“The trains! The trains!”

Bayview Wildwood Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Severn Bridge
Markham, Canada
“The trains! The trains!”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Let me start by saying staff are awesome! Friendly, helpful, attentive... What you expect for the $$$ you are paying to stay there. Food is above average (comparing it to Delawana which was below average). Beds... If you are accustomed to sleeping on a high-end bed like a Tempurpedic etc... Body is in for a shock. Sleepless night... Now this was not helped by the trains rolling thru in the middle of the night so beware. Nothing the resort can do about that, but for the hard-earned $$ I'm spending, a pillow-top mattress would have been nice. Activities, lot's to do so easy to keep yourself busy. My son and I made good use of the bass boat, didn't help us catch anything though :) as this was our first visit it has been pleasant. Nothing outstanding that would bring me back again however. In fact we were on a getaway and with the occupancy at 50% (which was only revealed after we arrived) we considered staying an additional night. Spoke to the front desk and no incentive offered so we decided to spend our extra night elsewhere.

1 Thank Brian M
Dianne2338, General Manager at Bayview Wildwood Resort, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Hello Brian M,

Thank you for visiting our resort this past summer.

We are happy that you enjoyed our staff, the food, activities and fishing in the bass boat - except the fish didn't cooperate!

It is too bad that you felt the cost of the extra night was not giving you the value you were looking for. It is certainly our loss that you decided to go elsewhere.

I hope you will visit us again in the future,

All the best in 2014,

Dianne Hounsome

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
London, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Just spent a week in August 2013... 6 adults, children ages 8/4/2. Third year there & can hardly wait for next year. Food is exceptionally good & varied & suitable to all diets(we had a vegan/non dairy child who brought nuts with her } Facilities are superb.. kayaks/paddle boards/sandy beach/ volleyball/tennis/ indoor & outdoor pools & hot tubs + lake etc. A true family resort with caring staff. Thank you BW for another great vacation with our family from Ontario & British Columbia.

Room Tip: Sparrow View is close to all amenities
Hi Lynn R,

We are so glad that you and your family group (from Ontario and BC) had such a great vacation this past summer and the two summers previous to that.

We are very thankful that we have so many guests who return year after year. It becomes a tradition and I know of many families who make lasting friendships (even marriages) with other guests in their same vacation week.

I wish you and your whole family a safe and Happy New Year! See you this upcoming summer...

Reviewed 16 August 2013

My husband and I have stayed at bayview wildwood 6 or 7 times, the first being about 20 years ago. Our most recent stay was fall of 2011, taking advantage of the Tuesday free promotion with meals included and it was definitely a good stay.
While there isn't programs available on off season there was still enough to keep us occupied and we still had plenty of relax time. We made use of the pool, spent some time walking on the trails or nearby and we still had use of the bikes even though it was so late in the season. Chairs were still out by the water and although it was a little chilly, sitting by the beautiful lake with a blanket was really wonderful.
The meals were fantastic and service was good. The breakfast buffet was out of this world. So much food, well prepared and always hot, huge variety, no way could you leave that room hungry. On the food side, dinner was also really excellent. One thing that really did bother me though was the menu. There seemed to be a lot of confusion over who was staying at the resort and who was there just for dinner. We had stayed there for three nights and the dinner menu was exactly the same all three nights with only four selections. And I did have the same thing three nights, partially because it was really delicious, but the other three selections didn't excite me. Although my stay was definitely a positive experience, that would be a deterrent to my returning.
Other than the limited menu, the only negatives i would say, the tv channel situation is okay but having a DVD player in room like some other resorts would be greatly appreciated. It is an expense for sure, but especially when you go off season, it would be huge asset. Also, the coffee machine available across from the office rarely had coffee available.
As for the trains situation that so many people have a problem with, I get that to some it would be a huge down side, especially if they didn't know before going there. i love the sound of a train, find them strangely comforting and it isn't a negative to me. Also it is a quaint part if history and it obviously is not anything the resort can change but should maybe make people aware.
All in all though, definitely a good stay and worth the money.

• Stayed October 2012
Hi 61Maggie,

First of all, thank you so much for continuing to visit our resort. We truly appreciate our guests who return to the resort in all seasons.

Judging by your comments about the food menu, I believe you were here during our "Flavours of Lake Country" promotion. This is offered for a couple of weeks in the Spring and Fall to our guests and the local area. It is a specially priced menu that encourages people to try different restaurants in the local area for a great price in the off-season. I am so sorry that you received the same menu each day - this is not our usual practice.

Please come visit us again in the future and we will make sure that you will receive the same quality of dining but with more choices!

All the best and Happy New Year!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 4 days and had a great time. We were not on meal plan. They had BBQ's and full kitchen in our cottage. We didn't have much interaction with staff, however when we did they were pleasant to deal with. Only surprise was check out no one asked how our stay was. We will return for sure!

• Stayed August 2013
Hi barry c,

We are very happy that you enjoyed your 4-day stay this past August at our resort. Our self-catering cottages work quite well for folks who wish to have lots of space and flexible dining.

You have stated that you will return - that would be great - we would love to host you again. Next time, I hope my staff remember to ask you "how was your stay"!

All the best in the new year,

Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Was there with my wife and three kids (boy 8, girl 10, boy 12). Stayed the night before in Toronto, and it was an easy, less-than-two-hour drive from there. The weather wasn't great, but the kids didn't care . . . there are enough amenities to keep them occupied rain or shine: lake with canoes and kayaks, bikes, fishing, outdoor pool with hot-tub, indoor pool, game room (ping pong, etc.), basketball/squash courts, staff-run activities and more. The food was great - lots of variety for picky eaters and yummy menu choices for the grown-ups at dinner; a nice touch is your family gets the same table for each meal. I'll confess this was my first all-inclusive trip . . . and I'm sure there are hundreds of places like this in the U.S. and Canada . . . but this resort is really - for lack of a better word - sweet, well-run and the staff seem to want to be there. Only minor quibbles: spotty wifi in the room (much better in the lobby area, and who needs it when you're on this kind of vacation?) and understand that the day programs can't be spot-on for kids of all ages; meaning, my daughter loved the Jam Sandwich drama show one morning, but my sons - who can't imagine an earth without Minecraft (videogame) - would rather have been doing something else. We've already booked our trip there for next summer, if that's any indication of our feelings about the place.

Hi DanMP68,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your summer vacation at our resort. I am truly glad that your first summer vacation with us was a good one and that you are going to return this upcoming summer.

When you were talking about your kids and how one loved Jam Sandwich and the boys just wanted to play video games - you really summed up our Kids Camp challenges! I hope the Sports/Outdoors camp will be exciting for your boys next summer. It sounds like the Arts/Drama camp would be good for your daughter. You can tell your sons that we now have X-Box and Playstation Video consoles in our games room. I am not sure if this will make you happy but I think the boys will like it!

I wish you and your family a safe and happy New Year and we look forward to seeing you again this upcoming summer,

Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had a wonderful experience in this cottage - although we had to cut it short due to power outrage and no water. Many thanks to Christie and her staff for making us comfortable in these odd conditions. Christie is an awesome manager - and so is Chris, the young by who took us on a boat ride!! Thanks to both of you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
London, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My wife and I took a chance on this resort in October of 2011 when I picked up a Travel Jaunt coupon.
I try to get in a 3 to 4 day break in October just before the crazy Christmas rush so what I was looking for was a quiet, peaceful getaway on the water and out of the way.
And I totally got what I was looking for.
We were extremely fortunate with sunny weather and good temps for that time of year, and were able to do a walking tour, a lake boat ride, explored the trails, have a snooze on the beach, and just totally let go.
Our room had all the amenities required so that we could fend for ourselves for our breakfast and lunch, but dinner time was an absolute treat in their fine dining area overlooking the lake. The night time meals were fantastic. Lunches were soup in a cup from the lobby, which was just fine with me.
We like it so much, we extended our stay after the coupon stay another night, and went back in 2012.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike C
Dianne2338, General Manager at Bayview Wildwood Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Hi Mike C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your resort experience from your October 2011 and October 2012 visits. When our guests extend their stay, we know that we are doing something right!

The fall is such a beautiful time of year here. Crisp sunny days that, as you know, are perfect for hiking, boating or relaxing on a Muskoka Chair on the beach. I am happy that the weather cooperated and you could experience these activities.

I hope that you schedule a return visit with us this year!

All the best and enjoy your summer,

Dianne.
#2 of 3 in Port Carling
Stone Gate Inn
Stone Gate Inn
#1 of 14 in Orillia

Been to Bayview Wildwood Resort? Share your experiences!