“Very pleasant stay at Der Abtenauer”
Review of Der Abtenauer

Der Abtenauer
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Abtenau
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Very pleasant stay at Der Abtenauer”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Stayed here for a whole week with my group (I'm the tour leader).
The rooms were very spacious and comfortable and even when there were a few problems like heating or water problems they were immidiately fixed with the help of the amazing, helpful and pleasant staff. They were all very nice at the reception (Verna especially) in the restaurants all the waiters were smiling all the time and tending to all our requests.
The hotel manager Alois was always to our help in giving directions and helpful information or just taking care of things.
Over all, been to many hotels with groups but this stay is by far one of our best and it's mostly thanks to the wonderful staff and the comfortable hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I was in this hotel only for one day, just to visit the city and satisfy my curiosity before proceeding to Vienne but it was everything so beautiful and the staff simply friendly and helpful.
Super location, in the centre of Abtenau where everything walking distance is.
The rooms are very confortable and noone can disturb your sleep.
My room was in particular with view over the mountain and it looked like so lovable.
The internet free Wi-Fi is available at the moment only in the hall and bar of the Hotel but you can simply take with you your tablet or pc and have a drink and continue working on your computer without any problem since the connection is very fast.
The buffet breakfast is typical of this area with a good assortment but I hope that in the future they will provide something more...like some croissants or something like that.
If you need something at your table, it is sufficient you ask and the waiter will be at your complete disposal...
Perfect for working reasons but also for a romantic weekend.
Just one thing : you definitely need a car, because the closest railway-station is about 15 km away from them...

Room Tip: The rooms with balcony are great with an amazing view over the city and mountain
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank luiserex
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

With two days to go before we arrive, I've just been informed that the hotel has decided to shut early for the season, and therefore we wouldn't be able to stay there (23/03/13 - 30/03/13).
No offer of alternative accomodation - just a cancellation of our booking.
I just hope, before anybody else books with this hotel, that they understand that their booking may also be cancelled.
Do you really want to risk it?
Cheers Hotel Der Abtenauer for letting us down so badly and at such short notice.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Huw G

Travellers are raving about these Abtenau hotels

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We had a great time at the hotel. The staff was excellent and eager to please. The room was nice and clean with a view of the mountains. We stayed for 4 days in summer, and stayed a day to hike instead of going into Salzburg as we had planned. It was well worth it. We enjoyed the food and the spa. They were able to accommodate us at short notice and in English. We would have liked more information up front -- location of the spa, how to buy the discounted ticket into Salzburg, a map of the area, tickets for the welcome drinks, etc. We got the information upon asking, but it would have been good to receive upon check-in. The owner/manager was on site, and eager to please. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We has a coupon for a short vacation with a 7 course gourmet dinner and wellness.
As I have printed out the reservation 5 min. prior our departure from home I discovered that thought I have become a confirmation for May the reservation stated July. I confronted the receptionist via tel and was shocked about the lacking manners of this person. After being transferred a couple of times between the supervisor and a few rude ladies the manager offered us to stay in a near by hotel (20m) but receiving all goodies and meals at the Abtenauer. When we arrived at the front desk the lady acted as if it wasn't their fault, no sorry whatsoever.

The next shock was the first dinner, where we were asked to order drinks (extra pay) about three times, but no one has asked which menu we have chosen or told us what to choose from. Serving took ages, portions were small and we were seriously considering eating a kebab from the stand in front of the hotel. We could consume our welcome drink only in the bar, not at the (secluded) restaurant.

The breakfast was odd. Again, we were asked if we want to order coffee by three different waiters, but none of them has told us that the buffet was in a different room across the hall, we figured that out 5 min. later after observing the neighbors. The food was ok.

In the evening we have demanded our 7 course dinner. We arrived at 19:25. We had 6 courses (mainly things others had to choose one from) and after I asked about the 7th course, the annoyed waitress told me about the salad buffet in the other dining room as if I was the only idiot who cannot figure that out without being told, so no, no 7th course. Ladies and gentlemen, we left the restaurant after 3 hours, because there was 30 min between each serving. I drank more than I have eaten, payed the bill in cash and went to our separate hotel to fill up on pretzels.

Thinking that we have suffered the worst we were surprised to find the bill from the previous evening waiting to be paid - AGAIN! I confronted the waitress and ordered two coffees and have never ever seen the waiters (or the coffee) again. I left the bill with the manager.
After putting the keys on the front desk in front of the manager I waited 3 min. for a response or a sign of check out gestures. I received a "what else is it you want?" in my face I defenselessly departed not to be seen here ever again.

I cannot review the actual room as we were sleeping in another hotel due to the mistake they have made and I cannot review any wellness as we have not received any although promoted in our voucher. The food was barely acceptable.

It has never happened to me, that I avoided the hotel I was staying in and feared every occasion I had to deal with the staff as I have done during my stay at the Abtenauer.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Daniela N
Rhu, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I can only compliment this hotel. The staff were very accommodating and attentive, especially in the restaurant. We had a large spacious double room in the building at the back, sharing a large balcony with 4 other rooms and with a view of the beautiful snow-covered mountains. Furniture was fairly new and in very good condition. We had a voucher which included a 4-course evening meal, which we were happy with. Agree with having to walk through the lobby to get myour own buffet breakfast, with the exception of coffee. Also yes, some of the bowls of foods on offer could have been replenished more quickly, but were so upon request. The bar served a good selection of drinks - only trouble is, there is still smoking in the bars in Austria!! Parking was a bit of a problem as it is a small village, with many buildings packed in and around the central area, so finding a parking space was a bit of a problem. All in all a good hotel and yes, I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the annex as this tends to be away from the main road and quieter, and also for a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Service is lousy and the staff obviously lack a manager. We were a group of 20 staying a week that were all equally disappointed. They knew we were all together but tried to place us at 4 separate tables. Portions are so small that most went across the street after dinner for a pizza. When we asked if it was possible to order a salad, the waiter simply said "No". No salt or pepper on our table which was definitely needed as the food tasted nothing. When we asked for salt and pepper we received an empty salt grinder. Expect to wait 30 minutes at the bar just to order a drink. Expect an hour for á la carte food.

Breakfast buffet was ok but you have to walk through the hotel lobby into another room to get it. Expect to walk up an appetite. Coffee is served at the table halfway through breakfast.

Beware-don't be the last one sitting at the table at the end of the evening or you will be stuck with any unpaid bills. When I confronted the waiter about this he told me it was wrong of the other guests to leave without paying everything. My response was it was up to him to keep track of what guests drink and eat, not mine. Vegetarians avoid this place unless you enjoy eating a tiny portion of pasta every evening (flavorless). No childrens menu available- five children waited to eat later-only one dish offered per evening.

One in our group broke his leg skiing and the owner did not have a key to the elevator at midnight so he had to climb 3 flights. Rooms were not ready for us when we arrived and no extra keys are available - so don't let your roomate out of sight.

The owner(s) are not present and are obviously out for a "quick" buck. Seems as if there are a lot of problems internally. We tried several times to express our concerns but no one seemed to care.

On the bright side, The cleaning staff
did a great job. They keep the place fresh and clean.

Can't stress enough-Avoid this hotel as there are so many fantastic places to stay in Abtenau that have amazing food and service.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Chuckycheese66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abtenau
Gutjahr
#4 of 15 in St Johann im Pongau
Traunstein Gasthaus
Traunstein Gasthaus
#2 of 5 in Abtenau

Been to Der Abtenauer? Share your experiences!