“Heaven”
Review of Sunrise Apartments

Sunrise Apartments
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Koutouloufari
Reviewed 29 June 2013

What a lovely holiday place. So clean, bins and apartments cleaned every day except Sunday (girls have to have a day off). I don't know why the other person was complaining about 40 year olds having a stag do!! People go on holiday to enjoy their selves and the hospitality from Sunrise is second to none. They were only there a couple of days anyway and not cockney's. Oh! you scousers you sound so perfect and don't know your regions. Glad you are not from Southport? I will definitely be back to the most beautiful holiday place I know. Grandchildren going with us next year, I know we will be looked after. I hope my children get the 'bug' for Sunrise. This family will bend over backwards for anyone. In my opinion this is a 5 star place in a 5 star location. Need to go back soon

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kouniatha

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Arrived home yesterday after a fantastic 2 week stay at the sunrise, which was our 2nd visit after last year. Aris and Yiannis and the rest of the Sunrise family could not do enough for us, and we will definitely be visiting again next year. Big thanks to Yianni the handyman for rescuing my earplug from the pool filtration system!. The poolside meals were top drawer especially the omelettes and young Niamh was a big help and did a great job. The meals in the town were awesome, and I had lamb every night which was beautiful.....ten out of ten again.... Roll on 2014 :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Four of us (2 couples) stayed here from 11-18 june 2013. It is a lovely place and the staff are very nice. Aris and Yiannis especially and the young woman who serves at the bar.(Sorry, I've forgotten her name.) We had a studio and it was quite adequate for our needs. Air con was five euros a day which is very reasonable in Greece and it was needed! The complex is well maintained and the gardener does a fine job. The pool was cleaned on a regular basis and there is a nice bar area with the drinks being reasonably priced. A large beer 3 euros. There is a small shop opposite the sunrise selling the essentials like beer and ouzo and also food if you feel you need it! Also a bakery selling bread and cakes (surprising as it may sound) is next door to the shop. All in all a very nice place to stay. Now the fly in the ointment and probably only a "one off". Someone took a booking for a stag party and about 15/20 men arrived whilst we were there. The minute they arrived they were a bit of a pest to say the least loud mouthed, shouting to each other from about a foot away. They were cockney geezers I think and they didn't care who knew it. Now I know scousers can be loud(I am one) but these guys could knock us into a cocked hat!! Or a cockney hat! Ha!Ha! see what I did there? Please yourselves.Anyway they were a bloody nuisance and a lot of the regular clients said that they might rethink about booking here again. I hope the sunrise sort themselves because they have a lovely place.Anyway I would come back here again if we come to Crete again. Koutouloufari is a lovely place. Plenty of restaurants and bars no louts just a good atmosphere. If you go into Hersonissos, the walk down is very nice and takes ten minutes. If you walk back up the hill it takes ten hours!! Slash out, get a taxi back. If you are young and fit, then don't be so lazy and walk! People say hersonissos is a bit tacky but it's a seaside town for goodness sake. What were people expecting, the leaning tower of Pisa,Sydney opera house or herds of vilderbeest? Go and enjoy yourselves. The geezeers have all gone home.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank jayemcee55
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

Fab location . As one previous reviewer stated the cleaning was appalling. Came on Friday and not had toilet paper bin emptied until Monday. They only left toilet roll once a week when changed beds. I had to buy four rolls during my stay. Think when they changed beds and toweld that this must also have been the only time they swept and mopped the place.

They personalised the stay by remembering people's names and I think this must the reason for the year on year returners as they make the effort to make friends with you.

I also was not impressed by the stag party. They remained in the same part of the bar for five days and made the other guests feel very intimidated. Therefore I won't be following suit with the people that re book year on year.
Stayed bed and breakfast and was very impressed with what we got as it was not expected.
Won't be returning to sunrise but probably to Crete. Lovely island worth exploring more .

Regarding trips etc. worth getting to spinalonga on the local buses. We saved loads and saw other places we wouldn't have on the trip. We got the bus from hersonisos to agios nik. Then to plaka. Then got small boat from harbour by taverna spinalonga for 8 euros. Although the return journey was a free for all! Also went to hersonisos harbour to get on the boat to sissi for 20 euro - a lovely day out.
Definitely loved Crete and its laid back attitude I fell right into holiday mode.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Ajjonesy
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

What a jewel of a place lovely location run by wonderful people the rooms are spacious well serviced self catering apartments set in a wonderful village location a short walk to the local taverners and restaurants

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank Garymartin001
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Spent a week here as first time visitors. Firstly the family who run the place are first rate and go the extra mile to make you feel welcome. Our studio apartment was at the front of the complex overlooking the sea. There is a road just in front but it was fairly quiet and personally I preferred this location over a pool view room.

The room was quite large and had plenty of storage space for clothing. The beds were a bit hard for me but after a few drinks we always slept ok. The village is reached by turning left out of the complex and keeping on the top road rather than going down the hill which leads to the beach. The village is much bigger than expected and you can walk a couple of miles. It was a great place to explore with lots of lovely places to eat and drink.

The barbeque night in the apartments is a fantastic fun time with great food and Greek dancing. The beach is a 20 minute walk down hill but very nice and sandy. Its a bit of a climb back up though.

I have only scored my holiday 3 out of 5 for two minor problems. I thought the room cleaning was a bit sub standard. We arrived Friday night but our room wasn't serviced until Monday which isn't very good when toilet paper goes in the bin. I would have liked the towels changed more frequently too. Having said that there were only 2 chamber maids so they are limited to what they can do in a day.

The second issue for us was a group of about 20 men on a stag party that arrived at the end of our holiday. It spoilt the peace of the poolside and I found them a bit uncouth. I might return to these apartments in the future but I think the owners would be very careful about allowing stag party's as it could end up deterring some of their local returning guests.

Room Tip: Most people prefer poolside rooms but not good if there is a stag party
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TriciaBishop
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Another great holiday back to Sunrise apartments.It's more like going home to 1 big family each time we return.A lot of the guests we've met over the years have become life long friends as are the Sunrise family but its not a place were you would feel uncomfortable if it was your first time as everybody is so lovely+you'd soon feel relaxed+want to go back.
Each individual is made to feel special+nothing is ever too much trouble.
The Sunrise family are all hard working but Yiannis+Aris work such long hours to keep everybody happy+always with a smile as do the rest of the staff who also work hard keeping Sunrise at its best..
You always feel so warm,relaxed+content at Sunrise and it never loses it's appeal nor does the beautiful Koutouloufari+Piskopiano with the great restaurants+lovely people who make you feel so welcome.
The only negative about Sunrise is it's that popular it's getting harder to get in so you have to book as soon as you can..
Can't wait to go back in August as no matter how long you stay it's never long enough....

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family