The Hideaway
US$109
  • Pool
US$79
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfishviewing platformother guestshot waterwatch whalesdining areasandy beacheswhale swimisland tourin seasonhideawaytoursmealskikoadventureboatsunday
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I didn't have the opportunity to stay at The Hideaway but Taki and the other excellent staff members helped organise a 4WD tour one day with Sione and a whale swim with Kiko on another day. Both trips were highlights of my total 6 weeks in Tonga!
The 4WD tour was tailor made to suit whatever experiences we were interested in and it did not disappoint. We spent a full day in rainforests standing on the edges of beautiful cliffs (north and south), snorkelling, checking out secluded beaches with numerous blow holes, climbing a huuuuuge banyan tree, exploring caves and seeing the natural archway. I'm sure there was even more that I have forgotten. All for a cheap price with lunch included and a born and breed Eua tour guide.
The whale swim with Kiko was a must do on the old bucket list. The day started off stormy with big seas and high winds in a moderately sized fishing boat but with plenty of whale activity. Unfortunately there were only large solitary males all morning which made it hard to jump in. However, the afternoon was unforgettable. The clouds cleared slightly and two groups of 4 whales (calves included) settled down next to the boat only 200m offshore from The Hideaway. The whales being settled swam up to us getting within 5m of us at times and the calf played around right next to us. Huge credit to Kiko and his patience and gentle approach to give the whales time to settle and become inquisitive. Not only do I have the memories of these experiences but now I have great photos and videos to cherish.
All in all Eua is very much worth the ferry trip and I would recommend spending at least 4 nights there (we only had 4 before having to return to Tongatapu, wished we had more!)
Big thanks to all The Hideaway staff, hopefully I'll get back some time in the future.

2  Thank Matt E
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I encourage people to go to Tonga to see what the South Pacific USED to be like 30 years ago. Beautiful, unspoiled and the friendliest ,shy people. The Hideaway is all that and more and that's why we love it so much. Our party rated it one of the highlights of many wonderful experiences in Tonga without really being able to explain why, it's just that sort of place. We missed Taki this time and didn't see much of his lovely wife Naiti but Pesi won everybodys' hearts as usual. Taki, if I send over some ribbon to mark your "unguided" walking trails , how about a few more branches on the roof of the whale watching deck for shade and keep our beer cool. Will come and help if you need a hand. Love your place and love your staff and beautiful Eua. A
TIP - Leave Eua for the end of your Tongan trip- it's a wind down type of place.
Cheers, Eric Kotz

Room Tip: They're pretty much all the same, and they're all clean and comfortable and good VALUE .
1  Thank ERIC K
Reviewed 9 September 2013

After an active and chaotic (albeit enjoyable) week running around Tonga and its various islands, I crash landed at the Hideaway for some much needed down time. I booked a room last minute after briefly reading that the Hideaway was tucked away in a secluded area with rooms overlooking the ocean. That was enough to hook me, but I was still blown away once I arrived by how beautiful the surrounding area was and the peaceful atmosphere.

I spent two entire days and one night at the Hideaway. It was excellent value for money -- for 60T, I spent one night by myself in a double room with a hot shower and warm blankets (small perks I had not come across yet while in Tonga!), received complimentary breakfast, free wifi and wharf (airport also available) transportation. While I didn't take complete advantage of this aspect, the Hideaway is also one of the only access points on 'Eua to organise tours, treks, whale watching, etc. There are plenty of options. However, if you are like me and feel a bit too knackered and lazy for these activities, there is also a wonderful well-marked walking trail from the Hideaway that leads through a lush forest and takes you out onto the beach, where you can continue your leisurely stroll (or swim) for another 30 minutes or so. I enjoyed this immensely -- as it allowed me to venture at my own pace and return to my room whenever I felt ready to go back.

Importantly, I would highly recommend the Hideaway because it seemed like one of the few places I stayed that was truly organised. It was the only time during my stay in Tonga where I didn't feel anxious about getting somewhere in time or missing out on something. There is always someone available to assist you, and you feel confident that you'll be able to do the things you want to do and get to the places you need to go.

I also TREASURED having a cafe right outside my door. I stayed at Taina's before and was struggling without having a place within walking distance where I could buy coffee and of course, that bottle (or so) of beer to unwind at the end of the day.

Lastly, it's important to set your expectations before going. I loved Hideaway for its atmosphere and beautiful surroundings. I am extremely low maintenance - a basic room with hot water and a warm bed was luxury to me; however, certain people might expect more, so determine your priorities before booking anywhere. Assess whether you want beautiful views (I saw dolphins there!) and accessibility or a beautiful room that has it all. Honestly, I think once you see the views, you would be happy to sleep on a hammock.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Tina D
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have recently returned from my fourth visit to 'Eua and my fourth stay at The Hideaway. Each time I return to 'Eua I look forward to returning to the Tongan homeliness of The Hideaway and especially the hospitality and friendship of the staff. On my most recent stay I had an amazing day out hiking with local guide Paea to parts of the island I still had not seen. I was also lucky enough to have arrived for the much anticipated annual whale migration around the island. Kiko's whale watching / swimming (arranged through The Hideaway) was a lifetime experience I will never forget! Kiko was a whale spotting guru and very respectful of the whales (including the mother, calf and escort that were curious enough to play for the last half of our day). Kiko was very obliging to all on board his humble Tongan fishing boat. Such good times and memories will linger until I return to my home away from home at The Hideaway next!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My sister and I stayed here for 3 nights. Eua is a great island in Tonga, and you shouldn't stay anywhere except Hideaway! They picked us up from the ferry and took us out to the accommodation which is a 10 minute drive from the main village (we also walked it in a 25 min easy walk). The rooms are basic but have all you need and best of all, amazing ocean views. We could sit out the front of our place and see whales and dolphins cruising past regularly. Sunsets were great, and relaxing on the beach was bliss. The food is absolutely amazing (fish in coconut milk, stir fries, ota ika, crispy chicken) and they even pack lunches for you. The staff are all extremely kind and helpful. We wanted to buy local honey and they arranged someone to bring it out to us! The biggest highlight was swimming with whales. We went out with the local guide Kiko. He was very experienced and was respectful of the whales - not scaring them or getting in their way. We swam with the first whale calf they had seen all season and it was just incredible. We were so close we could touch them several times. Whales were jumping out of the water right beside the boat. There is another guide (Mata?) that goes in the water with you and you are always safe. A MUST DO!! if you go to Tonga, and we definitely recommend Kiko and staying at Hideaway. Have a hot shower before you go though - the hot water cuts in and out!

Room Tip: Room 6 has probably the best views and is on the end of the block so nice and private!