“Take A Ride on the Wild side”

Bavarian Horse Riding Stables
Ranked #3 of 11 Outdoor Activities in Sami
Reviewed 28 September 2012

One of the highlights of our trip to Cafeloina was to visit and experience horse riding in the mountains. My wife and I are both novices. To begin with, I was a little anxious about riding as I have never ridden before. Conny takes time to get to know her customers and makes them feel welcomed and at home with the horse. She taught us to relax and not to be tense as we sat on our saddle. Her horses seemed comfortable and relaxed with us. Conny then took us to the mountains where we saw some breathtaking views of Sami.

Conny has about 15 horses. She also takes in abandoned dogs and cats. The horses are well groomed. It was interesting to watch the dynamics between dogs and horses, some harmony, some power posturing.

I recommend a visit to Conny’s horse riding stable and take a ride on the wild side. You’ll love the experience. For an hour’s ride it will cost €20 pp. and €30 pp. for 1 ½ hours ride

Taxi fare is between €7-10. Nina the receptionist at Hotel Pericles told us that it should not cost more than €7 as it is about 3 kilometres to the stables. When we ordered a taxi to take us there, the taxi driver wanted to charge us €10 and he complained all the way and he finally charged us €8. Instead of dropping us off at the Stable, he dropped us at the side of the main road and we walked 200m to the stable from the main road. Just make sure you ask the taxi driver how much it will cost before paying too much.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Dont know how Helen PD012 can write a review from the outside, yes Connie does raise her voice when she has to, normally when people are not following her instructions regarding her horses, she has taken 20 years to build up her business, starting with 4 working horses which she has now built upto 16. The stables are well presented being both clean and tidy and functional, the horses are very well cared for ( they are her family and livelihood ) sure footed and steady, ideal for the rocky terrain the treks cover. Riding hats are available and are offered to clients prior to going out, but this is not England, when you land in Kefalonia you leave all the stupid PC behind. As for the lady falling off her horse I cant comment on that, I was'nt there but I do know that Connie goes to great lengths to match her horses to the riders professed ability, she has to believe that you can do what you say you can. She does answer her phone while out on treks, what else is she to do, she's running a business. The treks are tailored to the ability of the riders lasting from 1/2 hour to 3 hours and cover some stunning and beautiful countryside, passing vineyards that are 100's of years old and the ruins of villages destroyed in the 1953 earthquake and vantage points giving breathtaking views of the surrouding countryside and out across the Ionian Sea to Ithaca. No one forced Tryunderthelatch to take part in that particular trek, they only had to explain to Connie what they were looking for and she would have arranged a trek more suited to their requirements, but dont expect to go trotting in the midday sun, it reaches 40 degrees, book for first thing in the morning or in the early evening. Connie also offers ' all in ' riding holidays with accomodation where she lives about 1km down the road, she has 3 double rooms with en suite wet rooms and a shared guest kitchen ( the food is great, the company even better ). the holidays come in two forms, the first is a daily trek ( duration arranged with Connie to suit personal requirements ) or a camping trek, normally 3 - 5 days where you trek out in the mountains to pre-arranged locations, cook a meal around the campfire, sleep out and then move on next morning, either way go with an open mind, accept where you are ( 3 hours by ferry from the mainland ) and you,ll have a good time, meet some nice people and see some stunning countryside from the back of some wonderful horses. A camera is a must. Recommended.

3  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I was going to book, however, one morning I could hear a very bossy German voice shouting. As the horses came into view, I saw the culprit - the Stable owner was barkign instructons at her clients - none of whom were wearing hats. A couple of minutes later, one of the horses spooked and the client fell off, she lay on the floor and it took the action from another client to actually tend to her - the German lady didnt even get off her horse - I made the decision then and there not to bother. Having said that, the horses looked very wll cared for.

5  Thank Helen S
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Well worth a visit - the horses are beautiful and well cared for, and specially trained for taking you up into the mountains. Most importantly, they behaved well for beginners like us... only occasionally going into a mild trot when they were trying to catch up with each other! We did the 2 hour ride which took us on a pretty route through the mountains. We went in early evening as it would be too hot during the day in August.

Recommended.

1  Thank fionaxm
Reviewed 17 August 2012

The reviews led us to believe that this would be an amazing experience. The location and horses are impressive its fair to say. I think we may have been unlucky as our trip was shared with another family with absolutely no riding experience at all and 4 of them had to be lead on long leads. There was a lot of shouting from the owner who appeared annoyed and spent a lot of the time on her mobile phone in an argument. Maybe if we'd gone on our own it would have been a different experience. There was no option to even trot which can make a 2 hour ride a bit tedious to say the least. Picking fresh figs from trees and eating them was the highlight. I reckon if I'd ensured I had gone in a small group with others of a similar level of riding experience - potentially it could then have been worth the money and effort.

6  Thank Tryunderthethatch