“short break”
Review of The Swan Motel

The Swan Motel
Ranked #1 of 10 Beccles B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2012

stayed here with partner and best friend for two nights over jubilee foundrooms freezing but heater provided which was nice.found room clean and tidy and just right for two nights plus at a decent price which was good .because of its locality found it brillant to see a chunk off local area which was enjoyed .good hearty breakfast set one up for the day which was a plus good beer and host remembered name on arrival was again was a plus .

Room Tip: all rooms are very good and of a decent size and a decent price even for singles
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank caz083

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Being an area manager I have stayed in hotels all over the place whilst doing a new store opening in Beccles my team and I needed somewhere to stay the town and the big branded hotels were full, After speaking to a local in Beccles, told me to try the Swan, on arrival I thought it looked ok but nothing special, as I entered I was greeted by Russell the owner, and I have to say you could not meet a nicer person he had rooms for us all. We all arrived in the evening and Russ even remembered my name, he booked all of us in too us to our rooms to make sure we were all happy which we were, every room is immaculate warm and cosy. We all went back to the main building for dinner, we ordered from the menu, after about 20 minutes our food arrived it was fantastic we all cleared out plates.During our stay I also met Sharon who is Russels wife, she is lovely and as freindly as Russ, since our stay I have been back there several times and tonight I have just eaten off the new menu which is a sensation if you are here for a short stay the food and beer are freindly people are just what you need after a long day at work, if you are on holiday you are up the road from Great Yarmouth or Lowestoft.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very similar, all clean and fresh
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Geoff C
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We decided what to eat from the menu which seemed to have variety and ordered a drink Wellllll...as we sat near the fire it became apparent that it was the local alcoholics pub with a lot of commotion going on, one lady was particularly loud with offensive language, The group had a Bull Terrier and German Shepherd which the waitress stroked every time she went past on the way to the kitchen, The meal it self was horrible with my 13year old storming out refusing to eat it with meat being cold, the 3 roast potatoes tasted greasy and the yorkshire pudding(where do I start) and no veg. The soup was a tin of tomatoes pureed and the chips left a nasty taste in my mouth.My partners was a plate of mush and my roast beef was nasty and stone cold with hot gravy poured over.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Sammy G
Mgt123344, Owner at The Swan Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2012

We are the owners of this pub(Sharon and Russell Todd) and feel that part of this reveiw is certainly inappropriate as we welcome all people from all walks of life in our pub, and that has always been how we run our business. It is grossley unfair for the person who wrote this reveiw to label and incorrectly assume someone or persons at large as being 'alcoholics' . This is a pub and we serve alcohol that is our core business! We don't and will not discriminate against anyone, and certainly don't go around calling our customers alcoholics! The person this reviewer refers to as an 'alcoholic' found this very offensive and casts a very negative shadow on our business. We refuse to have our hotel/pub branded as a ' local alcoholics pub' . People come from different walks of life and we accept them as they are as long as they are obviously not causing any trouble for anyone.We are a pet friendly village pub and the pets are always on a leash and never allowed in the restaurant area. I would also like to add that we do not serve tinned soup. All our soup is homemade and I don’t know why this reviewer felt that the soup came from a tin!

Reviewed 14 November 2011

very friendly great food and well priced. had a great evening/stay. very friendly staff. would recommend

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank robbiepolson
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I booked for me and my partner to stay here on a sunday night (unfortunately the restaurant isnt open on a sunday but cant wait to come back and try it as the menu looks fab!!) The welcome was genuinly warm and friendly, the room was lovely and they had live music on the sunday night in the bar which was a nice way to see in the evening. Even though it was a live band the music didnt disturb us in our room one bit. Please do not be put off by some of the bad reviews on here.... they have clearly done a lot of work to the place since they were written as we couldnt fault it one bit. Go and try it for yourself!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandraslc
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I booked a meal for myself and 9 friends as we wanted to sample the delights of the South African Menu.All the staff were very friendly and couldnt do enough for us. We all enjoyed our meal and would definitely recommend the food as it was delicious.
i think the new owners are doing a first class job of bringing the Swan back to where it was in the old days.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank warhome
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Stayed here in June the new owners are lovely people and have done a excelent job. In doing the motel
up. Food was great we had the southafrican menu as we love south african food it was excellant. Rooms were clean with tv and tea and coffee. Lovely clean crisp White sheets. And fluffly towels lovely friendly family atmesphere we will be busting again thank you russ and Sharon . From the bloweys

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Bloweys
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beccles
The Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bungay
Orchards Retreat
Orchards Retreat
#1 of 1 in Raveningham

Been to The Swan Motel? Share your experiences!