“nothing to do except sunbathing on an empty stomach if the weather allows.”

Villa la Borghetta Spa Resort
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Villa stands in a very secluded location, the restaurant is open only in the evening, bar none, there are no nearby restaurants or stores do this Villa nothing except sunbathing on an empty stomach if the weather allows.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 November 2009

OK, first off - I am well late in writing this review. I stayed here in September 2008 in the run up to my wedding.

I simply cannot believe how a bunch of so-called 'reviewers' who clearly had not done any research can slate this establishment in any way? It's not a 'high-rise' city type hotel; it's a fantastic remote hotel overlooking the Tuscan countryside that encapsulates everything 'Italian'. If you're looking for New York style hospitality - then go to New York. Think about where you're going before you get there. The previous reviewers remind me of those that go to a Chinese restaurant and then complain because there's no Lasagne on the menu! Don't be mislead by these guys.

If you want somewhere quiet, romantic, picturesque and idyllic, away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and with a very friendly, professional and dedicated staff who absolutely go out of their way to help you, if you want to taste authentic Italian food exquisitely prepared with the freshest, finest ingredients - then this is without a doubt the place to stay.

In the run up to our wedding, we travelled to Italy several times on scouting missions. We had the help of a professional who took us to many pre-chosen venues from all over Florence (about 16 different places) to Amalfi and Praiano. I think it is testament enough that we ended up choosing Villa La Borghetta for our wedding venue.

There are plenty of amenities and places of interest to visit within 15-20 minutes, there are excellent transport links and the staff at the villa will happily advise and organise trips for you if you wish.

Our main host in the villa was Cecilia and I simply cannot praise her enough. The most professional person I have ever dealt with in any villa/hotel. You simply do not get this kind of personal service anywhere else. She was always available to answer any queries or concerns we had, always so helpful and it really became apparent after meeting her that we were in very safe hands to ensure our day went so smoothly. I'd go back to the villa just to thank her again. Her command of English is excellent and all of our guests were very complimentary of her.

The breakfast caters for all - whether you prefer cereal, a selection of fruits, yoghurts, cheeses, cold meats, pastries, eggs, whatever. You can't beat the stunning views to wake up to as you sip your Italian coffee either. The dinner menu is expansive and again, there's a great choice. I'm used to eating in Michelin Starred restaurants and drinking fine wines and I was not disappointed in any way. Anyone who says the food is bad here, clearly doesn't understand what good food is.

I could go on and on writing this review, but it would turn into a small bible if I did. I will always remember our stay there, I will certainly go back in the next few years and I hope that Cecilia is still there to welcome us - as we would consider her more than just our host.

Feel free to email me with any queries or comments, I would highly endorse this villa, Cecilia and all the staff.

Stephen.

• Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank Well_Travelled_Dubs
Reviewed 5 August 2009

We arrived here with high expectations, at check in we came in with our happy faces to be met by a guy who let us know by his attitude that we were just another problem.He showed us the room, then no offer of help with bags, charmless staff all round.Pool is tiny and therefore was warmed up uncomfortably by the sun.The jacuzzi resembles a small park pond with a ring of chairs surrounding it for spectators.Hotel is a bit far from the heart of Chianti where you really want to be.Not nice.Never again.Boring problem with air con which was not resolved, I was told that since he didn't need his on in his house why should I need mine,breakfast was basic.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank 5715gracec
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Our first visit to Villa La Borghetta was in September 2007 and we loved the place immediately. When we (my husband and I) left that time we said "We will come back" - and we did. We have just returned from a four day stay and it was great!

If you plan to visit the villa you should know that this is a place to relax. When you arrive at the first thing to notice is that it is very quit - no traffic noise. Bring a good book and relax by the pool or jaccuzi (which by the way is free of charge). We did not have any trouble to get a sunbed.

One of my favourite things about the villa is that it is so beautiful (both inside and outside). The views are amazing! We have only tried the junior suites (room 101 and 105) with private terrace outside. I think both rooms were great. The bathroom in both rooms have a nice jacuzzi and both rooms are spacious. I also like the interior in the rooms, and it was cleaned every day.

About the restaurant: The breakfast is very simple with bread/cakes, ham, cheese, jam, some fruit and serials. There is a very nice (elderly) waiter who works in the restaurant during breakfast and lunch (only?), and he asked us every morning if we wanted coffe. We only had one day with lunch from the lunch menu, and I am sorry to say it was a big disappointment. We ordered "Stuffed sandwich" with ham and mozzarella, and it was a dissaster. (The problem was that the bread must have been cut many hours before it was served, so it almost fell apart when we tried to eat it). But when it comes to dinner we were very pleased! (And we had dinner in the villa four times). It is not a gourmet restaurant, but quit good! I will especially recommend the risotto! We had a reservation for a special table in the restaurant every night, with the most beautiful views.

If you are planning a relaxing and romantic vacation I would definitely recommend Villa La Borghetta.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Our stay was a BIG disappointment and we bailed after 2 days. Nothing was as it is advertised. Firstly, the lovely terrace they show where you can eat your meals, and the dining room shown on their website does not come into play for dinner if you are staying there. Why? Because their first line of business is holding large functions which were held both nights we were there. You dine in a dark brick hallway leading to the wine cellar. Secondly, if you don't speak Italian good luck getting service. Although we were friendly, smiled and attempted to speak very broken Italian, they paid us no attention. It took forever to get service - including even seeing a menu. The Italians who arrived were given immediate service. Thirdly, the food was horrible and we never seemed to get what we ordered despite us pointing to it on the menu and when you did finally get your meal it was not worth the wait. Breakfast was a buffet and served on the terrace but was minimal and what was there was not good quality. For example, the first morning there was a bowl of unripened fruit. The next day that fruit was a fruit salad. I guess is was only there to ripen the first morning. Also, we couldn't get the server to bring us coffee. We had booked a cooking class but cancelled for obvious reasons.

Our room was never serviced and despite us having a terrace suite, still felt like a dark dungeon. The shower leaked and the bathroom was so small you couldn't even move in it. The advertised sitting area was two chairs inside the door where the closet was. Dark and dreary.

The spa is two rooms at best and the pool......well if you want to sit around it you better get their early as their was only 6 chairs.

Don't waste your time........even if you are Italian. There are way better experiences in Tuscany for less money. We left and went to Hotel Relais in Pienza. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cdntraveller63
Reviewed 23 April 2009

We love Villa Borghetta... very close to Florence, Siena, San Gimigano and the outlets where you can find good deals. The staff was very friendly and helpfull at the same time. The lady at the front desk gave us great tips where to go to eat and what to do around the area. Make sure you go to the only restaurant in the little town call Duda is open only on Friday and Saturday. ALso, there is another small town "Grave" if I remember well the name..... where you can try all the wine you want for 10 Euros... Excellent !

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2008

The location and views from this hotel are beautiful, and our deluxe room was on the 3rd floor, corner room with spectacular views. However, that's about all that can be said for this hotel. We checked in around 2pm and were told nothing was open for lunch. The novice clerk at reception could not suggest anywhere in town where we might get a bite. He actually tried to find something online. Annoying because Figline Valdarno is not large. We ventured out alone and found a place in San Giovanni that although not open until 5pm, were kind enough to fix us bruschetta with ham & cheeses. When we returned to the hotel 2 1/2 hours later our luggage was still sitting in the lobby. No one was around and this is how the entire experience went here. The bar was never open and we had to go searching for someone to help us and each time it was not a bartender, but someome doing other tasks such as hosing off the decking The front desk was not able to provide directions to Siena, breakfast was to be until 10 am and at 9:30 everything was being cleared away. No manager was ever there otherwise we would have told them they know nothing about running a hotel. Don't waste your money here!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Hotel Villa La Palagina
Hotel Villa La Palagina
#3 of 6 in Figline e Incisa Valdarno
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Hotel Tenuta il Burchio
Hotel Tenuta il Burchio
#4 of 6 in Figline e Incisa Valdarno

Been to Villa la Borghetta Spa Resort? Share your experiences!