“Peaceful, clean,good staff”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Las Cumbres
Omaha, Nebraska
“Peaceful, clean,good staff”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I have been coming here every year for the past 9 years and love it! This hotel was rebuilt around Y2K and although its is ready for some exterior paint and maint., Its interior remains in pristine condition. I stay here for 4 weeks and fish the back waters of the canal on a weekly basis. I use the same guy for my cab and take him fishing with me so I get free cab service while I am here. He also picks me up and delivers me to the Tecuma Intl. Airport. I come here every year right after I finish my 8 week stay at the Avalon in Acapulco, Mexico. Yes, there is a slight musty smell in the halls an lobby but don't notice it in your room.The wait staff in the resturant is very professional and polite; The food is very good and inexpensive. I will continue to come here. The present ownership of this hotel is trying to sell it so I am sure that when the sale is made, there will be some renovations made. There are lovely foot trails through the adjacent rain forest and a water park and small zoo with monkeys,birds, etc. If you decide to come here, the taxi guy I use is Leonardo. He speaks english and can take you anywhere, including sightseeing to the canal and many other places. His cell phone is 507-6738-1142. Call him before you come and he will bring you here from the airport. His full time job is at a bank so you need to give him some notice so he can make arrangements. If he is unavailable, he will send his uncle, Natcho. I offered $50/day for my room on the 9th (lobby) floor and had no problem. You should come in Jan., Feb., Mar. as it starts to rain in mid-April. Good luck

Room Tip: Select a room on the 9th floor if you do not smoke.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank tom K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I have stayed in a variety of hotels from cheap tp expensive and this was the absolute worst. I always take reviews at face value but these were acurate. Musty, mouldy, stinky,run down, out of the way. Just plain scary. We thought it wouldbe between the 2 airports but wasnt anywhere near. My children were afraid and kept saying they should use it for a horror movie. The pictures must have been taken 10 years ago as it does not look like them at all. Yes the rooms were huge, the beds clean but that's about it. Don't stay here!!! Go into the city.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank kimpro

Travellers are raving about these Las Cumbres hotels

Panama City
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I got a very good deal on the rooms at this hotel so, notwithstanding the warnings, decided to take my chances. I am glad I did.

First, this is a hotel you should have a car to stay it. It's about 8 km from Panama City, and a couple kilometers from the nearest grocery store, etc.

Second, it's a little older and run down. They seem to be doing repairs trying to fix up some leaks in their roof, etc. Understand this is a 180 room facility with about 10 guests.

The rooms are fine. Big rooms, big beds, newer air conditioners, etc. Contrary to the other review, there were two shampoos and two soaps in the room. Big fluffy white towels, not dirty. A fridge, in wall safe, big entertainment center.

The hallways are a bit musty from the humidity. They seem to be working on that, but the rooms are not smelly in any way.

Its next to a huge waterpark and you can walk down to the park and see the monkeys and birds they have. We actually went when it was closed and snuck some food for the monkeys.

Internet worked fine on floor 8 and in the lobby (which is floor 9).

It's very quiet, a huge hotel, with not many guests. If you want to spend some time relaxing, or for romance, this is great. The big rooms are very comfy and there's alot of space in the lobby and outside where you can sit around and be left alone.

Now if you expect a guy in a suit to follow you around holding doors open for you, well, go somewhere else. It is what it is.

Room Tip: Book a regular room it's all you need. 9th floor is the lobby floor, 8th floor has good interne...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My husband choose the avalon because was to be a romantic place with the green forest view , never mind romantic, we couldn't even step on the balcony because was full on junk.
Place is too far from everything, downtown, the malls, the place is old and smells bad,
We had breakfast included and the first day we went down about 8:30, food was already gone
so we asked and the attendant looked at her watch like saying...you're late, so she had to go into the kitchen and order more food.
Place is so outdated and unkept, they advertise wi-fi but it only worked for one day, they kept telling us that they had a problem with internet, one guy @ the front desk lended us a temp.access.we stay there 3 days and couldn't wait to get out, we had a car and driving through that town was scary. we don't know how they stay in buss.because we were the only ones on the entire 7th. floor.
The weekends the pool is packed and you can see the way Panamenians leave garbage everywhere and because they're understaffed it takes days to clean up, you walk around the pool and you see diapers and bottles left on the floor. (part of the package I guess)
I'm very critical about the way panamenians treat their garbage, they leave it behind for someone else to pick it up. they should be proud of their beautiful country and should take care of it for future generations.
There were no glasses to have a drink in the room, so we asked and they send us to the bar to borrow 2, we asked why no glasses they told us that they get stolen, we got one tiny shampoo and one bar of soap for the 3 days we stayed.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LizToron2
usa
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Place is too far from everything, downtown, the malls, the canal. Get a cab is difficult and kind of dangerous because you have to get one on a freeway. People at the hotel wont call one for you, I had to grab my own bags, nobody went to pick us up to the airport (we paid for it). the place smells so bad, food is terrible, rooms are so old and one night while me and my babies were sleeping a man opened the door of our room with his own key that was given by the recpetion... yes the recpetion gave him the wrong room. the next day when we went to the main desk I just got a "ooops" by the manager. they even tried to charge me extra at the end (they made a mistake)

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank kikiribooh
Stony Plain, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I tend to ignore traveler reviews because of course expectations vary from person to person,BUT, the majority of reviews I've read were correct. Huge room..Yes! Comfortable bed..Yes! No Hot water.. correct! The whole hotel had a terrible musty smell to it...the majority of this hotel is closed down. We took a tour of the different floors and found bare wires, rooms packed with old, dirty furniture, filthy hallways, not to mention poor or almost no lighting. I don't believe this hotel is up to code and if in Canada, would be shut down immediately. 2 king size beds per room for a couple??? Perhaps some of this money could be allocated to cleaning up the joint! The pictures on the website are at least 40 years old. I based our decision to stay here because it looked so nice. Wrong!! Only 2 staff members spoke a bit of English and they were quite helpful. On the upside, the food was good and inexpensive in comparison to Canada. If you are ordering a taxi, make sure you have one arranged at least 2 hours in advance. We waited for 2 1/2 hours at the hotel for a taxi. Very frustrating! Ask for an English speaking driver otherwise you can sure get taken for a ride! Do your homework before you leave home...I know I will next time! Highly overpriced.. I think they are scrambling to stay open.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JIAStonyPlain_Canada
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 August 2012

When I walked into our room I was dumbfounded at the shear size!! You could have fit 20 queen size beds in there. It had great furniture and and updated and very clean bathroom. The wifi worked great (but you had to go out in the hall) The beds and linens were clean and I got very good sleep.

On the weekends they have a waterpark, I was there during the week, but went down to look at it, and it was also immense especially because it was a hotel, not a waterpark. They had caged animals(which I am not fond of) but one of the monkeys would give you high fives. They have another secluded outdoor pool on the 4th floor.

Their food service was very slow by American standards so have lots of time to spend in the restaurant. The people at the front desk were nice enough. This was part of a package deal so I'm not exactly sure how much the rooms were to tell you if it was a good value but something equivalent in the US would probably cost $175 a night.

I saw many beautiful birds during my stay of 4 days and the drive to the airport is approximately 45 minutes. For how many rooms there were at that hotel it seemed like they maybe had 10% filled in July, it was empty...

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the staircase or elevators :)
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Riande Aeropuerto
#35 of 114 in Panama City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama City, Panama
Courtyard Panama at Metromall Mall

Been to Las Cumbres Hotel & Water Park? Share your experiences!