“Horrible service, terrible meal.”

Romantic Hotel Mlyn Karlstejn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Karlstejn
“Horrible service, terrible meal.”
Reviewed 29 May 2011

We went to dinner one night with 4 Czechs and 3 Americans.five of us ordered the trout, one ordered the pork, another something else. After it took 2 1/2 hours to receive our food, I was thinking it better be good. Really, 2 1/2 hours, no joke. They had said they had to get catch the trout, gut it, etc. However, the trout tank was right next to us, not far at all. Once we received our meal, everyone at that once famished, I took one bite of my rice and wanted to spit it out. It was sitting in a pile a could water, tasted horrible, and wasn't even the consistency of rice. My trout was just OK, edible, not too exciting. Though, I had to give about half of it away because someone else who ordered trout got something that wasn't trout, completely inedible fish, with black mud coming out of the middle, also which smelled and tasted like a dirty basement. Complaining to the waiter that this fish was not a trout, but more so, not even edible, he seemed to dismiss the idea that the customer should be satisfied with their meal. Nope, not a care in the world. After leaving the meal on her plate, dishes we cleared. It was 9 30 pm at that point, and as I said we arrived around 6 45, and it took 2 1/2 hours to receive our food. My father wanted to order another bottle of wine, at which point the waitress replied, sorry sir, our restaurant is closed now. Maybe closed for us, because at that point, they decided they didn't like us, and the fact that a disgusting fish couldn't be eaten, they didn't feel like serving us anymore. Yet, e table behnd us just began to order their food...funny how those things work. My father, a Czech American, spoke to the other waiter, and the bottle of wine did need up coming. Our meal was over, we wanted to leave and get desert and coffee somewhere else. But, the best part, before we left, my father pulled the waiter over and began speaking to him in Czech. He said that he had never been treated so poorly in a restaurant, had never experienced service so bad, and that there was not a care in the world in pleasing the customer. I ws furious, didn't even want him to pay, though, he said at that point, it's not even about the money. The waiter replied, oh, but, I'm just a poor waiter...point of my story is that however a restaurant may be, the customer is first priority. Here, at the lovely Romanticky hotel, the customer doesn't matter, the food is horrible, but, they do have a camel!

• Stayed May 2011

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 7 February 2011

It is a nice hotel with the great Relax zone. I have booked the room and that zone once in 2009 and in December 2010 visited only for Diner and relaxation. Very quaite place out of the town center Karlstejn. Very romantic spot for two. In the restaurant you get a good choice with the Czech and season specialities. Stuff is very friendly. According the price- a little owerpriced for province unless you want to be far away from the city or search a special place for romance for two....

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Despite the reviews here I really wasn't sure what to expect, but was quite impressed on my arrival at Karlstejn, a gorgeous town not far over Prague (I spent the previous night visiting Prague). The Hotel Mlyn Karlstejn is probably the best hotel in Karlstejn, sitting just across from the peaceful gardens that run up the spine of the town. The famous animal pavillon is just across the road and the pitch and putt is right next door. The hotel develops on two floors: the ground floor (: note handicap entry is easiest at the town end of the hotel. The underground floor is the spa section of the hotel, with marvelous marble columned relax--not lap pools but soaking and have whirlpool bubbles. The desk hands out towels and wrapping sheets used in the sauna. In this area of the spa are massage rooms, something called a Clea room (on order, not open to the public), etc. At the far end of this section of the hotel is a sauna (mixed sex, all are either wrapped though people in there alone did uncover to take advantage of the heat)… a Cleopatra bath (I think that is what it is called: one walks through hot water, then switches to cold water walking, around three times), and a platform of chairs with foot soaking basins which I never saw anyone using. The hotel was booked to capacity during my stay but no section ever seemed too crowded.
I got the comprehensive spa package for one week: not enough time to make any health improvement). On arrival day I was given a doctor's appt., first seeing a nurse to give a history, then the doc later on. It is fairly cursary.
My daughter joined me on Thursday and then we did some optional beauty things: the best were a foot reflex massage and a facial. On Saturday I had what was supposed to be an Aphrodite massage which was a total disaster. My daughter's Saturday massage was a disappointment, too. Here's what we learned: don't get the optional treatments on the weekend: the team is playing with substitutes.
The hotel is immaculate and well kept with staff busy shining things all day long.
The rooms are comfortable with good storage, a desk and TV (Satellite), mini-fridge, queen sized bed extremely comfortable. There was a welcome packet of bottled mineral water and big fruit tray, and fresh fluffy white terry robes and new terry slippers to wear. The bathroom had two sinks on a long marble slab, a deep tub with a strong hand-held shower, a heated towel bar, hanging hooks, etc. Linens were perfect and plentiful.
I found the desk staff helpful if not oozing with friendliness: there were one or two unhappy desk clerks but on the whole the reception was professional.
The clients were either Russian (the large majority) and German. Few people spoke English (I did have a halting conversation with some Russian school-aged children).
The one down side of the Karlstejn-and I am not complaining-is that the cuisine was just adequate. I quickly learned to order chicken when offered choices. The good news is that there was a wonderful salad bar and some of the best soups I have had in a long time. The breakfast buffet offering included many healthy choices as well as things like scrambled eggs, etc.
There is a bar by the dining room, really nice but basically unused by the somewhat elderly clientele. The Cafe Clea by the spa, however, was wonderful and served nice coffees (the desserts looked superb) at very reasonable prices: I went there every day to read the International Herald Tribune). During my stay the weather was still chilly but I think that the outdoor terrace of the cafe and the courtyard of the bar would be very popular in fine weather.
Karlstejn has some shopping, but it is not Rodeo Drive stuff--mainly tchochies.. there are cafes scattered around and hotels galore. My one experience having a meal in town was disastrous: dining in hotels is what is done in Karlstejn, so free standing restaurants don't seem to strive for excellence. On a side street we found a nice little place called Svejk bar that had live music in the evening. It was the place to enjoy a Staropramen beer--
My Comprehenive Spa Package included room and three meals a day, and three treatments per day. At the end of it all I found it an amazing value for money and came away totally refreshed. What more can you ask? All services and extras are very reasonably priced at the Karlstejn.
I went over to Karlstejn for a look and found it to be a more commercial, "normal" city than Karlstejn, less pleasing to the eye.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 29 August 2010

We spent in this hotel almost 3 days with friends and relatves. This place is romantic indeed and I think becasue of this reason it has been chosen for wedding by my friends. River and nature surrond the hotel, far from noise etc. It gives you opportunity to relax and feel separate of the rest of the world :)
What I was disappointed with - service in the restaurant and its menu as a such. First point can be skip since in Czech republic it's rare case when you are served well in restaurant but the second - no - there was nothing from Czech cuisine in menu and everything what we saw in menu was doubtful.
Anyway organization of ceremony was very good and other stuff was very nice. Rooms were clean, comfotable and with nice view from the window!
If you want to bring your friends here or come as a couple - I recommend!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
fresno
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Many thanks for all services.
t was the first time we had visited the town of Karlstejn and it was a revelation to discover how pretty it was, and also how popular with visitors from far and near.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
prague
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Thank you very much for all hotel services, especially for room comfort and cleanness.
Breakfast during my December stay was delicious, Petra :-)
Many thanks,indeed....................

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
prague
Reviewed 23 August 2009

This hotel, situated a few meters from a busy railroad track offers no romance, but unbearably noisy music on thursdays, fridays and saturdays. Unless you are a fan of Czech disco jusic from the eighties, this is definitely a no-go place. Rooms clean and generally OK, boring meals.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karlstejn
Praha 5
Praha 5
Hotel General
Hotel General
#22 of 649 in Prague
Mala Strana (Little Quarter)
Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa
Bellevue Hotel Karlov
#1 of 5 in Benesov

Been to Romantic Hotel Mlyn Karlstejn? Share your experiences!