“A magical setting and perfect base for exploring most parts of central Tuscany”

San Lorenzo a Linari
Ranked #9 of 13 Sovicille B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed in a duplex apartment (effectively the pool house) at San Lorenzo a Linari for five nights in late August 2013.

The hotel is housed in a beautiful old manor house set on high ground with pleasant views over the countryside south of Siena, while still being within a 15 minute drive or 30 minute brisk cycle to the city walls.

The room was very large, if dated in presentation - I gather the resort was developed in the late 1980s, and the fitout and furnishings reflects this, but without being in any way tatty or unserviceable. The bed was comfortable and storage space plentiful. There was no accessible wi-fi connection in the room, but, having had to spend a day working while on holiday, the beautiful main courtyard and colonnade (where a perfect signal was to be found) was a far more appealing space to spend time.

Breakfast, served outside, next to the pool, was fresh, generous and I found myself looking forward to it every morning.

The staff were all charming and helpful.

Overall, a fantastic place, whose minor shortfalls in terms of physical presentation were more than made up for by its overwhelming charm and the beautiful setting.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edward O
There are newer reviews for San Lorenzo a Linari

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We are traveling as a family with three children (13, 10 and 5). We were initially very excited about staying at this place, especially based on the website pictures. When we arrived (don't know how we would have found it without the provided GPS coordinates), we were greeted warmly by the man at the desk. He continued to be easy to work with throughout our 2 night stay. Our family room was a two bedroom apartment 'La Famiglia'. The apartment was adequate, although quite 'rustic'. We weren't happy with the layer of dust on the floors and table and had to ask for someone to come and give it a sweep and mop before settling in. We weren't too happy with one of the ladies who appeared to do this task when she told us this is 'normal' for this style of accommodation, and 'Are you sure you want to stay here?'. You can feel the springs of the beds just by running your hands across them. If you are staying in summer, beware - THERE IS NO AIR CONDITIONING. Just one noisy fan in the dining area, which we moved to one of the bedrooms. In the other room, we just had to sleep with the window open (no screens by the way). Only saw a couple of mosquitos/moths/spiders in the morning as a possible result of this. On the plus side, the grounds of this place is really what makes it. Don't spend time in the room, get out and enjoy the pool and gardens in the seating areas. Breakfast is by the pool until 10:30am, and is pretty basic (2 types of cereals, croissants, pastries, yoghurt, cold omelette squares, some sliced meat, juice and 1 free cappuccino). Siena is about 20mins drive away. There is not much in the way of dinner options in the immediate vicinity. You have to sit inside, or just outside, reception to get the wifi. A load of laundry costs 5euro, but a couple of the ladies were very helpful to me when I accidentally washed a white with a red (oops). Overall, a picturesque location, with a rustic feel. Has the potential to be great but just didn't hit the mark for us.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

The surroundings were great and also the house itself was beautiful. Nice swimming pool and friendly people. The hygene could be a lot better, dust everywhere, small spiders in the curtains... Small clean up, a bit restyling and I would go back there. Otherwise, no thanks...

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Kristofanne
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Pros.....

- Peaceful
- Beautiful
- No frills but comfortable enough
- Nice swimming pool area
- Breakfast is fine a usual continental in line with what other 3* hotels would offer
- Clean enough

Cons......

- Rooms could do with an update in saying this though they are good enough for a short stay
- There is no restaurant and everything is far away
- There is no real atmosphere to the place - everything is very quiet

In summary, you NEED a car and a Sat Nav to even fine this place but once you do it is a nice enough place to enjoy the hills. It is not quite as close to Siena as they would have you believe - probably a 20 minute drive away.

This is a no frills accommodation which suited us for a 2 night stay would I want to stay for 2 weeks - probably not...... There is nothing to do at night - there aren't even any staff around after 7.30. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it which is why I gave it an average score.

Room Tip: There are no lifts so choose a lower floor room should you need it..............
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2013

This hotel is really very nice and quiet place with great view to Tuscany hills. The buildings are 600 years old and the apartments are old fashioned and very nice. Good location for visiting Sienna and exploring Tuscany region. I'd like to spent more time here next time.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2012

We had a wonderful time in this area right outside Siena and would give San Lorenzo a 3.5 or so. There were some positives and some things that, for us, were.. less positive.

The Good:
- The grounds are lovely. And the views from there are spectacular. It's not a huge site but big enough to stroll for a little bit. The pool area looked nice but we were there in October so it was not pool weather (they closed it the second day we were there). And the buildings are very picturesque (as you'd expect in Tuscany).
- Having an apartment is great. This isn't the only place, of course, where you can rent an apartment but it's always a plus for us.
- The staff were very friendly and so helpful with recommendations for restaurants and towns to visit.
- The location is great to visit a number of towns in the area. Great base.

The Less Good:
- Lovely grounds - however, as another reviewer said, there seems to be a shortage of furniture out in the gardens to sit and enjoy for a bit. My husband and I ended up sitting at an outdoor table which probably belonged to another apartment.. but it didn't seem like the apt was occupied.
- The apartment was sparsely decorated. I'm a designer... and it needed a little help. This was definitely not a deal-breaker: the showers were hot and the bed was comfy!
- Unless you come with a big group who likes to bring back your own bottles of wine and drink them AFTER dinner.. I would highly recommend finding another place with a restaurant on-site or with a restaurant within walking distance. All of the restaurants we went to nearby were wonderful.. but.. since my husband had to drive back.. we could never completely relax and have as much wine as we'd like...
- There was not much of a common area - the bar and its attached "library" is very haphazard.. like an afterthought.. not a place where it would be comfortable to hang out for a while.

Some FYI's:
- The breakfast is a bit simple. But it was Italy.. I don't think it was much different from any other italian breakfast I've ever had. You won't get an omelet.. but they actually did have eggs one day! Bonus!
- The masseuse was a little hands-y. Must be a European thing.. because it wasn't just me.. my husband said the same. The "water path" was hilarious.. it was basically like a spa circuit with a sauna, steam room, "emotional shower"(??), jacuzzi and a shower in which you pull a cord and an entire bucket of cold water falls on you. It felt like we had reserved the spa for our private "water path".. but we weren't sure... it was awkward. But funny.

In short, this place was not perfect.. but it was nice.

Room Tip: - There's no elevator.. so if your room is up the many stairs.. you'll be carrying it! - If...
Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wakatrinka
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This B&B was fabulous. Very beautiful with modern updates. Breakfast was also very nice. My only complaint is the condition of the beds. They were hard as a rock! A friend of mine told me that they were no worse than any other B&B bed in Italy he had been to, so maybe I'm just too picky.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sovicille
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Hotel Borgo San Felice
Hotel Borgo San Felice
#2 of 8 in Castelnuovo Berardenga
Casa Di Campagna in Toscana

Been to San Lorenzo a Linari? Share your experiences!