“Very nice place to stay. Will DEFINATELY stay here again” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nyumbani Hotel

Nyumbani Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mwanza
Nyumbani Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Mwanza
“Very nice place to stay. Will DEFINATELY stay here again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I moved here FROM the Tilapia, and I'm glad I did. The friendliness and attention of the staff are 100% better, and the manager even greeted me without having to be summoned for a complaint !
The food was good and rooms very comfortable, a bit on the small side if there were 2 in the room, but for a short term it's not an issue. Nice hot shower and good facilities. They arranged taxis to take me and pick me up later when I went out, got me local SIM card and registered it and gave me a proper exchange rate for the dollars I changed !
Will DEFINATELY stay here the next time I'm in town

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Richard S

Families
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Nyeri, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

I spent a night at the Nyumbani hotel and resort in Mwanza's CBD and everything form the service, food, room (wish they were larger), design was excellent. It provides a captivating view of L.Victoria and the entire city either from the rooms on the 7th flr or from the swimming on the 9th flr.

I'll certainly be back soon!

Room Tip: Choose those to the west end if you wnat to see the expanse of the lake & those to the east for...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
1 Thank wamae
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

My husband and I stayed at Nyumbani Hotel in Mwanza after a couple of weeks of heavy bus travel. It was like a dream. (I laughed when I saw the logo, "they nyumbani of your dreams" but have now come to joke about how accurate that is). The rooms were very clean. The showers were always hot, and the water pressure was very good. We also had air conditioning. We stayed in a standard room, and even though we are wazungu, they charged us the same price that they charge for locals. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, particularly the manager and the head chef. We went for a walk to the New Mwanza Hotel and the Gold Crest Hotel just to check them out, and they were not as nice looking, yet a lot more expensive! Also, just outside of those two hotels is one of the worst places in the city for being hassled by touts. We much preferred the peace and convenience of being just two blocks down the road. Also, we visited Tilapia for lunch and a meeting and had a very annoying encounter there. In Mwanza, the taxis are not marked with a stripe as they are in Dar, so it is difficult to know for sure if you are going with a registered taxi or not. After lunch, the person at the Tilapia's front desk told us that they don't even supply hotel taxis to their residents, just a hotel shuttle to the airport. You are supposed to just use one of the random cars outside the gate. I said, but how do we even know they are really taxis? And the person at the Tilapia's front desk replied with a shrug, yeah there is no way to tell. Then someone there offered to help us by walking us to the gate and making sure we went with a taxi driver that he knew. I asked him in Swahili as we approached the car, Ok, what is this driver's name? He looked at the driver and asked him his name in front of me. Then he said, see his name is John. I said, yes, but you don't know him. Finally, he had to admit he didn't know him! Mwanza is not a city that is particularly geared for foreigners, but of all hotels, I was told Tilapia was good about that. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case. Don't pay the extra money to stay there. We declined the ride and turned around and called our driver from Nyumbani who was there within 5 or 10 minutes. Save yourself a lot of headaches and stay at Nyumbani. It is cheaper AND nicer than nearby hotels!

Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank TZtraveler_11
Indiana, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

My wife and I have stayed at Nyumbani a couple times. Overall, we've been pleased. It has a guarded, underground garage. It's in a great location for access to town, food, or the waterfront area. Lakeside rooms have a great view, even though it's not located directly next to Lake Victoria. The Deluxe rooms we've stayed in (95,000 Tanzanian shillings per night) have had beds which are on the harder side, which my wife and I have different feelings about. The AC works great and there's a nice TV with many channels, making the rooms a comfortable place to spend time. Some of the rooms are a bit smoky, but not too bad. The rooftop pool is tiny and located next to a bar with seating areas, but it's fairly deep and refreshing. Breakfast is good. Service is certainly acceptable. And the price is much more affordable than other local options with comparable facilities. Eat dinner at the Tilapia Hotel down the road, but stay at Nyumbani!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple