“Lovely place”

Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
Reviewed 6 March 2008

I and my husband were in St Lucia this february and we spent 4 nights at Tikaye and 7 nights at Cotton Bay.
We got married in St Lucia and we spent the first time at Tikaye.
TiKaye village is the perfect place for a couple in honeymoon, or for a romantic gateway but not for older people or family with little baby (about 200 steps to go to the beach!!)
COTTAGE NICH: We stayed in Cottage Nich, the most beautiful cottage in Tikaye. Cottage Nich is an ocean front cottage, with private plunge-pool, at the end of the Village (Total privacy! and the view was absolutely incredible!).
Many people wrote a review with the note that the water in the plunge pool is cold all the time. For us? the temperature was perfect from 12.00 to 3.00pm, and we had the sun on our private deck all the day infact we spent a lot of the time in our private cottage: we didn't like to do about 400 steps to go and came back from the beach and we wanted to relax before our wedding. We rent a car and visited the island the week after the wedding.

FOOD: the food was good. For the breakfast you have a great selection of fresh fruit , pastries, juice, cereal, bacon, sausage, eggs, potatos, french toast and you have the option of omlette and pancakes to order, if you desire.
The cocktail-bar was nice and the dinner was fantastic. 2 times we asked for a special dinner: one in our private deck and the arrangment was fantastic... with flower, candle... and the 2°times on the beach.... (there is an extra charge for the special arrangment, of course). One day a week they organize a caribbean dinner buffet and you can eat and try a lot of different local cousine.

BEACH: the beach is black, a lot of steps and not so quiet because a lot of boat came to snorkeling...

STAFF: absolutely lovely and kindly

EXCURSIONS: we went only to marigot bay by boat, but you can read my report on cotton bay resort.

OUR WEDDING PHOTOS: we married in St Lucia and I want to tell to everyone that our photographical studio was absolutely fantastic!!
We had 2 photographer with us all day, Karen and Roger: they were kindly, helpful, so nice and sweet! The manager, Rhonda was also lovely. She showed us all the shots some days after the wedding ceremony and we had the possibility to choose all the photos that we loved. We choose about 300 photos but Karen and Roger took us 1100 and so we had a lot of quantity to choose. They are a family company, with an high quality and a reasonable price!!!
Their web-site is www.reflectionsphotoandvideo.com
Sorry if my english is not perfect!!!!

2  Thank FedericaRoma_Italy
There are newer reviews for Ti Kaye Resort & Spa

Reviewed 5 March 2008

Ti Kaye Village is a wonderful place to unwind. My wife and I spent 12 days there, with friends, from February 13 to February 25, 2008, having experienced a relaxing respite in one of the more breathtaking environments we've seen.

St. Lucia's unique climate and topography offer many opportunities for ecological (rainforest, waterfalls, volcanic origins, sulfur springs, etc.) or adventure (zip-lines--fabulous, snorkeling, scuba, hiking, climbing, etc.) activities, or one may choose simply to relax and enjoy the views and mild temperatures. Ti Kaye can facilitate scheduling any level of activity or provide the seductive environment to do "nothing."

The resort is clean and well-attended by a staff that is the most cordial I've encountered in traveling the world for 40 years (and living in Europe). Most of the staff will know your name by the second day of your stay, and their interest in your enjoyment and satisfaction is sincere. The food at Ti Kaye is the best we sampled on the island, and, in retrospect, we would have dined better, overall, by staying at Ti Kaye for our meals, a sentiment we often heard verified from other guests who had left the grounds for culinary experimentation. A newly arrived Head Chef should provide an even greater opportunity for exciting dining. The General Manager, Katie Rosiak, has been at Ti Kaye since December and is extremely personable, energetic, and involved on a daily basis with guests without ever coming across as a ship-board Activities Director. Her touch is deft and unobtrusive, but her enthusiasm and personal involvement add to the intimate, personal nature of the resort.

Guests will find that Ti Kaye is, indeed, remote--for some, a desirable characteristic, but, for others, quite possibly, an isolating experience. Travel from Ti Kaye by cab or water taxi is both arduous and expensive (40-50 USD per person), though a day trip along the coastline offers incredible scenery. I wouldn't advise renting a car unless the driver is experienced at driving on the left side of the road from the right side of the car. Hairpin turns, steep, volcanic cliffs without guard rails, and drivers who seem to pass on the crests of hills make the reality of driving there a form of adventure sport.

A potential drawback for elderly or infirm guests might be the climb to and from the beach at Ti Kaye. Though ground transportation is available, the 150+ stairs and sheer difference in elevation from the cottages to the beach make a trip to the water more than an impulse decision. When you get to the beach, you don't want to discover that you've forgotten your sun screen (an absolute requirement). Ti Kaye has a well-managed restaurant at beach level, next to the dive shop, where lunch is served from noon until four and rum drinks are plentiful on the menu. After several drinks, take the ground transportation to the top of the stairs at the end of the day.

The lack of an exercise facility at Ti Kaye should be mentioned, though weights (dumbells) and mats are available, and yoga sessions are held one day a week in the very early morning on a patio overlooking the cove.

Management is currently working with local officials to address the only annoying aspect at Ti Kaye, and that is the local conch merchants' sales activities from their kayaks. As boats and catamarans anchor in the cove beneath Ti Kaye for diving and snorkeling, they are besieged by conch purveyors who compete for attention at this public beach by blowing loud notes through their polished shells, a native and quaint activity, to be sure, but one that renders a nap in this serene setting all but impossible. Beach merchants selling their wares, however, are few in number and are respectfully courteous when turned down.

In all, Ti Kaye represents precisely what it advertises, a remote, romantic interlude in a beautiful place, staffed with caring, courteous people where the food and wine are excellent and the internationally eclectic guest list provides opportunities for interesting conversation.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank donaldlrob
Reviewed 2 March 2008

My wife and I went there in Dec 2007 for our birthdays. My wife booked the trip since this is typically to laid back of a vacation for me. It turned out to be the best vacation I have ever taken. The staff there is excellent. By the second day almost all of the staf members knew us and addressed us by name. The dining room experience was something that all resorts should aspire to achieve. The personalized service, excellent food, awesome wine list and my man Cleus even has Cuban cigars to enjoy after dinner. I cant give enough credit to the staff for meeting and exceeding our every needs. This resort is beautiful and kept immaculate by the house keeping staff. I'll admit when my wife told me we would be staying in a room where lizard crawl on the walls, I was a little sceptical, but you have the option at night to close the windows and turn on the air to keep any extra "friends" out of your cottage before you turn in for the night. The stairs to beach are a little tiring, especially after a few coctails on the beach. I will attach some pictures, but there are plenty of the same pictures on the internet. Basically I would say if you are hesitant about booking a trip here, dont be. This place has it all.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank camcvey
Reviewed 25 February 2008

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at TiKaye Village (2/16-2/23) and loved everything about it. For the record, we are in our mid-50's, married for 36 years, occasional travelers. TiKaye was romantic, clean and relaxing. The food and drinks were reasonably priced (averaged about $80 for dinner which included at least one cocktail each), lunches were about $25 for 2 meals and 2 drinks. The food was very good. I don't eat fish, so I was concerned that I might not find enough variety- but there was either a chicken dish or a shellfish meal every evening that were delicious. My husband had the fish most nights and gave it rave reviews.
We enjoyed the beach and the pool every day. The beach did get hot- the umbrellas weren't enough shade at mid day for 2 people. Fortunately, it was easy to cool off in the ocean. I thought the water was amazingly clear. The beach sand is dark, which does hold in the heat- but it was easily dealt with (wear flip-flops). We snorkled off the beach, and by boat. We kayaked. We took the water taxi to Castries (glad we went, would not go back). We took the water taxi to The Rainforest Hideaway for a wonderful romantic dinner. We saw, and spoke to Katie daily (she was there at breakfast and dinner- and even down on the beach one day). She always asked how we were enjoying our stay. The rest of the staff was extremely friendly- and it didn't ever seem fake. We especially enjoyed Cleus, George, Victoria, Kim, Dina and Ingrid who went out of their way to ask if we needed anything.
The room was clean- always. We never used our air conditioner, and slept with all the windows open. Total bug bites=2 (mosquitos). The mosquito netting was great- it really does work.
It rained every day we were there for a few minutes. This was almost always followed by a rainbow (I think I saw 5 rainbows during the week's stay). This wasn't the rainy season, so something unusual was going on, but it wasn't a problem as the showers were always very brief.
The only thing I didn't absolutely love was the way the birds would land on the tables in the dining room. I think a cat or two might be the only way to discourage them.
All in all- it was a wonderful trip and TiKaye is a wonderful resort.

3  Thank upstateny
Reviewed 18 February 2008

My husband and I are in love with Ti Kaye after spending our honeymoon there in July 2007, we booked the Adventurous Honeymoon Package. For better or worse we have held every other Caribbean vacation we've taken together up to this resort and nothing has compared. If you're looking for a romantic getaway or a honeymoon spot, look no further and you will not be disappointed. This resort is NOT for handicapped people, children, or anyone who is looking for a big resort experience. We stayed in AA for 3 nights and then moved to H for 4 nights because we wanted a plunge pool and it wasn't available for the first 3 nights. We were lucky enough to meet some really fun couples while staying there and made it into a party every night without a problem.

GET A PLUNGE POOL! I don't care what the other reviewers say, ours was the perfect temperature and we used it multiple times each day, it was one of the things we enjoyed the most about the trip. It comes with it's own private sun deck which is perfect for lying out on when you don't want to trek down the beach. We literally used the pool morning, noon, and night.

High level summary if you don't want to read my whole review:
-Get a plunge pool & go for ocean front
-Be prepared to do some walking to get around the resort and to the beach
-There's a good chance you will see lizards in your room or bathroom area
-Food was excellent
-Castries is a dump, save your time & go elsewhere
-Bring water shoes
-Staff was very friendly and went out of their way for us
-If you get car sick, be prepared for a long ride to and from the airport, we were fine.

Rooms:
You won't find another room like the TiKaye cottages! Huge front porch, hammock, chairs and table, pool & a sun deck if you've opted to go that route, large 4 poster king canopy bed, fridge, nice bathroom, open air shower, I don't know where to begin! The only downside to the room was that the air conditioner worked okay, but not great. I highly recommend getting an ocean front room, when we stayed in AA for the first 3 nights we mostly looked out at tree tops. Then we moved to H, which is an ocean front with pool and we spent hours sitting on the deck looking at the ocean, the views were absolutely breathtaking and you see quite a variety of birds hanging out in the banana trees. We're still talking about the open air shower- water pressure was fantastic and we didn't have any issues with running out of hot water, and we took long showers.

Food:
Very good, I am a super picky eater and don't eat any meat outside of Chicken. Breakfast was wonderful, fresh fruit, pastries, freshly squeezed juices, cereal, etc. were laid out buffet style and then you can order hot items off the menu. Breakfast being included in the price was a nice touch.
We only had lunch a few days. Twice at the beach bar, everything was very good and the serving sizes seemed to be a little larger than average. The other day we had it back in the main dining area and it was very good as well, if you want a change from the beach bar menu heading upstairs for lunch is the way to go.
Dinner was fantastic, every night!! 2 nights there wasn't any chicken dish on the menu for a main course so I kind of built my own meal of salad, mashed potatoes, whatever the vegetable of the day was, without any problem.

Beach:
This is not a white sand beach, the sand is practically black so it gets very hot. We spent hours lying out and snorkeling. The snorkeling was awesome just feet from the shore, we saw all sorts of fish, sea snakes (not as scary as they sound), and my husband even saw a turtle. The beach bar staff was great and always made sure we had a cocktail or beer in hand. There are vendors on the beach but once you tell them no they don't come back and harass you. Because the snorkeling is so great Sandals brings their boats to the bay for their snorkeling excursions, yes the boats play music and no it wasn't that bad. The Sandals people can't come on our side of the beach, we really didn't notice them too much.

Trips/Excursions:
Castries sucks, there isn't much to do there and we spent most of our time in the grocery store plotting what liquor to bring back to the resort with us. The only reason I'm glad we did this trip was we bought bottles of wine and some vodka a lot cheaper than what the resort offered and brought them back to the room with us. People offer you cabs every time you turn around, the streets were kind of dirty (typical for a lot of island towns but still annoying), don't wander too far away from the center of town or you might start to feel a little uncomfortable safety wise, I'm not saying we felt like we were going to get shot, but along with a few others we adapted the "safety in numbers" policy. The spot the tour guide recommended for lunch was amazing and we wound up going there 2 hours before the scheduled pick up because we were so bored out of our minds hanging around the town.

Soufriere was a much better trip. It rained the entire time we were at the botanic gardens but we made the best of it finding the only place there that sold beer. The gardens were gorgeous and easy to navigate around. The drive in volcano was interesting to see and learn about, it didn't feel like we were inside a volcano, but whatever. The plantation they take you to for lunch had great food and my husband tried a lot of the local dishes and he said they were fantastic.

Sunset cruise was phenomenal, I'm so glad we did it. Snacks & drinks are included and it was the perfect way to relax and unwind. We had great weather and the sailboat was a very nice size and very clean.

My husband loved the scuba (his first time) and I hated it (my first time as well), it just wasn't for me. The guide was very nice though and took time to try to get me comfortable in the water. My husband has some amazing pictures of his dive, even including an octopus. There is a reef not far off the dock that they take you to if you're a first time diver and it is home to a variety of marine life.

Zip Lining was very fun, it was the first time for both of us and it was a great way to spend a morning. It's a little far from the resort but worth signing up for.

Fish Fry: Great way to spend a night- we capitalized on free drinks at the Ti Kaye bar before the bus comes to pick you up and even took some for the road. We were feeling pretty good at the fish fry and didn't bother to try any of the food but we did karaoke with the locals, my husband was the champion of the evening, singing Ice Ice Baby without looking at the monitor once. The locals were loving it, taking pictures, and the next day the resort staff was even showing up the video footage they took on their phones of him rapping and me dancing- yes that is right, we are now Ti Kaye celebrities.

We had the couples massage and it was wonderful, we should have booked more!

WE LOVE TI KAYE!! It was the best vacation ever and both of us have traveled quiet a bit. We made some amazing friends who we partied with every night (to whoever called the front desk on us- you don't know how to have a good time!!!) and we still talk to. It was the absolutely perfect combo of sun, romance, and socializing, complete with amazing rooms and perfect views. You need to have your honeymoon here.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brooke1011
Reviewed 13 February 2008

Finally getting around to writing my trip review... from a brief glance at other reviews it seems that there is new management there now, but hopefully my review will still help those in the planning process. Just a little background on us to help put this review in perspective - we are in our late 20s/early 30s, and travel mostly to beachy locations. I have personally been to Hawaii, Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico, Tahiti, and several of the Caribbean Islands (Grand Cayman, St Thomas, St Maarten, Jamaica, Bahamas) so I consider myself fairly well traveled. I'm a huge foodie, so some may care less about the food details in my review, but for those who care, it's there :) It can maybe also give others an idea of the types of dishes to expect there.

Day 1: Our flight from Miami arrived into Hewannora Int'l Airport about 2:30. It took about 30 minutes for us to clear customs (our bags were already waiting on the other side at baggage claim when we made it through) and then we had to wait another 20 minutes for the other couple to come through customs. The driver from Ti Kaye was not holding a sign for us when we walked through, but one of the other people from another hotel saw us looking around for him and asked if we needed help and then directed us to the Ti Kaye guy. It was hot and humid and I was glad that I had layered since it's always cold on the plane. The trip to the hotel was about 1.5 hrs. Initially the roads near the airport were not too bad; they were windy but the roads were recently paved. But then we came upon roads that were in not so great condition and I could see what everyone had been talking about in their reviews. We had read the reviews and had taken some dramamine ahead of time, but DH got sick regardless and threw up twice along the way (he did much better sitting in the front seat so if you get car sick, ask the driver to let you sit up front). When we finally arrived at the hotel, we were taken straight to the bar where we were offered a complimentary drink and then were taken to our room. We booked an Ocean View room, and despite reading some reviews about obstructed views from the Ocean View vs Ocean Front rooms, we had a clear view of the ocean below. It was quite hot and moderately humid, so we were thankful for the A/C in our room. We ate dinner that night at the hotel's main restaurant, Kia Manje. We had the sampler of jerk pork, curried beef, and teriyaki chicken with dipping sauces, which was excellent. There was a garlic butter sauce, a sweet chili sauce, and a home made tomato ketchup sauce. Then we both had the catch of the day, mahi mahi, over mashed sweet potatoes with a side of veggies. The mahi mahi was good, a little over salted, but the sauce the chef had prepared over it was good. The mashed sweet potatoes were different from the ones I've had at home, and did not have as much of a distinct sweet potato taste to them. For dessert, I had the 151 proof bananas flambe and DH had the lemon tart. I was a little disappointed with the bananas flambe, as my ice cream was almost completely melted by the time the flame had died down (I had about 2 spoonfuls of solid ice cream and the rest was soupy). I love rum in my desserts but felt that they had added too much to this dessert so I felt like I was eating a rum soup. DH said the lemon tart was good but not excellent, as it was not very tart.

Day 2 (Wed): After sleeping in, we made our way down to the restaurant. DH had french toast and sausage and I had the St. Lucian breakfast (fried fish cakes, pickled cucumber, "Johnny cakes," fried plantains, and scrambled eggs). They give you this spicy ketchup to dip the fish cakes in that is really good. I miss having the St. Lucian breakfast! We spent the remainder of the day on the beach and met the "beach dude," Terry. It was about 11am before we got down there and initially we didn't see any open beach chairs but Terry waved us over and told us he has 'reserved' 2 beach chairs just for us :) For lunch, we ate down at the beach bar. I had the grilled fish burger and DH had the grilled chicken burger. Both were pretty good, especially with pina coladas and mango dacquiris :) After an afternoon at the beach, we headed back up to our rooms to clean up for dinner. Wed nights are buffet nights. They had a good variety of foods, but I just wish they had labeled them. There was a seafood chowder, fried plantains, pineapple and sweet potato salad, stewed green bananas, curried fish, grilled chicken, guava marinated steak, to name a few. For dessert there was vanilla and chocolate ice cream as well as guava sorbet. There was also some sort of chocolate dessert, but they had run out by the time we made it to the dessert table. What was left was cherry napoleon, mango mousse, and coconut pies. The food that night was great but the desserts were pretty mediocre.

Day 3 (Thurs): We took the boat tour to Castries (the capitol) on this day. Tip: wear plenty of sunscreen... although the boat is covered, once you get into town you'll be doing most of your walking around in the sun and will easily get burned. I made a conscious effort to walk in the shade when possible, but still ended up burning my shoulders! There is a lot of duty free shopping in Castries...this is where the cruise ships dock, so it can be a bit of tourist trap if you don't know how much something should be. For instance, our guide showed us where to get the cheapest rum--at Julian's supermarket--and when we were in La Place Carenage Duty Free Shopping Mall, we found the same bottle of rum for $20 that we had purchased for $13.45 at the supermarket! There is also a local crafts market where you can get souvenirs, tshirts, etc. For lunch we headed over to Froggie Jacques where they served us free rum punch because we were guests of Ti Kaye. DH had the spaghetti carbonara and I had an appetizer since I wasn't very hungry -- I had the breaded flying fish with hot mango chutney. Both dishes were very good, I don't think you can really go wrong w/anything on their menu. Overall, Castries wasn't a "must see" in my opinion, but it's great if you forgot to bring something on your trip because Castries will be the cheapest place to get them on the island ( i.e. underwater cameras are $20 at the hotel and were $15 at a camera shop we went to there). I would probably skip this tour if you don't have a lot of time or want to spend your money elsewhere. For dinner, we dined at the hotel again. I had the pumpkin ginger soup which I thought was good but not excellent, and the beef tenderloin in rum peppercorn squash atop smashed plantains. This entree was soooo good!! I highly recommend it! DH had the mustard glazed barbeque chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and said it was good too. For dessert I had the bread pudding with toffee sauce...mmm!!

Day 4 (Fri): We were woken up this morning by a phone call from the front desk telling us that our rainforest hike was cancelled because our tour guide was sick. This was a bit disappointing because we were ready to go out and do something active. We then decided to go snorkeling at the hotel instead but the waves were surging and a red flag was up so we had to hold off on that as well. So instead we spent some time by the pool this day and ate lunch in the main restaurant as well. DH had the jerk chicken baguette and I had the linguine with pesto and jerk chicken. Both were pretty bland and the jerk chicken did not have much flavor like it's supposed to, so we were a little disappointed. Every Friday night there is a fish fry that you can go to in Anse Cochon. We went more to experience the culture than for the food itself, as DH doesn't really like seafood. It's a short drive to the nearby fishing town. They drop you off at one end of the street... it is lined with various booths that are set up by the local villagers, each has cooked their own dishes with the local catch. There is lots of fish, shrimp, and even some lobster too. I had heard there was chicken somewhere for the non seafood eaters, but we did not find that booth. The most memorable thing we ate was actually some homemade ice cream! :) The locals have their music blasting, many are dancing in the street, and then you look around and see all the tourists going from booth to booth; it’s kind of amusing if you step back and look around you :) Great experience.

Day 5 (Sat): We both had the St. Lucian breakfast this day. For lunch, we ate in the main restaurant. I had the cold curry salad (which is actually a curried chicken salad wrap served with a side of mango chutney), DH had the chicken caesar salad but there was no caesar dressing. They just serve their house dressing which is a local type of dressing. It’s not really a Caesar salad without the dressing, so DH was a bit disappointed with it. This was probably one of my favorite days of the trip! We did the canopy tour, where you do the zip lining! They have 14 platforms that you go off of. Super safe – in fact, several people we went with said that this operation was much safer than others they had been to (i.e. Costa Rica) because of all the extra precautions they take for you. This was the highlight of our trip and I would highly recommend it! One tip though: try to find out which days there will be cruise ships docked at the island. We went on a day when there was no cruise ship so we had about 10-12 in our group (you have to wait in line to go down each zip line). Our guide told us that on days when the cruise ships are in, they do groups of 30-40 at a time! We ate dinner again in the main restaurant this night. We had the "drunken parrot" chicken satay appetizer with mango rum sauce. I had the curried jumbo prawns with rice and vegetables and DH had the blackened mahi mahi with garlic mashed potatoes. For dessert, we had the pineapple rum filo tart. All excellent.

Day 6 (Sun): This morning the hotel packed us a breakfast to-go so that we could leave for our early morning tour. This consisted of fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries and juice. This was the day we had picked to hike to the top of Gros Piton! We had someone pick us up from the hotel early in the morning… it was then a moderate drive into Soufriere. The driver dropped us off where we were met by our tour guide (no one is allowed to hike the Piton without a paid guide). Our guide was really nice, she bounced about all the rocks and everything like it was nothing. She was even wearing flip flops! I would definitely recommend wearing hiking shoes or at least sneakers for this climb as there is no real path for most of the climb. It’s a moderately difficult climb and with the weather so hot, we struggled to get the top. We had one couple in front of us that got ¾ of the way up and then turned back down because they just couldn’t go any further! When we finally made it to the top, we were rewarded with the most magnificent view of the island and Petit Piton! It was absolutely worth all the effort. While it seemed to take forever, our guide said that we made really good time making it to the top; it took us about an hour and a half. Our guide said that it can take some people up to 5-6 hours each way! We actually got back to the resort around 1-2pm so we were able to get a late lunch there. DH had the “chef salad” with grilled beef and sauteed onions -- came out and looked the same as the "cold cut beef salad" on their menu, again with the local dressing. I had the curried salad again. After lunch we spent some more time on the beach. When we returned to our room they had delivered a fresh fruit basket w/sparkling wine for us as part of our package. It was great to be able to munch on the fresh fruit, as we had worked up quite an appetite before dinner. For dinner that evening DH had the chicken pelau which is chicken, rice, veggies, stewed together in "island spices." I had the steamed creole catch of the day (mahi mahi) in spicy tomato basil sauce atop coriander mashed potatoes. Both were good but by this evening we were started to get tired of eating the same thing every night. It wasn’t that the food wasn’t good, but we got tired of eating the same ‘style’ of food every night.

Day 7 (Mon): On this day we did the Land and Sea tour. We visited a beautiful waterfall, but the water was too cold for me to get in. Mostly only the men on the tour when into the water, only a few ladies got in! The botanical gardens were nice as well. They also take you to ‘drive in’ volcano/sulphur springs. This was pretty cool (and stinky!), but given that we have already been to the big volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii, this wasn’t too impressive to us. It was still interesting to see this part of the island though. After the volcano, they took us to a little plantation for lunch. I guess they usually go to one particular place, but on the day we went, it was closed. The plantation was really quaint. Lunch was pineapple chicken, pasta (macaroni) w/red sauce, salad, rice, fried plantains, potatoes and carrots. Although far from gourmet, it was nice to have a homecooked meal made by some residents. After the tour, we spent some more time on the beach at Ti Kaye. For dinner, we decided to visit the Rainforest hideaway in Marigot Bay. We had heard a lot of good things about it, so we were eager to try it. Since DH got so sick on the St. Lucian roads, we decided to take a boat taxi to get there. We had the front office put a note on the bulletin board looking for other couples to share the boat taxi with us, hoping that it would reduce the price… however, even though we had 2 other couples go with us, the resort still charged us the same price (I was a bit disappointed/upset about that). The ambience at the Rainforest Hideaway is wonderful. The restaurant is actually on the dock. They seated us right at the waterfront. Unfortunately, that’s the best thing I can say about the place. The food was good but nothing spectacular and the service was severely lacking. I think part of the problem was that half way through our meal, a large group showed up so then all the servers were busy taking care of that group. We had to spend a significant time waiting in between each course of our meal, and when we were ready for our bill, it took them 30 minutes to bring it to us. Another couple from Ti Kaye said it took them 30 minutes to bring them their dessert! I’m sure this was all because of the large group that was there, but (1) we were there first and (2) you can’t just ignore your other guests just because you are also taking care of a large party. In the end, we wished we had just stayed at Ti Kaye for dinner that evening.

Day 8 (Tues): On this day we went on the horseback riding trip. We took a car ride to the northern part of the island. They picked horses for each of us based on our experience (we had very little). Once we were on the horses, they took us down a path that led down to the beach where we were able to ride the horses along the beautiful white sand beach. We stopped for a short break at a shack where you can purchase little souvenirs or a cold drink. After the break, they took the saddles off the horses and let us ride them into the water. They actually seemed to enjoy this part quite a bit! It was a lot of fun but I also got grossed out because the moment they hit the water, all the horses decided to take a dump! That’s the only reason why I probably wouldn’t want to do this again, just because I feel like it pollutes the beautiful blue waters. If you do this trip, make sure you wear plenty of sunscreen. There was a newer resort at this beach, though I can’t remember the name of it… I would avoid this hotel for the mere fact that all of the horseback riding tours (even the other tour operators) are on this beach so you end up with a beautiful white sand beach and water that is littered with horse poop!

Day 9 (Wed): This was our last day in St. Lucia. We had to leave in the early afternoon so we had time for breakfast at the hotel, at little time at the beach to relax, and then we had to catch the shuttle back to the airport before lunchtime.

Overall: We really loved Ti Kaye. If we were to go back to St. Lucia, we would definitely stay there again. The staff was warm and friendly and several staff members learned our names after the very first time we met them. The walk up/down the stairs to the beach is not bad at all. I read some bad reviews on tripadvisor so I guess I should say that the walk is not bad as long as you are younger and in good health. (It’s not like climbing the Piton or anything!) After all the food we were eating, we needed the exercise! I would never let those steps keep anyone from going there. The beach is not your picture perfect white sand beach (it is dark volcanic sand), but that did not keep us from enjoying it. We never had problems getting a beach chair and the beach guy will get you whatever you need. The sand can get really hot during the day, so make sure you don’t go down there barefoot. The only big complaint we had was the weather! It was too hot and humid when we went, and that made it difficult to spend any significant amount of time sun bathing. Not sure if it’s different during other times of the year? To counteract this, we made use of our outdoor shower. It was the perfect way to cool down in the afternoons. It was our first time staying in a place with an outdoor shower and it was amazing! We had no problems with bugs in our room. We saw a few geckos, but those are harmless. I did apply mosquito repellent before dinner each evening (provided by the hotel), as I tend to be a mosquito magnet wherever I go. I maybe only got one or two mosquito bites during out trip. The bathrooms were just ok, nothing too impressive, but we had everything we needed. The rooms were very private, we never really heard or even saw any of our neighbors. We only ended up snorkeling there once and it was just ok; not sure if it was just that we picked a bad spot? It’s hard to get good visibility out there unless you snorkel very early in the morning or later in the day after the tour boats have left. Speaking of the tour boats, that is one down side to Ti Kaye. The snorkeling is supposed to be some of the best on the island so all the tour boats come there during the late morning and they all leave in the early afternoon. They don’t take over the beach or anything, but they are out in the water on their boats, hanging out and snorkeling. Some play music from their boats but they didn’t really bother us at all, except that we had to avoid snorkeling during those times because it was so crowded. The lunch food was good, nothing to write home about. Dinners were better and were usually very good. Towards the end of the trip, we were getting a little tired of the same style of cooking and seasonings, but we’re used to eating at lots of different places when we vacation. This was our first time staying at any place that was even remotely close to similar to an all-inclusive (because of its location, you really have to make a trip to go eat somewhere else). This was the first time we did not rent a car and tour the island ourselves on a vacation. That was mostly because of DH’s bad experience getting to the hotel. When I had researched this island, I had heard about how bad the roads were and I thought people were just talking about the condition of the roads. I honestly don’t think the conditions of the roads are that awful, but because St. Lucia is so mountainous, there are sooooo many twists and turns in the roads that anyone who gets car sick easily will likely get car sick. Because of that, we felt a little limited in what we could do… regardless, we still had plenty to do through the hotel’s adventure package. We enjoyed each tour that we did, and were happy that we had plenty to do on the island because we’re not the type to just sit on the beach every single day! St. Lucia is an amazing destination with beautiful beaches, gorgeous mountains, and plenty of activities/sights to see. We truly loved it there and would recommend it to anyone looking for a destination that is a good mix of beach and land/sea activities.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
8  Thank yalie2001
Reviewed 11 February 2008

We just returned last night from Ti kaye :(. Oh sad day, sad day! I relied a lot on this site for info prior to our honeymoon, so I will try to give back as much as possible.

The cottages: They were very clean and adorable. This was the perfect accomodation. The weather was beautiful, so air condition was not needed this time of year. We did not have a plunge pool and would have never used it if we had gotten it. The water at the beach was cool, so I imagine the pool would have been as well. The bed was a little hard, but my husband didn't mind. I like a super soft bed. The outdoor shower ran out of water fast because the water heaters were so small, but it was still very cool to be outside. The views were incredible and appeared so from every cottage.

The food: I think maybe we just missed American food, but we weren't too impressed. Service was very good and suprisingly quick and the staff was very kind, but there was a very limited selection, at dinner especially. You have a sheet in your room that will allow you to order snacks and they will stock your bar and room. Order them if you like to snack because outside of food service hours, you are not getting food! We wished there was a little more flexibility to the dining (breakfast until 10 am, lunch from 12-4 and we always had dinner at 7:30 pm). Just know the schedule if you don't get snacks. We were scouring Rodney Bay by Wednesday for supplemental food! I do have to say, however, that what they do serve is very good, but just sometimes different from what we anticipated. No big deal.

Excursions: We went to Pidgeon Island/ Rodney Bay and the views from the fort are priceless. We went to the Fond Doux estate. We found out that you just don't call a taxi to take you somewhere. Everything is a tour. Everyone does tours. Expect one if you are driven anywhere. Also bring change for tips. If you take pictures of locals doing something particularly interesting, they will want money. Again, no problem. They depend on a tourism in the economy, so it helps the people. We loved the canopy zipline tour. Don't expect to see lots of rainforest with this one though because it is in an adventure park, but it was rediculous amounts of fun! We also ate at the Rainforest Hideaway on Friday. We have never felt so spoiled and the ambiance is very romantic.

The stairs: They are rough. I don't care how positive you are...if you go down, you must come up and it is a hike! That said, it just has to be done and the beach is worth it. People with disabilities could technically be driven to the beach, but some of the walkways were tricky to navigate around the resort.

The changes: They brought back the breakfast ala carte menu by Wednesday of our stay! They listened to your concerns and have brought it back. The mananger Katie was very friendly and worked very hard to mingle with every single guest and to make sure everyone knew they could have whatever they want. She is listening and responding to concerns and that is what is important. She is also very excited that a spa has been approved...date unknown. I didn't feel spoiled necessarily, but everyone was very nice. Too much attention would have been too much for me anyway.

There is no nightlife or day life outside of the beach and excursions. I would recommend one or two day activities that aren't beach related at the resort. As to what they should be...I have no idea! We were bored by our "routine" by the fourth day, but we were still in love with the views. We are not partiers, but the one night the band was there was fun! I would recommend the band being there more often that just buffet night.

All of these details were for your avid readers. but I simply enjoyed our stay. The people are great, the views are amazing, and it's not your work office...so enjoy it!!!

8  Thank SPI424
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!