“Perfect location and even better hosts”
Review of I Gelsi

I Gelsi
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I Gelsi is a well restored Tuscan villa with numerous excellent standard self contained apartments each of which has its own private terrace along with sharing the stunning pool and amazing large terrace looking over the Tuscan Hills and the valley of the Arno river. I have stayed at I Gelsi a number of times and the location is perfect to see the many delights of Tuscany whether it be by train through Figline itself, the A1 motorway or the many smaller roads. There is great shopping nearby, Florence is around the corner and the property is just perfect if you want to just relax by the pool. Enza and Paolo the owners here are simply amazing and will help you with anything at all. Enza speaks perfect English and Paolo is just incredible in general.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris B
There are newer reviews for I Gelsi

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Beautifully restored accommodation in the centre of the Tuscany Region, approximately 2 hours drive from Pisa Airport. Our apartment, one of 5 available for letting was perfect for our needs, with plenty of space for 2 couples, including a private covered outdoor seating area. All linen, crockery and cooking utensils are provided plus a very useful welcome pack of groceries including a bottle of Paolo's wine which was much appreciated after our long journey.

Enza and Paolo are such gracious hosts and did everything possible to make our stay memorable including arranging a get together for all their guests one evening with delicious Tuscan food and more of that lovely aforementioned wine!

I Gelsi is a perfect getaway, whether you are planning on exploring the beautiful Chianti Province or just needing to recharge your batteries in peaceful and unspoilt surroundings.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachel R
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed at I Gelsi in May/June 2013. We originally booked for one week, with the intention of moving around, but booked a second week after our first night! The place is in a beautiful setting and has been very lovingly restored to a high standard. We stayed in one of the 2 bedroomed apartments which was spacious and had everything we needed for a comfortable 'home from home' stay. The views off the various terraces are magnificent and you can see for miles. The location, in our view was perfect for exploring the entire region, with Florence, Arezzo and Siena all only an hours car drive away. The train links to Figline are very good for getting to the larger cities too, and the fares very reasonable. The thing that made it for us however, was the exceptional kindness of our hosts, Enza and Paolo. Nothing was too much trouble and they were on hand to gladly assist however they could, giving advice and recommendations for days out, eating etc. We will most definitely be taking another trip to I Gelsi.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Monojnr
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We rented the entire property for my family to use while we celebrated my birthday. Friends stayed next door at Locanda Casanouva who also prepared the celebratory dinner for us. The entire area is an absolute delight. The rolling hills in full spring bloom, with poppies appearing every morning as we went for our energising walks. The village of Figline Valdarno has ample supplies and a good train service to Florence and other cities. We did hire cars as getting to some of the more secluded hillside towns requires transportation.

I personally found the bed too hard...and often woke up with 'bruised hips...

I gelsi was perfect as each 'family' had their own space and there was also communal space for shared breakfasts and dinners. Paolo and Enza were very helpful. We all hope to return to the area some day.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DineFrequently
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My husband and I recently spent a week at I Gelsi with another couple from Australia. The first thing that struck us was how friendly and helpful Paolo the owner was. Enza was wonderful in helping us to book a day at Chef Claudio"s cooking school which was a short walk from the unit, and also gave us some great suggestions for other things to do. The unit we stayed in was tastefully decorated, comfortable and had everything that we needed. It was great that there were some basic supplies in the kitchen(especially Paolo"s Olive Oil & Red Wine) which meant we didn't have to go straight to the shops. The surrounding countryside was beautiful and Figline turned out to be a good base for several day trips to other Tuscan towns.Having laundry facilities on site was great too! I would thoroughly recommend a stay there, but you will need to hire a car unless you just want to chill out and enjoy the scenery and pool.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pam T
Reviewed 13 October 2012

My husband found this place on trip advisor and thought it would suit us for the week as we were travelling with another couple from Australia. It lived up to our expectations. It was a great location to get to Florence by train (30 minutes), or go for many walks, or jump in a car and do many day trips through the Tuscan country side. It is central to many areas you may wish to visit such as Arezzo and Sienna. Our hosts Enza and Paolo were most helpful throughout our stay by taking us shopping, or taking us to the train station before we picked up a rental car. Over all a most enjoyable week. We will be recommending I Gelsi to other Aussie travellers.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank EchucaJulie
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I was inspired to book I Gelsi because of the reviews on Trip Advisor so I thought it only right that add my own on my return. I Gelsi has many things in its favour, The apartment was spacious with a huge four poster bed. A great terrace overlooking the valley for romantic evening drinks or a large shared meal with the new friends you are bound to make. A fabulous pool and bbq area. The best thing though were the hosts. Enza and Paolo were fabulous, helpful and kind. We had a bit of a medical emergency whilst away and Enza was incredible.
The local town of Figline Valdarno has excellent r estaurants and shops and the people were incredibly friendly. You are close to lots of beautiful towns and only 20 k from Florence.
I cannot recommend I Gelsi highly enough.
Thanks Enza and Paolo.