“Wonderful Vacation - Hard to Leave”

Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We looked forward to our honeymoon at Ti Kaye for months, having booked back in March. In the end, we certainly felt it lived up to our expectations!

Ti Kaye is definitely remote - the drive from UVF is around 90 minutes long, on very twisty and hilly roads. The last mile is on the dirt road leading into the resort - and the road is pretty rough. It takes about ten minutes to drive the last mile because the road is so bumpy and uneven. We didn't mind it, but tried not to take it more than necessary.

Our stay was in a le cottage with pool, and we would absolutely recommend this for others on a honeymoon or anniversary trip. The outdoor shower was fantastic - sometimes a little chilly early in the morning if it was raining, but really - showering outside in the rain? Amazing.

The bed was huge - very firm (hard), but we expect this in the Caribbean, after our trips to Mexico. I asked for an extra blanket early on, as my husband liked to sleep with the air conditioning on, and they seemed a little unsure. An extra sheet was brought to our room instead. I asked again the next day (left a note for housekeeping, with an explanation) and this time got a blanket. Our mosquito netting had a hole in it, but we weren't really sure we needed it anyhow since we kept our windows shut most of the time. The room was very clean, with a few tropical visitors (I think they were centipedes? We had lots of them. One night we had a cockroach which scared me - my first time seeing one - but that was only once, and we laughed at it.)

After speaking with another traveler, we chose not to purchase any sort of meal plan and were happy with our decision. The meal plan is great if you know you will be eating all of your meals at the resort, and you are big eaters - but we tended to skip some and didn't want to feel obliged to eat because of the plan. Also, we noticed surcharges on the menu for a lot of the more expensive meals, if you are on a plan. There is also a mini bar list, for items you would like delivered to your room. This was a little hit and miss for us. One day, we received a call asking if we still wanted the items requested (we said yes, and they eventually made their way to us several hours after the expected time). Another time, we didn't receive a few items at all, but discovered on check out we had been billed for them (about $10-$15 worth). We explained the situation to the front reception and they removed the charge.

The beach is beautiful, and yes - there are 166 stairs leading down (and then up again). It is tough! We challenged ourselves to take them at least once a day, and by the end could almost run the whole way up. My legs were happy for the exercise - on such a relaxing vacation, a little challenge was nice. The beach restaurant makes some great lunch food as well - we loved the quesadilla in particular - and their drinks are delish. We didn't find the vendors on the beach difficult - they are mostly selling to the boats that come by from other resorts, and will strike up a chat with you once or twice then leave you alone. The water is beautiful and there are tons of sun beds.

We did try several of the excursions offered, as well as the spa, and were overall happy with them. At the spa, Theresa is wonderful - I had both a Kai Koko massage and a coconut body scrub/wrap with her.

The Land and Sea tour is excellent - a must-do if you want to see more of St. Lucia. If Christian is leading it, you're in for a treat. He is so well-versed in interesting facts and knowledge about the island. We adored him.

We also tried whale watching (didn't see anything but it was a great boat trip on a beautiful day!); the Castries trip (probably not a great idea unless you intend to shop - we didn't read the info carefully since it states it is a shopping trip!); Gros Piton climb (my husband only - he had a great time); and wine tasting (Cleus will amaze you with his knowledge!).

The only disappointing tour was the ATV tour my husband went on. It is quite expensive - the most of any single activity I think, at $180pp. The time on the ATV was short in comparison, at just an hour, and the rest of the time (around 2 or 3 hours) is spent driving to/from the location. He felt a little shortchanged on this one, expecting a lot more. He also found the tour operators pushy - offering snacks and then telling him what to have before he had made a decision. I know Ti Kaye doesn't run this tour, but think it is important they know we were unhappy since I am sure they want to offer experiences to their guests which are well-reviewed. I tried to have my husband express his frustration to the hotel directly before we left, but he felt there was no point as the money had been spent already.

In the end it was a fantastic trip filled with relaxation and amazing Ti Kaye service. The staff will work hard to learn your name and greet you each day by it. We had several staff members seek us out at the end to say goodbye as well, which was so nice. The service and the location truly make this a little slice of paradise, and we were so sad to leave. Thank you for a wonderful honeymoon!

Room Tip: We stayed in Lammou, at the other end of the resort from the reception area. While Niche is at the v...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Yaena
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Hello Yaena,

Thanks for your great review – especially as you are an avid TripAdvisor reviewer!

It seems our outdoor showers are very popular (99% thumbs up I think)! Nothing has changed there but since you stayed we have refurbished the Le Cottage with Pool rooms – no need for an extra blanket now as they come with a duvet ... and new pillows, and 300 thread count cotton linen, and new furniture, and a more energy efficient mini-fridge, and bedside lamps (and we are thoroughly checking all mosquito nets and replacing where necessary – thanks for mentioning that).

I agree on your choice of the full board meal plan, if you won’t be eating with us all the time it doesn’t make sense. We do have a half board option (and the opposite of an All Inclusive if you decide to spent all your time chilling out with us)! We will be evaluating the meal plan prices as the supplements have come up a couple of times now. We have also changed out mini-bar process so they’ll be no issues when you return (guest feedback always helps us improve).

Running up the stairs from the beach – wow, that’s some going!

Happy you enjoyed your tours (and wine tasting), except the ATV tour. We will be addressing this directly with them. Again, great feedback – but like you I wish your husband would have mentioned it to me whilst you were still here.

Great to read that in summary ‘it was a fantastic trip filled with relaxation and amazing Ti Kaye service’, we’ll all be delighted if that’s what we’re known for.

No need to be sad – because we look forward to seeing you for an anniversary!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Getting here takes a long time but is well worth it. Spectacular views, accommodating staff, plenty of island excursions, and the best dive personnel on St. Lucia. If you dive, you simply must stay here. Service overall was personalized and attentive. There were evening activities that encouraged us to meet others staying here. These activities were not lame or forced - we enjoyed the variety; but, there's nothing wrong with wanting to keep to yourself and relax on vacation, which you can easily do here just as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KDS1981

Hi KDS1981,

We appreciate your concise review. I think you covered all the bases (and our Island Divers crew really appreciates your comments - they think so too)!

We hope to see you again,

Reviewed 11 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at TiKaye 11/18-11/25 immediately following our wedding and honestly I was looking forward to it more than the wedding! (actually our wedding was pretty awesome) I'd read every review and looked at literally all of the photos on my lunch breaks. Once we got there, I felt like I has stepped into those pictures. I had done my research and requested Mele or Niche- the 2 supposedly best cottages with pool. We got Mele and it was perfect. I could live with a porch like that! The pool was a little chilly- it's prob much more comfortable during hotter times of the year. Loved the outdoor showers and how they opened onto the pool. We had little trouble with the birds or Mosquitos. The birds were only little finches that added to the charm of the place. I wish I'd had thought to bring big spray so I didn't have to pay for it there. On that note-Make sure you have ALL toiletries/ convenience items you think you'll use- it stinks having to pay double/ more for it there!
The resort staff was so genuine, polite and happy!! We did not encounter one single person who was anything but enthusiastic to help us have a good time!! I always remember them saying" you're most welcome" after every thank you( and I said it a lot!). Tanika in the front was super helpful, so were all the restaurant staff(sorry I don't remember names)We loved watching them dance to the great band at the mid-week Buffett! Ronald remembered my husband and I every time and Cleus was everything they say about him and more!!! We even watched a documentary on sommeliers when we got home because of him! The beach is perfect- I actually liked all the steps and the cabanas were comfy- I felt so spoiled lying there with a rum punch. You must kayak once and take the snorkeling excursion! The land and sea tour is a good overview of Soufriere and Christian is a superb guide. I would also recommend stopping at a grocery store on the way in and getting some lunch fixings as the beach bar bills would later make me cringe. The food was really good( the burger, fish sandwich, roti were so yummy) I knew food was going to be expensive I just wish we would've eaten in a few days. Only one incident disappointed me and it was when we arrived at the airport. We had paid for airport transfers and we're told that we would be met by the driver in a TiKaye shirt with a clipboard with our info on it. We were told not to fall for the taxi men who would try to get us to go with them. When we got out to where the cars are there was no driver and a few guys insisted that he had left and we should go with them and the resort would pay them for us. We went to the info desk and called TiKaye and a woman insisted the driver is there. We called back 2 other times until it got sorted out and when someone finally did come he did not have a shirt, logo or clipboard- nothing that identified him as being associated with Ti Kaye. I was actually a little nervous getting in the car with him but then felt more reassured we were with the right guy. It was just an unnerving way to start out but once we were there I was I bliss!! We would definitely return although I don't know when we could afford to!! Met some wonderful couples also there that I wish we could hang out with again!
Thanks Chris and Sarah and all of TiKaye!!
Erin and Francis

• Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank Newlywe

Hello Newlywe(ds)!

Thanks for posting your kind review. So glad you guys had such a great time, and thanks also for highlighting all the staff you did. I haven’t mentioned it for a while (I don’t think) but we do have an amazing team here. I apologize for the ‘nervous’ arrival because of the taxi guy mix-up. We do occasionally have to use outside drivers – but it still should have been a smoother process than you encountered. We constantly evaluate our prices and will do again for the gift shop toiletries. Was that double USA price, or double local price? All toiletries (and most of everything else) in Saint Lucia have to be imported, so they won’t be the same as price buying at Walmart. We’ll look into those prices anyway.

Great reading you enjoyed the outdoor showers (the porch!), the food, as well as our Land & Sea tour.

We usually have some kind of ‘special’ running so we might see you sooner than you think!

Reviewed 7 December 2013

My husband and I had an active vacation, and the stay here was the relaxing portion. Everything was wonderful. We upgraded to our own cottage with a plunge pool and outdoor shower. I highly recommend the upgrade; it was worth the extra expense. The beach was beautiful and relaxing. I did some snorkeling around the beach, and the scuba instructor was very helpful. The food was fresh and delicious, and the staff was very nice. I wish we had done the fish fry as I heard many good things about it, but we were lazy. We used the spa everyday, and also participated in the wine tasting.

Room Tip: The all-inclusive meals come with an appetizer, entree and dessert, but you have to pay for drinks...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelArg
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Hi TravelArg,

Thanks for your review (another one from a few months ago). Glad you had a 'wonderful and relaxing' stay with us (as I tell alot of guests, we do 'relaxing' very well)! We also have a great Front Office team as well as our own transportation / dive guys so if you need a little adventure whilst here - we can arrange that too!

Just a note for other reviewers, we offer all types of meal plan; room only, bed & breakfast, half board and full board (which you were on). The 'full board' is meals only and is not our 'All inclusive' plan, we have one of those as well that does include certain alcoholic (and non-alcoholic) drinks.

We look forward to seeing at the fish fry when you next return!

Reviewed 7 December 2013

My husband and I traveled to Ti Kaye last March and it was incredible. First, be prepared for a long travel day. We left Chicago at 5:30am and we made it to the resort around dinner time. The car ride from the airport to the resort is beautiful but very mountainous; if you get car sick, I recommend taking something.

We opted to get a cottage with a plunge pool - totally worth it! We woke up every morning, made french press coffee and enjoyed the view: sail boats cruising into the bay, friendly birds and often a rainbow or two. If you aren't interested in be secluded, this may not be the place for you. We ate all but one lunch and one dinner at the hotel. We took the Land and Sea tour - do it! Request to got to the mud baths after the volcano tour. Such an experience! Also, do the fish fry in Ansa La Ray. Really fun. I spent a lot of time on the beach reading, drinking cocktails and napping.

The locals are very friendly and we would buy fresh coconuts and fruit from them. My husband played soccer on the beach and in general, it was a great glimpse into the culture. The spa is really nice - we had a couples massage and I had a facial. DO THE WINE TASTING! This was one of the best parts!! We also loved that we could fill out a form and have our mini fridge stocked with whatever we wanted. So great!

All in all, this was a very memorable trip - relaxing, romantic and just what we needed. It definitely wasn't a budget trip, but we don't regret spending the money one bit!

Suggestions: This is not a good place for kids. If you aren't prepared to walk up and down a lot of stairs - this isn't the place for you. If you want group organized activities every single moment and loud, drunk people - this isn't the place for you.

Room Tip: Splurge on the plunge pool! Note: it was NOT heated.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Colleen B,

Very happy to know you're still thinking of Ti Kaye 8 months after your stay and really appreciate you writing your review after such a length of time. It seems as though you still have alot of good memories which is fantastic.

Not alot else to say actually and you summerized everything very well.Only thing is you say "this is not a good place for kids", we're actually not a kids resort and do not accept chldren under 12 (which is maybe why you thought it was 'paradise' as it is very peaceful here).

Reviewed 6 December 2013

As with many other couples, we were in Ti Kaye for our honeymoon. It was a fantastic choice by my husband and surpassed our expectations.

Accommodation: we booked one of the rooms with plunge pool, these are definitely worth it for couples looking for privacy as they are a little more secluded. Our room, Innosan, had a lovely garden feel surrounded by fruit trees and flowers. We even saw hummingbirds next to the deck. Cheeky bullfinches visited daily, I would advise people not to feed them because they really don't need any further encouragement! The garden shower had a great ocean view and was one of my favourite things about the place. Although it was unheated we used the plunge pool every day, it was a great way to cool down. The bed was huge and comfortable, as was the hammock outside on the deck. The cleaners kept the place spotless and replenished the filtered water in our fridge daily - we didn't buy bottled water the whole time there.

Food: we had mixed experiences. Dinner was fine, plenty of options and only rarely did we have disappointing dishes (nothing awful, just nothing special). There wasn't anything that really stood out though. Portion sizes were fine. In hindsight, we wouldn't have done the half-board plan as we didn't really need 3 courses every day. Starters were often more interesting than the mains, and desserts were a weak point - I would have thought there'd be more use of the wonderful fruit available on the island. The Wednesday buffet was OK - interesting selection but much of the meat and fish was overdone. Lunch was very hit-and-miss. On our first day, we were served at the sunbeds on the beach and it was wonderful, but going to the beach cafe later we found the portions were smaller and the quality worse. On our last day we had lunch in the main restaurant and it was much better. Breakfast started to get boring quite fast, the hot options are mainly egg- or batter-based.

Activities: as with many other reviewers, we thought the wine tasting was amazing. I found it hard to drag my wine buff husband away at the end of the evening as he and Cleus were deep in discussion! The Land and Sea Tour is definitely worth it, and Christian is a very good guide. We didn't bother taking swimwear and didn't really feel like we missed out when we saw the waterfall. The one disappointment we had was the Rainforest Hike, it's run by an outside contractor and was not worth the money, being a very rushed walk down steps to a waterfall and back up again with a disinterested guide. But we lodged a complaint when we returned, so perhaps it will change. We booked our own trip through the resort - the Hotel Chocolat Tour, which we highly recommend. It's very detailed and hands-on, one of the best tours I've ever done.

Beach: yes, there's steps down... but they don't exactly make that a secret on their website, and it really wasn't so bad. The "beach dudes" are friendly and attentive. The vendors are no problem at all, if you're not interested they will leave you be - or if you just want to chat, they're happy to oblige. My husband enjoyed the snorkelling, except when the Sandals boats came to dump loads of people in the water, but that's to be expected at a place like this.

Transport: the dreaded bumpy road going to the resort was not anywhere near as bad as we thought it would be, reading some of the reviews! It does also help to keep the resort and beach more secluded and private. Our airport transfer to the resort was done by Christian, who gave us a great introduction to St Lucia.

Our stay was exactly what we needed, relaxing and tranquil. Lovely place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peta C

Hi DisplacedWelshie (great name)!

We appreciate you taking the time to write your very detailed review, and of course are delighted that you found your 'Idyllic honeymoon destination'. (As we are (and have been for a long time) #1 on Tripadvisor for romance in Saint Lucia I think we're a great fit for honeymooners)! Thanks also for mentioning there's no need to buy bottled water, something I may have been trying to get across to all guests in previous replies :-) (If you bring a sports bottle with you we'll happily refill that if your going out on trips and tours).

I'll be discussing your comments on your dining experiences with the F&B team as this a couple of irregularities that shouldn't happen have come up a couple of times now so it's obviously something we need to address urgently. With regards to lunch at the beach, we 'just' changed the beach menu (I think the day you left) and everybody thinks it's fantastic - and hopefully if you return you will too. Breakfast we are looking and will be changing that up in the next week or so, as again, we've had a few comments so it's something we need to (and are) addressing.

Happy to read that overall you enjoyed the activities. I have discussed the rainforest hike with the Front Office Manager and will be evaluating that. We might even try and incorporate the chocolate tour based on your recommendations - it's just an early start!

Thanks again for your review, we look forward to seeing you next time you need a relaxing and tranquil vacation.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Our stay at Ti Kaye was very relaxing and magical, my (adult) children (3) and I wanted to get away for Thanksgiving and chose Ti kaye since it seemed quaint and idyllic! We were thrilled when we got there since it was exactly what we "needed"... the resort is located on the slopes of a hill/cliffs that ends on the beach... the beach is private nestled in a curve between slopes...clear blue water and rocks... great snorkelling. The cottage that we stayed at was charming with a lovely verandah with a hammock. Food was reasonable and we felt that the menu was "limited". Service was excellent except during lunch at the main restaurant. The outdoor bathrooms are charming, except that it was tricky to turn on the shower and regulate the water since the taps would not "lock".....
We did NOT opt for the "all meal inclusive " plan and just opted for Bfast which was very wise and much more economical! We felt that the tours and activities were a bit pricey , the spa is divine but expensive!
overall amazing experience!
By the way- the diving was great!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank LOVELYJADE

Hello 'Lovelyjade'!

Thanks for your review. Great to know you and your family found 'paradise' and you all enjoyed snorkeling and diving. Thanks for your feedback on lunch service at Kai Manje (I'll pass that onto the F&B Team) and I'll have maintanance look at teh taps for the shower to make sure nothing is wrong as we've not had that come up before. As I mentioned in my last reply the tours & activites we offer can be a bit more expensive as we make sure we use licensed and insured tour operators / guides etc. Our tours sometimes include lunch as well which is something to keep in mind when 'costing' other options.

We look forward to meeting you again next time your family have a re-union.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Anse Cochon
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
Stonefield Estate Resort
Stonefield Estate Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!