both close by and by getting into Florence on the evening.

As a recommendation for close by please if you are staying at this hotel go to Osteria Bruscia Tegami (reviews on here). That restaurant was fantastic, well priced, and the food was very very good along with the wine list - a huge recommendation to go there. This place is a simple 5 minutes walk away from here passing a main road and a picturesque church.

One other tip, on my phone the other restaurants that were labelled as being in the area were actually pretty far away, some were no where near where tripadvisor stated they were on the map, so please double check the addresses and locations.

Room excellent, hotel excellent, pool facilities excellent.

The area:
its out of the way and there isn't much nearby, so the free shuttle service into Florence was excellent and appreciated. That being said, its the hotel facilities or bust really apart from the other restaurant I mentioned. The outside gardens and garden bar are a heaven in the evening though, you pay for the privilege, but its a fantastic evening enjoying a drink

We walked a little further afield (15mins) to the Firenze Sud Sporting club, very random encounter, but a good one. It was full of local Italians, serving excellent pizza at a very cheap price, you will need to be able to speak some basic Italian to go there though, but it was a nice change to have a more local experience than fine dining every night.

That's pretty much it for the surrounding area.

Result:
Very highly recommended, I would love to go back for a short break to Florence and would stay here.

Room Tip: Villa Mozzi rooms are traditional and in the garden area, the garden rooms open out to the pool and...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rob T
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This was our fourth European destination during a three week trip, and it was a breath of fresh air. From its spacious rooms, outstanding service, relaxing pool area, and Tuscan scenery...all were absolutely perfect. We arrived a bit travel weary and were welcomed to the Villa Olmi with friendly smiles and a cool drink. Our room was beautiful, 3 windows that opened out to serenely beautiful vistas where we enjoyed Tuscany's lavender scented breezes. It was a treat to have a large, luxurious marble bathroom with fabulous toiletries. For me the jewel of the property was the pool area. The lounge chairs were comfortable to nap in, read in, and enjoy the sun. The pool had a beautiful turquoise mosaic and was heated just enough to keep me in the water all day. Everyone with whom we came in contact with was friendly, helpful, and went out of their way to make sure we felt special. I would go back again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed there a few days after a week in the centre of Florence. It was great, the hotel is beautiful, the staff is very friendly and helpful. It was very relaxing to lay by the pool and enjoy the peace of the hotel.
We had dinner at the restaurant only once as the food is expensive but very good. On the other nights, we went to a restaurant that is only a 10mins walk away.
I wish we had stayed the week before at this hotel too. There is a free shuttle to go in the city centre.

Encino
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed at the Villa Olmi for two nights in one of the Villa suites (310). The room was amazing-- over the top beautiful-- on two levels. The only problem was figuring out how to control the air conditioning. The room was either too hot or too cold and the control impossible to understand. The service including Sabrina at the front desk is very good and responsive. The pool and grounds are also terrific. The restaurant is overpriced so we did not eat there. We ate breakfast at the hotel and it is no worthy of a five star hotel. This resort has the potential to be world class but needs to improve the dining so it becomes a real destination rather than a place to stay while in Florence.

Room Tip: 310 was an amazing room.
notts
Reviewed 25 June 2013

we had originally booked to stay in the suite at mulino di firenze, but when we turned up there were informed there was a problem with the room, so they had already booked us in to villa olmi (which I had never heard of). We had 2 young children with us (a 3 month old and a 2 year old), which is why we had wanted the suite. The staff at mulino assured us the room we got at villa olmi would be adequate for our needs, and we would pay the same price we would have done originally, and that we would be looked after. All were true. The hotel itself is spectacular, but when we were shown to our room, surely the best in the hotel, we were really amazed. It was a suite in the old villa, occupying almost all of the rear side of the ground floor facing the italian garden with two french doors opening onto it (with no other rooms having private access). This garden has several maze-like hedge parterre arrangements which our 2 year old absolutely loved trying to find her way round. It was very peaceful in the evenings with outdoor furniture provided if you want to take a drink or eat out there, and although anyone staying at the hotel can go in the garden, we did not see any other people there except for us the whole time. There was a separate lounge and main room with adjoniing bathroom, as big as the ground floor of our house. The main hotel was very beautfully appointed, the breakfast was very good (we did not eat there apart from breakfast), and all of the staff superb in every way without exception. The swimming pool was nice and warm, although not suitable for young children as there is no shallow end- we were limited to dipping our feet in, but we had just come from a week in umbria of swimming twice a day so this was not a problem. We were also given a complimentary drink at the bar ( we had cocktails- total 27 euros). Im not sure if this is given to everyone or just us. Overall we would not have been able to afford this room without the situation which had occurred, but this was an example of excellent customer service from the group and as such I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: we stayed in 305 (suite in the villa). The only suite with its own access to the italian garden.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Hotel David
#1 of 411 in Florence
Villa Cora
#6 of 411 in Florence

Been to Villa Olmi Firenze? Share your experiences!