“Serene, Relaxing, Enticing and Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kingfisher Resort

Kingfisher Resort
Ranked #2 of 34 Pagudpud B&B and Inns
San Juan
“Serene, Relaxing, Enticing and Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Having been to Pagudpud a few years back, I told myself that I would never take a bus back to this point of the country. So a few weeks ago, my friends and I took a plane ride to Laoag and when we got there, was when our wonderful adventure began. Having arrived a bit early, our driver picked us up at the airport with a greeting that would set the tone for this vacation. His sign said, "Supermodels" instead of the usual guest's name. With that, he escorted us to a spacious van and asked us if we wanted to have lunch in Laoag. So we ate at Saramsam and had really good and authentic Ilocano food. Our driver then took us to the oldest light house in the country, Cape Boreador before seeing the windmills of Bangui. We then arrived at Kingfisher Resort. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the owner and some other guests who have been at the resort for a few weeks. Having been taken around the premises to show us their facilities and cottages, we found that the design and master planning of the resort is in keeping with ecological and green architectural standards and practices. A sublime choice of cottages, cabanas and villas were up for our preference. We decided to stay at the cottages closest to the beach. Which means, a few steps in-land for a common bath area with 4 shower stalls, 2 sinks and 2 toilets. The facilities were kept clean and tidy every few hours, which was great for us.
Now the food at this resort is something of a throwback to the Country Clubs around the world. Their extensive menu was great because it gave each of us an opportunity to try something new during every meal. The dining pavilion was reaching it's finishing point when we stayed at Kingfisher, so the game room/bar was also the dining area. With a sandy floor, screened walls and a flat screen TV with a DVD player and satellite cable, we had other options of activities at night other than drinking beer under the star filled skies.
A masseuse trained by the Six Senses Spa was on-call everyday and every evening for those who needed professional body alignment and pressure point massaging.
The music played everyday was fantastic as we got tunes from the guests who were just in the party capitals of the world. But when everyone is about to snooze, they turn the music off for everyone's sanity.
My friends and I left after 3 nights and four days of fun, relaxation and bonding. We aim to return as soon as our schedules allow us to.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Robbie_Francisco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

This is a special place.....Boracay 50 years ago. The wind is great and it's remote. I love the simple and well designed bungalows, waking up to waves every morning, and welcoming environment. There is a sense of community here as you are in the middle of nowhere. Be alone when you want to be....or join fellow travelers for a game of disc pool. The food is reasonably priced and very good. I got a few cooking lessons too. Like watching Food network......live! :)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Jeffrey I
Manila, Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

I have been staying in Kingfisher for 3 weeks already, from early october to end of october. It was mearly windy every day, and i was surprised that the wind was that constant and solid as the wind season should start in november. In fact, you already get good wind and waves mid september! The season is starting more than one month before you can get some light wind in Boracay. You can add 10 knots to windguru's forecast

The waves can get up to 5meters high, it depends of the wind and the tides, it is a reef break, not dangerous to surf. You can also go upwind to ayoyo where you have some easier waves to surf, or go domnwind to bangui and find a nice flat lagoon for freestyle.

The place is a remote area and you have some nice walks to do. You have some pretty nice accomodations in front of the lagoon, and you don't even need air con to sleep cause the wind is bringing you fresh air!!

You can now find a nice restaurant and a good menu which is constantly improved by the chief.

Definitely the place to be if you want to have a nice time with yout family, friends or even all the team they are really friendly

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Nicolas G
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

Kingfisher was a pleasure to stay at! I liked everything about this place; very clean and tasteful accommodation, the welcoming owner and his friendly staff, good food, peaceful location, hammocks at the beach.
The good vibes of this place and the beautiful beach make you lean back and feel comfortable right after arriving! It’s nice for relaxing while enjoying all different kinds of activities: kite, kayak, SUP, swimming, snorkeling, windsurfing…. Especially for kitesurfing, this resort with its spot is perfect. I’ll go there again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank steve b
Manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I've been travelling in and out of the country this past year, but I must say that Kingfisher is one of the best places to go to when you need to rest and detoxify.

It was a really long trip but I had fun seeing all the provinces along the way. The commute to Pagudpud was an adventure in itself, but all the hours were worth it when I got to see the beach.

From what I know, Kingfisher is famous for Kitesurfing but I didn't have the chance to try the sport because there wasn't much wind when I came. I tried paddle boarding instead and enjoyed it tremendously! If I had known how easy it was, I would've done it everyday since I arrived.

Food and service was awesome. Their new restaurant is still under construction, but at the rate that their going with their present menu, I'm having really high hopes for their new one. :)

The best part about the whole trip is the beach. I've never had a beach to myself EVER! It's as virgin as it can get!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Ice I
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Well designed cabanas. Comfortable beds. wow! lots of hooks to hang your stuff.If you want isolation, privacy and esp. if you are a surfer, this is a place for you; however, to go around either need private transport or use resort van.Place is 2 hrs from Laoag airport, about 40 min. from Pagudpud town. Very helpful mgt. and staff assisting us in further travel arrangements.
Currently, expansions going on,( noise from hammer during daytime) but most likely will be finished next high season.

Room Tip: Cabanas have own bathrooms; huts share bathrooms , separate male/female bathrooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Hiyas
Luzon, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Kingfisher sure is far but who said going to paradise was going to be easy? This resort has a very down to earth feel. Right in front of a gorgeous beach with clear waters, white sand and a very healthy marine life. I've seen kite surfers flock to this resort and I think surfers would apprecaite the waves too. Since it's far from everything, it gives you that very exclusive feel. GO ahead and pack your bikins ladies, there are hardly any people that would pass by and gawk at you.

The accommodation's are modest and provides all your basic necessities. The architecture made use of indigenous materials such as old wood and anahaw leaves but the amenities are up to date.

What I really loved about this place is that the owner is very friendly and accommodating. You don't get that kind of service in a big resort. A great escape if you can spend at least 3 nights here.

Give yourself the chance to discover this resort.

(I am the manager of a resort in Ilocos Norte and this resort is among the few places I would recommend in Pagudpud)

Room Tip: Ask for the room closest to the beach front!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kenji N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pagudpud
Playa Tropical Resort Hotel
#1 of 4 in Pagudpud
Casa Consuelo
Casa Consuelo
#1 of 16 in Pagudpud

Been to Kingfisher Resort? Share your experiences!