“Wonderful honeymoon at Ti Kaye!”

Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 14 May 2005

My husband and I stayed at Ti Kaye 4/25-5/5. We chose Ti Kaye carefully after spending a lot of time researching different resorts on the island. We knew we did not want to stay in a commercialized section of the island and wanted to stay away from feeling like we were still in the States. After reading reviews here, Ti Kaye sounded like everything that we were looking for - beauty, seclusion, and romance. I can honestly say that Ti Kaye was everything we wanted and more!

As so many other people have stated, the rooms are fabulous (we were in Hadi which is an oceanfront cottage with a great view) and the outdoor shower was really cool. There's nothing like showering under the stars! I was a little iffy on the thought of lots of bugs or lizards and frogs in the room. We had no problems with bugs and the lizard who lived in our cottage was very small and kept to himself. The A/C does work well if you choose to use it, the rooms are clean and the netting is definitely a romantic touch.

Food and service were also great. We miss the smiles of every single person on staff! Pilgrim and Cleus - great drinks, thank you!

We participated in several activities (snorkeling at the Pitons, horseback riding, day trip to Soufriere, in-room massage, sunset cruise) and all were very nice - especially the sunset cruise with the couple from Lanmou (I'll be emailing soon you guys!)

The only negative for me personally was knowing that if I went to the beach I would be approached by the local vendors even though we had already purchased several things. The local people are nice and saying 'no' definitely works, I just didn't want to be approached anymore. But that's a personal feeling and may not be bothersome to everyone. My husband, for example, enjoyed negotiating for his conch shells and necklaces! We were not bothered at all by the resort boats coming in as they were not loud or disruptive, in our opinion.

We really believe that Ti Kaye is absolutely the best resort for your money in St. Lucia and it would certainly be our choice of resort if we ever return to the island. Definitely stay at Ti Kaye- it is well worth it!

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,551)

Reviewed 12 May 2005

My new wife and I spent the week of 4/18-4/25 honeymoon'n at Ti Kaye. I will say that for the most part the reviews are right on. We have been fortunate enough to travel to several other locations in the Caribbean and have become a little picky but here is what we felt where the pro's and con's to Ti Kaye:
Pro's:
The staff. They were genuinely very friendly and helpfull. They tried to get to know every guest and it showed.

The food. The restaurant had a limited menu but just about every dish was fabulous. I savored every dinner and looked forward to the next.

The room. They were simple but adequite. We loved the outdoor shower and took several every day. One of the most enjoyable parts of the trip was enjoying a Piton Ale while showering under the setting sun.

Piton Ale. If your a beer drinker you will surely enjoy this very quaffable ale. It just goes so well with the wonderful environment.

The Island. The people all all very genuinly friendly and it is just a beautiful place.

Cost. The cost of the lodging and the meals was very reasonable. We would highly recommend the meal plan of 5 dinners and 3 lunches because the place is so remote that you ARE going to eat most of your meals there and this plan is well worth it. It almost makes the food an all inclusive type of deal.

The Con's
The Beach. I understand that this may be getting a bit picky but the fact that the tour boats from the cruise ships use this lovely secluded beach as one of their favorite stops to bring their hoards of tourist's puts a BIG damper on the lovely tranquilty of Ti Kaye. It not only disrupt's the peace and quiet of the beach but it bring's out the local vendor's who, while polite are still what we would consider a nuisance. I don't need a 'shake down' every time I go to the beach for some peace and quiet. The snorkeling was average from our experience. Also, the black sand made the beach extremely hot and the clarity of the water was not great.

Getting there. The 1.5-2.0 hour taxi/roller coaster ride to Ti Kaye after a long flight was tolerable but not desirable. If you get car sickness pop a few pills before that ride.

The restaurant furniture. The meals were so delicious and romantic and lasted 1-2 hours on average but the table and chairs were so uncomfortable that we had a hard time enjoying them. I am 6' 3" and my legs would not fit under the table. After an hour sitting on those God awful wicker chairs I longed for a decent chair to soothe my aching bottom. I do believe they feel the same because before we left the barstools which were some sort of wicker torture stool had been replaced by a nice stool that actually had a padded back. So, hopefully the tables and chairs in the restaurant will be next.
The coffee. I am some what addicted to a good cup of coffee and Ti Kaye did not deliver in this area. The coffee in the room was nasty and the coffee in the restaurant was just as bad. I'm not sure what the reason was behind this but I think it had something to do with the water.
It seemed fine to drink but it just didn't make a good cup of Joe.

The service. I know I'm an American that is used to everything going full throtle but the service at times was inconsistent. The first night we got there we were so tired we just wanted to eat and go to sleep but the server did not recognize this and dragged the whole dinner out 2 hours. There were also other times where we were like when is the server going to check back so I can get another beer or more water or ..... They use the type of service where there is an order taker, a beverage server, a food server, table clearer...so, it is not clear who to ask fo something when you need something and I guess my point is you shouldn't have to ask.

Would we go back? Yes. I doubt we ever will but it has nothing to do ith Ti Kaye and the wonderful staff there but more to do with all the places that we we would love to go see.
Would I go if I were you? Yes. Ti Kaye is a great place with a great staff so go check it out.

18  Thank Dwyer
Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
Reviewed 11 May 2005

This was the *perfect* resort for the first 4 days of our honeymoon, and although the staff was excellent and we loved our room (spend the extra and get the plunging pool), we were ready to move on for more excitement by the end. We did need the rest, however, and it was very romantic.

Note that the beach stairs you've been reading about in other reviews are only a problem if you haven't exercised in a while. I'm hardly "fit" but was never out of breath and never hesitated to run up for something (espcially lunch). If you can't do 5 minutes on a Stairmaster, you should probably think twice about another resort - Ti Kaye is a little hilly.

As somebody else mentioned, it's not a diver's paradise either, but you can snorkel in the cove. In fact, the Sandals boats drop their snorklers here twice a day, right off Ti Kaye's beach. Talk to the staff down at the dive shop first about the currents - one day it was fairly strong out along the far points, though the cove itself was fine. Snorkel both sides of the cove! We brought our own mask, snorkel and fins... I don't know if they provide them for free, but they have a fully equipped dive shop right there on the beach.

Everything was very clean. Our bungalow had an outdoor shower with a plunging pool and it was worth it! All are fairly private and the views are very nice. There are no screens in the windows (hurricane shutters only), but the air conditioning was more than adequate. We were there before the rainy season and the bug season, however, so bring some DEET spray just in case. The beds have mosquito netting.

Food was above average with some local specialties. The bar poured liberal drinks; better than we found anyplace else. The beach bar has "beach bar" food, and I loved the jerked wings down there with a Peton, the local beer. We remember the staff, however, because they quickly become good friends.

It's expensive to go off property... a cab can run as much as $70 one way to the Petons depending on when you come or go. We took a non-resort water taxi (a 16' fishing boat, with dead fish still on the deck) for $60 us.

There's not much to do "in town" around Ti Kaye. The little fishing boat took us to the Hilton between the Pitons where we attended "Bang." Trust me, you do NOT need to go to Bang... the show is so-so and the food is very average overall for $40 each. The Friday fish fry in Anse La Ray was very small. Again, we would have done better staying on the resort and enjoying one another!

Skip the pool... you want to be on the beach. They have trouble keeping it clear because it is shallow and the sun is warm. Besides, the only people who hung out at the pool were either too out of shape or too infirm to use the stairs... they wasted half their money by missing the beach. Again, the stairs are not bad if you can do 5 minutes on a Stairmaster without getting sick.

One more thing - there is a small group of long-established beach vendors who can set you up with everything from trinkets to, well, you'd be surprised... they are not theives, I was assured, but they will pester you if you don't ask them to leave you alone. I'd suggest you spend some time with them before dismissing them - they're colorful locals. I didn't find their prices to be very good, so bargain HARD and don't apologize for it. You may counter at about 1/3rd they begin at. The beach staff will even tell you if the price is right.

I'd recommend this resort to honeymooners or folks looking for an escape. Make sure you can do 5 minutes on a Stairmaster. By the 4th day we were ready to move on, because it is very quiet and private.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed 11 May 2005

My wife and I decided to go to Ti Kaye for our honeymoon last month, in a large part based upon what we read here on Trip Advisor. We were a little skeptical going down there, because we didn’t think any place could be as nice as people said Ti Kaye would be, however, we definitely were not disappointed! It was everything we hoped for and more. The low point of our trip was the transportation into and out of Saint Lucia (we would NOT recommend Caribbean Star by the way). After a 12+ hour day of traveling and layovers on the way down there, we were just about ready to collapse when we got to Ti Kaye. The reception we got at the resort was exactly what we needed. Giselle met us at the cab and introduced herself, told us to leave all our bags and head to the bar, and that the first drink was on the house. We were just in time for dinner, and they gave us a table on the patio. Our wait staff was Cleus and Merlinda, who are both so nice and friendly. They were really some of our favorite people on the staff (which is saying something with as great as the staff is). What a great first impression of Saint Lucia! After dinner, Giselle took us to our cottage (we had Gwiyen), where our bags were waiting, and gave us a tour. It was so perfect, complete with flower petals strewn across the bed.

Our room was an ocean front cottage with a plunge pool. We met some people there who had a shared room with an ocean view, and while they didn’t have any complaints, for my money you can’t beat the ocean front cottage. There is nothing like waking up to the Caribbean Sea at your feet! The plunge pool was also great. We would usually get back from the beach (or excursion) and make some rum punch drinks and just relax in our pool. It was secluded and had a great view. It really enhanced every afternoon. As an aside, we had a layover in Barbados, so we got a couple bottles of local rum in the airport and just asked for fruit juice in our mini-fridge. It made it nice to be able to make our own drinks when we wanted them.

We had the adventurous honeymoon package, so we did about as many activities as anyone we talked to. We did the land-sea trip to Sourfriere (sulfur springs, swimming in a waterfall, and botanical gardens), the Gros Piton Hike, went whale watching, got a massage, and did the sunset cruise. We really would recommend all of those. But if you are considering doing the Piton Hike, beware, we found it to be very strenuous (although, DEFINITELY very rewarding and worth every step). We had the massage that night, so that helped a little too . After the hike we were invited to have lunch at the village off the side of the mountain. It was a fabulous traditional St. Lucian lunch. We really enjoyed getting a taste of their typical lifestyle, and the view was spectacular. There was a mix-up with the water taxi on the way back from the hike, which was the fault of the taxi company NOT Ti Kaye, but the resort still gave us a discount on the hike. We were really impressed with how they handled someone else’s mistake. As everyone else has said the land-sea trip was great. The whale watching was also really fun. We saw tons of dolphins (of several types), and a bunch of pilot whales. We did the sunset cruise our last night on the island, it was such a wonderful way to end a week in paradise. Some reviews have been negative because they missed out on things in their packages, but they tell you when you first check in that you need plan your itinerary on your first full day, so we didn’t find that to be a problem. We would also recommend going to the seafood festival on Friday night. It was really neat, and a really fun atmosphere. We ended up eating at Verna’s booth, and really enjoyed the fish cakes.

Although the seafood festival was fun, and great food, we couldn’t have been more pleased with the food at Ti Kaye. It was a little pricey for dinner, but not unreasonable. We decided to do the meal plan, so after we resolved to paying for our meal tickets, it was fun to be able to order whatever we wanted every night (3 courses for each of us). The food was so flavorful and well presented. The lunches were very good too. We had a lot of fun sitting down at the beach bar, just relaxing, taking in the view, and enjoying lunch and a tropical drink (mango daiquiris and blue heaven were my wife’s favorite, but I was partial to the Piton beer). We had lunch at Ladera the day we had our land-sea trip, and while the view was amazing, it made us so grateful to be able to come back and have dinner at Ti Kaye.

Saint Lucia is such an amazing country, with such amazing people. Amongst the people we met there (at the resort and outside of it), there was an overwhelming sense of friendliness. It was great that all the resort staff did everything they could do to cater to our needs, but I think the most remarkable thing was that they all really seemed to enjoy their work. The same was true for people outside the resort. From tour guides to taxi drivers, almost everyone really seemed to love what they were doing.

We probably couldn’t really come up with any criticisms of Ti Kaye if we tried, but here are a couple things that are worth keeping in mind when planning your trip. The ‘airport transfer’ that was included with our package was actually a cab that was chartered by the resort. I mention this because we were expecting a van or something with Ti Kaye painted on the side waiting for us, and were a little surprised when a taxi driver said he was the transfer. But as with everyone else, he was very nice, and we had nothing to worry about, it was all taken care of. We also brought our own snorkel equipment, which if you are able to do, might be a good idea. It was nice not to have to worry about renting it or anything. We packed a bit on the light side though, but remember to bring nicer clothes for dinner (i.e. no shorts, no tank tops for guys etc). Ti Kaye also provides beach towels so you don’t have to bring your own.

This trip was really just an amazing week in paradise, you won’t be disappointed! While you are on the island you will be proud to say you are staying at Ti Kaye.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2005

My husband and I just returned from our week-long honeymoon at Ti Kaye. Everything about the resort was amazing. There isn't much I can say that has not already been written. We stayed in cottage M, or Mele, which had one of the best views and was one of the most private (perfect for honeymooners). By far, the best thing about the resort is the staff. There is no other resort that gives the personalized attention than that received here. Often we felt as if there were more staff on duty than guests. In addition, the food is amazing. The choices were good for all 3 meals. Pricing for food, drinks, & gift shop items was fair... not nearly as marked-up as in other resorts, especially ones as remote as Ti Kaye. The only thing I did not care for was the day shopping excursion to Castries... the trip was too long and I was ready to return to Ti Kaye. You can buy gifts at the shop at Ti Kaye or at the seafood party on Friday nights. We are definitely planning to return to Ti Kaye. It truly is one-of-a-kind.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 May 2005

My Husband and I just returned from our 7 night stay (for our honeymoon) at Ti Kaye.

I can honestly say that it was more than we expected. We read the reviews and fully anticipated bug problems and the other criticisims that are listed in other posts.

We made sure we had bug spray (I never used it and got one bite the entire trip and that was from the beach) and took precautions by closing the windows and putting the net down on the bed before dinner.

The stairs were something after a long day of snorkling (and a couple of rum punches) but the hotel DOES offer a shuttle to the beach if needed.

Our cottage was lovely, perfect actually. I don't have anything to complain about. We had an ocean front cottage (no plunge pool) named Lanmou. If I had the opprotunity to go back this is the one I would want!

The food was very good. After 7 days though we were ready to try some other places.

We moved to Rodney Bay on our 8th & 9th days and it was apparent how spoiled we had been by Ti Kaye. Our wish to try some other food was an error (we ate at Spinnakers and it was TERRIBLE).

Ti Kaye was a great place to go to have a little social interaction but not too much like at a big resort. We met some other great couples there and I hope we stay in touch.

Dinners were always romantic....I would suggest skirts or dresses for the ladies and pants or nice shorts with a collared shirt for the men.

I hope we get to go back and I hope you enjoy!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 May 2005

I must apologize to the wonderful staff at Ti Kaye for taking so long to write this review, I had promised it some time ago!

My wife and I traveled with another couple the last week of January this year. My “old” dive buddy, my wife and I did a weeks worth of diving at the resort. Therefore, when I read the previous review I just had to get busy with this.

Firstly, the resort is just what there web site states. Nothing less than wonderful! We have stayed at “5 star” resorts and found ourselves just as well cared for at the Ti Kaye. The Ti Kaye by many brochure standards would be considered a 3 or 4 star resort, is in fact a 5 star resort when it comes to guest service and attention. Anyone that reads the pages of reviews here will have an accurate picture of the resort and its facilities and short comings. (Which are few).

I will not dwell on what has already been said by many before, the rooms – showers – grounds, beautiful. The food, as good or better than any Allegro – Riu Palace, we have ever been to.

Diving! The answer to the morning diving issue is NOT a single tank boat dive!!! Hell, I have never met divers that wanted a single morning dive. The solution as we discussed with Terroll is for the resort to open the restaurant earlier for the divers. 7:00 – 7:30 am with a decent breakfast. This would allow Terroll to get his divers on the boat by 8:30 – 9:00am, so that they could get back to the dock in time for lunch. Leaving direct for the dive boat after breakfast is something that as a diver I’ve been doing at every resort I’ve ever been to for over twenty years, this is not new.

The dive shop is as professional as 90% of the resorts I have been to. Service by all the staff from Terroll on down is second to none. Terroll and his staff are hand cuffed by the lack of an adequate dock, and larger boat. These issues I agree must be addressed. While the boat may be lacking by some standards, with a better dock it would do. I understand that a new boat is being built as we speak. I suppose there are those with weak stomachs that may have a problem with surge and breakfast, but that is what seasickness tablets are for.

As far as Terroll and anger management goes?? All I can add is that for the week we dove with them, Terroll was nothing but courteous – helpful – and a gentleman. Both my friend Clive and I extended invitations to him should he ever find himself in the Toronto area. That I have never done before!

On more of a what’s under the water note. Dive sites were good to very good. Unfortunately because of local fishing regulations that allow the locals to fish close to shore, (which they do in order to survive!), the reefs are devoid of large quantities of fish. There were no large fish to be found during our week’s stay. That being said, the reefs themselves were lovely, and macro photography a joy!

Again, read this site and you will find that there are 160 plus steps to the beach! If you cannot take them, do not go. A very simple concept. Snacks at the bar, yes that would be nice, again I knew about that before going. Due diligence!

I have to thank Giselle, Marina, Cheryl and Rina. We had a small mix up at check out due to my putting the deposit down for both couples. It could have been a small disaster since it was not found until we returned home. The office staff made sure it was corrected within two days. Many resorts would not have been so quick to resolve a problem with a guest that had already departed the island.

Simply, GO! You will love the island and Ti Kaye!

• Stayed: January 2005
Anse Chastanet
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!