“Five star doesn't hold a candle to Ti Kaye”

Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
Reviewed 21 August 2009

My Husband and I just spent a week at Ti Kaye, the first week in August.
We were celebrating a 10 year anniversary and picked Ti Kaye because of the great reviews and because it didn't look like the usual crowded all inclusive resorts that just aren't our style. We have traveled quite extensively and stayed at many quality hotels through the years. I had never been to St. Lucia before and wasn't exactly sure what to expect. We picked Ti Kaye because it looked secluded, quiet and really nice...which is exactly what we were looking for--- our daily lives are hectic, running non-stop through cell phone calls, the television on 24/7 and living at work. I try to research places well before chosing them as vacation spots so, I had read many reviews on Ti Kaye and was a little scared about a couple of things: The people who complained about the road into the resort and even advised taking Dramamine, the people who complained about the stairs, and the people who complained about the fact that there wasn't a lot to do. Bottom Line: Those people probably should seek out a cruise or a Sandals next time.
Let me say, the trip ended very differently than it began. We had a long day in the airport and on the flight...so, we were tired when we arrived in St. Lucia. It was about an hour and a half getting to the resort and once we got to the road that leads to the hotel...saying it was a bumpy ride is an understatement. (Yes, it's bad but, advising you take Dramamine is kind of ridiculous). My husband and I looked at each other as we were making our way to the resort like, " Are you kidding me with this road?" A couple of minutes later we arrived. We were hot and tired as we were welcomed at the office. Once in the room, it was steaming hot as the air conditioning unit had been off all day. To top it off, we noticed there were these weird bugs everywhere!!! We got dressed, went down to the restaurant and noticed the bugs were all over the table! I got back to the room and thought, I'm usually pretty good at picking these vacation spots but, I may have made a mistake this time! The next morning, I saw Ti Kaye in a totally different light. The air conditioning unit had cooled off the room nicely. The spacious deck off the room was a wonderful place to take in the morning sun...a very comfortable hammock became a place my husband and I raced for to read a book or magazine in. The side deck was great too with a plunge pool and comfortable lounge chairs. (The pool was a decent size, I took a float and it was big enough to lay in.) Our room had a great ocean view, the rooms come with an I-pod dock, we turned it on and bought some Piton beers at the local grocery ( I would highly recommend bringing your I-pod and asking the driver to stop at the store for beer and snacks on the way in, there's a nice size fridge in your room.) It all made for some nice afternoons...just doing nothing at our cabin. The outdoor shower is also awesome! The other great and strange thing that happened. The annoying bugs were suddenly gone! Another couple told us, a staff member had explained it was actually just a weird fluke that this swarm of bugs came in on Saturday night....after that, they were gone?!! We hardly saw a bug, I took a ton of bug repellent with us because I was worried about mosquitos and we really didn't need it!
The beach was really nice. ( I found some short water boots to take with me because I read about the rocks leading out to the beach, the boots were a little dorky but, I looked like a genius while other people were trying to avoid the rocks! Crocs would work also..) The snorkeling is great right at Ti Kaye's beach! You can do that everyday for a small fee, or you can get a kayak which comes with your stay. Terry, put chairs out for us...and ran drinks back and forth for us all day long...he was great! The beach restaurant was very good...with nice portions, the sandwiches and fries were great. A couple of days we ate a late lunch and skipped dinner, because we had snacks, beers and cokes in the room. On the Tai night they have at the restaurant, we ate at the bar and got a pork dish that was awesome. The next night I had a great filet and I'm very picky. We went to the Wednesday night cocktail party where you meet the staff, it was fun and the dinner after that was good featuring more local foods. We also went to the Friday night fish fry with Styne as our host... he was awesome because he's from the area...and he told us what was a good deal. I would definately recommend it. We took a water taxi to the Rainforest Hideaway Restaurant which I would also highly recommend (they take cash and visa/mastercard. Word of warning--- they do not take American Express and neither does Ti Kaye) . We also did the wine tasting with Cleus/he's awesome!!! And we did the Land and Sea tour which is a good way to see the southern part of the island and the Pitons. We met some very nice people throughout the week ( from Denver, St. Louis, Bloomington and Phoenix)...most were like us...looking for a nice quiet beautiful retreat (no screaming children!!!) The staff truly makes this place great...all were wonderful but, we had a chance to get to know Natalie, Gus, Cleus, Terry, Stein, Nigel and Lita a little better than some of the others...these people are amazing, they are professional, greet you with a smile, know your name and give you the kind of attention that a great resort should require. As for the stairs, I can really only understand the complaint if you are greatly out of shape or have a health issue, if so, you may want to choose another resort. There are a lot of stairs to go up and down but, for us after eating and drinking all day at the beach, a jog up the stairs became good excercise for us..it's no big deal. The road into the resort also became no big deal because we only went in and out a couple of times because we loved the place and really didn't want to leave. It also made sense for the resort because it causes people just like us to want to stay on the resort and it keeps it safe by keeping other people out. Oh!....and the spa...we went twice. I get massages on a regular basis and the ladies from Bali were well qualified and extemely good! The waves crashing on the rocks underneath you was pretty great. Plan to spend money if you go...we spent about 17-hundred dollars on food for the week, excursions, the spa, etc. You don't want to be at this place worried about how much everything costs, that will wreck your trip. Save money, plan ahead and have fun! We plan to save again for another trip back! My best advice, If you want a man made beach and a pool bar...Go to Sandals or just go to Florida. Ti Kaye is an experience !

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank detailskentucky

Reviewed 13 August 2009

Ti Kaye was an absolutely wonderful place to stay. My husband I got married and honeymooned here in June. The wedding was arranged by Lita and she was wonderful and made everything so easy easy for us. We arrived very late on a Friday and we were greeted with rum punch and warm welcomes after a very long day in the airports. Our room was amazing. We had an ocean view room and the view was beautiful. My new husband I saw several beautiful sunsets. We did not get a room with a plunge pool but we didn't really need it. The hotel pool was very nice and most of the time didn't have anybody else around. The outdoor showers had a Garden of Eden feel to it with the tropical plants in the shower area. I loved the outdoor shower. Even though the rooms had shutters and were open we did not have a problem with bugs at night. We did keep them closed at night and we did not need to use the mosquito netting on the bed.

The main resort restaurant was delicious. Ever dish I had for dinner was wonderful. I have no complaints about the quality of food. I do feel that they were a little on the expensive side but I still enjoyed every bit of my dinners. David the bartender made great drinks. The strawberry surprise he made me one evening turned out to be my favorite of the whole trip. The breakfast buffet was great. There were a lot of choices. My hubby and I usually had breakfast late and then we were able to skip lunch and have a regular dinner. The 5 minute free massage before dinner was a great touch!

Although there were many steps down to the beach we didn't mind it too much because we would spend most of the day on the beach. The beach was great except it did get overrun with the Sandals and Carnival boats for snorkeling. Most of the time they were either out in the water or to the far right and didn't bother the guests of the hotel. Rainbow Man and Lucky 7, some 'residents' of the beach were nice and respectful and didn't bother us at all.

The snorkeling out in the beach was a lot of fun. My husband and I snorkeled every day out there instead of spending the money on a snorkeling trip.

With our wedding package we did get a wine tasting and a private dinner on the deck. Cleus did the wine tasting for us and he is very knowledgeable on wine. The variety of wines available were amazing and it was great to hear the history behind them as well. He definitely was not stingy in pouring the wines. You got more than a taste! Our private dinner on the deck was beautiful. It was just the two of us and very intimate. The food was again delicious and I would not have changed a thing. The hotel had the deck decorated with flowers everywhere and lining the railings of the deck. It was a prefect setting for an intimate romantic dinner with my new husband.

We also had the opportunity to have an hour long couples massage. I must say that this was amazing and very relaxing. The spa over looks the ocean and has a beautiful view. They even have mirrors underneath the massage tables so you didn't miss the ocean view while getting your massage.

In regard to the wedding... The planning and whole process was so easy. Ti Kaye arranged for a Taxi to take us to Castries to see the lawyer to get our license to be married. The actual lawyer visit only took about 30 min but we were lucky enough to be able to walk around Castries and see some of the city. Lita at Ti Kaye helped arrange to have someone do my hair, and hire the photographer. I was given two choices with my bouquet. I chose to have a tropical bouquet. I am sad that I had to leave this in St. Lucia due to customs. We also had a wedding cake and we had a choice in flavor too. The cake was delicious. I loved it and was sad that I had to leave half of this in St. Lucia to. If only I could duplicate the recipe! The photographer they hired, Ray took many beautiful pictures despite it being overcast and cloudy. They still came out beautiful. We were married on Wednesday, the same day the manager has her cocktail party for the guests. After we were married we attended the cocktail party still dressed from getting married and the cocktail party was almost like a reception because we had the open bar, the buffet dinner and the dancing afterwords. It was awesome!

The hotel did organize a trip to the Friday night Fish Fest and they did a great job with this. The staff member that went with us was very knowledgeable and showed which vendors to buy from and even let us taste some local rum!

As for cons I would say the road to and from Ti Kaye was awful for somebody that gets car sick. Other than that Ti Kaye was wonderful and made my wedding, honeymoon and vacation absolutely perfect. I could not have asked for more and I would not have changed a thing. Every person on staff was wonderful and the Resort was wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank treasurehunter37
Reviewed 13 August 2009

My wife and I stayed a week at Ti Kaye in April. We agree it was the best vacation we have ever taken. The ride to the resort is long and curvy, but you get a chance to see the island and you get a chance to stop for drinks. Going home we went the opposite way to the airport; so we got a chance to see the entire island. Our arrival at Ti Kaye exceeded all of our expectations. Walking into the bar and seeing the evening sun sparkling across the ocean was perfect start to the perfect vacation. The staff were both very attentive and personable. After one day they knew us by name and were incredibly polite and helpful. They made every effort to accommodate any request and were more than happy to assist with anything we needed. The resort is stunningly beautiful, the sunsets are picturesque from anywhere at Ti Kaye, the open air bar and restaurant lets you enjoy both the wonderful views and the magnificent weather, the spa is breathtaking (we suggest getting the couples massage overlooking the ocean!!), and the beach is both big enough to spend time alone with your spouse but small enough to get drinks brought to you from the bar. The snorkeling is great in and around the bay. We brought our own snorkel gear, but you can also rent snorkel and dive equipment at the dive shop. One must do is scuba diving. My wife and I have never scuba dived before, but after watching a movie at the shop and a taking a quick hands on lesson in the water we were able to go on an hour long dive in the bay. It was amazing! The colors were more vibrant than anything I could have imagined! We also took a few excursions. Word to the wise…the Piton Hike is not exactly what the brochure says…it is 1/5 hike and 4/5 climb. I consider my wife and I to be in fairly good shape and I was expecting a modest hike up the mountain, but what we got was a grueling 4 hour hike that left us soaked in sweat, exhausted, and worthless for the rest of the day. The hike was fun and the views at the top were one of a kind, but it was not what I had in mind for “vacation.” Ti Kaye is pretty far away from any town or activity so it is almost impossible to shop for food or groceries. We had planned to get lunch meat and drinks for the fridge but never made it into town. Although I am sure Ti Kaye could have arranged a ride for us, we decided to get meals from the Beach Bar and Ti Kaye main Restaurant. The dinner meals were somewhat expensive, but very good. Several nights we got sandwiches and a bottle of wine at the Beach Bar and ate on our porch for dinner. The resort is perfect for couples wanting to get away and enjoy themselves. There we no kids and no crazy college bars which suited us fine as we came to Ti Kaye for the romantic aspect. Although there were no “crazy and loud” bars there was plenty to do. The bar serves great drinks and always has a special. Plus, a band played one night, there was a cocktail party for everyone (catered by the resort), free 5 minute back massages every other evening before and after dinner, and you could always take alcohol back to your room. We also highly recommend the personal wine tasting…which was awesome! If you want to get away from it all and you are going to the Caribbean to find a relaxing paradise to enjoy with your spouse then go to Ti Kaye!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gspa03
Reviewed 11 August 2009

My husband and I spent a week in July at Ti Kaye and absolutely loved it. I picked Ti Kaye based on reviews from Trip Advisor and I was not disappointed. Everything I read was true. The positives that have been written about the resort were even better than described and the negatives were barely noticed.

Pros:
-#1 is definitely customer service. The staff could not have been any friendlier just as described in so many postings. David, the bartender was our favorite.
-Beautiful setting and accommodations
-Beach was great: chairs and umbrellas set up for you, Terry to get you whatever you need, snorkeling right there (dive shop on premises), and a great on-the-beach restaurant.
-Size: The resort is small so it is quiet and very relaxing. We had plenty of time to just be with each other, but there were also many opportunities to mingle with other guests (only if you want to). We usually went to the bar before dinner and this is when we met other guests. In fact, we made some really good friends at Ti Kaye that we will keep in touch with!

Cons:
-Steps to beach: yes, if you are older or completely out of shape, these could be a problem. For us they were not that bad. If you want an amazing view like Ti Kaye has, there is no other option but to have steps down to the beach. We tried to only make 1 trip down and up a day. There are plenty of places on the steps to stop and rest.
-Birds: They are only a problem at breakfast, and as long as you are at your table they do not bother you. As soon as you get up, they attack your plate, so beware.
-Roads: Twisty roads to resort are not so bad. The road directly to the resort is terrible but the drivers handle it well.
-Beach vendors: Fortunately, the same few people come every day so after they introduce themselves once, they usually leave you alone. I actually bought a couple of really pretty bracelets from “Lucky 7”.

Neither Pro or Con
-Food - not bad and not superb. Breakfast is buffet style (lots of options) and mediocre. It costs $10 (American) per person. I heard that it used to be included in the room cost and I suggested to Ti Kaye that they go back to that. Dinners were good. Some nights my dish was wonderful, some nights it was just good (never bad!). They change the menu every night which is fun. Yes, it is a little pricey, but typical on the island and portions are big. The rolls before dinner are delicious.
-Nighttime sound: one thing that I did not see mentioned in any review was the nighttime sounds of crickets, frogs, and other insects. I guess it is expected since the resort is so remote, but I was in shock by how LOUD it was as soon as it got dark. For some it was probably peaceful but as a light sleeper, it took me a couple of nights to get used to it. Not a con, just something to be mentioned.
-Happy hour: every day there is happy our at the beach bar from 4-5 and at the upstairs restaurant bar from 5-6 (2 for 1 drinks). As mentioned we went to the bar almost every night before dinner. Unfortunately, dinner does not start until 7, so often when we showed up at 6 to have a drink before dinner, happy hour had ended. I am sure they probably do this on purpose, but I still suggested that they extend happy hour or move the time to 6-7.

Excursions
-Rainforest Hideaway Restaurant: it was fun to get away one night. The food here was delicious and the staff was awesome. The manager taught us how to use a bunch of settings on our own camera.
-Zipline (canopy tour): lots of fun. The rainforest is beautiful and the guide on the bus to the location told us lots of fun info about St. Lucia.

We had an amazing time at Ti Kaye and if we ever return to St. Lucia, this is definitely where we will stay.

2  Thank VACouple1
Reviewed 9 August 2009

My husband and I stayed at Ti Kaye for our one year anniversary, it was absolute paradise. The room, the staff, the food, the spa, the beach, everything was amazing. It doesn't get any better than an outdoor shower facing the beautiful ocean. The snorkeling and kayaking were fun and the land & sea tour of the island was great. I would definitely go again, just DO NOT EVER FLY THERE ON AMERICAN AIRLINES. AA kept us on the island for an extra 2 and a 1/2 days, which sounds fun, but was a nightmare. We got home 62 hours after we left Ti Kaye, NO exaggeration. The AA staff was unapologetic, unaccommodating and unwilling to make up for this major inconvenience. They ferried us back and forth an hour and a half from the airport to sub-par resorts 4 times with a $10 voucher for dinner. The experience was totally unacceptable. BUT I would definitely recommend Ti Kaye, it was a once and a lifetime experience, total relaxation and fun. It is the perfect quiet, island vacation.

1  Thank AmyVirginia
Reviewed 7 August 2009

My wife and I went with our two children, 14 and 18. Almost everyone else was there on their honeymoon, but that was fun. We were known among the guests as "the family" and we told all the honeymooners that we were givng them a glimpse 20 years in the future.

We had both sides of a duplex cottage. The rooms were beautiful (flower petals on the beds when we arrived), the outdoor garden shower was very exotic and relaxing (and private), and the view from the front porch with a very nice hammock was tremendous out across the ocean. The staff was very friendly and helpful -- especially nice to my kids. The beach is a secluded cove with some great reefs right there for snorkeling. It is 168 steps down to the beach, so make sure you have all you need. But the views from the platforms where you can stop to rest are incredible. And the beachside grill has great lunches.

My son and I took an excursion to climb one of the Pitons -- a very hard, hot guided hike that is definitely worth the toil and sweat. The boat picked us up right on the beach at Ti Kaye. My wife and daughter went by boat the same day for shopping and enjoyed that. Go to the fish fry in the little village for some local culture. The cliffside open-air dining room at the resort is beautiful and the food is good, not great.

We definitely want to go back to Ti Kaye -- way better than a big resort hotel. And again, a great staff.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank 58DavidAthens
Reviewed 7 August 2009

We went to Ti Kaye on our honeymoon a couple weeks ago and we still talk about it almost daily. We truly miss it! The outdoor shower has made it to the top of our list for "essential ammenity in our future dream home"! Thank you to Cleus, Dina, Christian, Terry, Nigel, and everyone else on the staff who helped make our honeymoon unforgettable. We had a "relaxtion focused" honeymoon so we didn't do any of the expeditions other than the Friday Night Fish Fry (which was a highlight of our trip since we're huge foodies--the best food we ate the entire week was at the Fish Fry! You MUST try the grilled red snapper in garlic sauce with fresh grilled bread...oh my god. And for $4US it was the best bargain of the week! But more importantly, it was out of this world delicious and fresh). We went to the spa a couple times--do not miss this! I'm a spa afficianado and this was by far my favorite experience. The NY spas will inevitably just be a letdown after that amazing view overlooking the ocean with the waves crashing beneath you. One tip: try to book a treatment around 5 or 6pm. The party boats and rowdy beach guys blowing into their conch shells have subsided and it's much more peaceful. Our first massage was at 2pm, and my second massage (a deep tissue--amazing!) was at 5pm and so much quieter. The wine tasting with Cleus was another fantastic memory! We made our last night at Ti Kaye special by doing a private dinner on our veranda. It was an extra $50 service charge to do this, but soooo worth it. It was so relaxing to enjoy a glass of champagne in your hammock in between courses. If we had known it was going to be so lovely, we would have had dinner delivered to our room more than one night. They set up a beautiful table scattered with fresh flowers and it's just so romantic!
We contemplated splitting up our trip: 1/2 our time at the pricier Ladera, and 1/2 our time at Ti Kaye. But after thinking about it we decided that it would mean spending nearly a full day checking out of one hotel, traveling, and checking into another. So we decided to stay at Ti Kaye the entire week and we didn't regret that decision for one second. We had NO complaints whatsoever and we never felt like we "downgraded" by not staying at Ladera. Ti Kaye was amazing, luxurious, secluded and so romantic. I've never had a more blissful week of my life! I will recommend this resort to anyone, but especially honeymooners!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Anse Cochon
Anse Chastanet
#5 of 11 in Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!