“Eua activities.”
Review of The Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in 'Eua Island
The Hideaway
Ranked #1 of 2 'Eua Island B&B and Inns
Newcastle, Australia
“Eua activities.”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I didn't stay at Eua however we used their very helpful staff several times to get everything done we possibly wanted while on Eua. Taki from Hideaway was unreal and organised anything we needed at the drop of a hat even though we werent guests there. We had a day with Sione (a local Eua guide) 4wd'ing around the island which was tailor made for what we wanted and he knew the answer to anything we asked, and showing us all the cool things there is to do and see on Eua. Couldnt have asked for anything more (and it was cheap). Taki also hooked us up with Kiko, a local fisherman who we went out for the day swimming with whales which was unforgettable, and I couldnt recommend him more on Eua. Very respectful and patient with the whales while still getting you a swim within meters of whales and calves. Thanks to Taki, Kiko and Sione for making our 4-5 days on Eua the best of our 6 weeks in Tonga.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The Hideaway Eua Tonga provides basic accommodation, very comfy beds, healthy choice of food and WONDERFUL activities. The highlight for my husband and me was the whale watch/swim. Kiko is the extremely competent skipper. He fishes all year round and does the whale watch/swim experience for the four months the whales are there. He is passionate about the whales and not disturbing them. He gets close enough for excellent sightings of whales breaching, babies playing. Whether the whales let you swim with them is up to the whales - it is not a petting zoo. If the swimmers slip quietly into the water and do not thrash around on the surface, you may well get a close encounter - as we did with FIFTEEN whales for an hour and 20 minutes. I do think this was exceptional, and probably enhanced by there not being a lot of swimmers simultaneously. I suggest you take sea-sick tablets if you are not a regular sea-farer. Also, take a sweatshirt and wind-proof jacket for when you get out of the water as the wind can make you shiver. I cannot speak highly enough of the professionalism and care that Kiko and his team took of us.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margie M
Suva, Fiji
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The Hideaway was a great base for my 3D/2N stay: by the sea (minutes from the wharf), ample-sized bedrooms, tasty meals, very helpful owners and staff. Meals were always a delight as the whales were there when you looked out from the dining area. I recommend the 4WD tour for a sampling of the many delights of Eua, specially if short on time. Sadly, the weather did not cooperate with my planned whale watching tour (boat). But the 2.5 hours ride from the capital, was punctuated by frolicking whales on either side of the ferry! Taki and Naite are such excellent hosts, they are flexible in making sure that your stay was nothing short of totally enjoyable!

Room Tip: recommend a room in the new wing facing the sea, nice new beds
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Nelson Bay, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I didn't have the opportunity to stay at The Hideaway but Taki and the other excellent staff members helped organise a 4WD tour one day with Sione and a whale swim with Kiko on another day. Both trips were highlights of my total 6 weeks in Tonga!
The 4WD tour was tailor made to suit whatever experiences we were interested in and it did not disappoint. We spent a full day in rainforests standing on the edges of beautiful cliffs (north and south), snorkelling, checking out secluded beaches with numerous blow holes, climbing a huuuuuge banyan tree, exploring caves and seeing the natural archway. I'm sure there was even more that I have forgotten. All for a cheap price with lunch included and a born and breed Eua tour guide.
The whale swim with Kiko was a must do on the old bucket list. The day started off stormy with big seas and high winds in a moderately sized fishing boat but with plenty of whale activity. Unfortunately there were only large solitary males all morning which made it hard to jump in. However, the afternoon was unforgettable. The clouds cleared slightly and two groups of 4 whales (calves included) settled down next to the boat only 200m offshore from The Hideaway. The whales being settled swam up to us getting within 5m of us at times and the calf played around right next to us. Huge credit to Kiko and his patience and gentle approach to give the whales time to settle and become inquisitive. Not only do I have the memories of these experiences but now I have great photos and videos to cherish.
All in all Eua is very much worth the ferry trip and I would recommend spending at least 4 nights there (we only had 4 before having to return to Tongatapu, wished we had more!)
Big thanks to all The Hideaway staff, hopefully I'll get back some time in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Matt E
Port Lincoln, Australia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I encourage people to go to Tonga to see what the South Pacific USED to be like 30 years ago. Beautiful, unspoiled and the friendliest ,shy people. The Hideaway is all that and more and that's why we love it so much. Our party rated it one of the highlights of many wonderful experiences in Tonga without really being able to explain why, it's just that sort of place. We missed Taki this time and didn't see much of his lovely wife Naiti but Pesi won everybodys' hearts as usual. Taki, if I send over some ribbon to mark your "unguided" walking trails , how about a few more branches on the roof of the whale watching deck for shade and keep our beer cool. Will come and help if you need a hand. Love your place and love your staff and beautiful Eua. A
TIP - Leave Eua for the end of your Tongan trip- it's a wind down type of place.
Cheers, Eric Kotz

Room Tip: They're pretty much all the same, and they're all clean and comfortable and good VALUE .
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ERIC K
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

After an active and chaotic (albeit enjoyable) week running around Tonga and its various islands, I crash landed at the Hideaway for some much needed down time. I booked a room last minute after briefly reading that the Hideaway was tucked away in a secluded area with rooms overlooking the ocean. That was enough to hook me, but I was still blown away once I arrived by how beautiful the surrounding area was and the peaceful atmosphere.

I spent two entire days and one night at the Hideaway. It was excellent value for money -- for 60T, I spent one night by myself in a double room with a hot shower and warm blankets (small perks I had not come across yet while in Tonga!), received complimentary breakfast, free wifi and wharf (airport also available) transportation. While I didn't take complete advantage of this aspect, the Hideaway is also one of the only access points on 'Eua to organise tours, treks, whale watching, etc. There are plenty of options. However, if you are like me and feel a bit too knackered and lazy for these activities, there is also a wonderful well-marked walking trail from the Hideaway that leads through a lush forest and takes you out onto the beach, where you can continue your leisurely stroll (or swim) for another 30 minutes or so. I enjoyed this immensely -- as it allowed me to venture at my own pace and return to my room whenever I felt ready to go back.

Importantly, I would highly recommend the Hideaway because it seemed like one of the few places I stayed that was truly organised. It was the only time during my stay in Tonga where I didn't feel anxious about getting somewhere in time or missing out on something. There is always someone available to assist you, and you feel confident that you'll be able to do the things you want to do and get to the places you need to go.

I also TREASURED having a cafe right outside my door. I stayed at Taina's before and was struggling without having a place within walking distance where I could buy coffee and of course, that bottle (or so) of beer to unwind at the end of the day.

Lastly, it's important to set your expectations before going. I loved Hideaway for its atmosphere and beautiful surroundings. I am extremely low maintenance - a basic room with hot water and a warm bed was luxury to me; however, certain people might expect more, so determine your priorities before booking anywhere. Assess whether you want beautiful views (I saw dolphins there!) and accessibility or a beautiful room that has it all. Honestly, I think once you see the views, you would be happy to sleep on a hammock.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Tina D
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have recently returned from my fourth visit to 'Eua and my fourth stay at The Hideaway. Each time I return to 'Eua I look forward to returning to the Tongan homeliness of The Hideaway and especially the hospitality and friendship of the staff. On my most recent stay I had an amazing day out hiking with local guide Paea to parts of the island I still had not seen. I was also lucky enough to have arrived for the much anticipated annual whale migration around the island. Kiko's whale watching / swimming (arranged through The Hideaway) was a lifetime experience I will never forget! Kiko was a whale spotting guru and very respectful of the whales (including the mother, calf and escort that were curious enough to play for the last half of our day). Kiko was very obliging to all on board his humble Tongan fishing boat. Such good times and memories will linger until I return to my home away from home at The Hideaway next!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
#4 of 13 in Nuku'alofa
Fafa Island Resort
Fafa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Fafa Island

Been to The Hideaway? Share your experiences!