“Don't even think about it! !!!!”
Review of Laguna Mar

Laguna Mar
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Pampatar
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Let me say that it is worth spending a little more to vacation at another country or a more expensive hotel if you really want to go to magarita island. Personally I wasted time and money booking a vacation here.
1. The food is the very worst. Same menu day after
day of tasteless food. The meats were not cooked and smelled awful. The best meal of the day was breakfast, and it wasn't all that great.during my stay I ate mostly salad, dry bread and thanks God for fresh fruits.
2. The room smelled like paint and when the Ac was adjusted there were condensation on the walls n floor of the room. The hot water didn't work in my room , so after take a cold shower you had to continue freezing in the room. The bathroom was dirty and there were no mats until the very last day of our stay. I didn't loose anything from my room but a friend suspected that someone had search through her things.
3. The resort itself if very big and has a lot of activities to do but after the second day I had gotten bored and the daily activities had become monotonous.the shows at night were the highlight of the day. It is a must see if you are staying in the hotel. The dancers are very friendly and they were very accommodating.
4.reception- had no problems with them but the language barrier became a little annoying after a while. They should have more bilingual workers since they have alot of trini visitors.
5.shopping-we went to the mall and the stores were pretty much empty. The flea market had better deals. Beware do not use your credit card . Use B's . If you use your credit card you will end up paying 5 times more for the item. You can check around the beach and the stores in the hotel for reasonable exchange rates.
transport- there are buses that will take you to tours but the taxis a reach cheaper. A lot of people said it would have been unsafe and scary but at no time did I feel unsafe in and out of the hotel.
Everyone seemed to be unconcerned with us.
At the end of the day I will not go back to magarita neither laguna mar. This place is not for me!! This was one of the worst vacations ever .there were even hours of delay at the
hotel. I will not advise anyone to spend their money to vacation here. Pay a little more and go to st Lucia or one of the other island

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Livi_Seu

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We travelled here for Christmas in 2012. I should have written this review sooner, since the "When did you travel" button only goes as far back as Feb 2013.Technically we travelled to Margarita Island and stayed in a different hotel called Costa Caribe, but this hotel was awful and we upgraded to this one.

I am Canadian and there are a few things you need to know about the area. Margarita Island is off the coast of Venezuela and during the holidays locals from the mainland come here to relax. This isn't a huge tourism area and it was sometimes difficult to find hotel staff that could speak English. Which is fine, it just added to our experience. There is a lovely beach near the property and there are small buses that even pick you up and drive you there although it is certainly walking distance. The beach here is very nice, but the waves are very rough and you will mostly likely not stay in the water very long. We spent most of our swimming in the pools and you certainly have a large selection of pools here. All of which are awesome.

There are two main hotel buildings for this resort, which mirror each other. It is obvious that one is newer than the other. If you explore the large property you can also find a third resort building, eating area, etc. that is all rundown. We thought it was kind of funny that they didn't tear it down, but this is something we learned later. We learned that demolition on Margarita Island is very expensive because there isn't an abundance of heavy machinery for construction on the island. It is very easy to find rundown hotels on the island; however our hotel building was well maintained and upscale.

The food here was great, the staff was very friendly (although the language barrier), the spa was well prices, and the pools and entertainment were of high quality. The nightly entertainment was every night at 9 and is mostly done in Spanish. One night they even performed the entire "The Little Mermaid" and although it was all done in Spanish, it was a great performance! Better than some local plays/musicals I have seen in Toronto.

For excursions we did horseback riding which was very romantic and relaxing. We also did a jeep excursion. I really liked this one too, but since you are standing up in the back of a jeep for half the day, my boyfriend got a headache and earache from all the wind, so he didn't like it and thought it would have been better if it was shorter. I liked it because you are practically able to see the entire coast and wave to a ton of locals on the street. Very friendly area.

Try to get out of the hotel and explore. We went to the large shopping mall in town to do some shopping, we also grabbed a bit to eat here as well. Most of the people working at the mall don't speak English either (again just fine with me). We went to a restaurant here which was amazing. couldn't understand the language so we randomly pointed to stuff on the menu and ended up with a chicken dish and a pasta dish with squid. Amazing food and good prices.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jessie V
Reviewed 19 November 2013

i went here for a wedding which was nice.
everything went wonderful for the newlyweds that day.

the hotel itself is starting to show a little age but you get a feeling of history while you are there.
hotel staff is very funny and can speak several different languages. i cant remember the 1 guys name but he spoke 8 different languages which is very impressive.

hotel room was spacious and beds were comfortable.

the food is excellent, always hot and full of flavor.

not sure if it was cause the time of the year i was there but lots of bugs everywhere, not the hotels fault but maybe they could have done something about them.

the beach was the best part. it goes on forever.
beach vendors were annoying at times, but actually made friends with some of them after getting them some free drinks from the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Champ S
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My Boyfriend and I stayed here several yrs ago for New years celebration. The entertainment and parties were great. BUT THATS all. The hotel was run down. We woke up in the mornings with red sores on our bodies. At first we didn't think much of it , we thought it was just mosquito bites. then we noticed it happened every morning...OMG thats when we realized the hotel had bed bugs. We really didnt like the place. The beach had black brown/ black hard sand and the water was extremely rough. Choose another Island !!!

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank J P
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I had the opportunity to travel to Margarita in August. It was a family vacation and so I requested connecting rooms. This was done and so I have no complaints about the room itself. It was clean the two beds were huge and that was a great plus since most hotels provide only a double size bed which I find is always so cramped when two people sharing. Other amenities in the room were obviously dated, it was clearly visible.
The lobby bar is very nice, the bartender was pleasant and created some awesome cocktails. Our Flight got in one hour later as most charter flights into Margarita normally do (delay that is) and so it was just to enjoy the latter part of the day. Dinner on this day was average and so could be said for the rest of the 4 night stay, it normally would consist of about 6 sides and two meats the two meats would have different preparation so it's four choices and small salad bar. I found this to be extremely limited but after paying so little I should expect that in return.
Over the rest of the stay we could safely say that the Tour operators give you enough warnings about the dangers of travelling via taxi and basically scares you into believing they are the only safe mode of transportation out and into the hotel not to mention the scary part about shopping and exchanging money, the cutting of hand bags etc. it's really a scare and be very careful while shopping friendly warning. $5.00USD per person is the cost of the return shared shuttle service provided into Porlamar with specific drop off/meeting areas and time. After realizing that I didn't like the time period I decided to hire a taxi and it cost a total of $3.00USD per direction for the same trip and that was for the entire taxi! I asked after for a night trip to the Diverland Amusement park which the tour operator advised of a $20.00USD per person rate to include return transfers and entry into the park. I went to a registered taxi asked them if I could get two taxis to take my family 6 people to and from the park was told it would be $3.00USD to go and $5.00USD to return per taxi the entry fee into the park was $7.00USD so a grand total was just under $10.00USD per person and I told the taxi to return for us at 9pm and as I exited the park at 902pm the taxis were waiting.
Tour operator gave a rate of exchange at $25Bs. to $1.00USD and in the town at a clothing store we got $30bs. to $1.00USD Shopping was excellent after calculating the exchange and if you want to buy quality there is definitely available.
Now back to the hotel. The blowing of the whistle at 5pm on the dot for everyone to vacate the pool with the water slide to me is considered regimented and annoying, the sun is still out people, and well the same procedure is adopted at the other pools. Two pools were closed while were there.
The beach is nice, there is a lot of surf on this beach bordering the hotel and well adequate beach chairs. Nice restaurant and Bar on the beach front, the restaurant you can get hamburgers, grilled meats, a few side options and salad bar with a soup. Food was good. The shuttle that runs throughout the hotel was reliable and easy to acquire.
The specialty restaurant would be the worst experience I would have at this hotel, it was Mexican and well let's just say after the longest wait to get food or drinks or service I got food poisoning. My 9 year old niece also became pretty sick during the stay with the food. Apart from my story I met some people that also got sick from the food at this hotel and on the way to the airport there were all so many more complaints that I heard from the rest of the chartered flight.

So overall I would say this is a getaway from the hustle and bustle of everyday life but it's not a 5 star resort not even a 4 star. It is a 3 star at best!
The spa is good and extremely inexpensive as compared to home. The nightly entertainment is wonderful and the compound is kept clean. The food is definitely the biggest downfall for this hotel, so once you decide on staying here just do not expect much at all!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Trvlagtamral
Reviewed 29 September 2013

There is so much wrong about this place I don't know where to begin. Black mold in the halls and stairways, standing water in the elevator shaft, a general moldy mustiness in the buildings. Unhealthy! My daughters' room had a bad moisture problem, wet tile floors, one daughter slipped and bruised her leg quite badly. Drinks were skimpy, if you dared to have a frozen "slushy" type drink, you'd see the bartender fishing flies out of your glass with a long spoon before handing it over to you! No smiles from any of the bartenders, ever. Food was ok sometimes, bad others. There were flies in the food and you would often encounter dead flies on your table when you arrived. Everything was enclosed, which made no sense to us. The pools were dirty and filmy and sometimes even green! The water slides - which was a selling feature in our case - was cool but both boys had tiny cuts in the bottoms of their feet when they came out. The length pool - which appealed to me - was closed all but two of the days we were there. I wanted to go home. The island is interesting, the best part was renting a car and leaving the hotel to explore the area. Avoid if you can, there are so many better places to visit for the same price or less!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TravelBabies2000
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Group of 35+ With my family- 3yr old, 9yr old, wife and grand parents (wife parents).

The last time I have been here was 7 yrs ago, boasted to a friend of mine from Toronto who decided to join me..... terribly disappointed... this place is runned down, not clean and seems like only NECESSARY renovations/touch ups are done.

Rooms-
First room- smelled of mildew, ceiling and bathroom had lots of mildew. Water in the rooms run brown, DARK MUDDY BROWN for about 3-5mins when you turn on the hot water- my kids refused to shower in it! Now I hate to say bed bugs, but I did awake with three red, itchy spots on my stomach area after sleeping in that filthy room! It's been 5 days since and it's still itching, and my google searches confirm my suspicion.
No towels provided, called we down to front desk and was told housekeeping would drop it off (took 2hrs).
Second room- finally got a new room, night of second day- the room was considerably better but still not up to standard (cleanliness).

Food-
Mexican rest was decent- 3stars. Buffet, EXTREMELY repetitive, thank God I was only there for 3 nights. The seem to think that all meats need to be cooked to a brick.... steak, fish, chicken, extremely dry and in some cases burnt! Dessert? three types- dry brownie chocolate cake, cookies and custard pie- DONE.

Show-
Amazingly great for the resort, they really go ALL out on putting on the show (no pun intended).

Facility-
Nobody seems to care, they built it and it should last.... but in reality it doesn't! Maintenance work needs to be done- they have a great potential here, I have seen this place in it's prime, but now... it's all gone.
Washroom- I am under the strong belief that they build a washroom and that's it.... nobody cleans it (well at least ALL the men's room I went to- Show, Lobby, Disco). For the THREE nights and four days the men's room was NEVER cleaned. The facility itself has been renovated and looks pretty new, but nope, NEVER cleaned. And it must be a cultural thing, but they seem to wipe themselves and through the toilet paper in a bin next to the toilet.... eeeekkk.
Bar areas- once again, never cleaned, the area is dirty and at one instance we notice one of the workers mixing the juice, tasted with a spoon and then returned the spoon to the juice, yuck man. Mas Cerveza after that....

Staff- most of the staff are very helpful and even more so after a tip, but some are VERY angry, not willing to make small talk or simply be nice to patrons. My friend was ordered to go to his room and order room service instead of giving the order directly to the woman at the bar who was taking the room service calls, and further more SHE schooled us in the meaning of the ENGLISH word "ROOM" service. These people are no longer friendly and clearly do NOT value patrons/tourists..

Beach- it was excellent, calm, no waves and crystal clear!

Pools- the pools shut down at 6pm (5.45pm) SHARP and the kick you out of the water. The water slides have lost their glossy finish and is very worn down so a trip down takes a while. I noticed the staff treating the pools with chemicals every evening.

Bar- the drinks are very basic and again I remind you of the individual that tasted the juice with his spoon and placed it back into the container.

Shopping- in the hotel gift shop prices were pretty reasonable. Outside of the hotel- I did not go because of warnings from other tourists, however people in our group did go but they said it was scary at times and you have to have you head on and be aware of the people around you....

Airport-
Arrival- it was pretty smooth, we cleared immigration and had to wait quite some time (30mins) for our luggage to be available. The airport toilet stunk!......
Departure- Apparently this place still lives in the 60's. Men and women are separated with their luggage in two lines, then called one at a time to place your luggage unto the scanner (done my soldiers). Upon passing this army check, you proceed to the check in counter where you pay the $560B's (or $85USD, yes cheaper to pay in B's) departure tax. Then onto the check-in counter. Then you are greeted by airport security check (who apparently don't like to just check one family at a time, they waited for other people to line up behind us before proceeding). Finally you are at the immigration counter where they take your departure card and check your passport AGAIN. Finally we got to the gate.
Shops in Airport- BUYER BEWARE! SO... my friend was in front of my at the cashier, on the side of the cashier are two-three solders just sitting there with snacks, drinks, etc. No problem, the must be on break. My friend puts here items onto the counter for the cashier to scan, 9 items, I heard a 10th beep/scan, the woman then types the amount onto a calculator and my friend pays, collect her items and change, then leaves. The cashier now is laughing with the 'soldiers' and passes them a soda. My antennas go up and realize that my friend just paid for these 'soldiers' treats. I act as though I forgot something and return to back of the line, only to discover that any tourist or non-Spanish speaking individual that cashes item is now paying for lollipops, candy, sodas, etc for the 'soldiers' sitting next to the cashier!!!! Was I about to say anything to the 'soldiers' and the cashier no, not risking my life, but I did tell my friend and some of the other patrons. It's not much they rip you off, but's it's the principle......

So my friends, if you are able to tolerate this type of place, then go! but if you have been to other places and realize that you can get much more for a little more money, then visit other places where you can get better service, food, drinks, accommodations, etc.

Room Tip: DO NOT take the room near to where the tram drops off passengers, drunk people yelling at night is n...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Neil S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pampatar
LIDOTEL Hotel Boutique Margarita
Maloka Hotel Boutique & Spa
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
#14 of 89 in Margarita Island

Been to Laguna Mar? Share your experiences!