“Idyllic honeymoon destination” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Idyllic honeymoon destination”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

As with many other couples, we were in Ti Kaye for our honeymoon. It was a fantastic choice by my husband and surpassed our expectations.

Accommodation: we booked one of the rooms with plunge pool, these are definitely worth it for couples looking for privacy as they are a little more secluded. Our room, Innosan, had a lovely garden feel surrounded by fruit trees and flowers. We even saw hummingbirds next to the deck. Cheeky bullfinches visited daily, I would advise people not to feed them because they really don't need any further encouragement! The garden shower had a great ocean view and was one of my favourite things about the place. Although it was unheated we used the plunge pool every day, it was a great way to cool down. The bed was huge and comfortable, as was the hammock outside on the deck. The cleaners kept the place spotless and replenished the filtered water in our fridge daily - we didn't buy bottled water the whole time there.

Food: we had mixed experiences. Dinner was fine, plenty of options and only rarely did we have disappointing dishes (nothing awful, just nothing special). There wasn't anything that really stood out though. Portion sizes were fine. In hindsight, we wouldn't have done the half-board plan as we didn't really need 3 courses every day. Starters were often more interesting than the mains, and desserts were a weak point - I would have thought there'd be more use of the wonderful fruit available on the island. The Wednesday buffet was OK - interesting selection but much of the meat and fish was overdone. Lunch was very hit-and-miss. On our first day, we were served at the sunbeds on the beach and it was wonderful, but going to the beach cafe later we found the portions were smaller and the quality worse. On our last day we had lunch in the main restaurant and it was much better. Breakfast started to get boring quite fast, the hot options are mainly egg- or batter-based.

Activities: as with many other reviewers, we thought the wine tasting was amazing. I found it hard to drag my wine buff husband away at the end of the evening as he and Cleus were deep in discussion! The Land and Sea Tour is definitely worth it, and Christian is a very good guide. We didn't bother taking swimwear and didn't really feel like we missed out when we saw the waterfall. The one disappointment we had was the Rainforest Hike, it's run by an outside contractor and was not worth the money, being a very rushed walk down steps to a waterfall and back up again with a disinterested guide. But we lodged a complaint when we returned, so perhaps it will change. We booked our own trip through the resort - the Hotel Chocolat Tour, which we highly recommend. It's very detailed and hands-on, one of the best tours I've ever done.

Beach: yes, there's steps down... but they don't exactly make that a secret on their website, and it really wasn't so bad. The "beach dudes" are friendly and attentive. The vendors are no problem at all, if you're not interested they will leave you be - or if you just want to chat, they're happy to oblige. My husband enjoyed the snorkelling, except when the Sandals boats came to dump loads of people in the water, but that's to be expected at a place like this.

Transport: the dreaded bumpy road going to the resort was not anywhere near as bad as we thought it would be, reading some of the reviews! It does also help to keep the resort and beach more secluded and private. Our airport transfer to the resort was done by Christian, who gave us a great introduction to St Lucia.

Our stay was exactly what we needed, relaxing and tranquil. Lovely place.

2 Thank DisplacedWelshie
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Hi DisplacedWelshie (great name)!

We appreciate you taking the time to write your very detailed review, and of course are delighted that you found your 'Idyllic honeymoon destination'. (As we are (and have been for a long time) #1 on Tripadvisor for romance in Saint Lucia I think we're a great fit for honeymooners)! Thanks also for mentioning there's no need to buy bottled water, something I may have been trying to get across to all guests in previous replies :-) (If you bring a sports bottle with you we'll happily refill that if your going out on trips and tours).

I'll be discussing your comments on your dining experiences with the F&B team as this a couple of irregularities that shouldn't happen have come up a couple of times now so it's obviously something we need to address urgently. With regards to lunch at the beach, we 'just' changed the beach menu (I think the day you left) and everybody thinks it's fantastic - and hopefully if you return you will too. Breakfast we are looking and will be changing that up in the next week or so, as again, we've had a few comments so it's something we need to (and are) addressing.

Happy to read that overall you enjoyed the activities. I have discussed the rainforest hike with the Front Office Manager and will be evaluating that. We might even try and incorporate the chocolate tour based on your recommendations - it's just an early start!

Thanks again for your review, we look forward to seeing you next time you need a relaxing and tranquil vacation.

General Managers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Our stay at Ti Kaye was very relaxing and magical, my (adult) children (3) and I wanted to get away for Thanksgiving and chose Ti kaye since it seemed quaint and idyllic! We were thrilled when we got there since it was exactly what we "needed"... the resort is located on the slopes of a hill/cliffs that ends on the beach... the beach is private nestled in a curve between slopes...clear blue water and rocks... great snorkelling. The cottage that we stayed at was charming with a lovely verandah with a hammock. Food was reasonable and we felt that the menu was "limited". Service was excellent except during lunch at the main restaurant. The outdoor bathrooms are charming, except that it was tricky to turn on the shower and regulate the water since the taps would not "lock".....
We did NOT opt for the "all meal inclusive " plan and just opted for Bfast which was very wise and much more economical! We felt that the tours and activities were a bit pricey , the spa is divine but expensive!
overall amazing experience!
By the way- the diving was great!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LOVELYJADE
Hello 'Lovelyjade'!

Thanks for your review. Great to know you and your family found 'paradise' and you all enjoyed snorkeling and diving. Thanks for your feedback on lunch service at Kai Manje (I'll pass that onto the F&B Team) and I'll have maintanance look at teh taps for the shower to make sure nothing is wrong as we've not had that come up before. As I mentioned in my last reply the tours & activites we offer can be a bit more expensive as we make sure we use licensed and insured tour operators / guides etc. Our tours sometimes include lunch as well which is something to keep in mind when 'costing' other options.

We look forward to meeting you again next time your family have a re-union.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at Ti Kaye for four nights in November. On the whole, we had a lovely, relaxing time in beautiful surroundings - no point repeating all the wonderful reviews that have gone before us. We loved our cottage Ewe with all its facilities and the outdoor shower. Although it was only an "oceanview room" (not a "Cottage" with or without Pool) we were actually very pleased with our choice as many of the pool cottages appeared to be very much on top of each other and offering less privacy and unspoilt views than Ewe which was in one of the highest locations and did not have any other guests passing by. We even enjoyed the steps up (and down to the beach) - with all the relaxing we did, we felt we could do with all the exercise we could get! Ewe is one of the "duplex" cottages but we never heard a single sound from anybody.

As mentioned by other reviewers, two of the highlights of our stay was the wine-tasting with Cleus (who impressed us not only with his superior taste buds but with his intimate knowledge of every little wine-growing village in France and Italy!) and the couple's massage with Lu-anne and Yvonne in the outstandingly beautiful spa. The thought of placing mirrors at the foot of the massage beds so you can enjoy the beautiful view even face-down is a fantastic idea! The beach was lovely, sunbeds were always aplenty and the beach vendors were hardly visible and very polite in their rare approaches. We also loved all the local wildlife and had birdies eating out of our hands each morning!

What we did not particularly enjoy at Ti Kaye was the main restaurant. The breakfast menu was unimaginative and really not comparable to that of most other resorts we have stayed in around the world. After four days, we were seriously running out of choices. There are no meats or cheeses to choose from at the buffet - just butter, one type of cream cheese and jams. However, what disappointed us the most were the evening meals. Firstly, lighting on the restaurant terrace is scarce. I know it's all about ambience but all the ambience in the world does not make up for the fact that we could not read the menu without a flashlight (which I had luckily brought with me). Nor were we able to actually see what we were eating. We are in our early 40s and while I'm aware that my eye sight is not quite what it once was, my husband has 20/20 vision and was equally struggling. The lack of light proved to be particularly annoying when we ordered seafood dishes which required de-shelling and removing fish bones in the dark. The portions (as far as we could see them) were small and none of the dishes were particularly memorable. Most also appeared to be served luke-warm. They certainly did not merit the attached price-tags. The only meal we enjoyed was the 5-course seafood dinner at the beach restaurant which is served on a Monday night.

The unsatisfactory restaurant would not really be a problem if one had the option of dining elsewhere. However, unless you have a car, the remote location makes this very difficult. We managed to get a water taxi to the Rainforest Hideaway in Marigot Bay one night where the food was absolutely superb. This was after the manager had tried to persuade us that this was not possible due to the swell which would prevent any boat from docking. In the event, we made arrangements with one of the boat guys on the beach (E.T.) who had absolutely no problem picking us up and dropping us back off again at the Ti Kaye pier - and for half the price the hotel would have charged for the same service. Lesson: if you decide to go to the Rainforest Hideaway for dinner, make your own arrangements rather than paying the exorbitant $140 the hotel charges for a 10 minute boat ride!

Staff were friendly and helpful on the whole although I can't say that anybody stood out in particular. When checking the bill for our first night's dinner (back in our room, of course, as there was no chance being able to read it in the restaurant itself!) we noticed that it had been charged to another room's all inclusive plan. Of course, we reported this to reception the next morning so they could amend their records and bill us for our dinner. The two ladies there just made a note of what we told them but did not even bother to say thank you for our spotting and reporting their mistake. Room service was good but did not include any of the towel animals or night-time chocolates that we are used to from staying in similarly priced resorts in other parts of the world (yes, one can live without a towel elephant I hear you say, and you would be right!)

All in all, Ti Kaye is a lovely, quiet (no children, just lots of pregnant ladies!) and relaxing kind of place. We would have liked it even more if we had not felt that we were being slightly taken advantage of due to its remote location. Oh, and a few 60 Watt bulbs in the restaurant wouldn't go amiss, either!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NCVienna
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Hi NCVienna,

Thank you for your detailed review - and your constructive criticism, it's very helpful for us.

Glad you enjoyed your stay overall (even the steps up from the beach!), including the wine tasting, Spa treatments, the room in general and the beach (thanks for highlighting specific members of staff as well), but of course disappointing that you weren't so happy with the dining options.

The breakfast buffet we've been working on over the past couple of months - but clearly still have some way to go. The meats and cheeses we actually only discussed a few days ago so they should be making their onto the continental buffet soon. With regards to evening meals, the evening menus do change every day for 7 days with 5 different appetizers, main courses and desserts each day. Being a smaller resort offering a bigger menu does come with several complications. As or the lighting, I totally agree. We unfortunately had an issue with a specialized dimmer switch (which we didn't have a spare of for some reason, and we can't get on island) which did make the restaurant even darker. However, even with that it can still be a bit ...well - dark. It's something we have been trying to come up with options for without loosing the romantic setting - so thanks for bringing it to the forefront of our minds again.

We are in a secluded location so 'eating out' is a bit of a haul (Rainforest Hideaway is the closest at 15 minutes by boat or 25 by car / taxi). I do recall the conversation with you regarding the swells, although recall it slightly differently; we had not docked out boat and had decided to minibus our guests on a tour to a marina with no swells to ensure the safety of our guests getting on and off the boat. I did say that it might be difficult for you getting in and out of the boat (as you had already made boat arrangements) and the boat may not even come to the dock (the last thing a boat captain wants is to damage his boat) so you may have to wade out at the far end of the beach where the swells were smaller, but it was up to you, and if the worst came to the worst you could get a 25 minute land taxi. Trying to persuade guests not to eat out is something I do not do as I am well aware of our secluded location - and Saint Lucia has alot to offer. I think in a previous review somebody mentioned I suggested and recommended other restaurants. If my concern for your safety came across as 'trying to persuade you' not to eat out I apologize. I'm delighted that you did make it out and enjoyed their food, and we will work on ours.

With regards to taxis (and boat taxis), I have mentioned on many occasions they are very expensive in Saint Lucia. We have our own minibuses but also use public taxis, and we are all very similar prices. We do not operate our boat at night so use a local boat captain who is insured - and that's the key thing. Taxis and boat taxis we use (including ourselves of course) are insured, safe, well maintained (vehicles have A/C) and are licensed - this makes these modes of transport more expensive. If something would have happened does he have safety equipment? A radio (is his mobile phone charged)? Did he have navigation lights? What would happen if you had an accident, would your travel insurance cover it? All these things need to be taken into consideration when calculating transport costs. Sorry for rabbiting on, but I'm also a Scuba diving instructor - and a boat captain, so the safety of my guests is paramount to me.

Thanks again for your review NCVienna, we will work on the issues you raised - and some 60 watt light bulbs so if you choose to return you hopefully won't have to carry your flashlight with you :-)

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I came here to go diving at Island Divers, which is on their property. This place is beautiful. There are birds and little lizards the may be on your porch, so if you are totally not into nature, this may not be the place for your. We enjoyed walking down to the beach every day for lunch and relaxing. We really liked the outdoor shower, especially when it was raining. It was a very fun experience. There are no televisions, but they have WiFi in the main area (and sometimes we could access it in our cottage). We were able to download some shows to watch in our room. The views from every place in the resort were spectacular. This trip was part of my husband's birthday present and we both had a really good time. It had the feeling of an eco lodge but the service of a hotel. I would definitely recommend this for those that like a little adventure in their lives.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy C
Hello Tracy C (and husband),

Thank you for taking the time to post a review (two actually, as I see you have posted on our Island Divers Tripadvisor page too - great)!

Really happy that you enjoyed your stay - and the diving, we do have fantastic staff all round. Although not an 'eco lodge' (sometimes that word scares people!) we do make our own drinkable water, treat our own water, grow some of own herbs, vegetables and fruits plus try and reduce how much plastic we use (and in 2014 we'll be installing some solar panels!) so we are pretty much eco, but as you say, with 'the service of a hotel'.

Enjoy the rest of the world - and if it doesn't match up to Ti Kaye ... you know where we are...

Thanks
OOB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Ti Kaye Resort was more than we ever expected. My husband and I were on our honeymoon and had a wonderful time enjoying the splendor of the most relaxing and beautiful resort we could have dreamed of. Our "little house" was overlooking a beautiful scenery of the ocean, boats, and a beach. Between the hammock, lounge chairs, rocking chairs, outdoor shower within a garden, and small pool all to ourselves we never wanted to leave the room. (The rooms with a plunge pool are WORTH the extra money!) The food was incredible. The wine tasting was one of the funnest nights we have had in a long time. Don't miss it! The snorkeling was the best we have ever experience (compared to the Virgin Islands, Costa Rica, Bahamas, and Jamaica). Not to mention the awesome captain and first mate (Manuel and Eustis) who made the snorkel and sunset cruise a fun trip. Climbing the garden grown paths and stairs around the resort were a pleasure. Granted you might me out of breath by the top, just enjoy the climb because it's a beautiful spot worth taking in. We stayed in room Gwiyen which was really private and had the best view! Although we saw many other cabins that we imagined were just as wonderful as the one we stayed in. If you are contemplating other islands or other honeymoon locations, just choose Ti Kaye. It's a dream. And the local people are the most friendly and sweet people who we really enjoyed being around. Thank you, Ti Kaye, for showing Room G such a good time. We will be back! Clias, Roland, Wally, Manuel, Eustis, the entire wait staff and spa staff, the sweet front desk girls, and all of the chefs... You're the best!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank belocin
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hi Belocin,

Thank you very much for your 'beyond expected review'! I am delighted that your room, the view, the food (the plunge pool!) - and especially the staff were more than what you expected. It's good to know that our snorkeling is also 'the best ever' compared to other places you've been. We print off these reviews and pin them in the staff canteen so I'm all will be very happy, especially the staff you highlighted.

We look forward to seeing you for a 'dream anniversary' maybe?

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at Ti Kaye resort for only 2 nights in early November 2013. Even though it was a short stay, everything about the resort was excellent. From the moment we arrived, you immediately started relaxing due to the great atmosphere and wonderful staff.
We had a great cottage/room with all facilities you need (comfortable bed, clean room, fridge with fresh milk, AC, wireless, no telly - great). The cottage had a veranda which was lovely to sit on providing a wonderful view over the bay and also share with the very tame birdlife. We also had a private outside shower, which you sometimes had to share with the brief rain showers and the odd gecko!
We also ate a couple of times at the restaurant and the beach restaurant and I can say the food and service were also great (apart from one dinner where we had to ask for our dessert but who cares, we were not in a hurry).
The resort also has access to a wonderful beach and beautiful bay area, with its own beach bar overlooking the water with good food. The locals on the beach make all sorts of goods but were relaxed about trying to sell you these.
If you want to see the island then I would advise having a car because the resort is tucked away from the main access roads to the rest of the island so makes you dependant on taxis.
I can honestly say Ti Kaye was a wonderful resort to spend our vacation and we would return to it if ever we went back to St Lucia, which is a possibility because the island is warm and welcoming as well with friendly people and a lot to see for an island.
If you are looking for a resort in St Lucia that is beatiful, tranquil, wth great staff and facilities all competitively priced (the island also has some stupidly priced resorts as well) then Ti Kaye should be top of the list. You will love it!!

2 Thank Mark A
Hi Mark A,

Thanks for your 'superb' review, all the staff will be delighted to read it and know they're doing a great job.

You've described Ti Kaye very well so I have nothing more to add. We only hope that if you return to our 'competitively priced resort with great staff and facilities', it'll be for longer than 2 days.

Graham, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Ti Kaye is a lovely Property was just there Nov 12-16th, 2013. We stayed in Cottage Mele with a plunge Pool and loved it. It was rustic, elegant and private which was great. However, with many steps just to get out of the room and a small hike up to reception, we were a bit put off that our phone was out of service for the duration of our stay. A bit inconvenient having to Skype to call the front desk on my dime, but when in Paradise, little can deter you. The surroundings were lovely and the room very nice. Loved our plunge pool and outdoor shower, was not bothered by the occasional lizard in the room, and liked the view very much. We enjoyed watching the barges and ships come and go in the morning. A few shout outs to the wonderful staff - Verna at the restaurant for helping out when we needed her and Cecil the night security guard for taking good care of my hubby when his Tablet charging cord broke and he helped us replace it. :) Thank you again Cecil!! You Rock! Yvonne at the Spa was gracious and worked me over during our 90 minute couples massage. What a view - and loved the Lemongrass scent! Cleus did a wonderful job on the wine tasting and we enjoyed our inclusive Lanmou package, although we might forgo it on the next visit as you never know what you're going use in real time, we may have benefited going the ala cart route this trip. I think I read someone else caution to check your bill at departure time, we had lots of corrections and reminders of what was/and was not included in our package booked. Still, food and waitstaff was amazing, view unforgettable and overall experience one we will not soon forget. I would go back in a second! A true paradise and yes, some walking and level of fitness is required to tackle those infamous beach stairs but it was all well worth it.

Room Tip: Plunge Pool is a must!