“Great find!”

The Kings Head Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Beccles
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed here on Friday 23rd August and had a lovely time. Our room was on the top floor so a bit hazardous getting up the stairs with luggage if you're not fit able! The room was lovely, really well decorated and a really clean and new bathroom. Price was excellent and the hotel is situated right in the centre of the town. Bar is a typical noisy Weatherspoons but we didn't hear anything in our room. Would recommend!

Reviewed 25 August 2013

I have just finished writing to the manager to see what they intend to do about our stay last Friday.
Let me explain-
My elderly mother has a brother in Beccles and wanted to visit. She phoned the hotel a few months ago as she needs a downstairs room. The room was reserved and she had a confirmatory letter.
We arrived on Friday afternoon and she went to her brothers for a cup of tea, while I went over to the hotel to take our bags. On arrival the receptionist directed me up a flight of stairs.... and so the nightmare began.

I am relatively fit but after climbing a steep flight of stairs with 2 bags, walking down long endless corridors with very shaky directions to the room, I decided that we ought to speak to a manager.

I returned to reception and explained mum could definitely not manage that journey and asked for a manager- someone came, didn't acknowledge me and asked the receptionist what was the problem- they both looked aghast when I had to speak up and say i was the customer. I then had a long interrogation about how the room had been booked, was it online etc. I had to stress it was booked by mum over the phone, they then found it and had to agree it was their mistake.
However they were fully booked and had no other downstairs room- in my mind the best gesture they could have made would be to help us find another hotel and not charge us for the booking to be honest. However I was promised help getting mum up and down the stairs and with our bags when we left- neither of these promises materialised. They did let use use the fire escape stairs, which was a shorter route to the room, but had there been a fire that night it would have been dreadful and quite possibly fatal.
However the saga doesn't end- whilst they allowed us to have a "free meal " on the Friday- that's fish and chips for a fiver each (all we had the energy to eat), the staff were just unbelievable-

the original arrangement was that as we needed to share, they would put up a temporary bed for me to sleep on. This collapsed as soon as I sat on it!! So I had to use half the double bed which was very uncomfortable.

Saturday morning- I ordered a cooked breakfast and toast, mum also had a round of toast. We were bought a knife and fork to use for our two rounds of toast, I asked for another knife and was told "you've got a knife for your cooked breakfast, use that". I did eventually, with reluctance, get a knife, hells teeth what's that about? And what was a fork for ? (when eating toast)

I don't expect an interrogation from staff when I explain a disabled room has been booked.

I expect some positive intervention from someone who cares for customers and realises the effect that bad experiences can have on business reputation.

The room by the way was spacious but very understocked. A state of the art bathroom had no bars on the walk in shower for disabled guests, breach of health and safety regs?, and not even a toothmug- even Premier Inn offer toiletries and toothmugs!!!

I just hope someone from Wetherspoons head office reads this and realises you have litigation waiting to happen at this establishment.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Rosy0
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here on Saturday 17th August. First impressions were good, lady on reception very helpful, made our way up to room 201 and was very pleasantly surprised, lovely room, didnt like the fact that the beds were just behind the door though. Had a separate little room with the kettle etc in and another area with a sofa, side table and two little pouffes. Bathroom was very modern and bright. Very impressed with room apart from the fact that all the lights were on one switch which meant that you couldnt have your bedside light on without lighting up the rest of the place. Great start so far. We went off to get some food and had a drink. Went to bed about midnight and there was a bit of noise which was fair enough as we were staying in a Wetherspoons. Knew the place shut at one which was ok. However, was a lot of noise after one which I can only assume was coming from the staff downstairs in the bar. This went on for quite a while but I was woken up at 4 am by very loud talking and banging outside the door followed by a lot of water being thrown about and a carpet cleaner starting up, doors banging and people charging about. Put up with this until 5 by which time I had had enough and went to complain. Found out then that room 201 is a few yards from the pub toilets and the stairs to the bar with the cleaners cupboard next door. Found someone in charge and was told that as the pub opened again at 7am they had to start the cleaning at 4. Said that was fair enough but the cleaners didnt have to slam the doors everytime they went through it (one did exactly that as I was talking, which proved my point). They said they would be quieter so I went back to the room. At 5.30 nothing had changed so my husband got up and had a few words. Was offered a free breakfast as recompense. Didnt really want it - just wanted some sleep - but had it anyway - eggs benedict but the eggs were like bullets - was all complained out by then so left. Anyway - I would go back and stay there again as it was a lovely hotel, nice rooms and reasonably priced but would get a room a lot further away from the bar. So only have room 201 if you are deaf or intend to drink so much you pass out!

Room Tip: DO NOT HAVE ROOM 201 - unless you are deaf.
1  Thank KimGordelier
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Right in the centre of Beccles, we were very happy with this hotel. Comfortable, friendly, well equipped and convenient. Mind your head if tall like us and in an upper room and look out for the short cuts to the rooms but the beams and corridors add to the feel of this hotel.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights 18th to 20th August. Really quaint, comfortable and clean room, shower/wet room well designed, towels lush. Bed comfy, Staff attentive, meals excellent value for money. Right in the middle of Beccles with plenty of outside garden space. Very close to several beaches, lovely area. Look forward to returning,

Room Tip: Although room 2008 is lovely, there is an extractor fan on the roof which can be very noisy.
Reviewed 17 August 2013

What a lovely meal, very well cooked, well done wetherspoons, the menu is loads better and the service here was amazing as the restaurant was sooo busy. We all really enjoyed our meals and a lovely atmosphere for families and very friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The refurbishment of the previous buildings has been carried out with sensitivity and style. The vast public areas are an interesting hodge podge of different sizes and styles. The bar has a wide selection of excellent real ales. Food is very good, standard JDW fare. Well presented, tasty and for the price, a real steal.

The room we had was large and very well furnished. Bathroom fittings for example are not the cheapest (Grohl) and all the refurb work has been carried out to a high standard.

It is worth remembering when booking a JDW hotel that they are extremely popular places and popular with those who like a beer or two. Hence - expect some noise till the bar shuts (12:00 midnight). The vacuuming and furniture moving has to happen some time. If you sleep lightly, you'll notice this happens about 0300.

I would easily come back here and would urge anyone thinking about it to book up and go. Beccles is a lovely town with a lot to see if you like stately, impressive houses and buildings or walking by the river.

The only thing I urge JDW to sort out Is the availability of Gluten Free bread products. There was nothing available at breakfast on our first morning and as (eg) Tesco sell (GF) wraps, rolls, seeded cobs, brown loaves, pitta breads, sliced loaves, ciabatta breads, nan breads, muffins and crumpets, there really is no excuse for having nothing available.

Room Tip: Ask for room higher than 1st floor to avoid noise from bars below.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beccles
Waveney House Hotel
Best Western The Hotel Hatfield
The Castle Inn
The Castle Inn
#1 of 1 in Bungay

Been to The Kings Head Hotel? Share your experiences!