“Travel to a different Island”
Review of Laguna Mar

Laguna Mar
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Pampatar
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The floors were not swept for the duration of our stay. Towels were not provided all of the time. The staff seemed to be annoyed when we tried to ask for assistance in rectifying the problem. A friend of mine got checked into a room that had not be cleaned and the manager took 3 hours to find them a suitable room...unfortunately there were no towels by the time they got the room and had to wait another half hour for towels.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Nisha A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed 8 August 2013

The airport is shabby, small and lacks running water. The toilets are filthy and there are no monitors to indicate whether your flight is on time or delayed. One of my colleagues was even robbed of $200US at the airport by the nation guard who searched her handbag. While expressing her concerns other passengers expressed similar concerns of having been robbed by the national guard who searcher their purses. Beware when they search you at the airport especially if you are carrying US dollars! What was even more disturbing was that the staff at the airport seemed unwilling to assist when these concerns were brought before them.
On arrival at the hotel, the room was filthy. It clearly wasn't cleaned prior to our arrival. Complaining at the front desk was useless. Speaking to the manager also was a huge waste of time as nothing was done. I finally resigned myself to the fact that i had to keep this room. Besides that, the rooms at the hotel are old, and everything seems to have a pungent odor. Most of the staff are unable to communicate in English so ensure you refresh your Spanish before you travel. Many other colleagues at the hotel indicated that their belongs were moved around after the maid cleaned their rooms (as if they were searching for valuables) Other colleagues even had shoes stolen as well as other person belongs.
Finally I would like to advise anyone who wishes to travel here to do not trade money on the street. Numerous persons were robbed on the street. Others even had their purses slashed and money stolen while some had their gold chains snatched.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank BD1989
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My wife and i stayed here in February 8-12 2013.
First of all the room booking was a mess since we paid for ocean view and didn't get any. Complaining to the front desk was a waste of time and by the time they were trying to sort us out we had one more night so moving made no sense. The hotel is like a big white corporate office building, the carpets smell and everyone on our trip who came before said the hotel is run down since they last came since you can see it needs some upgrading. The staff cant really speak English, some try to help, others seem to not care.

The room was too cold and turning it off or down caused condensation. The bathrooms and the furniture needs to be upgraded since they were rusty and old.

The food is ok, you can walk in and eat in some of the restaurants but if you want to try the Italian and Mexican you need to book them as soon as you arrive. The grill restaurant had a lot of flies but their food was better. They need to add some flavour to their food and change up the menu. You can eat as much as you want though, and if you're not a big rum drinker then the juices and mild drinks will tide you over.

The pools had a dirty, oily film like sewage when we passed an evening so we didn't bathe in them, the kids pool was nice and warm unfortunately the wave pool is not working and hasn't been for quite a while. The jacuzzi are cozy but they can be crowded at times.

The night time entertainment was fun and the nice open atmosphere was relaxing.

If you're thinking of shopping please be careful at the flea markets and look out for the quality you're getting. Also there are a lot of counterfeit bills which people try to pass off so be aware. Also Bees are no value in Trinidad so if you have any remaining run it our on the departure fees or in the airport. The shopping areas were ok but if you shop online out of the US regularly then you're not getting good deals here.

If you do want to try this place make sure to use Phil Tours since other travel agencies (like the one we used) in Trinidad buy from them and jack up the price on you! Phil also has good ground support when you arrive, better buses and can arrange cheaper tours which are on time and pick you up and drop you off. Let me reiterate although Margarita's crime is low compared to mainland Venezuela you have to be very careful since a lot of this country seems to be really poor and having reliable service from Phil especially in the late afternoon/ night is very important. Those other travel agencies have a lot of flight problems and don't have good ground support especially if you don't speak Spanish. Our travel agency people were in Margarita and didn't do anything wrt our room.

All in all my wife and I travel to different and won't be returning here. We didn't have a very good time and we definitely did not get value for our money since we could have spent the same money on another caribbean island and have a much vacation. Travel at your own risk don't say you didn't know!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor since they seem to be newer and if you arrive and don't get what...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sirkadelic
Reviewed 7 July 2013

this hotel is a nice vacation get away its really relaxing especially at the pool area and the kids had lots of fun. The food was not up to standards as previous times was mostly the same thing night after night the entertainment was nice but started late which was tough for us seeing i had my 1 year old . But my 7 year old enjoyed the kids time on stage. Hats off to Emily and the rest at the kids club. the hotel rooms was well kept and the staff was always willing to help. Over all i,ll rate it a 7 out of 10

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 357sasha123123357
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I chose Lagunamar since most Trinidadians go here. I heard about the many pools on the compound, the lagoon and of course the beach.

This hotel exceeded my expectations...then again I went with an open mind. The pools are cleaned every morning and there are lifeguards on duty to prevent any swimming accidents. The hotel itself is clean and cleaners can be seen throughout the day tidying the facility.

The food was tasty and on my trip there was quite a varity to choose from. My only issue was that the food needs to be labelled properly. I do not eat beef but to my horror, the lentil soup that I had just devoured (it was very tasty) contained beef (I discovered this after fishing out a huge piece....steups).

The hotel only offers basic drinks as part of its all inclusive package. This means you can only get the Venezuelan versions of alcohol and not the premium drinks like Bailey's , Alize etc....these you can request but you will have to pay. Ironically coconut trees abound but there is no coconut water on the drinks menu.

The beach is simple....then again I am from Trinidad where our beaches are crummy anyways...but I enjoyed the beach. Its a high energy coastline so the water is very rough....so you have to be very careful especially with the kids. On the beach there is another bar and a grill restaurant.

I have two issues with the hotel though...the rooms are very simple and needs to be upgraded. A coat of paint, a lightbulb and a painting will do wonders. The rooms have no personality at all. The A/C is way too cold and when you turn up the heat, it gets too hot and condensation forms on the wall and floors.

The water in the bath smells funny...actually it smells like raw sewage. The toilets in the ground floor level smell absolutely horrendous....you have been warned!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
13  Thank psykick
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The hotel was abit run down when i went a couple years ago. There was a problem with my bathroom. Most of the staff that do maintenance don't speak English. The food was good. Lots to choose from. The trip was great apart from the first day where we had to wait 6 hrs for our rooms to be ready. The performers during the night was friendly. The night activities were nice.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher level rooms. They are newer.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bruce C
Reviewed 4 June 2013

laguna mar was very nice I enjoyed it to the max with my mom , four aunts , my sister , my niece , cousin and my daughter had lots of fun loved the ambience the friendly staff , clean rooms, and tasty food and off course not forgetting the waiters smiles all the way. Phil tours played a important part as well they were available to carry us on shopping and island tours which was great

I told myself before I leave laguna mar I will definitely return

BUT hmmmm after spending fourteen hours (14) yes 14 hours of waiting on our flight I am wondering if and when I will be able to face that again

ESTELAIR was delayed our flight suppose to be at 3:25 pm we didn't leave until 1:50am
so that's a no no for me

especially when u have a four year old child with u and further u cant go out back when the check u in and in there is only one restaurant was selling fries, burgers . there was also a lengthy checking in because guards not using scanners to check true suit case they doing it manually

well they did promised us dinner but by time we get it was 10:30 pm we couldn't wait that long so went to restaurant for fries which cost 10 of us 60.00usd

so my fellow friends please don't be informed your stay at LAGUNA MAR will be fun, fun , fun

but be prepared when u reach airport. shopping nice but air port experience to exit country is a big thumbs down for me

Room Tip: choose rooms on north side was less noise and chipchipi restaurant has way better servers and food
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank BEENA D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pampatar
Hesperia Isla Margarita
California Hotel
#1 of 12 in El Yaque
3 mi away
Maloka Hotel Boutique & Spa

Been to Laguna Mar? Share your experiences!