“Small and Beautiful”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Charge
Melbourne, Australia
“Small and Beautiful”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I stayed one night at Chateau de Pray and found it comfortable and authentic. Accommodation was lovely and the evening meal was outstanding, especially the magnificent cheese platter. Breakfast in a separate building was abundant and delicious also. There were some difficulties communicating with staff as I do not speak French, only English.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MarionClark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Southampton Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed 7 October 2012

The restaurant is very formal (no one dressed up though) and the food superior. The staff were reasonably friendly and very efficient. Local ingredients with a twist such as apple verbena jus over our Homard bleu! Black currant soufflé was sublime.
We were disappointed not to be in the main chateau ...we were in the converted barn. It was very nicely done with a modern bathroom (marble) although the shower consisted of a hose. The big bath made up for it. Complimentary water and heated towel rail get high marks. A room above had 2 extra beds. There was a large group in for a private dinner so I expect that they had booked all the chateau rooms. The grounds and gardens are lovely.
Breakfast was ok. Lots of home made bread and cakes but tired scrambled eggs. It was expensive. Amboise is a fabulous little town so I recommend you eat breakfast there ....staff won't mind. If you stay more than one night you can find a great variety of restaurant choices for dinner there.

I would try it again.

Room Tip: Check that you are in the chateau if that is what you want to experience.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Columbia MO
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Outstanding in every respect. The dinner and breakfast were very good. Although there was only one choice on the demi-pension menu (lobster), the chef prepared a different menu because I am allergic. The wine pairings were excellent, and the room was comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Traveling with a group of friends who would be visiting the Royal Chateaux in the Loire Valley, we selected Chateau de Pray to be our headquarters and base camp. We had decided to visit several chateaux including Chambord, Chenenceau, Villandry, Amboise, Clos Lucé, and Azay le Rideau, as well as make several stops in the Vouvray wine region, and found that Chateau de Pray would be very convenient to all locations.

Chateau de Pray exceeded our expectations. Well appointed rooms, excellent service, swimming pool, and hiking trails, it is an exceptional property. We spent three nights at the chateau, and could easily have spent many more. I had a room in the Tower directly above the kitchen. The aromas that found their way through my window each morning propelled me out of bed, and down to L'Orangerie for breakfast before you could say "croissant".

After visiting royal chateaux all day, it was nice to return to our own chateau, and to be treated royally.

Room Tip: The Tower Rooms have low bedroom doors that are about 5 1/2 feet tall, which requires that you have...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I independently booked a Loire cycling holiday for our family of four. My youngest is 7 and I wasn't sure he could manage the average daily distances of the normal adult tours. We didn't like the scope of the child focused tours. So we were on our own and I knew it would be important to get some quality accommodation. I chose Chateau de Pray based on the reviews on Tripadviser and because it was velo friendly. In the end we stayed three nights here as Amboise was so central to many of the things we wished to see. We arrived late afternoon having biked from Montrichard. Our luggage had already been delivered to our room and we were greeted and introduced to Carlos, the ancient suit of armour in the reception area. This certainly tickled the fancy of my little boys who then proceeded to greet Carlos everytime we walked past. Our rooms were classic French. I had booked a family room and thought we might be put out in the stables or other out buildings. We were all delighted to find we were in the main chateau. We had interconnecting rooms decorated in old world french style. Comfortable beds, many pillows, the children's room had twin beds, a shower and basin, we had a queen with bath, basin and separate toilet. My husband knocked himself out on the very low interconnecting doorway, but hey that's the perils of living in a very old castle. Apart from that we really enjoyed the rest of the chateau. The separate terrace for the swimming pool was fantastic after our daily biking. We enjoyed the walled garden which also supplies the kitchens. As for the food - it was out of this world! I'd been skilling the children up before we came to France about what to expect at a full formal dinner. One perfect evening we were served outside on the terrace - 9 courses in total and it was truly memorable. Clearly French chefs consider that children are to be educated into a wide palate and so they were encouraged to eat widely. With the children's menu only costing 20 Euro I thought they would be eating fairly regular fare. But no, the chefs had gone all out - the children's fish was the most divine we have ever tasted - cooked for hours in an extremely low heat, full of flavour and melting in your mouth. My youngest, spotting the opportunity of chefs keen to please, then asked for freshwater crayfish - and crayfish is what he got! We sat in the evening light savouring everything and watching hot air balloons flying overhead. I shall never forget that meal. We also enjoyed another dinner at the Chateau, and the breakfast which was extensive and delicious and set us up for a good day of biking. There was a storage cellar for our bikes. The chateau was a little out of Amboise so we had a few extra kilometers cycling each day but we really enjoyed the ambience overlooking the Loire river and away from the tourist buzz in the middle of town. All the staff were very friendly, we particularly enjoyed the humour of the sommelier. We asked to sample local wines - to him that meant next door or 3 km away and his knowledge was superb. And the staff were kind - one night after a 43 km ride our youngest was fading fast. We were able to finish our delicious meals by having the remaining courses delivered to our room so he could go straight to sleep. I know this put the wait staff under some pressure as the restaurant was full but we really appreciated this. Chateau de Pray is a very special place - we thoroughly loved it thank you!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Woodyfox
London
Reviewed 17 August 2012

My wife and I spent the first night of our "mini-moon" at the Chateau De Pray. The mini moon itself consisted of three stays in three different Chateau in France. We arrived after a long drive from London (easily doable in a day btw) and were welcomed warmly by the reception staff. The Chateau itself is set in a secluded area of woodland away from the main road in to Amboise. It is easy enough to find and would be my suggestion for an overnight halt rather than stay in Amboise itself. The setting is very peaceful with a garden, woodland and swimming pool to occupy yourself prior to dinner. The drive in to Amboise is about 10mins and merits a brief look although the town itself is a bit of a tourist trap IMHO. Returning to Chateau De Pray you feel a little bit special and that you've made the right accommodation choice. The gastronomy dinner is excellent and a real must. Local wines are well presented by the in-house sommelier and if you cannot manage a full bottle then he'll accommodate you in some way. We stayed in the petit room and it was small but then so are we so not really a problem however I'd not want to spend more than two nights as it may get cramped. The shower was very good although no bath but again, not really something to worry about for an overnight halt. All in all, I would recommend this place. We did not however stay for breakfast, too expensive for my taste I'm afraid and with local produce / patisseries / boucheries being so plentiful it seemed pointless.

Room Tip: Petit room is petit but adequate for a 1 / 2 night stay.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruski_11
Los Altos, California
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed at this chateau/hotel for one night during a group bike tour in the Loire Valley. It was a great experience. I particularly enjoyed the very nice outdoor pool after a hot day of biking. Additionally, the group dinner we had on the veranda was outstanding. The French know how to eat and this hotel's food and service was superb. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Henry M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charge
Chateau de Perreux - Amboise
#4 of 25 in Amboise
Auberge du Bon Laboureur
Auberge du Bon Laboureur
#1 of 5 in Chenonceaux

Been to Chateau de Pray? Share your experiences!