“Still good - phew!”
Review of The Old Inn

The Old Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Old Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Holt
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Old Inn is a traditional country pub in the heart of the idyllic village of Holt. Situated close to the historic town of Wimborne Minster, The Old Inn is the perfect destination when you fancy a homemade, traditional pub meal.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Back in January I commented on what a good place this has become.

I’m happy to tell you it still is.

2  Thank chuns
OldInnHolt, Owner at The Old Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your kind comments. It is much appreciated by the whole team as we are always working hard to offer the best food and service possible. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Old Inn and showing off our new patio.

There are newer reviews for The Old Inn

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I can only reiterate the previous reviewer's comments. I would not normally trouble to write a review but our treatment by the waitress and what appeared to be the chef was shocking. Having sent one meal back (my fault I didn't read the menu properly) I was asked if I would like a replacement. I was shocked to receive the bill and be charged for three drinks when we only had two and then to be charged for both meals! I had asked the waitress not to trouble preparing another salad with the new meal and not to cook further chips however when I queried being charged for both meals when I only ate one the waitress started arguing with me and then a very rude chef stated he had to throw the other meal away. Really? did that justify charging another £13 for a piece of fish!! They were not in the least bit concerned that we were unhappy or had been over charged for our drinks. I would have thought £13 was a small price to pay for some goodwill! I guess they have to pay for their new patio some how but it won't be through me or my friends or any of the other locals who think the food is overpriced!! If you want to pay £26 for scampi and chips this is your place!

6  Thank Rimothy
OldInnHolt, Owner at The Old Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

We were not surprised that you decided to write your first review about us. Our menus are printed in bold print and you ordered Whole Grilled Plaice with a lemon & Herb Butter served with sautéed potatoes and Salad. £12.95 After serving the main course, the waitress returned to your table to check if everything was ok. You said that you were expecting the Plaice to be deep fried in breadcrumbs. As from the description, how you came to this conclusion baffles us. However you decided to eat it and decided after a few mouthfuls it was not for you. Therefore you asked for it to be taken away and ordered Deep fried Scampi with Salad & Chips £12.95. On no occasion was the 18 year old waitress rude to you and actually could not have been more polite or helpful. You issue was that you had been over charged for a drink, and when we were informed it was immediately removed from your account. However you felt that you should not have been charged for the Plaice as it was your error and you had eaten some of it. I disagreed with you as there was nothing wrong with the dish. So scampi and chips is £12.95 or £25.90 for two. On no occasion was I rude to you. But I assume you think I was rude because I disagreed with you. We are a growing business and customer care and service is very important to us. However when guests try it on to get a freebie and actually are rude themselves and feel by raising their voices will help their campaign to get the discount, when the establishment has tried to assist in every way, I will stand my ground. Have you tried this approach at a supermarket. Buy a cake eat half of it and then return it and expect your money back because you did not like it. Really!!!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Very attentive service, good choice on menu, food delicious, lovely village, plenty of parking and garden for children with bouncy castle when requested

2  Thank Ann P
OldInnHolt, Manager at The Old Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for your kind words. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Myself and my partner went to the Old Inn for dinner and were extremely disappointed by the encounter. The Food the was over priced and very poorly cooked as well taking a long time to come to the table with an owner uninterested in hearing our complaints. Also the beer is poorly kept and tastes closer to sucking on lead pipe than a good pint of badger. TERRIBLE!!!!!!

5  Thank 1ndyS
OldInnHolt, Owner at The Old Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

I was sorry tor read your comments, and especially that you find me rude. We are proud of our beer and have a strict pipe cleaning rota which keeps the quality of the beer to a very high standard. We clean the pipes twice a week and whenever we change a barrel we flush the pipe through with fresh water. I have never sucked a lead pipe, but I can imagine it being very unpleasant. If you were unhappy with the beer we would have changed it immediately without question. We are very proud of the standard of the food we serve and we are disappointed it did not meet your expectations. If you would like to call to discuss your complaint Why was it poorly cooked ? I would be very happy to discuss it with you, as your review is unhelpful in assisting us in improving our standards and I and the staff have no recollection, in dealing with such a complaint especially about the beer. I however do note its your first review. Interesting !!!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Had a snack lunch, but this was enough to whet my taste buds to return. Great staff attentive and the quality and portion sizes were first class. Thankyou.

1  Thank whisptwo
OldInnHolt, Manager at The Old Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014