“Amazing, wonderful garden!”

London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazing, wonderful garden!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I loved this garden with its amazing plants and wonderful, friendly owner. It is like wandering through a jungle - an unexpected find in England! I was with a group and could only spend an hour there - not enough time to get the full experience. Andrew is a great host/guide and kept us amused with his chat and banter. We were so impressed that we bought some plants there and hope they will grow for us in London - Andrew assured us that they will! We hope to return next year and spend longer there.

Visited August 2014
4 Thank Ann V

Ipswich, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Henstead Exotic Garden”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Before I visited the garden I read these reviews both good and bad. My view is that an awful lot of time and experience has gone into this place and those that understand that would do well to visit. If the rain deters some people perhaps it is better that they stay indoors. Andrew is passionate about what he has achieved and is an excellent communicator. Certainly recent visits by those that know gardens appreciated it as I did. You can see how the compost toilet and cafe have been made from direct raw materials, a lot of good ideas here. Real people put this place together, you can see it did not come out of a catalogue. I loved it, I would like to come back in the rain and see the plants glisten, and then take shelter with some of that excellent cake.

Visited August 2014
4 Thank Alan C
Colchester, United Kingdom
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“An inspiring garden deep in the Suffolk countryside”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This garden is truly amazing, it's like walking into a sub tropical paradise. As you walk along the paths you come across wonderful areas, fantastic coloured musas, (ornamental bananas) palms and tree ferns. The whole garden is truly inspirational, we had a wonderful afternoon being shown around by the owner, Andrew Brogan. Certainly not to be missed.

Visited July 2014
6 Thank Geoffrey I
Andrew b, Owner at Henstead Exotic Garden, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hi there

Thanks very much for your review! You definetely get the garden and appreciate the spirit of the place.
You should see the garden next year on ITV "Britains Best Gardens" as Alan Titchmarsh was here last week filming. He said it was "One of the most sensational gardens he had ever visited" so that was great. Luckily he wrote that in our visitors book!
I have a full visitors comments book of lovely reviews however not many ever get to Trip Advisor so thanks again.
Say hello on your next visit!!

Al best for now, Andrew
Bury St Edmunds Suffolk England
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Poor value for money”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We paid £10 each to visit this garden under the 'Invitation to view' scheme and felt we got very little for our money. I appreciate the garden is meant to represent a jungle, but it feels so overgrown it is very difficult to walk around and the views across the garden from the buildings are limited. Andrew mentioned they had photographs and information boards telling the story of the development of the garden but these were not produced. It was a very wet afternoon (not their fault of course) and there was no provision made for this. A couple of tables were set up in the polytunnel, which was a mess and the afternoon tea consisted of a cup of tea in an assortment of mugs and a slice of what I suspect was shop bought cake. The garden is also open on a Wednesday afternoon at a cost of £4, so if you want to visit I suggest going then instead of wasting the extra money.

Visited June 2014
5 Thank GrahamClarke
Dear Sir,

Alan Titchmarsh visited the garden last week and was truly amazed at what he saw. In fact he stated that "It was one of the most impressive gardens he had ever visited". The garden has been selected for a TV series called "Britains Best Gardens" so I was extremely suprised by your review
As you say it was pouring with rain that day with an inch or so of rain which started just as the tour did. Perhaps you would like to revisit on another Inv To View tour later this year say at the end of this month or next month free of charge so you can experience the proper tour of the garden with the before and after pictures. We really were stressed that day with the weather as we do not normally have to do a tour in such weather. I was waiting for a gap in the weather so that we could do a proper tour
Re the variety of mugs. This is a deliberate "vintage look" that we adopt along with our old shop signs, numerous recycled artefacts in the garden etc. Very very rarely do we use shop bought cakes usually having our cakes hand made from a local cake maker of a high standard

All the best for now, Andrew
Norwich, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Suffolk jungle envy!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Wonderful garden. Lush, overgrown monsters of plants which in my view is just how an exotic garden should be, evocative of a jungle. Great tea and cake too! Looks like more is in the process of development, hope we get to go back to see how it's taking shape.

Visited June 2014