Kumarakom Lake Resort (KLR) is definitely one of the best resorts to savor Kerala hospitality in luxurious and aesthetic surroundings. Here is a very long review sp go though it only if you have the patience
This was our second visit, the first being way back when they were trying to make a mark. But still they do value their old customers as we were pleasantly surprised to see that in the peak time on 30th Dec, we were upgraded to Heritage Private Pool Villas and I think I have Mr. Sanjeev to thank for this wonderful treat.
My review is not very critical as I obviously like this place, but still I would bring out points where they need improvement.
Service – If you are in a resort in Kerala and don’t get to sample their hospitality, you are obviously in the wrong place and KLR tops there for right reasons.
1. The people in their “Ettukettu, the multi-cuisine dining area” do a commendable job by making the breakfast experience smooth and caring. Many places we have been including Maldives, this area of the resort is where you would find indifferent and non caring staff, but maybe in KLR having the managers on floor keeps them on toes. Huge tip deserved by waiters here, hope they remain the same
2. On the day we were leaving, we requested one of the front desk folks to take a group snap and rather than just take one and leave he suggested few more places and happily indulged us, this being 31st morning when the lobby was jam packed by guests and he was multitasking well
3. They will make you feel special by their pleasantries any time of the day, by any member of the staff that you come across and by helping and tending to your requests any way they can.
4. My parents’ pool villa had only 2 feet water and although my mom was very happy with that not sure how they realized it and fixed it in a jiffy, because none of us had complained.
1. Pictures that are most common of KLR are meandering pool villas and they are expensive, but somehow I feel it’s good if you are in a big group so that you have family all around you, else heritage villas are much more private. The pools being a new addition (compared to when we came last time) aren’t wide but with enclosed high walls they give every bit of privacy and serve the purpose.
2. Love the outdoor bathroom and this shouldn’t be missed and sadly they aren’t available for the lowest priced luxury pavilion rooms although Jacuzzi part is still there
3. Heritage pool villas facing lake would be the best bet if you can overcome the pictures of meandering pool villas although the ones we stayed in were heritage villas with private pool and they were every bit worth it.
4. Rooms are cleaned twice I think and they add a nice touch of rose to your dressing gowns.
5. The architecture of the resort is aesthetic and beautiful, the villas are 150 years old and are usually assembled and that in itself is something. But as we haven’t stayed in other good properties around this area can’t compare exactly, but in pictures KLR looks better.
1. Breakfast was the best. Dosas and appams are must try even if you aren’t a great fan. Liked their cheese selections as well.
2. They need to improve on dessert selections and include more range of pastries.
3. Lunch was satisfactory though not comparable to many other places we have been, but seafood grill is good if you are a seafood fan.
4. Didn’t get a chance to try the specialty sea-food restaurant.
This is the only part where I feel loads of improvement is needed. We ended up comparing it to last time, when our crew was very enthusiastic and had given good guided tours all along the way till Allepey where they anchored. They had told us about the low-line houses, lower than sea levels which was a first time view and many people won’t realize this until you actually tell them. And this is worth taking a picture, when you see small houses lower than the sea-lake level that you are cruising on, beautiful paddy fields and waterways. We had stopped to talk to fisherman also last time and see how they threw nets and took some nice pics. Fishing was an experience as they had helped and fished along with us
But sadly the crew this time was very aloof, although every bit polite and smiling, but with a family trip, you want some involvement from them too as guides. Although with honey mooners I am sure this will work very well So, we played the guide for our parents and told them what we remembered from last time. On persistent try of my husband, we managed to catch a fish also, while fishing.
Food – this sucks as compared to resort except appams which is the only thing we enjoyed. Pulao also was good. The taste of lunch and dinner curries was same and not very great even though we had ordered enough variety in non-veg. A must improvement area as the houseboat experience doesn’t come cheap. If they send cooks, it should be well trained ones. Not sure how it backfired so badly. Coffee was definitely not filter and I feel cheated if I drink normal brew anywhere in a good resort this side of country.
Cleaning – Next morning, we had to ask them to sweep once as there were many insects and we all had not been carrying slippers and none were provided in houseboat. This should be a part of the cleanliness routine and not done when asked.
Anchoring – The place where they anchor is rubbish yard and this should be cleaned. I think it’s either guests or crew who dumps all rubbish there and at least someone should bring this to the notice of management to get this cleaned every now and then.
It would be good idea, though not sure what are the roadblocks, to buy this piece of land and make it a bit beautiful with some sitting arrangements or lights, so that when we anchor the time from 5.30 to 7 can be utilized in a good walk or just a nice place to sit. It seems like the anchor point is same all the time and there is one or two boat ride every day except maybe in monsoons.
We had thought of coming back and talking about this but the rainfall had played spoiled sport for the folks back at resort with their new-year celebrations and they were already very busy with getting all the arrangements transferred inside and spirits seemed low due to the same. So didn’t feel like troubling further.
But overall the houseboat experience is unique and different and to be enjoyed. This cannot match any sunset cruise or anything without anchoring in lake for the night. The houseboat in itself is very spacious and comfortable ( 2 comfortable bedrooms/bathrooms, dining area all with AC and an outside sitting deck) One suggestion is to have a mini library(few books and magazines is enough) as well along with DVD selection that is provided as evenings do tend to become a bit boring, although we enjoyed sitting on the deck and seeing the glittering moonlit water for some time. Apart from the improvement areas given above I strongly recommend spending money on this experience.
Just hope the management looks into these so as to make this experience value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kerala's leading resort by the side of famous Vembanadu lake, the largest backwaters of Kerala, located north of Kumarakom. An ideal backwater resort for honeymoon holidays, leisure holidays, family vacation, etc. All the villas are centrally air conditioned - There are 7 lake view heritage villa with plunge pools, 15 Heritage Garden view Villas with plunge pools, 26 meandering Pool Villas, 9 Luxury Pavillion Rooms with heated Jacuzzi, 2 Presidential Suite with private Pool and 4 Air conditioned House boats with 7 rooms. Air conditioned Conference hall with 85 Pax theatre style seating facility available. 100 seater restaurant with traditional Kerala architecture, 45 seater seafood restaurant with bar available. Kerala's traditional Ayurveda, Yoga, and backwater cruise facility available. The entire resort is Wi-Fi enabled. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kumarakom Lake Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kumarakom Lake Hotel Kumarakom
- Kumarakom Lake Resort Kerala