“A very nice hotel, friendly and helpful staff”

Asterias Village Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Koutouloufari
Reviewed 13 May 2011

I liked staying in the Asterias hotel. The staff was very nice and helpful, everyhting was very clean, the hotel seems to be quite new.
Probably the only thing worth discussing is the location.
Although quite far from the sea, it's very nice and quiet, incomparable to noisy Hersonissos. If you rent a bike, you'll easily get to any beach you want. And if you live in Hersonisos, you'll have to rent it anyway, as the town beaches are definitely nott the best.
The hotel is perfect for families with children.
I stayed their with one of my friends and we didn't have any problems to get to discos or clubs down in Hersonissos

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank ElenaTok

Reviewed 20 November 2010

We traveled with our little daughter (2 years old) and I must say this realy is a children friendly hotel. Our daughter loved the animation staff (Anelise) and when she is having good time we do as well. Apart of that we had a nice appartment on the lower site of the complex and there was a free parking for our car. Crete was lovely and asterias village is a very good base to explore the island if you are planning to rent a car. Everybody was very helpfull and polite. The man at reception told us that they have alot of repeating guests and I will also become one of them...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
11  Thank SantiagoGian
Reviewed 5 October 2010

The management responded promptly to all e-mails prior to our trip and were very helpful while there.

The complex was set on a hillside, as were most properties in this village, overlooking the sea. So, if I had a complaint, it would be that for those not in great physical shape, the hike from the apartments to the pool and to the village, although very short in distance, is very steep going.

The rooms were simple, with daily maid service. Nothing fancy. The kitchen and livingroom were one in the same, with just a small cook top, refrigerator, and two single beds. The bedroom was a good size and led out to a nice balcony. Ask for an upstairs room for the best views.

The village itself was loaded with reasonably priced restaurants and shops. Perfect for a relaxing vacation of strolling and shopping. There was ample, free parking in the complex which made it easy to rent a car and see the island.

• Stayed: September 2010
5  Thank donnabf
Reviewed 17 June 2010

I stayed in this place for 1 week. It was a great time. Before coming to Crete I made some research and found this place. I got in touch with the owner of this hotel, Dimitris. He is a nice guy with European background. He made his hotel more in European style.

The location is perfect to my mind. It is in quite place on the hill overlooking Hersonissos and the sea cost. Lots of restaurants and shops are everywhere around. But if you are more to bar scene, just in 15 minutes walk you are on the main street of Hersonissos village.

The hotel features free Wi-Fi, free parking. It has nice pool area with bar and sun beds. The breakfast is served there also. Our room was clean and simple with no surpluses. Everything was working, air condition was efficient. The hotel staff (owner plus a reception lady) were friendly and helpful.

The hotel has restaurant Oliva. Several days we ignored this restaurant trying to find something not at the hotel. But we were wrong. We definitely should go there from the first night. The restaurant was cosy and of high quality. The service was reliable, the food was magnificent. And not overpriced.

You definitely should stay there for relaxing Greece vacation.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Usenko
Reviewed 19 September 2009

This really is a hidden gem! My best experience of a Greek hotel has been Asterias. It is absolutely beautiful, overlooking the town you get a wonderful and peaceful view. The staff are friendly and we were always greeted well. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and had a nice balcony. I really loved the pool area, it was never too busy and overcrowded and the bar area is a nice place for a snack and some drinks. The bartender Tony is entertaining and made us some very lovely cocktails and bites aswell.
There is also a restaurant part of the hotel complex Olivia and i'd highly recommend it, its a classy place with great food and a lovely atmosphere.
My favourite thing about this hotel is the location, its situated in a lovely village with plenty of bars and restaurants around but quiet enough to be able to enjoy the place. You are close enough to all the amenities and there is also a supermarket right opposite the hotel which is really handy. Great Place, you will not be dissapointed here!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BrumMJ
Reviewed 25 July 2009

to give you some context we travel as a family to 5 star dubai and 2 star India. We look for something different but luxury is not off the radar.

I researched the whole of crete for weeks and came up with this place.

we were lucky in that I booked a 2 bed apartment and got the one in the seperate building which was large, self contained with private pool (which we never used once apart from me throwing my 6 year old in as punishment)

whilst there I looked at some of the other rooms which accommodated 4 and thought they were tiny but this may have been tainted by the one we had.

Positives:
1/ number of restaurants/ bars/ stalls within walking distance of family aged 3-6
2/ walked to hersonnissos ok there, a long way for little legs back up hill and hard for dad with both on one push chair but possible (excuse for beer at top). We liked this trip as it was a challenge.
3/ pool very nice
4/ weather in june perfect cloudless all week
5/ bus to the capital a good day trip

negatives
1/ I think most people would be put off by the steps. We like to keep fit so not an issue but a little worrying when kids were hurtling up and down
2/ in june english families were few and far between and our kids were desperate for company, I don't think this is an issue in august
3/ restaurants and bars quite expensive for greece (cheaper down in hersonnissos)
4/ the dreaded quad bikes and party scene didn't really make it up here (sorry that is a positive . . .I think)

any specific questions pls feel free to ask on: theflattyre@yahoo.com

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank theflattyre
Reviewed 7 September 2008

I will give a totally unbiased report of our findings. On arrival almost a day late (after being messed about big time by Thomas Cook - but thats a different story) we were displeased to say the least to be told our room was not ready!

Our room itself was a duplex style apartment which was absolutely spotless. The maids came in EVERY DAY for one thing or another. It rotated between cleaning, fresh towels & loo roll and changing the bedding.

The pool & surrounding area was also immaculate and the lads behind the bar were really friendly if not a bit crazy but polite & great fun. Not to mention the best English brekky around.

The hotel seemed to be veering towards the Dutch people as we had been given reports by fellow Brits that they had been refused certain things which were given to the Dutch without hesitation. This didn't effect us at all as the Dutch were very friendly toward us. (Hello Joop!) As Brits though, we were very much in the minority.

The location is brilliant. Situated between the 2 villages which are extemely quaint, especially Koutouloufari. There are loads of Tavernas to chose from. We found the best to be Steki across the road and Oliva which is part of the hotel but saying that, we didn't have a bad meal anywere.

One other thing to be aware of is there is no cash machine in the village. You have to go into Hersonssos to find one.

One of the downsides to the hotel was "The Hill" out of the place. You had a choice between the the slope or the steps, both equally as gruelling in 100 degree tempratures and definately not for anyone with walking disabilities.

Now for my complaint...we paid 90 euros for the air conditioning which we didn't mind, exept for the fact that it wasn't working! (I noticed someone else commented on it also on their review). We mentioned this several times to the people on reception but it didnt get sorted at all. I even emailed the hotel when I returned home to ask for a refund but they didn't even have the courtesey to reply! So if you get the air-con, be sure it is working!

All in all we had a fantatsic holiday and would definatley return again but perhaps not to these apartments as we did feel as if they didn't really want Brits there and we have noticed it's not in next years brochure which would back up this theory.

If anyone has any questions I will gladly do my best to answer them.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank BobSt_Helens_Lancs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Koutouloufari
Marni Village
Minoa Palace Resort
Minoa Palace Resort
#1 of 68 in Platanias
Kiani Beach Resort Family All Inclusive

Been to Asterias Village Resort? Share your experiences!