Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
Charleston, SC
Reviewed 13 June 2005

My husband and I stayed with Ti Kaye two weeks ago for our honeymoon. Overall, we found Ti Kaye to be private, quiet, relaxing, and wonderful, just what we wanted for our honeymoon. Your cottage is very private, there are a few points on the porch where you can see other people's porches, but it's not obtrusive. We spent a majority of our time on the porch because it rained 3 out of the 6 days we were there. Be warned, it will rain every day in St. Lucia. Most days, its a quick 5 minute shower, and then its over. But during the rainy season, which started on our visit, it pours for days at a time. Locals told us it wasn't normal for it to rain that much this early, but boy, did it rain. The hammock was a wonderful place to read and cuddle and watch the ocean, definitely big enough for two. We played cards a lot in the rocking chairs on the porch as well. We also had the plunge pool- I loved it. It has 3 steps and then the rest slants down, its about 6 feet across and 4 ft deep at the end. It was refreshing to hang out in, and the views of the ocean were incredible.

The cottages were very nice. The beds have mosquito netting that will wrap all around to keep the bugs out while you sleep and to provide a nice romantic atmosphere. Thats about all that is in the room, besides a bedside table on either side of the bed and the mini fridge. There is a closet and the bathroom, both off of this room. The closet was nice to store all our luggage in, so it wasnt just laying in the floor. The bathroom had a toilet, sink and a mirror- and it led out into the famous garden shower. The shower was very nice- lots of plants, and it was fun to watch the sky while showering. We always had a few visitors- lizards and frogs, both inside and out. It is inevitable. You will have bugs and wildlife in your room. If that is not for you, do not stay here. However, they are harmless and it's an interesting and fun experience. Speaking of wildlife- the birds can get out of control. They will hound you for any scrap of food, and they love to eat off the tables at breakfast and lunch. My recommendation: don't let them. They will pester you to death.

Speaking of meals, it is a leisurely dining experience. There are three choices for appetizer, main course, and dessert for dinner. Plan to stay for at least an hour and a half. The food is worth it, and they often have live music (which can be a touch too loud for dinnertime conversation) but entertaining nonetheless. The staff is excellent, they knew us by name and gave us hugs when we left. It was fun to talk with them and share stories. Breakfast and lunch are one set menu every day. At breakfast, which is all free, you have a buffet with cereals, danishes, and lots of fruit and fruit juices, and you get to pick from one of 4 different styles of hot plates or omelets. Lunch is one set menu with a variety of choices. I would choose a meal plan to not have to worry about what you eat. I wanted to try a variety of things, so we both got an appetizer, main course, and dessert at each meal. No, we didnt eat all the food- it's hearty delicious portions, but it was nice to have tried many different things. Most of the food has a spicy carribean flare, but there is always one choice that is sans spice. It was all delicious. You MUST make reservations for dinner. Usually 8 is the best time to go, you seem to get served the fastest then. Dinner is the main event of the night, so enjoy it!!

We opted for the massage in the room, which I thorougly enjoyed but my husband did not. They come and set up the tables in your room, and you come in a towel and they work their magic. You are greasy and oily after, so plan to take a shower. We also took the trip to Soufreire, pronounced Soo-fray. We saw the Pitons, the volcano, and Diamond Waterfalls, as well as the botanical gardens. Don't forget to bring small bills to tip your tour guides and transportation- they work hard for it. Don't plan on shopping in Soufreire- selections are limited. I heard Castries is a wonderful place to shop, but we never made it there. We also signed up for the Sunset Cruise, but the night we planned to go, it was raining so hard there was no sunset. We opted to take a nap instead.

The beaches are silver sand, and boy can they get hot. When you have to stand on the sand, dig down to the black, moist sand and you can stand on that for a while. They have staff there to set up your chairs and umbrellas, which I definitely recommend. Not only is it blazing hot, so the umbrellas provide some relief from the heat, for the brief 5 minute downpours, they are nice to keep dry. The rain can be quite cold, and it blows in under the umbrella, so take it down off the stand and hold it as close to you as possible until the shower is over. Its worth it not to have to go back up the steps. Coming down isn't bad, but plan to stay the whole day. About half way back up, it hits you! The beach bar is wonderful, but slower than anything. It takes a LONG time to get your food, but it too is worth it not to have to go back up. They take meal vouchers if you opted for a meal plan.

If you got a package with the Fruit and Wine basket, get it early. It has many of the mini bar items in it, and it is nice to snack on and see what you like to order more. You can personalize the mini bar with drinks and food for very reasonable prices, and its nice to have a snack between lunch and dinner. You turn in a sheet at Breakfast with what you want and they bring it that afternoon and bill it to the room. Very nice. The roads are very long, narrow and winding, and people use their horns for everything. To say hello, to let people know youre coming, to let someone know you're passing them, to let someone know they are in your way- you honk your horn. Its not unusual to see goats napping in the road and horses and cows tied to a tree on the side of the street. Everything is green and lush and beautiful- I'm guessing it's from the rain!!

We had a wonderful time, and it was so relaxing and peaceful. We returned home rested. it was worth the long travel it took to get there, and we would recommend it to anyone. Just beware of the rainy season- if you go then and are expecting sunshine, you will be dissapointed!! :-D

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,529)

USA
Reviewed 8 June 2005

My wife and I returned from TiKaye a couple of weeks ago from our honeymoon. All of the reviews that have been written are entirely accurate! TiKaye provides a comfortable, relaxing place to stay. If you are looking for a party all day/night atmosphere - this is NOT the place for you. However, if you want nice accomodations, friendly service, and the occasional day trip for a change of scenery - I cannot think of a better locale.

One note: Be prepared to sit-back and relax during lunch and dinner. The food is very good - but the service can be quite slow at times. Just chalk it up to "island time".

• Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 May 2005

Absolutely amazing.

My new husband and I spent an amazing honeymoon week at Ti Kaye April 24 to May 2. The resort was spectacular, the food was to die for, and the island itself was more beautiful than any other Caribbean paradise we've visited so far.

We arrived and departed at Vigies Airport, which was an interesting experience if you're not used to an airport that is basically an open-air strip mall with plastic seats. To say the ride to the hotel was an adventure is an undertstatement...our van/taxi driver had moves that put the roller coasters at our nearby Busch Gardens to shame.

To be greeted by name upon arrival, however, set the scene for a truly wonderful resort stay. The staff was beyond words. I cannot say enough kind things about these truly beautiful people. By the time we'd departed on our 7th day, we had made some wonderful friends with them, and came home truly missing them. The service was impeccable -- and if it was slow at times, we always wrote it off as "island time" -- and everyone felt they were treated like royalty.

There had been a mixup in the booking process and we were stuck in an oceanview cabana without a plunge pool (we'd reserved ours with one), but Janine apologized and explained the problem immediately, then offered to refund the difference plus give us two free nights in a plunge pooled room once it was available on our fourth day. DH, who is in sales, could not stop raving about how wonderful it was to vacation someplace where they actually acted interested in our happiness and not just our wallets.

We had opted out of the all-inclusive honeymoon, especially since we're from Florida, the land of Disney dream vacations, and were truly prepared to spend a week doing nothing but swinging in the hammock on our front porch. We did the exact opposite -- and spent a week doing something different each day: volcano tours, shopping in Castries, Seafood Night in Anse la Reye, climbing down the steps to the beach below, hanging out around the plunge pool with one of the several amazing couples we met who were honeymooning as well...

The Land and Sea Tour (trip to the volcano, a Soufriere visit, a dip in the cold springs, and a glimpse of the Pitons) is a must, as is the sunset cruise (which we missed twice, but were told was phenomenal by other couples). The seafood festival on Friday night was an experience like no other, which means a lot coming from a resident of a beach city with access to regular seafood fests. To be welcomed into a fishing village straight out of a movie, served local seafood (Caribbean lobster, mmmm) and spiced rum, was a perfect near-ending of an already perfect trip.

Only thing bad about the place was, if we visit again, we'll skip Castries. It was a bit too pushy for me; another couple was actually led by a local into the city a bit only to be hassled for a charitable donation for his kids. But in the same respect, it's important to remember that this is exactly what they say it is: a developing country. There's very poor and there's very rich, not too much in between. But these people are so friendly, so good, yet so needy, that it's difficult not to be a little wary.

To answer another complaint I've seen on board: Ti Kaye's private beach is invaded (quite frankly) every day by at least two snorkeling boats from neighboring resorts. DH and I never found this to be too intrusive, however, since they rarely came onto the beach and really seemed to remain near their boats. The beach crew of locals is totally bearabe, too. We spent the first few days of hassle before we realized they really did back off after you said "no," and were actually really great conversationalists with colorful stories about the island. Definitely worth a few moments spent getting to know them. Ron and JT will be fondly remembered.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Ti Kaye, least of all the fact that it allowed my husband and I a week to enjoy our first days as a married couple. We spent seven days in paradise, met people who we expect will be lifelong friends, and made memories to last just as long.

8  Thank dani2679
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 24 May 2005

My new husband and I honeymooned at Ti Kaye and couldn't have dreamed of a better way to begin our marriage. We met great couples while we were there. In fact, Erin, who wrote a review on this webpage from Houston is one of the people we spent a lot of our time with while there. The staff is incredible, the cottages are spotless, the outdoor shower is fabulous! My husband and I have decided that if we ever build our own house, we're adding an outdoor shower! The first full day we were there, my husband lost his wedding ring in the sea. He was swimming off of the beach and it fell off in about 20 ft deep water. Before we knew it, staff from the dive shop, other people vacationing at Ti Kaye and the locals were all out in the water with snorkels looking for the ring. Miraculously, a local diver found it the next morning for us! That's just an example of how the staff and other people at Ti Kaye are, they will do anything to make your stay more pleasureable. The food was amazing and most nights, my husband and I just split the meals because if you order the 3 courses, it's plenty of food! You must go to Ti Kaye! Before we even left the resort, we were planning a trip back next year for our anniversary!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 14 May 2005

My husband and I stayed at Ti Kaye 4/25-5/5. We chose Ti Kaye carefully after spending a lot of time researching different resorts on the island. We knew we did not want to stay in a commercialized section of the island and wanted to stay away from feeling like we were still in the States. After reading reviews here, Ti Kaye sounded like everything that we were looking for - beauty, seclusion, and romance. I can honestly say that Ti Kaye was everything we wanted and more!

As so many other people have stated, the rooms are fabulous (we were in Hadi which is an oceanfront cottage with a great view) and the outdoor shower was really cool. There's nothing like showering under the stars! I was a little iffy on the thought of lots of bugs or lizards and frogs in the room. We had no problems with bugs and the lizard who lived in our cottage was very small and kept to himself. The A/C does work well if you choose to use it, the rooms are clean and the netting is definitely a romantic touch.

Food and service were also great. We miss the smiles of every single person on staff! Pilgrim and Cleus - great drinks, thank you!

We participated in several activities (snorkeling at the Pitons, horseback riding, day trip to Soufriere, in-room massage, sunset cruise) and all were very nice - especially the sunset cruise with the couple from Lanmou (I'll be emailing soon you guys!)

The only negative for me personally was knowing that if I went to the beach I would be approached by the local vendors even though we had already purchased several things. The local people are nice and saying 'no' definitely works, I just didn't want to be approached anymore. But that's a personal feeling and may not be bothersome to everyone. My husband, for example, enjoyed negotiating for his conch shells and necklaces! We were not bothered at all by the resort boats coming in as they were not loud or disruptive, in our opinion.

We really believe that Ti Kaye is absolutely the best resort for your money in St. Lucia and it would certainly be our choice of resort if we ever return to the island. Definitely stay at Ti Kaye- it is well worth it!

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 May 2005

My new wife and I spent the week of 4/18-4/25 honeymoon'n at Ti Kaye. I will say that for the most part the reviews are right on. We have been fortunate enough to travel to several other locations in the Caribbean and have become a little picky but here is what we felt where the pro's and con's to Ti Kaye:
Pro's:
The staff. They were genuinely very friendly and helpfull. They tried to get to know every guest and it showed.

The food. The restaurant had a limited menu but just about every dish was fabulous. I savored every dinner and looked forward to the next.

The room. They were simple but adequite. We loved the outdoor shower and took several every day. One of the most enjoyable parts of the trip was enjoying a Piton Ale while showering under the setting sun.

Piton Ale. If your a beer drinker you will surely enjoy this very quaffable ale. It just goes so well with the wonderful environment.

The Island. The people all all very genuinly friendly and it is just a beautiful place.

Cost. The cost of the lodging and the meals was very reasonable. We would highly recommend the meal plan of 5 dinners and 3 lunches because the place is so remote that you ARE going to eat most of your meals there and this plan is well worth it. It almost makes the food an all inclusive type of deal.

The Con's
The Beach. I understand that this may be getting a bit picky but the fact that the tour boats from the cruise ships use this lovely secluded beach as one of their favorite stops to bring their hoards of tourist's puts a BIG damper on the lovely tranquilty of Ti Kaye. It not only disrupt's the peace and quiet of the beach but it bring's out the local vendor's who, while polite are still what we would consider a nuisance. I don't need a 'shake down' every time I go to the beach for some peace and quiet. The snorkeling was average from our experience. Also, the black sand made the beach extremely hot and the clarity of the water was not great.

Getting there. The 1.5-2.0 hour taxi/roller coaster ride to Ti Kaye after a long flight was tolerable but not desirable. If you get car sickness pop a few pills before that ride.

The restaurant furniture. The meals were so delicious and romantic and lasted 1-2 hours on average but the table and chairs were so uncomfortable that we had a hard time enjoying them. I am 6' 3" and my legs would not fit under the table. After an hour sitting on those God awful wicker chairs I longed for a decent chair to soothe my aching bottom. I do believe they feel the same because before we left the barstools which were some sort of wicker torture stool had been replaced by a nice stool that actually had a padded back. So, hopefully the tables and chairs in the restaurant will be next.
The coffee. I am some what addicted to a good cup of coffee and Ti Kaye did not deliver in this area. The coffee in the room was nasty and the coffee in the restaurant was just as bad. I'm not sure what the reason was behind this but I think it had something to do with the water.
It seemed fine to drink but it just didn't make a good cup of Joe.

The service. I know I'm an American that is used to everything going full throtle but the service at times was inconsistent. The first night we got there we were so tired we just wanted to eat and go to sleep but the server did not recognize this and dragged the whole dinner out 2 hours. There were also other times where we were like when is the server going to check back so I can get another beer or more water or ..... They use the type of service where there is an order taker, a beverage server, a food server, table clearer...so, it is not clear who to ask fo something when you need something and I guess my point is you shouldn't have to ask.

Would we go back? Yes. I doubt we ever will but it has nothing to do ith Ti Kaye and the wonderful staff there but more to do with all the places that we we would love to go see.
Would I go if I were you? Yes. Ti Kaye is a great place with a great staff so go check it out.

18  Thank Dwyer
Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
Reviewed 11 May 2005

This was the *perfect* resort for the first 4 days of our honeymoon, and although the staff was excellent and we loved our room (spend the extra and get the plunging pool), we were ready to move on for more excitement by the end. We did need the rest, however, and it was very romantic.

Note that the beach stairs you've been reading about in other reviews are only a problem if you haven't exercised in a while. I'm hardly "fit" but was never out of breath and never hesitated to run up for something (espcially lunch). If you can't do 5 minutes on a Stairmaster, you should probably think twice about another resort - Ti Kaye is a little hilly.

As somebody else mentioned, it's not a diver's paradise either, but you can snorkel in the cove. In fact, the Sandals boats drop their snorklers here twice a day, right off Ti Kaye's beach. Talk to the staff down at the dive shop first about the currents - one day it was fairly strong out along the far points, though the cove itself was fine. Snorkel both sides of the cove! We brought our own mask, snorkel and fins... I don't know if they provide them for free, but they have a fully equipped dive shop right there on the beach.

Everything was very clean. Our bungalow had an outdoor shower with a plunging pool and it was worth it! All are fairly private and the views are very nice. There are no screens in the windows (hurricane shutters only), but the air conditioning was more than adequate. We were there before the rainy season and the bug season, however, so bring some DEET spray just in case. The beds have mosquito netting.

Food was above average with some local specialties. The bar poured liberal drinks; better than we found anyplace else. The beach bar has "beach bar" food, and I loved the jerked wings down there with a Peton, the local beer. We remember the staff, however, because they quickly become good friends.

It's expensive to go off property... a cab can run as much as $70 one way to the Petons depending on when you come or go. We took a non-resort water taxi (a 16' fishing boat, with dead fish still on the deck) for $60 us.

There's not much to do "in town" around Ti Kaye. The little fishing boat took us to the Hilton between the Pitons where we attended "Bang." Trust me, you do NOT need to go to Bang... the show is so-so and the food is very average overall for $40 each. The Friday fish fry in Anse La Ray was very small. Again, we would have done better staying on the resort and enjoying one another!

Skip the pool... you want to be on the beach. They have trouble keeping it clear because it is shallow and the sun is warm. Besides, the only people who hung out at the pool were either too out of shape or too infirm to use the stairs... they wasted half their money by missing the beach. Again, the stairs are not bad if you can do 5 minutes on a Stairmaster without getting sick.

One more thing - there is a small group of long-established beach vendors who can set you up with everything from trinkets to, well, you'd be surprised... they are not theives, I was assured, but they will pester you if you don't ask them to leave you alone. I'd suggest you spend some time with them before dismissing them - they're colorful locals. I didn't find their prices to be very good, so bargain HARD and don't apologize for it. You may counter at about 1/3rd they begin at. The beach staff will even tell you if the price is right.

I'd recommend this resort to honeymooners or folks looking for an escape. Make sure you can do 5 minutes on a Stairmaster. By the 4th day we were ready to move on, because it is very quiet and private.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Anse Chastanet
#5 of 11 in Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!