“Excellent Place To Stay”

Kumarakom Lake Resort
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Kumarakom
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Kumarakkom Lake Resort - A Paradise true to its tag line. I am only just back from the trip to the resort with my husband, fresh as dew. I wanted to write the review while I was there at the resort, but out of pure lack of time (since I was engulfed by the sweetness of the place) and out of sheer laziness (brought about by awesome surroundings, mouth-watering food & having my husband all to myself away from the hustle & bustle of normal life), I felt I would not be able to do justice to the review if I wrote it while at KLR

I thank God for having found us this resort (in His own country). It was pure luck & by chance that we landed into KLR's website :) I must say my husband has a beautiful taste when it comes to choosing & picking artful things (including me). Mr.Mani from the admin office at Chennai was truly accomodative in getting us the right package and itinerary for our three day trip

The resort has been built on the beautiful banks of the Vembanad lake - a traditional yet classic set up, with a picturesque & aesthetic touch to it. When you walk into the resort, you feel you have just walked into a page out of a fairytale book. The reception area is exteremly well maintained with smiling hosts, enough number of relaxation seaters & 'aattukattil' (lengthy swings) that can be found only in grandparents' houses. You can catch your first glimpse of the lake and you fall in love instantaneously with the place.

The staff take you around and let you explore pottery making, mat weaving, the souvenir shop and the restaurant. We had a short tour and sat back in the beautiful lawn (also, the place for tea-time snacks) to engulf the complete beauty of the place.

The rooms are just beyond imagination - a perfect blend of tradition with the modern amenities. We stayed in the Private Pool Villa for the first day and the Meandering Pool Villa on the second day. We planned it this way since we wanted to have a taste of both the views. The private pool villa is just perfect for honeymooners and couples!The room spells 'Romance' with just the right kind of lighting, the ambience and I could actually take in the fragrance of love! Kudos guys, for having maintained the rooms so so well. Since my husband is a TV-buff, he loved staying in the cosy room with a pool by your side, insects chirping in the neighbourhood, food brought in by excellent room-service (customized to suit your taste), and watching TV without a care in the world! As for me, I loved nothing more than sitting in the pool all day and watching TV alongside! Being a poor swimmer, I often do not get a chance to enjoy water places - but, on the wonderful pools, even an infant can spend time happily and safely!

Coming to the food - The complimentary breakfast spread is a royal feast and sets your taste buds asking for more! The lunch and dinner buffets are slightly expensive (including the taxes and stuff), but there are umpteen varieties in the Ala Carte menu which spoil you for choices. The chef is really a master of his own! He twists and tosses the spices and puts them in the dishes that go straight to your tummy & heart - and you end up eating more (and getting worried about the kilos you are eventually going to put up :P)

The sunset cruise was thoroughly enjoyable - the sweet beat of little waves on the river, tiny raindrops, a band playing music that brings tranquility & the resort seeming like a palace shimmering with little lights as you come back to it! After the sunset cruise, the walk around the resort was just fantastic - tiny lights all around the pools, happy people & merry-making children.

I would love the congratulate the entire team of KLR for their hospitality. If I could take names, I want to thank Binoy - for being so friendly, sportive. He just brings so much cheer to all the guests! Way to go, Binoy - we are sure you'll be a superstar in the coming years. Very lovely young ladies - Adhira, Vinu who never forget their smile or sincerity, no matter how many times we troubled them for food and dine! Thank you charming gals - you are gonna have beautiful lives ahad :) I also forgot the name of the gentleman who served our first lunch in the resort (a calm, composed & sincere gentleman) and the beautiful lady who showed us to our rooms, again, on the first day! Once more, amazing job guys, and keep up the good work!

If I need a reason to whine, it would be about the slower check-in procedure (of course, this only adds to your impatience to get to your room and have a view of the pool), but you guys could improve a bit on the check-out & check-in times! Also, unfortunately for us, the TVs in both the rooms we stayed were faulty & we had to get the service engineer to work on it (of course, he landed on dot to get the TV replaced)

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the break - to rest & relax in nature's lap & under KLR's nurture! I would love to see you guys do the amazing job always. My best wishes, and I felrt really bad that I could stay only a short duration in your beautiful landscape. I am coming back, really soon! God Bless!!!!

Cheers
Aadi & Sharan

Room Tip: The meandering villa & the lake facing private pool villa
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sanjay V, Manager at Kumarakom Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort!!!

We would like to thank you for sparing your valuable time in giving us your detailed feedback.We are pleased to know you had a memorable stay with us. As rightly put by your good self , We want our guests to experience the feel of a traditional Kerala house with a little modern luxuries.We have also noted the shortfalls and shall work towards improving the same.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back at Kumarakom Lake Resort.

Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,828)

Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

I have stay there on 18 aug 2014, I have booked duplex cottage with pool. D view was osum and the location was superb but d bad things is the lack of cleanliness. Lots of mosquitoes in d room although they have put 2 mosquitoes jets but they are not quit enough. 2nd the buffe hall has a open lake canal which smells badly. Food quality is good but d taste & menu is Average.

Stayed: August 2014

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort!!!

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay with us and sparing your valuable time in giving us your feedback.

In your feedback we notice that there are certain areas that have scope for improvement. Please be assured that the feedback given by you is being looked into. We are grateful to you for sharing your experiences so that we could make necessary amends at our end to provide you with excellent services to all our guests . We apologize for the inconveniences caused and assure you the best for the future.

Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to having you back at Kumarakom Lake Resort.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Totally Under whelmed.

Setting wonderful,staff excellent, beds super comfortable and housekeeping excellent.However the
dining experience was poor,the main dining room resembled a cafeteria and not what one would expect from a five star hotel. I suspect the hotel is trying to cater for too many nationalities. South Indian food very disappointing. After two days we chose to dine elsewhere .
Only five star hotel in Kerala that we stayed in where we had to pay for WiFi .

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Sanjay V, Manager at Kumarakom Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort!!!

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay with us and sparing your valuable time for giving us the feedback.

In your feedback we notice that there are certain areas that have scope for improvement. We have taken note of the same. We shall definitely try to amend the same. We are grateful to you for sharing your experiences with regards to the dining option and i sincerely hope you have expressed the same to our colleagues in the restaurant . We do go out of our way to cater to all the guests with their requirements .We apologize for the inconveniences caused and assure you the best for the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We visited Kumarakom Lake Resort in July 2009 and stayed at the Heritage Villa with private pool. It was perfect for two adults and two children aged 8 and 6 years. The service was impeccable. We loved the traditional food served in five-star surroundings.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Naresh_Karani

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort!!!

We would like to thank you for remembering us and sparing your valuable time in giving us your feedback. It is positive feedback from our guests like you who inspire us in our pursuit for service excellence.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

we had reserved the heritage villa overlooking the lake. the villa comes with a private plunge pool. the property is by far one of the most beautiful properties i have visited. the staff is excellent. the service was excellent. in fact in one of our dinners since we had some complaints about the food the chef personally came out to attend to us and prepared the meal exactly to our liking. the personal care and attention by each and every member of the staff was impressive. i had a very good experience.

we also went for a night stay on the house boat. the experience was outstanding. the house boat comes with 2 drivers and a chef. the meals cooked on the house boat were excellent.

overall i had a lovely experience.

Room Tip: choose the rooms with the lake view
2  Thank deeptipanda19

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort!!!

We would like to thank you for sparing your valuable time in giving us your feedback. We are glad to know that you had a comfortable stay with us . Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Please go and see this resort to believe it. An excellent resort. The people were amazing and the people made the difference. The architecture was like telling a story of past. Will love to back in the early part of the year.

Room Tip: My room was excellent. By the pool.

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort!!!

We would like to thank you for sparing your valuable time in giving us your feedback. We are happy to know that you had a comfortable stay with us.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We went to this hotel at the end of July to August. The weather let us down as it just rained.
There was 14 of us with family and friends,after coming from kochi airport it took us 2 hours to reach the hotel. We was greated with a traditional bindi and fresh coconut drinks. After we had checked in when went to or rooms, ours was 130. A room with a pool outside, the pictures on there website make the rooms look big. Which in my opinion was not. I wasn't very happy when I looked in the bath room, there is a great big step which was tricky for or kids to step in and out of the bath room. Which did not have a roof!! There was a lot of Mosquitos! And us being from England worried about malaria for us and or kids.i asked the hotel if they could do anything about it which was a shower curtain, which I suppose was all they could do.when we showered we kept a close eye on the wall to make sure no one was peeping over as staff walked across the bridge to there staff room.They supplied a plug in which does nothing. And they smoke the areas twice a day. It's a bit Hard to shower when its raining to. The hotel supplied all that is needed, shampoos, razor,comb, etc.. As well as 2 complementary bottles of water daily. The staff was constantly working to keep floors clean, when the rain was around as well as handing out umbrellas. Which they also kept outside or room. Breakfast was unusal from any continental I have known in india, there was more Indian hot food than continental, they had a small selection of pastries, they had chicken sausages/baked beans/rosemary potatoes/tomatoes. (for a English brekkie) aswell as freshly made omelets eggs of any choice, as well as 3 different types of eggs quail, chicken, duck.
The tea was to die for. In the afternoon they had complementary chai and snacks which changed daily. From dal vada, coconut and rice balls (not sure what they was called) and banana fritters. Which u saw the chef make who was only to happy to come over and ask if you needed anything more, very friendly. Staff in the restaurant was also good. Helping us with or strange requests for cornflakes for dinner! ( 1 fussy child)the food was very nice a bit basic for the currys, they have a great kids menu, as well as continental for lunch and dinner.
In the hotel they had a lot to offer from pottery class where you choose a pot u would like to make and have a man help you to make. Which I am sure if it drys in time for your leaving you can take home. As well as a basket weaving to practise to, or daughter (6) mastered how to make a coaster. Which she could take home. They have yoga in the early morning to.
The swimming pool from the rooms was clean I suppose. Me and Afew of us went down with colds as well as sore eyes and ears which I assume is from the pool. (which the noisy frogs like to swim in at night!) didn't go in after that. Staff had floats and rings for you to use. There shop there was very expensive! (And happy kept about of the karma sutra on low shelf for or 6 yr old to flick though I was horrified! Be warned) the whole hotel was kept impeccably clean considering the rain. We went on the afternoon boat to see the sun set which didn't though clouds you had to pay for these. We also went on the boat cruise for 3 /4 hours and had dinner on the boat where you chose your meal before you went. It was quiet costly. They have a pool table and a slide and see saw for kids to play to. In the hotel. I would go again to this hotel although there are a lot in the area that need exploring to.

Room Tip: The rooms which lead out to the pool might have no roof in the bath room, which isn't good for b...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Greetings from Kumarakom Lake Resort!!!

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay with us and sparing your valuable time for giving us your feedback.

With regard to your feedback we notice that there are certain areas that have scope for improvement. The rooms are designed as a typical Kerala House . There are thresh holds on each door. The breakfast buffet consists of North Indian , South Indian and Continental dishes.The Swimming pool is cleaned daily . Your suggestion regarding placement of certain books for sale has been taken care of . Please be assured that the feedback given by you is being looked into. We are grateful to you for sharing your experiences so that we could make necessary amends at our end to provide you with excellent services to all our guests . We apologize for the inconveniences caused and assure you the best for the future.