“The Hideaway - nothing changes, nothing has to!”
Review of The Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in 'Eua Island
The Hideaway
Ranked #1 of 2 'Eua Island B&B and Inns
Port Lincoln, Australia
“The Hideaway - nothing changes, nothing has to!”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I encourage people to go to Tonga to see what the South Pacific USED to be like 30 years ago. Beautiful, unspoiled and the friendliest ,shy people. The Hideaway is all that and more and that's why we love it so much. Our party rated it one of the highlights of many wonderful experiences in Tonga without really being able to explain why, it's just that sort of place. We missed Taki this time and didn't see much of his lovely wife Naiti but Pesi won everybodys' hearts as usual. Taki, if I send over some ribbon to mark your "unguided" walking trails , how about a few more branches on the roof of the whale watching deck for shade and keep our beer cool. Will come and help if you need a hand. Love your place and love your staff and beautiful Eua. A
TIP - Leave Eua for the end of your Tongan trip- it's a wind down type of place.
Cheers, Eric Kotz

Room Tip: They're pretty much all the same, and they're all clean and comfortable and good VALUE .
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ERIC K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

After an active and chaotic (albeit enjoyable) week running around Tonga and its various islands, I crash landed at the Hideaway for some much needed down time. I booked a room last minute after briefly reading that the Hideaway was tucked away in a secluded area with rooms overlooking the ocean. That was enough to hook me, but I was still blown away once I arrived by how beautiful the surrounding area was and the peaceful atmosphere.

I spent two entire days and one night at the Hideaway. It was excellent value for money -- for 60T, I spent one night by myself in a double room with a hot shower and warm blankets (small perks I had not come across yet while in Tonga!), received complimentary breakfast, free wifi and wharf (airport also available) transportation. While I didn't take complete advantage of this aspect, the Hideaway is also one of the only access points on 'Eua to organise tours, treks, whale watching, etc. There are plenty of options. However, if you are like me and feel a bit too knackered and lazy for these activities, there is also a wonderful well-marked walking trail from the Hideaway that leads through a lush forest and takes you out onto the beach, where you can continue your leisurely stroll (or swim) for another 30 minutes or so. I enjoyed this immensely -- as it allowed me to venture at my own pace and return to my room whenever I felt ready to go back.

Importantly, I would highly recommend the Hideaway because it seemed like one of the few places I stayed that was truly organised. It was the only time during my stay in Tonga where I didn't feel anxious about getting somewhere in time or missing out on something. There is always someone available to assist you, and you feel confident that you'll be able to do the things you want to do and get to the places you need to go.

I also TREASURED having a cafe right outside my door. I stayed at Taina's before and was struggling without having a place within walking distance where I could buy coffee and of course, that bottle (or so) of beer to unwind at the end of the day.

Lastly, it's important to set your expectations before going. I loved Hideaway for its atmosphere and beautiful surroundings. I am extremely low maintenance - a basic room with hot water and a warm bed was luxury to me; however, certain people might expect more, so determine your priorities before booking anywhere. Assess whether you want beautiful views (I saw dolphins there!) and accessibility or a beautiful room that has it all. Honestly, I think once you see the views, you would be happy to sleep on a hammock.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Tina D
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have recently returned from my fourth visit to 'Eua and my fourth stay at The Hideaway. Each time I return to 'Eua I look forward to returning to the Tongan homeliness of The Hideaway and especially the hospitality and friendship of the staff. On my most recent stay I had an amazing day out hiking with local guide Paea to parts of the island I still had not seen. I was also lucky enough to have arrived for the much anticipated annual whale migration around the island. Kiko's whale watching / swimming (arranged through The Hideaway) was a lifetime experience I will never forget! Kiko was a whale spotting guru and very respectful of the whales (including the mother, calf and escort that were curious enough to play for the last half of our day). Kiko was very obliging to all on board his humble Tongan fishing boat. Such good times and memories will linger until I return to my home away from home at The Hideaway next!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My sister and I stayed here for 3 nights. Eua is a great island in Tonga, and you shouldn't stay anywhere except Hideaway! They picked us up from the ferry and took us out to the accommodation which is a 10 minute drive from the main village (we also walked it in a 25 min easy walk). The rooms are basic but have all you need and best of all, amazing ocean views. We could sit out the front of our place and see whales and dolphins cruising past regularly. Sunsets were great, and relaxing on the beach was bliss. The food is absolutely amazing (fish in coconut milk, stir fries, ota ika, crispy chicken) and they even pack lunches for you. The staff are all extremely kind and helpful. We wanted to buy local honey and they arranged someone to bring it out to us! The biggest highlight was swimming with whales. We went out with the local guide Kiko. He was very experienced and was respectful of the whales - not scaring them or getting in their way. We swam with the first whale calf they had seen all season and it was just incredible. We were so close we could touch them several times. Whales were jumping out of the water right beside the boat. There is another guide (Mata?) that goes in the water with you and you are always safe. A MUST DO!! if you go to Tonga, and we definitely recommend Kiko and staying at Hideaway. Have a hot shower before you go though - the hot water cuts in and out!

Room Tip: Room 6 has probably the best views and is on the end of the block so nice and private!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed at The Hideaway for just a couple days as I didn't have enough time in Tonga (my flight was canceled in Auckland).
Anyway, I had a great time there. The owner (Taki) is a nice guy and he managed to find a guide who could trek with me (I was the only one there at that time) to Fanfatave lookout, beach & caves (awesome). He even climbed a coconut tree to get me a fresh one!!!!!
The food was really good too.
Just wish that I had more time to visit other places in 'Eua island and maybe next time be there for the whale season!!!!!

Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Adeliade
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Eua is a great little island and Hideaway was a wonderful place to stay. This is not for prissy westerners who like pristine, sterile accommodation, but if you would like to share your watermelon rinds with Princess the pig I highly recommend it. The shower was hot, the bed comfortable and the sound of the ocean sublime. Dolphins and whales out from the dining room. The tours provided were well organised and informative. Naite, Bessie and all other staff and meals were fantastic. We were picked up from the airport punctually and our stay did not disappoint.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed at the Hideaway 2 nights as a family of adults - there were 8 of us. We arrived off the ferry in 'Eua only to find the pick-up was not there yet and had to ask around until they turned up 5 minutes late. We got there (at around 1-2pm) to find that the rooms weren't ready and we had to wait. One of us did have to go to the hospital (tripped over and hurt knee) and they were very accommodating in taking her to the hospital and picking up. We loved the rooms and the view out looking at the ocean. The sunloungers out the front were great, and the snorkelling at the beach was spectacular, as well as lying on the beach. If the sea is calm, you can step out past the reef into these amazing caverns. We saw some whales too. The food was okay, but there was not a lot of variety, especially the lunch menu, however there are not a lot of places to eat in 'Eua so we made do. We never saw Taki, the owner, there were some Tongan girls running it. They had tea and coffee making facilities, but often the hot water or mugs had run out and there was no milk so you had to ask. We went on a horse trek, but the man said I needed to ride on the horse with him as it was safer and then progressed to grope my leg. It was a nice ride but spoilt by that. I would warn any girls from riding on the horse with him. We did the waeving lesson which was great, but no-one told us where to go or what to do, we had to ask and then got directions to walk to the village. Overall, a lot of potential and the view and beach were fantastic, but slightly ruined by the disorganisation. The horse-man leg grope was the downer of the whole trip, not Hideaway's fault, but they are agents for him. Of note, there is a communal fridge you can put your gear in, but no other self-catering.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
#4 of 13 in Nuku'alofa
Fafa Island Resort
Fafa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Fafa Island

Been to The Hideaway? Share your experiences!