“Adequate”

Waveney House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Beccles
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel last weekend. Accommodation was clean and tidy. Carpets seemed a bit worn. Room was very hot but a fan had been provided. The bathroom was under the eaves so that you could not stand up to have a shower which was awkward. Breakfast was ok. Would probably stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 August 2014

If I had listened to some of the other reviews on here I would have missed a gem in the middle of Beccles. Took my husband out to lunch for his birthday, we have had a great experience, sitting outside by the river with a delicious lunch was just what we needed to celebrate his birthday. We will be coming back again probably once a week at least.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teresa M
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just called in for a couple of pints on the terrace, so cannot comment about the quality of food or rooms - all I can say is that the beer was good and so was the service. Dining area looks a bit too modern/sterile for me, and not very inviting, but I would give it a go if I was there at lunchtime. Will go back

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel for two nights while attending a wedding and reception - the latter held within the hotels function suite.

This is a nice hotel in a great location overlooking the river with a pleasant outside terrace. It has 12 rooms, 7 of which I saw inside. All were well furnished and individual in style with some original features such as exposed beams. Two featured four poster beds and river views - others look out over the car park or towards the town centre.

Rooms were nicely decorated and very clean. All had en-suite bathrooms. Some rooms lack showers - they have a shower attachment over the bath but no shower curtain or screen meaning that the shower attachment is not suitable for stand up use. Rooms were very hot at night but fans are provided in the rooms. Rooms also had a digital radio alarm clock which is a nice touch.

Breakfast was a bit hit and miss - on the first morning of our stay the service was prompt and efficient. The hot food order is taken at the table and food arrived quickly and was very nice. This was not the case on the second morning - service was very slow and some of our party were unimpressed with their breakfast.

Some of the staff are very pleasant and helpful - though others appeared disinterested - a more of a focus on consistent customer service is probably needed. All food and drink from the bar has to be paid for at the time of ordering - you cannot set up a tab, again a bit frustrating.

The function room itself for the wedding reception was well appointed, tables nicely decorated and the quality of the food was very good.

Room Tip: Rooms 6 and 7 overlook the river and have four poster beds and large bathrooms. Rooms 3, 8 and 10...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Andy N
Reviewed 27 July 2014

On Saturday 26th July 2014 my husband and I stopped at the Waveney Hotel for a drink. We have stopped for a drink several times before. The hotel is well presented with pleasant staff and an idyllic view of the broads. I had a glass of wine and my husband had a pint of Wherry which was very nice so we decided to have lunch. We both ordered grilled chicken which came with chips, mushroom, tomato, onion rings and salad and cost £11 each. I must say I was surprised when the meal arrived with a streak knife on the side of the plate. However, I soon discovered why, the chicken was so over cooked it was like leather. Unfortunately it got worse, the onion rings and chips were just swimming in grease and the mushroom was uncooked. I gave my chicken to my dogs as that was all it was fit for. I cannot understand how a hotel can employ a chef who is incapable of cooking the most basic meals. The food is on a par with an 80s basket meal from a pub not what you would expect from a well presented hotel and at restaurant prices. We will definitely not be eating there again, such a shame!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicki S
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Had a lovely river view and beautiful room overlooking. Clean hotel and there welcoming, when talking to staff and asking for places to visit and go. Nice atmosphere when sat in the bar, pleasant staff.

Food and drink well priced and the Breakfast was very filling.

Looking forward to going back again, will book longer next time.

Prices are not cheap but well worth it if you pay a little extra.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

If a well-loved family member dies who is the last of their generation and a large, far-flung and warm-hearted family gather for their passing, the event may turn into a rather special reunion. And the Waveney was well up to the task. The late-lunchtime buffet for the wake was terrific - if anything there was too much food, which we hope didn't go to waste. At the last minute I was able to stay on overnight and the only room still left was the Riverside, facing right over the river and looking out over the beginning of the Norfolk Broads. The four-poster bed and the room itself were wonderful. Though I had paid quite a bit extra, I could see why. The smaller family dinner in the evening was excellent; we all enjoyed it and my roast belly pork was beautifully cooked and quite lean - certainly not too greasy. The next morning the range of cereals for breakfast was not that huge, but they are a small hotel with only 12 bedrooms so they don't have huge numbers of guests.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rob J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beccles
The Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bungay
The Hotel Victoria
The Hotel Victoria
#6 of 10 in Lowestoft

Been to Waveney House Hotel? Share your experiences!