“UGH”

Paradise Holiday Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bagamoyo
Paradise Holiday Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bagamoyo
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I tried, I really tried, to like this hotel -- since I was in Bagamoyo for work and they booked me here -- but I have to say I hated it.

I've been trying to figure out why. Basically it is a mid-level Holiday Inn type place stuck in the middle of Tanzania. The property is long and narrow, and the rooms are in two-story buildings which have no sea view or indeed no view of anything except the parking lot. The pool is likewise surrounded by concrete.

The check-in staff are very chilly -- I actually asked them why they don't smile and just got a shrug. I guess it is the antiseptic dullness of the place that gets to them. The beach is a downer -- there are guys trying to sell you stuff and the tides are hectic, so for most of the day you can't really swim at all. On a Saturday afternoon, presumably their peak period, they decided to revamp one of the outdoor spaces with bandsaws and hammering for hour after hour. No the way to enjoy the beach.

The restaurant is standard-issue convention hotel fare. The staff there were nice, but the food really starch heavy and all buffet style.

I agree with the earlier reviewer that the place is WAY overpriced. The room was big and clean, and air conditioned, which perhaps in hotter months would be a big advantage. But it could have been anywhere.

So -- no stars. After work was finished I checked out and fled to the Lazy Lagoon (top rated on this site) nearby...which was a totally different world. Empty beaches, cool ambience, and CHEAPER unbelievably - even with full board thrown in.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Andrew Q
Reviewed 13 March 2008

Room rates have rocketed in the past year, I suspect due in part to their catering to business and conference (i.e. expense budget) clientele. (Friends paid $75 for a luxury room in 10/07; our mid-level room was $135 in 1/08.) Also, they do NOT take credit cards.

The room wouldn't have been worth it even at the $75 rate. Frankly, we were astonished at how a hotel in a town with so little functioning infrastructure can demand Western world prices, but perhaps it helps that Bagamoyo is President Kikwete's hometown.

The room was coldly antiseptic and the water pressure was consistently bad but at 8:30 a.m. they emptied the water tanks on top of our building, leaving us with no hot water. Who in their right mind chooses that time of day to perform regular maintenance on water tanks??

The restaurant food is so-so...again, the business crowd won't care too much. During our several weeks in Bagamoyo, we returned to the restaurant simply because we became tired of the other limited dining options in town.

Yes, the photo makes it look nice, but the beach is bordered by a mangrove swamp to the north. Perhaps this is why they have cultivated a pleasant garden and pool environment on site; you really won't want to swim in the ocean adjacent to the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Kelly5612