“Good view from the restaurant but,Smelly bathroom, not kind staff” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Island Tropic Hotel & Restaurant

Island Tropic Hotel & Restaurant
tokyo
“Good view from the restaurant but,Smelly bathroom, not kind staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

I enjoined the good view from the restaurant upstairs.
Breakfast is too oily
And also bathroom was smell of drain pipe
What I made me disappointed most here, was that they naver cared of guest, not at all,
Eventhough we had to stay there five nights because my husband had flue and fever there.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kongtong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

My family and I stayed at this place last Dec 1, 2012. The reviews were good and the prices were reasonable so I booked the place. When we arrived, the "bus boy" was very accommodating and was eager to help us with our bags. Check in was no problem. The room was okay but really basic. The bathroom was a mess though. The drainage didn't work properly and it ended up flooding whenever someone would take a shower.

The walls are also really thin. I could hear our neighbors until the wee hours but what really pissed me off is the management's inconsideration of disturbing the guests' sleep. It was around 9 pm and it lasted until around 11 pm. It sounded like they were moving furniture and letting it bang on the floor as they were handling it carelessly. It was as if they were doing it on purpose. It was annoying and I couldn't sleep. The next morning a guest was also complaining about the noise but the management was unapologetic.

The breakfast was basic but it took them forever to prepare. When we were there, they were also housing some soldier guests and they were a lot. They prioritized their food to the point that the other guests were waiting for an hour for their food! I was already pissed and just left. My point is, they shouldn't take in that many guests if they cannot accommodate them all properly with good service.

The only consolation of this place is that it's already in front of the bay area so it's easy to ride the boat to go island hopping. The place is also priced higher than the neighboring transient homes so I suggest going there instead. Milagros Inn is cheaper and I think worth more. Go there instead.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Alaminos City hotels

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

I checked out all hotels there, and this one is the best and also the best value (although they have gone up in price recently). It is new and clean.

The interior is somewhat on the cheap side. There is no place to put your things in the bathroom.

But there is no question when going back to 100 Islands I will stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marc O
Pasig, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is a so-called hotel. The only thing convenient about it is the location because if you want some place near the bay of Hundred Islands, this is one of the places to go to.

They have a group package which can accommodate 30++ participants (we were 32 including 4 kids). As a package, they offered dinner, set breakfast and lunch for next day. On the upper floor, is their dining area/videoke/mini bar.

Food is so-so and is kind of expensive for the price, e.g., you get to pay 250++ for Sinigang na Sugpo which has 2 pieces of Sugpo and lukewarm soup. They also have fried chicken which is totally dry.

They serve beer which costs about 40-45 pesos. They can let you sing your heart out to their videoke machine (the one which you have to drop a 5-peso coin), but only until 10pm. When we extended until 11pm, we were kinda embarrassed because they tend to show you they're bored, sleepy and would want to go home. Also, apparently, they have ice shortage at 11pm. So we settled with the not-so-cold beer.

The room is small but has double beds, that's why it can accommodate about 6 people. The problem is it tends to have bugs and mosquitoes. For some reason, when we were able to kill 1 big bug, we found out after 30 minutes that a huge pile of black ants came crawling to feed on it.

Also, we were told that the breakfast starts at 7am, unfortunately we were only able to eat at around 730-745am because of 2 reasons:

1. We extended until 11pm so most of them were not able to wake up early.
2. Breakfast doesn't really start before 8am (although we already informed them that we were supposed to go island hopping at exactly 830).

The bathroom tends to overflow. And for some weird reason, the water in the shower stinks. So we were forced to use the faucet.

Try other hotels if you intend to go to Hundred Islands. Perhaps the service and food is better.

Room Tip: Try other hotels.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank lightpacker123
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

The prior reviews are a bit harsh. My girlfriend and I stayed there for one night in mid-January, as a prelude to boating around 100 islands the next morning. Check-in and the open-air restaurant are upstairs on the second level. There are rooms on both the second level and the first level, but I'd recommend staying on the second level. The restaurant is a comfortable place to hang out, and many guests do so, to take advantage of the WiFi. The room was very clean. Hot water was fine. The A/C was a little weak, but adequate. The service at the restaurant was actually very attentive, and the food was fine. The staff were friendly.

If you're going to 100 Islands, I strongly suggest staying at Lucap, rather than in Alaminos City. Alaminos does not have much too offer the traveller, other than being a terminus for Victory Liner and 5 Star bus lines, and having a McDonalds and Jollibees. Lucap is about 4 km away, and it's where you find boats to take you out ot the islands.

We took the boat arranged by the hotel, for 1400 pesos. No doubt it would have been less expensive if we had just arranged our own boat, but at 7 a.m. it was quite a convenience to have the hotel reach a boatman on his cell and make the arrangements for him to pick us up by 7:30 before the other boatmen were around. It turned out to be a great time to take the ride out to the islands. We were virtually only the travellers hopping around the islands at that hour, and we managed to escape the worst heat of the day by doing so.

The boat driver knew all of the places to take us. Snorkelling above the giant clam bed was a real treat. The whole ride took about 3 hours.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank zsea1
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

Best thing about this place is the location. It's right at the boat launch to get out to the islands, so that's convenient. Wifi is another plus but it only works in the dining room. Those are the only reasons for the 2 points.

Now let's talk about the food. Nasty.

And the service: HORRIBLE. What they don't tell you is that it's a training spot for people learning to be helpers or servers. The food always takes a minimum of 30 minutes, no matter how simple an order it is. And there's never an apology or an explanation. Wonder if they go somewhere else to pick up the food...possible since it was never hot. Even so, it was bad.

Before you go assuming I'm a spoiled American, I'm married to a Filipino and his family still lives there. I've been to PI many times. I've stayed in some bad places, all over the world and in The Philippines, but have never had such poor and rude service. I keep hearing how hospitable the Filipino people are but we never found it here.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank KB B
Marikina, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

My friends and I stayed here August 29-30, 2011. It was supposedly a quick stop in our long weekend itinerary.

The room they assigned to us looks new and it was clean. I was satisfied with it because it was big enough to accommodate 3 beds for each of us, it has a dining set, and a separate lavatory/wash area (aside from the one in the bathroom). They have cable and wi-fi (but it was weak, maybe because of the storm).

But what really tripped me off was the customer service.

A super typhoon just went by the country and the areas we passed by to get to Alaminos, Pangasinan from Laoag, Ilocos Norte were flooded. It took us more than the usual 5-6 hours to get there and we arrived 10PM.

The next day it was still raining and I was inquiring about the tours. I told the guy who was cleaning and delivering the food to our room was courteous and very helpful and I was convinced that we can actually have a tour on a tight schedule (we have to leave that day to return to Manila).

So I inquired the "front desk" person if they can allow us a late checkout until 4PM because we plan to shower when we return from the island hopping, anyway we checked-in late and the weather was giving us problems. The person said that we have to pay 100 pesos for the extra hours. I was already a bit miffed about this because there was no consideration for the pains we had to go through just to get there. This is aside from the fact the front desk person kept going in and out of the desk, which was quite rude because I was talking to him. I conferred with my friends, and they were okay with it, so we agreed that we'll pay for the extra hours. However, a few minutes later another front desk person told us that if we decided to do a late checkout and guests arrive and they need the room, they are going to move our stuff out for the other guest.

We were all thinking, why the hell make us pay in the first place if you're not gonna ensure the room to us up to the said time?! They might as well told us they won't allow us a late checkout. Period.

Extremely irritated, we cancelled our plans for that day and decided to checkout early and go back to Manila instead. Talk about ruining your day and your trip.

I just can't help but compare the service. We were in Laoag the day before, the hotel we stayed in was having a hard time because their area was getting pounded by rain and the basement rooms were getting flooded and they had to move stuff while attending to guests - but did their service falter? NO. They were extremely accommodating they even agreed to buy our pasalubong-longganisa for us while we were out. We had a great time.

I would advise the people in Island Tropics to be more accommodating to their guests. Specially in cases like this because come to think about it, some people wouldn't even proceed to go to such far away place with bad weather.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Puerto Del Sol Beach Resort
Value Star Inn
Value Star Inn
#4 of 10 in Dagupan

Been to Island Tropic Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!