“Romantic place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Karlstejn
Kromeriz, Czech Republic
“Romantic place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

We only say that our stay was really romantic -always recommended for young visitors,especially many thanks for accommodation services and very profesional staff.

Room Tip: very nice room 203 with river side
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

We got interesting tip on trip, during our stay in Prague – medieval castle Karsltejn, located in small village 20 kilometers outside Prague. We took a train there from Prague main station and after about 30 minutes we arrived to a picturesque little town on the river Berounka. We crossed the river, climbed up the hill, using old royal route filled with various shops and stands, to the fabulous castle, surrounded by woods. The castle is fantastic and very well preserved. If you want to see its interiors, you have to take one of the three types of tours. Two of them need to be reserved beforehand because of its popularity and limited number of people who are allowed to enter. However, the biggest surprise which we have discovered, in Karsltejn, was restaurant in hotel Mlyn, located just across the river, on left side of the castle. The hotel can be seen when arriving to Karlstejn, it is on the river bank with its own private island. We stop by there for late lunch, hopping that hotel will provide certain level of services which other restaurant, in the vicinity of the castle, with plastic furniture, apathetic waiters and over priced unhealthy food, seem to lack. When arriving to the hotel, we were immediately impressed by the manor-look of the whole area. It was like arriving to a fairy tale – picturesque court in front of the hotel with old decorated well and beautifully painted dovecote. The hotel restaurant is was also very impressive, solid wooden floor, massive bar, comfortable furniture and big terrace with beautiful river view. The offered menu is mainly composed of fresh fishes (you can choose your fish from the fish tank) and steaks, although they have also some meals for vegetarians. We were seated on the sunny terrace and ordered sea bass in salt curst and two rainbow trout with basmati rice and beef steak with baked potatoes. The preparation of the meals took little longer, but it was ok since we were informed beforehand that fishes, especially the sea bass need more time in kitchen, and believe me it was worth waiting. The sea bass was splendid and trout – I am having troubles to find the right words to describe the pleasure I had eating it, but you can be sure that freshness really matters and in restaurant Mlyn the fishes are as fresh as they can be. The beefsteak looked also attractive and from what I heard the meat was absolutely fantastic, very soft and juicy. After we finished our meals we ordered lime sorbets with coffees and enjoyed the beautiful view from the terrace. The whole experience from this place was just perfect, from warm welcoming in the reception, friendly and professional waiters, fresh and tasty meals to breath taking river views. The only downside was waiting time for the fishes, but hey I guess some meals are worth waiting for and this is certainly the case. I can nothing but recommend this restaurant to anybody who finds himself looking for upstanding service and fresh, tasty meals in Karlstejn. Actually I would recommend this facility to anybody who is traveling in Czech lands, because this place truly a small jewel among restaurants. Thank you restaurant Mlyn for great time !!!!

Dartmouth, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

We stayed two nights at the Myln Karlstejn, including a night of the Romantic Package. The hotel is (for us) perfectly located on the river Berounka, with nicely manicured grounds on the river's bank and a very nice terrace overlooking the river and the farmland on the other side.

Upon entering our room there was a nice fruit plate, a beautiful rose and rose petals in the bath - all nice touches included with the romantic package. Unfortunately, and this is the only down side of our stay our room (203) was very dark. There is only one window and the number of internal lights is, in our view, very inadequate. This feedback was provided so hopefully the hotel will add a couple more lamps near the desks. The bathroom is large and bright, with a motion detector light - no switch needed, which was nice in the middle of the night. One benefit of being on the riverside is the peaceful sound of the river below. The view out the window is also very enjoyable and tranquil.

There is no special romantic meal, you simply order from the menu with a credit, but staff did a superb job in making the meal special, with a nice tablecloth, rose petals on the table, candlelight, and very attentive service. While a couple of other reviews have been critical of the food our experience was just the opposite. We ate at the restaurant both nights - once on the very nice terrace, the other in the restaurant at a table with a great view across the river, and were very pleased with both meals. I am not normally a big eater of fish, but had trout one night and zender the other - both local and both very good. Service was top-notch. All our other dishes and desserts were also very good and well presented. Breakfast was good with a fellow cooking eggs and/or pancakes at your request, another nice offer.

Needing to leave early (before breakfast began) to catch a flight the receptionist offered to have a breakfast package (sandwiches and fruit) prepared for us the previous evening - a very nice gesture.

Easy parking and good internet connection in the room

The only thing holding us back from an 'Excellent' assessment was the darkness of room, which can be addressed with some improved lighting. Otherwise, the Myln Karlstejn enjoys a great location (if you like the peace and quite of a rural river and beautiful grounds - and yes there is a rail line nearby but it is well-hidden by a bluff of trees and the sound of the trains barely noticeable), has pleasant staff providing very attentive service, and excellent meals.

If back in the area we would certainly return.

Room Tip: Certainly stay in a room facing the river.
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

We have bought a 1 night accommodation as a part of Relax package. In general their Romantic room I found no so nice as a regula DBL room. This romantic room is a kind of Attic room. Candlelight dinner excluding alcohol was included in price: startes and fish was extermely good but side dish - patato - was just awful, both that we ordered - boiled and backed. Breakfast was great! Wide choice of food and with the possiblity to be served in the hotel room or at the outside terrase. Excellent! Both waiters ( at dinner and at breakfast time) were very professional and friendly! As for Wellness center - it is very nice and cozy, with a Finnish sauna and whirlpool bath , but we have not got slippers and bath rob - we have found only one set and it was not prepared for us becuase we had to look around to find it. And very dissapointing that there was not warm water in the shower in Wellness center that was just necessary after peeling shower gel that we were going to use. Wi-Fi Internet connection was very slow in the room. Only Czech TV chanles. We found very nice to walk around and feed a camel and the donkeys. Do not miss it!!! So when we come back we will ask the stuff about double check of these small inconviniences.

1 Thank September73
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

We went to dinner one night with 4 Czechs and 3 Americans.five of us ordered the trout, one ordered the pork, another something else. After it took 2 1/2 hours to receive our food, I was thinking it better be good. Really, 2 1/2 hours, no joke. They had said they had to get catch the trout, gut it, etc. However, the trout tank was right next to us, not far at all. Once we received our meal, everyone at that once famished, I took one bite of my rice and wanted to spit it out. It was sitting in a pile a could water, tasted horrible, and wasn't even the consistency of rice. My trout was just OK, edible, not too exciting. Though, I had to give about half of it away because someone else who ordered trout got something that wasn't trout, completely inedible fish, with black mud coming out of the middle, also which smelled and tasted like a dirty basement. Complaining to the waiter that this fish was not a trout, but more so, not even edible, he seemed to dismiss the idea that the customer should be satisfied with their meal. Nope, not a care in the world. After leaving the meal on her plate, dishes we cleared. It was 9 30 pm at that point, and as I said we arrived around 6 45, and it took 2 1/2 hours to receive our food. My father wanted to order another bottle of wine, at which point the waitress replied, sorry sir, our restaurant is closed now. Maybe closed for us, because at that point, they decided they didn't like us, and the fact that a disgusting fish couldn't be eaten, they didn't feel like serving us anymore. Yet, e table behnd us just began to order their food...funny how those things work. My father, a Czech American, spoke to the other waiter, and the bottle of wine did need up coming. Our meal was over, we wanted to leave and get desert and coffee somewhere else. But, the best part, before we left, my father pulled the waiter over and began speaking to him in Czech. He said that he had never been treated so poorly in a restaurant, had never experienced service so bad, and that there was not a care in the world in pleasing the customer. I ws furious, didn't even want him to pay, though, he said at that point, it's not even about the money. The waiter replied, oh, but, I'm just a poor waiter...point of my story is that however a restaurant may be, the customer is first priority. Here, at the lovely Romanticky hotel, the customer doesn't matter, the food is horrible, but, they do have a camel!

• Stayed May 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

It is a nice hotel with the great Relax zone. I have booked the room and that zone once in 2009 and in December 2010 visited only for Diner and relaxation. Very quaite place out of the town center Karlstejn. Very romantic spot for two. In the restaurant you get a good choice with the Czech and season specialities. Stuff is very friendly. According the price- a little owerpriced for province unless you want to be far away from the city or search a special place for romance for two....

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

Despite the reviews here I really wasn't sure what to expect, but was quite impressed on my arrival at Karlstejn, a gorgeous town not far over Prague (I spent the previous night visiting Prague). The Hotel Mlyn Karlstejn is probably the best hotel in Karlstejn, sitting just across from the peaceful gardens that run up the spine of the town. The famous animal pavillon is just across the road and the pitch and putt is right next door. The hotel develops on two floors: the ground floor (: note handicap entry is easiest at the town end of the hotel. The underground floor is the spa section of the hotel, with marvelous marble columned relax--not lap pools but soaking and have whirlpool bubbles. The desk hands out towels and wrapping sheets used in the sauna. In this area of the spa are massage rooms, something called a Clea room (on order, not open to the public), etc. At the far end of this section of the hotel is a sauna (mixed sex, all are either wrapped though people in there alone did uncover to take advantage of the heat)… a Cleopatra bath (I think that is what it is called: one walks through hot water, then switches to cold water walking, around three times), and a platform of chairs with foot soaking basins which I never saw anyone using. The hotel was booked to capacity during my stay but no section ever seemed too crowded.
I got the comprehensive spa package for one week: not enough time to make any health improvement). On arrival day I was given a doctor's appt., first seeing a nurse to give a history, then the doc later on. It is fairly cursary.
My daughter joined me on Thursday and then we did some optional beauty things: the best were a foot reflex massage and a facial. On Saturday I had what was supposed to be an Aphrodite massage which was a total disaster. My daughter's Saturday massage was a disappointment, too. Here's what we learned: don't get the optional treatments on the weekend: the team is playing with substitutes.
The hotel is immaculate and well kept with staff busy shining things all day long.
The rooms are comfortable with good storage, a desk and TV (Satellite), mini-fridge, queen sized bed extremely comfortable. There was a welcome packet of bottled mineral water and big fruit tray, and fresh fluffy white terry robes and new terry slippers to wear. The bathroom had two sinks on a long marble slab, a deep tub with a strong hand-held shower, a heated towel bar, hanging hooks, etc. Linens were perfect and plentiful.
I found the desk staff helpful if not oozing with friendliness: there were one or two unhappy desk clerks but on the whole the reception was professional.
The clients were either Russian (the large majority) and German. Few people spoke English (I did have a halting conversation with some Russian school-aged children).
The one down side of the Karlstejn-and I am not complaining-is that the cuisine was just adequate. I quickly learned to order chicken when offered choices. The good news is that there was a wonderful salad bar and some of the best soups I have had in a long time. The breakfast buffet offering included many healthy choices as well as things like scrambled eggs, etc.
There is a bar by the dining room, really nice but basically unused by the somewhat elderly clientele. The Cafe Clea by the spa, however, was wonderful and served nice coffees (the desserts looked superb) at very reasonable prices: I went there every day to read the International Herald Tribune). During my stay the weather was still chilly but I think that the outdoor terrace of the cafe and the courtyard of the bar would be very popular in fine weather.
Karlstejn has some shopping, but it is not Rodeo Drive stuff--mainly tchochies.. there are cafes scattered around and hotels galore. My one experience having a meal in town was disastrous: dining in hotels is what is done in Karlstejn, so free standing restaurants don't seem to strive for excellence. On a side street we found a nice little place called Svejk bar that had live music in the evening. It was the place to enjoy a Staropramen beer--
My Comprehenive Spa Package included room and three meals a day, and three treatments per day. At the end of it all I found it an amazing value for money and came away totally refreshed. What more can you ask? All services and extras are very reasonably priced at the Karlstejn.
I went over to Karlstejn for a look and found it to be a more commercial, "normal" city than Karlstejn, less pleasing to the eye.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karlstejn
Praha 5
Wellness & SPA boutique Hotel pod Lipkami Prague
Mala Strana (Little Quarter)
Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa
Maximilian Hotel
Maximilian Hotel
#28 of 670 in Prague
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,137 reviews

Been to Romantic Hotel Mlyn Karlstejn? Share your experiences!