“First class”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Visited Jimmy Pickles on a busy Saturday evening with friends.Friendly greeting and shown immediately to a well presented table. Restaurant goes back a long way so don't be deceived by the narrow frontage. Very tastefully decorated and appointed with plenty of friendly helpful staff and relaxed atmosphere. Our meals were all very delicious although not being a curry lover I chose T bone steak which was a tad grissley. However it was served beautifully with salad, crispy chips and a really delicious mushroom and onion topping. I think it could have come from the biggest cow in the world but without hesitation I was offered a 'doggy bag' and came away with a very nice little package. A brilliant, first class dining experience and well worth a return visit. Well done you.

Date of visit: July 2014

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Haven't been her for a while, Menu has changed to Fusion style.
Balti's aren't on the menu. Ask and there offered instantly without fuss.
Absolutely brilliant, freshly cooked, great taste. Highly recommend.

Date of visit: June 2014
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We visited Jimmy Pickles on Sunday 4th May as a family. We don't go here loads, but maybe once every 6 months or so. Takeaways have been disappointing the last couple of times. For some reason, the chicken Korma is not as good as the one you eat in? I did mention this to the manager once, as being a small business owner myself, would rather I was told than just not return.

It was quiet when we arrived around 6.30pm, but soon filled up as a bank holiday. Staff are polite, but not particularly smiley.

Food is excellent, as is the presentation - it really is. Everything spotlessly clean on tables and throughout.

We asked for our bill, waited ages and it was incorrect. They seemed a bit short staffed in my opinion. Waited ages for them to come to take the card, so in the end went up to desk to pay on the way out.

Date of visit: May 2014
1  Thank jofunkyfacepainter
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Really interesting menu (in a good way), the owner and his staff helped us select something which met our requirements that night. Very friendly, warming environment, and to boot the food was excellent. Fabulous night !!

Date of visit: May 2014
Reviewed 28 April 2014

i left a slightly negative review after my last visit and said I would write a better one once I'd been back, so here it is!

We were child-free for a rare Saturday night so decided to make the most of it and go out, and chose Jimmy Pickles as we've had some really nice meals here in the past and really like it there. We had booked a table, and were seated immediately and drinks orders were taken quickly too. I noticed from looking at the menu that there appeared to be some new dishes compared to the last few times I've been (I think! Either that or I've just not noticed them before!). We weren't quite ready to order when the waiter came back, but he was happy to leave us for another few mins.

We requested some poppadoms to nibble on whilst we continued to look at the menu, but were told that they normally take the popadom order with the main order, and then serve them whilst we were waiting for our starters. We agreed, and carried on browsing the menu.

The order was placed and the poppadoms were brought to the table shortly afterwards with a selection of 4 dips. We hadn't finished the poppadoms and the starters came to the table which we shared and both were very tasty. The mains came out piping hot and were also tasty - I like how they have some fusion dishes on the menu and not just your normal baltis/tikka masalas etc., although the more traditional dishes are also available.

We passed on dessert as we were too full up. The total bill came to £56 - that was for 4 poppadoms, 2 starters, 2 mains, 1 naan bread and 3 pints of Cobra lager. We didn't order rice as one of the mains came with rice anyway and we just shared that. I must admit, their peshwari naans are among the nicest out there - not too big so they fill you up but still tasty and fresh.

Overall, it was a good night out and service was prompt. I also feel that it is good value for money and there is an excellent selection of meals on the menu.

The only issue I have however, is that we would have liked the poppadoms to nibble on whilst browsing the menu because the starters came out before we'd finished them causing the table to be a bit crowded with all the plates. It's also good to space things out a bit when eating out so you don't fill up too quickly. I'm not sure what the reasoning is for taking poppadom orders with the rest of the order and why it can't be taken separately to give us more time to browse the menu.

Date of visit: April 2014