“One of my favorite resorts in the Philippines!”
Review of Kingfisher Resort

Kingfisher Resort
Ranked #2 of 34 Pagudpud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I had such a great time! I traveled quite a lot around the islands, and it's very difficult to find a place which excels in so many areas. I booked the palce after a friend of mine highly recommend it, so i had quite high expectations. Took a cheap flight from Manila, we had a van waiting for us at the airport, and it took us less than 90 minutes to get there.

Beach is nice, i don't practice any sports, so I was just lazying around, reading a book on a hamok with a beer and it was great. I rented a bike and went around the area, the roads are not busy, and the resort is an hour away from waterfalls, other beaches etc.

We booked an ocean view room with no shower. The room was nice, clean, and comfy, and the shared bathroom is super clean, so that was not an issue at all. They also do have rooms with showers though.

Food was the best, big menu, with a lot of choices, and great fresh seafood.

Manager and the staff were super nice and friendly, they are one of the reasons I will be going back, and overall the whole atmosphere is awesome. Honestly, I am not sure how they can improve. I highly recommend this place to anyone visiting the area, but its also a good spot to escape the city. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: If you don't mind sharing bathrooms (which were very clean btw) then definitely get the ocean vi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Paul A

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Two weeks Kingfisher was overall a great experience and we would come back any time.
We came to wind- and kitesurf. We found kingfisher by searching the net for windy destinations in Asia for the Chinese spring festival time as we are based In Beijing. The kingfisher website I must say promised a lot, based on the publications of a French pro windsurfer who discovered the place, it is branded as the "NEW HAWAII", so we were very curious what to find.

Kingfisher Resort
The place is right at the beach about 4km away from the next sizable village. It has different type of accommodation, based on your budget, you can choose more or less comfort . All places are clean and well maintained.

All this is centered around an open, airy main building where you can hang out, read, watch TV, play table football and of course have your meals. The restaurant is pretty good and has a decent variety of dishes. The style of the building fits very well In to the surounding and with the pretty palm leave roofs also follows the local architecture. The staff is super friendly and is always trying their best, Mon the owner and Sarah are paying much attention to introduce new guests, bring people together make sure everybody feels ok and entertain with anecdotes and stories about kingfisher. Over all the place is very relaxed, it is easy to get to know other people and we made many new friends and liked the mix of people who all seem to share the same enthusiasm for watersport. We meet many who are regular visitors which speaks for itself. There is also a bunch of friendly dogs running around and even a monkey. It's a perfect place for families with kids, couples and singles.
There is no internet! Mong and Sarah though offer to take you once a day or on request about 3 km down the road to an area where their hotspot has reception. The beach is uncrowded and you are able to walk for miles meeting nobody else than local fishermen.

The Wind and Kitesurf conditions.
We spend 14 days (first half of Feb.) and had around 70% days with good conditions. Other travelers and the kite and surf center told us that this was a bad patch and normally there is more wind,
The reef is about 200 m far out and the area before that is very much affected by the tide. So much that some places become dry and very shallow, so you have to wait until there is enough water around. For us this meant sometimes waiting until 2 or 3 pm depending if you wind- or kitesurf. If the wind is strong enough, there are alternative beaches available with less tide dependence and the kite centre can organize trips to them. The Seabed is a mixture of coral sand and seaweed, if you are a beginner or windsurfer you should bring shoes. The center can rent out shoes, but if you want to be sure to have the right size bring your own. The wind is mostly side to side on. The waves can get big, we had several days with waves up to 3m and we were told that they can get bigger. The wave builds up quick and is pretty powerfull. We did not see perfect peeling conditions but I guess that depends on the swell directions. From my point of view this place suits kitesurfers better then windsurfers. As a windsurfer you need to be pretty good to manage through the waves and due to the shallow conditions at and in front of the reef you very easily trash your equipment when you fall. For kite surfing I think the place is great for learning and also for the advanced who want to ride in waves. The place was never crowded and at max there where 10 kiters on the water and most of the time no windsurfers. The centre was run by a kitsurfer couple Janna and John, who provide great lessons and general support and Info.They have a few windsurf boards from Jp and sails from neil pryde and a range of different kites from cabrinah. The equipment is pretty good.
If you break stuff be prepared that you must pay. There is no insurance and it is not cheap, as the place is remote and repair and replacement is not available locally.
The resort has a number of jet skis for life rescue, I saw them never running or tested, so I am a bit doubtful they are functioning when required, keep that in mind when you go out.

Overall, we loved the place and enjoyed the quiet remote setting with great conditions beautiful scenery and a great bunch of other visitors.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Axel R
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This is the best discovery I've ever spotted over the net. I found the resort while researching for a place to stay in Ilocos. The resort is a nature lover's paradise. It's a quiet place away from the busy city and extremely laid back. I didn't mind that there was barely any signal on my mobile, it's just a perfect escape. The water is pristine and the resort also offer lessons for kite surfing. The food is excellent to boot. Mon, who owns the resort, is very accommodating and made us feel at home. I would go back here and recommend it to anyone looking for a perfect place to unwind.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Carrie_Borromeo
Reviewed 12 August 2013

While it is a trek to get there, Kingfisher has yet to disappoint us. Even during the off-season, there was enough wind to kite surf, and plenty of activities to keep everyone busy when there is no wind.

They have expanded their rooms and dining, and now have 7 rooms with full bathrooms, as well as the Ocean View rooms overlooking the beach, and 10 new Tiki Huts at the back of the restaurant which use shared bathrooms. We enjoy the sound of the surf, so always opt for the Ocean View rooms. The shared bathrooms/showers are clean and only a few meters walk from the rooms, have hot water and sufficient privacy. For those that like a bit more luxury, the Casitas and Cabanas have their own bathrooms, satellite TV and movies.

For those looking to kite or wind surf, this is an AWESOME spot. During the peak season, there is wind and waves, but be mindful of the tides. During the off-season, there is often still enough wind to have a great session, but also is a great time to use the kayaks and Stand Up Paddle boards, go snorkeling, or just relax in the water with your favorite drink and enjoy to peace and quiet.

The restaurant has expanded, as has the menu. The portions are large, catering to the kite and wind surfers who come off the water hungry. They have great fresh fish when available, and a wide selection of local and international dishes.

Can't wait to go again!

Room Tip: The Ocean View huts are my favorite. If you don't mind shared bathrooms/showers, these are highl...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank Chris_Stolk
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I found out about this resort online. Since I've been to Pagudpud before I decided to stay here for a change on my birthday!

First impression was that the resort was too far from the city center. It is located in a remote area about 30 min tricycle ride from the bus drop off point. Even if it was far I felt at home when its owner Mon Manotok welcomed me as I embarked on the tricycle. That was great personalized service!

We stayed for 2 nights in a beachfront cabin. Although the room doesn't have its own bathroom, I don't see any prob using the shared bathroom. The room was fine with basic amenities. I like the hammock outside the cabin! It was such a wonderful treat to stargaze at night.

We are not kiters or surfers but overall we enjoyed the resort. Will be back hopefully this year!

• Stayed: October 2012
7  Thank Ramon M
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Wonderfil remote and quiet resort. We were there during off-season and even spending a rainy day there was pleasant. Very friendly owner and staff, great food, friendly dogs, and beautiful beach. A place to be back again very soon. In the casitas 1-5 sleep quality depends on your neighbors - if the use ac during the night ;-) But Mon, the owner, was very flexible to allow us changing to one of the Nipa Huts at the beach for having an ac-noise free night.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Alexandra x
Reviewed 23 July 2013

If you've travelled in southeast asia, you know how resorts in sparsely populated areas work. No matter which resort you stay at, you are pretty far from anywhere with decent food, entertainment, comfortable beds, etc etc all the trappings of modern cities. As such, you rely on your chosen resort for all of these things. This really raises the stakes for the resort - you end up having all your meals at the food/hangout area because there is simply nowhere else to eat. Most of your activities will be organized by or inspired by the resort staff also. And that's above and beyond how comfortable the accomodations are.

Well, I loved this place because it nails it in the critical areas - food, activities, and accomodations - and also has tons of little touches that raise it from great to spectacular. The beers (stored in a special super ice cold beer fridge) have those foam cupholder thingies so they don't drip all over the place and stay cold longer, this is kinda rare in the Philippines in general, let alone up north. The water jugs are half-filled and then frozen, when they're served they fill the other half with water so you always have ice cold water. The bathrooms of the casitas have a wide variety of nice shampoos and soaps, not just the cheap ones that smell like crap or don't wash off right. Not that I care much how high quality my shampoo is, but you know, it's an indicator of the quality of this place. It's remote but they really make the experience great. Ooohhhh including, 2 terabytes of movies(and shows) for the flatscreen tv's in the casitas. That's like, 2000 movies or something. So at the end of a day of paddleboarding or kitesurfing or something, you can settle into a nice movie before bed. Man, that is pretty luxurious.

To be so far out and yet have these ridiculous comforts is pretty neat. Thus, I'm writing this review and giving this place 5 stars.

Room Tip: Casita for creature comforts like flatscreen, beach bungalo for being right on the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Alex_Gentry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pagudpud
Hotel Luna
#1 of 4 in Pagudpud
Casa Victoria Beach Resort
Casa Victoria Beach Resort
#3 of 34 in Pagudpud

Been to Kingfisher Resort? Share your experiences!