“We'll be back”

New York City, New York
“We'll be back”
Reviewed 14 January 2005

TI KAYE:
My husband and I spent a week at TiKaye Village (Dec 30-Jan 6). We can’t stop raving about it.

I was skeptical about staying at a resort as isolated as Ti Kaye, since we normally are fairly adventurous in our travels- we arrange our own activities, use public transportation, eat at local restaurants, etc. However, I was soon converted to the Ti Kaye lifestyle: pure rest and relaxation. We took our time and did what we wanted when we felt like it. No rushing to make a train or bus, no hurrying to get to a distant restaurant for dinner, no partying all night at the clubs.

We did decide to take a couple of day trips, and the Ti Kaye staff arranged those with ease. The beach offered many opportunities for exercise: ocean kayaks (on the calm water), snorkeling, swimming (the water temperature was perfect!), etc.

Costs:
We travel each year during that same week and found TiKaye's (and St. Lucia's) costs to be quite reasonable compared to other places at that time of year.

Staff:
We’ve been around the U.S. and around the world and this is the first time we’ve encountered a staff that remembered our names from day one. I miss them already!

Food:
The complementary breakfasts are huge and quite good. There is a continental buffet and, in addition, you get to order your choice of a complete hot breakfast.

We skipped lunches often (due to the big breakfasts), but both of Ti Kaye’s restaurants offered many lunch choices. When we were out and about, we stopped and had lunch at local places, which I would also recommend.

Dinners at Ti Kaye were an event: we dressed up (meaning sundresses and sandals for me), went through various courses, chatted with the staff and other guests about our day, etc. We did not get a meal plan and found overall that we had spent only about $25 per person at each dinner (excluding alcohol). We’re not huge eaters and we shared appetizers and/or desserts.

THE ISLAND:
Fabulous! Its volcanoes and undeveloped land give it an appearance similar to islands in the South Pacific.

People:
We LOVED the St. Lucian people. Ti Kaye’s staff was so friendly, we could hardly believe it. Then we toured around the island and found that this friendliness seemed to be a trademark of all the St. Lucian people! On more than one occasion, strangers came to my aid, expecting nothing in return.
A young man we met in Soufrier encouraged us to tell more Americans about St. Lucia and stated that he “loves Americans.” Others agreed with that sentiment. In all of our travels to other countries, I don’t believe we’ve ever heard those words. That attitude is what really put our St. Lucian vacation over the top. It is rare that we are interested in returning to a destination (there are so many places to visit in this world!) but, as I promised everyone at Ti Kaye: “We will be back!”

4 Thank PGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 10 January 2005

My Husband and I stayed at Ti Kaye from December 26, 2004 - January 3, 2005. Even though, Ti Kaye is nice place to stay,the staff and "extended" staff made it a beautiful place to stay. It's hard not to comment on all the great people we met, however there are 3 gentleman that made our visit to St. Lucia great. 1st: Cleus - he works in the restaurant spliting his time between bartending and waitering. He by far makes the best cocktails at the resort and he's a great guy to talk to. We had some great laughs and he really made our visit great. 2nd: Jonty - he captains the Arawak water taxi. He's a really nice guy and pure gentleman. He has some really great stories to share and really knows the ins and outs of life on St. Lucia. 3rd: Noel - he provides taxi/shuttle service for the resort. He truly completed our trip to St. Lucia. We rode with Noel for trips from Marigot Bay, to Anse La Raye and to Rodney Bay. Our impromptu 1/2 day trip with him from Ti Kaye to Rodney Bay was the best.We had some great food at a local spot in Rodney Bay called Triangle Pub and had some really great laughs. He showed us a lot of interesting "touristy" sites but he also showed us some really great "local" sites that were really great. Many thanks to Noel for treating us like family ;) In all, our trip to Ti Kaye and St. Lucia was incredible and we really appreciate all that the staff did to make our visit great.

4 Thank GeminisOnTheGo
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 January 2005

We honeymooned at Ti Kaye Village from October 17 - 24. It was more romantic than we could ever have dreamed of. From the food to the views to the people to the cottages to the other guests, there are nothing but good things to say.

We stayed in Mele cottage, at the far end of the resort. We paid for oceanfront an oeanfront cottage, and they surprised us with a plunge pool at no extra cost! The room was clean, no frills. We really enjoyed showering in the outdoor shower complete with our own gekko. The view from the cottage is spectacular

We also had the "honeymoon package," and found it well worth the cost. The excursions we ventured out on were the horseback riding, the land-sea tour (which included a trip to Soufriere, the botanical gardens, the volcano, Ladera for lunch, and the hot springs to soak), the sunset cruise and the Friday fish festival. They were all worth it, especially the land-sea tour. We also had the massages for two...definitely recommended!

The food was fantastic, every night something different and amazing. Breakfasts and lunch were just as good. We bought the gros meal packages, I think it saved us quite a bit of money.

The beach is great, you get a chance to know the rasta-men selling goods. The snorkeling is good, but not great. There are too many boats from the other resorts that come into the cove. One word of caution, there are numerous stairs down to the beach...proceed with caution!

The people of Ti Kaye are the best. They knew our names, were exceptionally helpful and friendly. They make an effort to get to know the guests and will take care of whatever you need.

If you're looking for amenities, this is not the place. If you're looking for great service, great food, amazing views in a very laid-back atmosphere, this is the place for you.

We will definitely be returning to Ti Kaye Village in the future for our anniversary.

Thank you to everyone at Ti Kaye, we think of you often.

9 Thank pkrull
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 January 2005

My wife an I recently returned from Ti Kaye/St. Lucia. We stayed at Ti Kaye for 7 days from Dec 20th to the 27th, and, I personally, could not imagine a better vacation.
When my wife and I arrived at the resort, they escorted us into the bar area and got us a drink (A wonderful gesture after a long day of traveling) while the taxi driver took our luggage to our room. We were quite hungry so they seated us for dinner right away. Every night the reseraunt has several choices for dinner, all the meals my wife and I ate there were fantastic. We had not planned on eating at the resort every night, but the food was so good, we ended up eating there all but one evening. When we got to our room/cottage, it was exquisite, the bed even had flower petals spread across it. We loved the outdoor shower with all of the tropical plants in it. As for bugs, we had heard that there would be lots of them, we brought bug repellent, but never need to use it, even when we relaxed in our hammock on the deck after sundown.
We did spend a lot of time at the beach. Some other review complained of not having any beach chairs and of the beach being crowded, but that was not our experience. We always had beach chairs to lounge in, most of the time we even had an extra one to put our beach bag, and snorkel equipment on. There were many boats that came in to the cove, but we never experienced crowding. I went snorkling virtually every day, and still could not get enough of it. The reefs, sponges, coral, and fish were breath taking. The Beach bar and grill was very good for lunches, the chicken wings with spicy jerk sauce was my favorite.
We also went on several excursions. We went whale watching on day, seeing flying fish, dolphins, and a pod of pilot whales. While on the whale watching trip our group stopped to eat at a reseraunt that had a fantastic view of the Pitons. We also toured the Botanical Gardens, the volcano and relxed in natural hot baths one outing. On this outing we ate at the Ladero's resteraunt which was also very good. The view from this resteraunt is also increadible! The last excursion we went on was a shopping trip to the capital. I expected the vendors to be a bit more pushy, but we had a very plesent experience and picked up souviners and Christmas gifts for family back home.
The staff at Ti Kaye we excellent as well. Most of the servers knew your names right away and would greet you with your first name, making you feel at home. The other guest were also very freindly adding to the pleasent nature of the resort. On our last night at Ti Kaye there was a full moon party, a buffet was served at the beach bar with local music and a large bonfire on the beach, complete with marshmallow to roast. Overall, I could not imagine a more perfect honeymoon. I would recomend Ti Kaye village with no hesitation at all.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Westwood, NJ
Reviewed 31 December 2004

We just got back from our honeymoon at Ti Kaye last night and we can't stop talking about it. St. Lucia is very lush, moutainous and beautiful. As someone remarked in our group the scenery "is very dramatic". I have read some reviews that complain about the roads and the secludedness of the hotel. But that is St. Lucia for you, everything is far apart and secluded. Basically, it is an underdeveloped rain forest. That is the appeal of the island for some people - like us - perfect for a quite, relaxing time.

We past many hotels while traveling the island and I can't say that any were nicer then Ti Kaye. Secluded, private cottages where a nice change of pace for 2 overworked adults. The cottages were great! It was amazing having our own space with our own patio, hammack and tropical outdoor shower.

The restaurant has no walls and looks out onto the beauitful saphire ocean. The menu changes daily so there was never a need to eat anywhere else. They offer many activaties where you can stop and have lunch at local restaurants but we had some of our best meals at Ti Kaye. Not to mention the staff was great! As always, you can take a taxi or rent a jeep to visit other restaurants but nothing is close - (once again that is St. Lucia for you)

We went during a busy time of the season - Christmas week. The beach at the hotel is one of the nicest on the island so many tour boats come to visit - letting people off to swim. They were only there for about 1-2 hours each day and it never bothered us. The boats are not that big plus you stop and realize you are lucky to have this beach at your door step - well, you have to walk 165 steps to get there but it's not bad. We actually liked it... we didn't feel guilty sitting around because it was good exercise.

There is not much of a night life at Ti Kaye. The bar closes around 10pm. We didn't even care. We are young and love to party with the best of them and this did not bother us one bit. We didn't over drink and it was great for our honeymoon. We loved just hanging out together and going to bed early. It was what a vacation should be.

If you are are looking for a touristy, developed and wealthy place to party this is not the place for you. We were awake by 8am and asleep by 10:00pm. We explored the island, saw a volcano, sulphur springs, botanical gardens, swam in a waterfall, horseback rode on the beach and swam with our horses, shopped at the duty free shops, saw a bat cave, snorkeled, had a side by side massage in our cottage, hung out with the lizards, frogs and birds, layed out on the beach, took naps, ate great food, partyed at the friday night fish fry and drank delicious drinks. If this isn't what you are looking for I wouldn't go to Ti Kaye - nor would I go to St. Lucia. But who wouldn't want any of that?

• Stayed December 2004
13 Thank Aleahy26
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 December 2004

Just got back from 6 days at this place, and it was one of the nicest I've been too. If you like night-life, lots of people, TV, phone, internet access and a newspaper waiting for you each day this is NOT the place for you! It is the perfect place to disconnect from the world and relax. If you want action, go to Sandals or any of the other cookie-cutter resorts. Ti Kaye is small and unique - to us it was truly paradise.
Each cottage is just beautiful, with a hammock on the porch and views of the ocean. And the shower! The showers are open air, with plants and trees growing in them. The beach is black sand with a nice coral reef to snorkle around. If you have a problem with the steps you can catch a ride down in one of their vehicles.
The food was wonderful - from the sandwiches at the beachfront restaurant for lunch to the creative dinners served in the open air dining room each night. I am a vegan, and chef Paul and his staff created a wonderful dish for me every evening. I am sorry that the previous reviewer who didn't eat meat didn't inform the kitchen - they went out of their way to prepare me something amazing at every meal and I don't think I have ever eaten so well on a vacation before. I had mentioned my dietary restrictions when I made the reservations three months prior, and expected to have to ask again when I arrived. The first night at dinner when it came time to take my order the waitress just said that they had something special for me - I couldn't believe that they had remembered, and I couldn't believe that they knew it was me and not another in our party who was vegan. The individual attention at Ti Kaye is phenomenal.
There are lots of day-trips that the staff will gladly arrange for you, a water taxi will come into the beach and pick you up/drop you off. It seems like there were a lot of interesting things to go do, but we ended up spending every day on the beach at Ti Kaye - it was just so beautiful. Yes, the cruise boats came up (and like another reviewer we found watching them amusing ) but even during the time we were there we started to notice less of them and that they were not coming up onto the beach, so I think that the steps being taken toward limiting them are already working. Gero, the man in charge of the beach, was amazing and in ten spots at once - moving umbrellas to make certain we had the shade we needed, cleaning rocks and debris off the beach, doing everything to make it as comfortable as it could be. We experienced none of the disarray on the beach a previous reviewer had.
The best part about this place is the people - the staff was just incredible. Everyone takes the time to get to know your name, the service was always wonderful, it was just a pleasure to be there.
I think it is a matter of what a vacation is to you. Ti Kaye is a true escape. We experience loud music, loud people, tvs, radio and the high energy level of a major city every day in our daily life. When we go away, we want just the opposite. Rather than being bored at Ti Kaye, we never even found the time to take a day trip (time gets away from you when you are staring at the ocean sipping juice from a coconut). We were there for 5 nights, and it wasn't enough - we are already hoping to return in a few months for an extened trip. I fell so in love with this place that I will return many, many times.
The only warning I have is if you are flying from the states DO NOT go throught Puerto Rico. Do what you can to fly direct from Miami or anywhere else. We ended up losing a day of vacation because we missed our connecting flight in PR. The airport was horrible in both directions with flights being delayed and cancelled, and we were told that 90% of luggage checked in that passes through PR does not arrive at the final destination in a timely manner.

• Stayed December 2004
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 28 December 2004

My husband and I stayed at Ti Kay for 3 nights earlier this month. We had come there after staying 5 nights at Sandals Halcyon. We wanted to experience a bigger more active resort, and then try a place that was more quiet. Well, Ti Kaye is about as quiet as you can get!

I realize that is what some people are looking for, and I'm all for peace and quiet myself. But as a previous review stated, after dinner there is NOTHING. No live music, or even recorded music for that matter. We weren't looking for some crazy dance band but something would have been nice to sit and listen to after dinner. There was nothing to do but go back to the room, and at night the bugs are so bad you don't even want to sit outside on the porch.

Also, I am a very picky eater...I don't expect restaurants to always cater to picky people like myself, but I don't eat red meat or like seafood and therefore was pretty much resigned to eating bread two of the nights for dinner. There are only 3 choices for dinner each night. A little more variety would have been nice...even a chicken sandwich or something. There is nowhere to get snacks or anything after dinner, or really anytime for that matter. There is the Beach Grill, which was great, but you couldn't just get a bag of chips or something to munch on. You could, however, fill out a sheet in your room for candy and such to be delivered to your room the next day, which was nice. I really enjoyed my KitKat, as it cost me $2!

The beach is SMALL. That was fine with us...a beach is a beach. Vendors really were very respectful and polite. We saw quite a few boats from Sandals pull up but never stayed long and people weren't annoying. There were a lot of private boats that pulled up though, and those people would come right up on the beach and use the chairs, even though there were signs saying the chairs were for resort guests only. I found that annoying.

The room was great. We got a free upgrade to a private cabin with plunge pool. The view was spectacular and the room was very clean and well-maintained. LOVED the shower. If you are squeamish about bugs do not stay here. A few of them made it into our bed. This is to be expected....Ti Kaye is in the jungle.

So basically you better really want peace, quiet and seclusion because you will get it tenfold. I could not imagine staying here for a week....even doing the excursions I would still get bored I think. I was so ready to leave after the three nights. Like I said, I'm all for relaxation but sitting around doing literally nothing, waiting for the hours to go by so we could go to bed was a little too much. All I suggest is having some sort of entertainment or activity in the evening.

Beautiful place, nice staff, enjoyed my stay but was ready to go by the end.

9 Thank mksonnenberg
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!