“Disgusting”

The King's Head Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 63 Restaurants in Beccles
Price range: US$1 - US$15
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated in the centre of the Suffolk market town of Beccles, The Kings Head Hotel is an imposing building. The hotel has served visitors to the town for centuries and, following an extensive refurbishment is all set to embark on an exciting new era. While retaining the traditional character of the hotel, the restoration has brought the facilities bang up to date, providing high levels of comfort for visitors. The hotel has a total of 20 bedrooms, comprising four family rooms, two twin rooms, one room with disabled access and facilities and 13 double rooms. The rooms all feature an en suite bathroom, tea- and coffee-making facilities, TV and hair dryer.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We visited for breakfast instead of our usual place, 4.18 for 2 orange juices out of a carton, one had lipstick on. I had a gluten free breakfast which came out with a smashed up egg, stone cold bacon and a burnt tomato,we got a refund for the 2 breakfast which was enedible but still lost out money on the plastic juice. You might get a cheap breakfast but they got to at least serve it hot. Just give it a miss and go across the road. Never ever again will I eat at the kings head beccles.

Kings H, Manager at The King's Head Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your visit.

Clearly we let you down with the quality of the breakfast. This is not our usual standard- we often sell around 1500 Breakfasts over a week!

Our Orange Juice may come from a carton, but it is real orange juice, and a popular item.

I do hope you will reconsider and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

As with all Wetherspoons this was good. But ... We had dogs with us (may I say well behaved as they just lie quietly under tables) and our poor dogs were expected to share a small smokers area at the front. Not one of our dogs murmured 'foul' as we kept hearing from those in-doors before England scored another goal. No not one murmour if why cannot we go to the side of the pub where there are lots of tables for non-smokers. In my 60+ years I have yet to see a dog smoking! So why the ban? Inside the pub, ok, I'll buy into that. However, I will ask, what has happened to the dog lying by the roaring fire of the pub? It's about time Wetherspoons changed this policy, after all we don't want you to miss a trick that a dog could do.

Hello,

We have two external seating areas- the enclosed back garden, and the tables along the side of the building- there are around 18 tables to chose from here. Unfortunately, we do not allow dogs in the enclosed seating area. An exception to this would be assistance dogs, who are welcome anywhere.

We don't do this to make a comment on the behaviour of any individual dog, but it is applied to any and all non-assistance dogs.

I hope this clears up any questions you have regarding our policy.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

One of the worst value for money meals I've ever had. I ordered jacket with chilli beef, salad and sour cream. There was less than half a table spoon of filling; it didn't even cover the jacket. I complained and was told this was a 'portion. Never in a million years was that a portion! I asked for my money back and was given a full refund. That meal was just not worth the money. Pity, because in general Wetherspoons do offer good value, but sadly not on this occasion.

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. We work hard to serve our meals to the standards you would expect. It is the aim of our company to ensure that you would receive the same meal no matter which of our many sites you have ordered from.

Obviously this time, you feel let down by the portion size. I apologise for this, and your feedback will be taken into account and forwarded on to our catering department.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Eaten here loads of times. Food always fault free. 3 meals and drinks 2 alcoholic £16 odd, always arrives within 10 minutes at the most .
Only reason not got 5 stars , bar staff don't keep an eye on who's next

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am glad you enjoy your meals when you visit and the value for money we offer.

We do try our hardest to make sure we serve in turn at the bar. As you know, the bar is quite long and sometimes we do make mistakes in this regard. It is something we continue to work on as a team to improve your visits in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

On the 18th April we popped over to Beccles for lunch at the Wetherspoons Kings Head. We ended up opting for jackets, beans on one and 5 bean chilli on the other, (the bean burrito was our favourite until it was removed from the menu and it was too hot for the curry, but I digress), we clearly stated those meals needed to be vegan (no butter etc.), There was also one non-vegan meal. Meals arrived, waiter announced 'chilli con carne'....... they'd brought out some minced up cow instead of the 5 bean chilli I'd ordered. So that went back and I waited for a replacement meal whilst the others started to eat. In the meantime My Daughter found some grass, actual grass with little roots, in her salad, I have attached a picture taken of the said grass. Never before have I experienced anything quite like this.
Turned out that they couldn't tell us if the salad dressing was vegan either, we were all suspicious so didn't have it but they had nothing else that they could offer as a salad dressing. It was upsetting as this was meant to be a nice relaxing lunch out with family and friends but it turned in to anything but.
To my mind it was as if the place was being run by kids who didn't have a clue and didn't care, I thought it would have been a requirement to be able to tell someone if there was an allergen in a particular food and to serve a vegan with some minced up corpse was utterly disgraceful, let alone the 'joke' with the grass.
I was not going to complain, I was just never going to go back to Wetherspoons full stop, however, since posting our experience to one of our Facebook discussion pages and discussing with family and friends everyone wanted me to take this further as they were of the opinion that the kitchen staff deliberately sent out the meat meal and also put the grass in my Daughters salad - it has also been suggested that they may well have tampered with our meals in other ways too. Are we able to trust your staff to follow simple instructions or do you not want to welcome vegans, vegetarians and people with various allergies or religious beliefs to your establishments?
We regularly get together for lunch and Wetherspoons had been our place of choice due to there normally being a selection for everyone but we are so very disappointed that this could happen that we have been disheartened and are reluctant to repeat the experience.
I am well aware that you need to make a profit and to that end, you will probably employ a high percentage of younger, less experienced and lower waged staff, however, to deliberately tamper with food in such a manner is inexcusable.

1  Thank Rebecca T

Dear Rebecca,

First, I would like to address the salad dressing. We do have a selection of 'Choice' Menus, that list meals which are suitable for Vegans and Vegetarians, as well as menus for those with an allergy/intolerance of Dairy and Gluten. We also have an 'Allergen Folder' which is available at the bar, which lists every meal alongside the key allergens, allowing you to check any combination of meals and sides.

I can only apologise for what I can assure you is an honest mistake- "Chilli Con Carne" and "5 Bean Chilli" are both on the same screen on our tills. As you know, when alerted to this mistake, we took the meal away and prepared a suitable replacement for you.

However, I must say that the rest of your review is completely unfounded. I can assure you that I have faith in my team to not "tamper" with any meals we send out from our kitchen. As a matter of fact, our Kitchen Manager is himself a Vegetarian, and would not find this amusing in the slightest. Had you alerted us to the 'grass' found in your salad, we would have replaced this as well.

Mixed Salad comes to us bagged, and it clearly has been bagged up with some salad leaves in error. Once again, I assure you that we have not done anything malicious with yours, or any meals.

We sell a large number of Vegetarian and Vegan Meals every day. As a company, our 'Sweet Potato Curry' has won an award at the 'Peta Vegan Food Awards'. We have a 5 Star Food Hygiene Rating, and we hold ourselves to a very high standard. Once again, I apologise for the mistakes that were made on the day, as clearly they have turned your visit into an unpleasant one.

Kind Regards,