“Extraordinary hospitality in a stunning location = An out of this world experience”
Review of Sami Beach Hotel

Sami Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sami
UK
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed at this Hotel with my two sons from 02/08/14 to 06/08/14

On arrival at the Hotel we were greeted with an incredibly warm welcome by Marianne and Yannis, not to mention a drink on the house. It was immediately apparent that this husband and wife team genuinely cared about their guests experiences at the hotel, and as it transpired, would go out of their way to help if they could. Particularly Marianne, who was always available (without being intrusive) to offer advice, make phone calls, and generally do whatever she could if it was within her power. Now the basics:
1. Hotel is situated in a stunning to die for location. We had rooms at the back of the hotel, looking out across the garden to the mountains, with the front rooms ensuring a sea view. Both views are equally impressive.
2. The rooms are basic, spotlessly clean, comfy mattress and pillows, and for those who want to be plunged into darkness to help with sleep, you can close the balcony shutters!
3. Breakfast is from 7 to 10, it’s the usual buffet type, there’s a great choice available, in a pleasing holiday atmosphere with Kalimera (good morning) greetings from Elleana, who was always smiley and friendly.
4. As other reviewers have said, you can walk into Sami along the beach pathway, takes about 15 minutes, with such breathtaking views, you hardly notice the 15 mins.
5. In Sami there are loads of fab places to eat, all at reasonable prices, and the cruise tour outlets etc are easy to locate. The 9.30am to 4pm cruise to Ithanka definitely worth a trip, drops anchor each way, near particularly cove, for 30 mins swimming and snorkling. At the far end (adjacent to the police station) you can hire quads, bicycles, or scooters. If you fancy an adventure, you can hire a quad and go up to the Drogati cave, 3km from Sami, and well worth a visit. Cave itself fascinating and veeery spooky, descends to depth of 95 metres. Was told by the permanent guide, human remains found in 1960ish carbon dated to stone age!
Finally, have to say that this stay was memorable for me and my sons because of the kindness shown by Marianne, Yannis (and not forgetting Perekles), with them at the helm, the Sami Beach Hotel is a magical place. Hope to return one day x

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank UkMaxine

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 11 August 2014

If you are going to Kefalonia, and want a lovely hotel, right beside the beach, with the most amazing views, and the warmest hospitality, then look no further. My wife and 15 yo daughter loved it. Even before we arrived, all arrangements were easy. We booked our own flights (Ryan Air !!!) . The hotel recommended a hire car company to meet us, escort us to the hotel, where we were greeted with hugs and smiles. Our room was clean and lovely. Cleaners changed and cleaned it daily. Maryann helped us book our overnight in Ithica (at a special price), she found our lost items, and found and booked a dentist (!) Everyone was curteous and kind.
We loved the birthday surprise for my wife!
The pool is clean, the tennis court excellent, and the table tennis table wonkily charming. The grounds are flowers, trees and grass, not fields of concrete, and if you are lucky you may see peluga turtles wandering around. There is the best book library I have come across in a hotel, wi-fi, and access to a computer. In our room, the shower was great - always hot; the beds comfortable; and the air conditioning and safe all included in the price. The hotel even lent us a kettle to make our own tea - Yorkshire not Liptons!
The breakfasts had a good range of food to choose from - cereals; sausages or eggs, with cheese; ham etc; croissants (would be nicer heated); Greek yoghurt and honey (Kefalonian honey is to die for); toast; home made jams etc. The waitresses are great - "Smile, the sun is shining. You are on holiday." We always left having felt meeted and greeted.
Sami is very quiet, even in July/August. It seems that one of the ferries has stopped coming. But the bay is spectacular. Anti Sami beach is a must. The harbour on Saturdays sounds to Greek music - no discos. Most tourists seem to be Italian, Greek, some French and some UK.
The restaurants are all welcoming, and mostly good, and 30-40 euros bought the 3 of us all we wanted to eat and drink. The bakery near the hotel is a must for lovers of homemade pastries, ice-cream and all kinds of bread + it has a great selection of wines, olives, herbs etc.
Because Kefalonia is such a large island, there are lots of outings to be had. We heard a lot of people had possibly been deterred from visiting Kefalonia due to the earthquake in January, but we saw no sign of building damage and there was no activity during our 2 weeks there. I think wherever you go in Greece or Italy there is evidence of volcanic activity and earthquakes. I guess we have floods in the UK!
I think the tourist guides will tell you all of the history and the wonderful things to do on the island. It is worth renting a car.
In conclusion - if you are wanting to relax and be a bit spoiled, in beautiful scenery by the Mediterranean Sea, you won't do better than the Sami Beach Hotel in the opinion of our family.

Room Tip: Just ask. They do all in their power to help you. The sea facing rooms are coolest, especially with...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Peterghstevens
Seattle
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Never have we been greeted so warmly at any hotel before. Even before check-in, welcoming glasses of ouzo and a mapped explanation of all the local attractions by Yiannis. EVERY staff member was all attention and smiles. Rooms are basic European - efficient and scrupulously clean. Good Greek breakfast buffet, pristine swimming pool, pool bar open til midnight. Also, Ping-Pong and regular tennis courts. Stunning location seaside with easy walk to Sami or the Mellessini Caves. WiFi but slower. Stayed one night, but wished for more.

Room Tip: If you plan for more than one night, seaview room would be nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JustOverPar
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My boyfriend and I arrived late in the evening with the last flight (it is 30 min taxi ride circa from the airport) and were greeted with a drink and given an introduction to the possible places we could see on the whole island.
The hotel was spotless clean, all the staff were friendly and helpful and it really felt like being part of a family (we moved to Zakynthos for the second part of our holiday and I kind of regretted it because I liked Kefalonia and the Sami Beach hotel better).
There is a well kept pool and from the hotel you can walk via a (mostly) pedestrian road to Sami (town) in about 10 min (it was safe even at night).
We hired a car and did a tour of the island and I can say that Sami was a great choice, it feels less touristic and the beaches nearby are better (Myrtos, Antisamos and many small beaches along the road towards Agia Efimia... although we did like a beach right before Skala very much too).

Room Tip: Our room 219, did not have a sea view but I thought it was actually better: you could see mountains...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
surrey
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is a must every year. We love the hotel and family. Always the warm welcome and the "at home" feeling.
You can relax by the pool all day. You can swim in the sea just outside the hotel. You can walk into town along the beach path(15-20 mins.) or have a taxi for reasonable cost or take your hire car there. We recommend the walk as it's so lovely. Several restaurants on the way. The town has plenty of atmosphere with restaurants and bars along the harbour side.There are also local restaurants within a 5 minute walk of the hotel. A lovely bakery where you can enjoy a snack if you so wish and sit at their outside cafe and look out over the sea. Local supermarkets if you need them. Sami is an ideal base for exploring the north, east and south of the island. Personally we much prefer it to the tourist side near the airport, Lassi. We do not knock that either because it has lovely beaches and the whole island is lovely,but, if you don't need those, then go to Sami.The rooms have lovely views whether at the front overlooking the pool, sea and mountains or side view or garden room looking over the mountains. All have balconies or the garden rooms have delightful grass patios.The bathrooms have just been completely refitted. There are new sun loungers, plenty for everyone. Most people are returning guests which says much !! You'll always get someone you can't satisfy and the owners are deeply upset if they cannot please everyone but that's life. We can do without these people. So many returning guests tell it's own story and to be honest, we don't need any negatives. It doesn't purport to be a 5* luxury hotel. We know it's a lovely place to stay and that's all that matters. I'd rather the miserable people went elsewhere. Just try it and see for yourselves. I have travelled the world and stayed at many 5* hotels and yes they are lovely but I wouldn't swop Sami Beach for so many different reasons.
Will I be returning next year? Already booked. Some guests make it twice a year !! I know someone who has been 25 years. Very soon I will be counting on one hand to get to that.
Well done to all the staff who make our yearly trip, one to both look forward to but also to feel depressed about when coming home.

Room Tip: Depends on your budget. Second floor seaview but garden rooms are cheaper and quieter even though th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank summitsurrey
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The welcoming I received from Yiannis and Marianna was just like the meeting of old friends. From the start I felt very much at home. Perikles, another member of the family kept me entertained at the pool bar. At breakfast Elleanna and Soula greeted each guest with Kalimera. Violetsa who cleaned my room always greeted me. My room was very clean and the view to the mountains really beautiful. The hotel is very well placed with no noise from traffic just a short walk from the village of Sami. No wonder visitors come back every year. Regulars also made sure I enjoyed my holiday. I'm going back in a couple of months and June next year.

Room Tip: The view towards the mountain was just beautiful to waken up to. The sun reached there around 3 in...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Gordon Ramsey's Dream
In response to "Gordon Ramsey's Nightmare"
"You can please some of the people all of the time ...
You can please most of the people some of the time ...
But you cannot please all the people all the time"
I thought that Sami Beach Hotel was the exception that proves the rule but having read LucyAnn2010's review of her stay at the hotel I now know that's not true.
We are relative newcomers to the hotel (8 consecutive years!)and find it amazing that she could not appreciate the ethos of the hotel. Many "friends" have been coming for 20 years plus. We've got some catching up to do!
The "Smile"greeting at breakfast is always followed by advise on the weather, what to look out for during the day and how to ensure your safety during the day. Yannis has often said to me to take care on the roads and I've heard him telling taxi drivers the same when picking people up for the airport. They always have their guests best interests at heart.
Helena, who organises breakfast is not Maryann and Yanni's daughter, (their daughter has just completed a PhD at Athens University) but is a local girl who has worked at the hotel for many years and, like the owners is fluent in English and, as far as I can tell speaks several other languages as well.
Sami Beach is a 3 star hotel. There is a 5 star hotel next door but it is amazing how many of their residents come to our hotel poolside bar for the convivial atmosphere and to be entertained by Pericles the barman, who is another of the owners of this family run hotel.
Not having picked up what Sami Beach Hotel is all about, LucyAnn2010 must share the secrets of the impenetrable "security bubble " she lives in with GCHQ, it will do national security no end of good!
I do agree that Gordon should visit the hotel as he deserves a restful experience and he will no doubt pick up many tips on how to run an exceptional establishment!
A happy visitor to Sami Beach.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sami
Ionian Emerald Resort
Odyssey Hotel
Odyssey Hotel
#1 of 6 in Agia Efimia
Apostolata Island Resort & Spa

Been to Sami Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!