“Relaxing days on a beautiful island”
Review of Lazy Lagoon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bagamoyo
Lazy Lagoon
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bagamoyo
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We had three very happy days at Lazy Lagoon, rounding off an enjoyable week at safari lodges in Selous and Ruaha. Sleeping in a "banda" right at the water's edge and waking up to the sight of the Indian Ocean with little sailing dhows (ngalawas) passing by was magical. It was fun paddling along the lagoon side of the island in a kayak and exploring the mangroves. Watch out for strong currents when swimming at certain states of the tide.The food was good, with lots of local fish, but a non-fish option available. Judy and the guys were great, doing everything to make sure we felt "at home" and welcomed.

I was very glad I wasn't influenced by the critical comments of some other reviewers. I guess they were looking for a different type of holiday. It is true that the meals are at fixed times and that there is only electrical power for two periods in the day. It is rather like a game lodge in that respect. However, for us it was an enjoyable part of the experience, and of getting away from it all. There are many hotels with constant electrical power, internet access, meeting rooms, business centres and 24 hour room service, and when I'm travelling with work I'm very pleased to have all these things. But Lazy Lagoon is for holidays. Personally, when I next stay in a hotel and I don't have to take my shoes and socks off and paddle across golden sand through tropical seas into a boat waiting to take me across to the hotel's private island, I will long for that very special arrival at Lazy Lagoon.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 September 2012

We stayed at Lazy Lagoon after a 3 week safari. It was wonderful! I have read some of the reviews that are critical and I must say that it sounds as if the guests did not do their homework. If they had, they would have known that you have to take a boat and get your feet wet in the process (I had my water shoes in my back pack). They also would have known that the electricity is on from 6:30 to 10:30 pm. It is part of being able to "get away from it all." We also found the food to be very good safari type food. In fact, having a choice of 2 entrees was terrific. One entree was always local fish, so you know that it was really fresh. We had no problem with Karen and enjoyed chatting with her when we would come to the dining banda. And, the staff was excellent.

Lazy Lagoon is a tented camp. It is not a full service 5 star hotel. You need to appreciate that means that there will not be every possible resort type amenity available to you. We thought it was great. We sat on our porch looking at the Indian Ocean and the white sand beach, reading and relaxing. In the early morning, we would watch the local fishing boats go out as the sun rose. For us, it was the perfect way to spend a few days after being on safari. After 2 previous safaris, we had gone to Zanzibar to relax. We much prefer Lazy Lagoon.

Room Tip: We were in tent #6 and I might have preferred one closer to the dining banda. However, for breakfast...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We had the most wonderful stay at Lazy Lagoon (August 11/12th) as a party of four adults and two kids. The atmosphere was totally relaxed, the meals and drink absolutely delicious, and sleeping in the bandas on the beach with the sound of the waves crashing nearby was an experience not to be missed. Judy was the perfect hostess, attentive to all our needs, and very charming with the children. The staff were friendly and polite at all times, while the dog, cats and guinea fowl provided lots of entertainment - I've never seen such a chilled-out set of animals! Reading, strolling on the sandy/rocky beach, swimming and sea kayaking were the main activities during our stay, interspersed with a lot of eating and drinking - all-in-all, a perfect holiday getaway! Thank you Judy, we'll definitely be back again....

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This resort has the potential to be outstanding as the bar/restaurant are is very nice, the bandas are "rustic" but clean and well situated for privacy and face onto the ocean. The pool area is OK but could do with a few loungers/shade umbrellas. The food is slightly better than average but there is only a choice of two dishes. One of our party is a vegetarian and fo rlunch she got our meal without the fish. By the way, the manager told us when we arrived that she had just ordered the fish for us all for lunch as she didn't know that when we were arriving despite telling her in out confimation that we would be there for lunch and ringing 45 minutes before to ask her to send the boat to collect us... This lady made me feel that everything was such a hassle for her. I felt that she kept using "Africa" as an excuse for things not working and not being quite up to scratch. All our party LIVE in Dar es Salaam- it was a weekend away so this didn't work quite a s well on us as in might on someone there for a holiday! The real drawback is that ALL the lights go out at 10.30pm and after that you are in the PITCH DARK (torch provided in the room)so too bad if you want to sit up and chat or even read in bed. It also makes the evening seem a bit rushed as ther is pressure to get back in time. All in all I felt a little bit like I was at a very nicely situated boarding school and for $120 per person per first night/$105 next night (incidentally I was quoted a different price in June 2012) I wouldn't go back there when there are so mant other nicer places around Dar.

Room Tip: Lower numbers are nearer the main area. We were in 8 which is a bit of a trek away
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank vixky
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I recently was in East Africa and made a trip to Tanzania to visit a friend who is a peace corps volunteer there. We wanted some beach time, and we lucked out finding the Lazy Lagoon! I was so impressed with the staff and especially, Judy, the manager! We felt like family from the moment we arrived. Thank you so much for the wonderful hospitality and for making our week together one to remember! We could not have asked for a better "best friend vacation!"

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My family and I had a wonderful weekend at Lazy Lagoon. The weather was perfect and the meals were absolutely delicious. Judy’s lemon meringue pie was to die for! I would highly recommend this place for a great, quiet getaway. Thank you so much Judy for the wonderful hospitality!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank NomadicGrl
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Spent 3 nights at the Lazy Lagoon. Tried to walk around the island but the island beat us. If you're lucky Minou the dog will adopt you and sleep outside each night to guard you, he will also come for walks with you. He never pesters and does not become a nuisance at meal times. Judy is simply the best hostess ever. The resort I would describe as shabby chic. It is more than adequate. The food and sevice were excellent . I would strongly recomment the resort to anybody that simply wants to chill out in beautiful surroundings. Be aware however that there is no electricity after 2230hrs and no fans or air conditioning, so it can get hot at night. - didn't bother us though. Thankyou very much Judy for a job very well done.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank richard m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagamoyo
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar - Stone Town
Family Cottage
#7 of 18 in Bagamoyo
0 mi away
Millennium Sea Breeze Resort

Been to Lazy Lagoon? Share your experiences!