“Generally great, but with reservations.”
Review of Black Dog Bistro

Black Dog Bistro
Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in Manotick
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 21 November 2017

I’ve eaten here several times over the past 10years. It’s very popular, justifiably so. Good ambiance, well cooked and presented food. Usually attentive, informed staff with unobtrusive service, it’s the place to go, midweek for an unhurried lunch.
I’ll stick with my 5star rating despite my latest experience. I asked for rare steak. What I received was raw steak. It was cooked on the outside, but was not bloody on the inside, it was cold and raw. My server, Shannon, disagreed. She informed me that it was rare. Who am I to argue with a juvenile gastronome. For me it was raw, nasty and inedible, but I’m only the customer and I’m sure that her 20 something years has made her an expert. I felt dismissed and rather patrronized.
Advice? Don’t order rare steak from a teenager at the Black Dog unless you have your feral fangs in place. I’ve stuck with a good review because it has been excellent apart from the last visit, but management really can’t become complacement, a couple of Shannon’s could really loose your reputation.

1  Thank pippa w

Reviewed 17 November 2017

I have been here on many occasions. The food is always good and the service great. It is a relaxed atmosphere and a great place for beers with buddies, business meetings, or dates. It has a great patio for the summer months. This has been a casual dining "go to" for me.

2  Thank Matt G
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

This cozy dog themed bistro is set right on main street Manotick and sports a lovely outside patio. Unfortunately, our visit was in November and restricted to the inside which is also very nicely decorated. We arrived on a Thursday right at 11:30am (opening time) and the placed filled up quickly so reservations are recommended! The service was prompt and courteous and the menu has something for everyone. I found it slightly annoying that the burgers come naked and everything is an add on at extra cost. That said, the sweet potatoes fries are definitely a must do and worth the $2 hit. We tried the beef and lamb burgers as well as the vegetarian sandwiches. The food is excellent but slightly pricey for this type of fare. The others in the group loved it but I’m only so so on the Place because my lamb burger fell apart at the first bite and I had to eat it with a knife and fork.
We’ll likely try it again on a hot summer day on the patio. Sunshine & beer make everything better...

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

We went to celebrate my moms and sisters birthdays and had a great visit. Our waiter was excellent and offered and explained the dishes we had questions about. The service was prompt and the waiter was attentive. The food was excellent. Would definitely recommend and will go back again!

Reviewed 20 October 2017

I ate at the Black Dog a few years ago; food was excellent. Returned to celebrate a birthday. The food was still very good with two recommendations. If you order any salad ask for dressing on the side. The greens were far too soft for the salad dressings they were pairing. Vinegar-oil logged with dressing. The balsamic dressing was too sharp with too much vinegar in the mix. Flourless chocolate cake excellent. The server seemed to be pumped up on Red Bull's. She took the fries without asking, (Hey we were still eating those!) and then disappeared taking our ketchup.