“Gone off”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We have eaten here many times on the last few years. This time will be our last. It has a lovely space, which is its main draw for me but I have often thought the atmosphere somewhat spoiled by the proprietors doing ALL the waiting on themselves. With over 50 covers and only two staff the outcome is that they are constantly dashing and sometimes stretched and stressed. You cannot easily catch their eye for extra bread or water.
I put up with it because it is not so bad if they are not fully booked and also liked the simple food. Sadly, on this visit I thought the food had gone off too. Very small meat portions on both of our main courses, and beans which either came from a tin or were seriously over boiled. White beans served with a white purée of parsnip did not look very pretty on the plate either.
I will be testing other places now.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Our French was poor, but the incredibly friendly owner just carried over the daily menu on the chalk board and just launched right in like we were locals. She was delightful, the food was so good and a great value, we ate there twice.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

We had dinner there on three occasions, and always found the food very well prepared and the service very friendly and comfortable. The restaurant's ambiance inside as well outside, in the garden, was very agreeable.

1  Thank CJPADY
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Actually I suppose the title is a little misleading because it is not like eating in a French cottage, it IS eating in a French cottage. Bastide means quite literally a cottage or country home and this does not disappoint. Eating down in the dining room feels like the farm hands should soon be in, but I can tell you farm hands never ate this good. The young chef, and I mean young as in probably 35, has learned his craft very well. We ate here three times during our visit, once because it was the only thing open but twice more because we found out how good it was. The menu is not extensive, but the choices always include several entrées, a meat a fish and a fowl and a couple desserts. Additionally the chef and staff are accommodating enough that I am sure they could work out a veggie dish if that was your desire. There si outside seating as well but it was a bit too cool during our visit to take advantage of it. This is a place on the rise, so eat here while you can. The food is good, the prices surprisingly low and the couple that run it are as charming and helpful as can be. Week-ends you will probably need reservations, but make some and go there, you’ll be delighted.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Home made starter, well cooked fish in sauce and a simple wine from the village. This is not the greatest meal we shared a that price but the place is pleasant and relaxing. The next time, we shall try to find another restaurant inside this nice village.