“Beautiful and great staff”
Review of Waxholms Hotell

Waxholms Hotell
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vaxholm
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We got married at the fortress two weeks ago, and so there was a large number of us staying at the hotel for one night. We all arrived quite a bit before check in time, and the staff were all very accommodating and having known about this in advance, helped to make sure that pretty much all rooms were already ready to go and cleaned, despite having been full the night before. Incredibly friendly service from every single person - they are all lovely!

The hotel itself is gorgeous and very romantic. The views are fantastic, and having balconies in so many rooms gives it an extra special touch. The location is also perfect both for the village as well as the ferries (literally right in front). It was an extremely hot day, but with the sea breezes and many fans available from reception, the rooms were fine. (The staff were also very accommodating with many irons etc!)

Only downside was that sleeping in the rooms above the bar was a bit tough until after 2 am when it shut (since it was a Saturday night and during summer) - it wasn't something we had thought of in advance, especially since keeping the windows open to get the breeze was something we had hoped for. Not a huge issue for us anyway, since we arrived quite late after the wedding party. :)

Breakfast was amazing and the breakfast room has fantastic views as well! Nice to have it included.

Would definitely stay again. :) Thanks to the hotel and its staff for the amazing service and all the help!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We very much enjoyed our stay at this charming hotel. The staff was very friendly. We had a lovely quiet and tastefully decorated confortable room. Great breakfast with freshly pressed orange juice, all sorts of bread, fresh fruit, smoked salmon, etc. etc. The view from the restaurant is stunning!
We highly recommend the Waxholms Hotell!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tandem2
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I just stayed at Waxholms hotel for one night, but it was a nice experience. The hotel is clean, staff efficient and the rooms are nice. Nothing fancy, but nice solid rooms. The breakfast buffet was a little slow - it is supposed to open ant 6.30, but there was no eggs, bread or bacon. This arrived a little later, but since I had to leave at 7.00 and needed to check out as well, so that was a little late for me.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Peter B
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is a great and unique hotel. Essentially, as it is only hotel in Vaxholm you don't have much choice if you need to stay in the area. However this hotel has nice rooms, amazing views over the harbour (most rooms have balconies).

I have stayed here twice now and will most likely return soon on business.

The service here was a little iffy due to the seeming lack of staff. Myself and a colleague were arriving late so the reception was unmanned. Usually a door code is sent so you can let yourself in and keys are left in envelopes on the reception. However, we did not receive this code and thankfully a Canadian guest was on her balcony when I arrived and kindly provided me with the code otherwise I would not have known what to do.

When inside there should have been two keys available, but only one room was booked (I had booked two) so they forgot one of the bookings. I then had to phone the hotel's security company who then phoned the manager. I was then given instructions on how to go behind the reception and find a key for my colleague.

Although this was irritating at the time and should not have happened, it all sorted itself out and I was thankful that the member of staff helped me, despite being off duty.

The rooms are not that big but they are very comfortable and tastefully decorated. They have a modern bathroom and nicely sized balconies looking straight out over the harbour area.

The restaurant is very nice, and is also where breakfast is served. The breakfast is good and very Scandinavian... definitely enough variety to set you up for the day! In the evening or at lunchtime, it is recommended you have a meal here! The food is really good. Traditional Scandinavian cuisine and the best seafood in the area, I think. Last time, we ate here twice in one day it was that good!

I'd recommend staying here for sure but make sure you don't arrive out of hours to avoid headaches!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank simgreen84
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Went there on a work conference. A real nice conference hotel with a beautiful view over the old castle out in the sea. Ok room with a nice shower, they had some electrical problem so all the lights in the room didn't work at first. Lunch and dinner was ok and the breakfast was wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DIF1891
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The primary appeal of this hotel (which, btw, is the only actual "hotel" in Vaxholm) is the location--right in the middle (actually on the corner) of everything, probably about 50 steps from the dock where all the ferries arrive. Its view of the harbor and the fort/citadel is probably the best in the city. But because it's the only hotel (and they know it) and its history and reputation, it's also overpriced for what you get. The rooms are pretty standard (even if the views from the little balcony are fantastic). Beds are typical Swedish style--meaning if you are two people sleeping together they push the two single beds together and you can feel the crack between you. Pillow assortment needs some help--they were all the same and didn't meet either my or my wife's liking (and we like completely opposite pillows)...and that is a big deal because even a too hard/soft bed can make for a decent night's sleep if you have a good pillow. Two other problems we didn't have but I can see being a problem would be the noise (if you are on the harbor side instead of the fort/citadel side you are right over the hotel's bar which in the busy summer season--especially on a weekend--is probably quite loud) and the heat (even though Sweden isn't known for its overly hot summers, I didn't see a fan or air conditioner in the room and I can tell you from staying in a friend's house in Stockholm that sleeping wasn't easy when the temps were above 65). Oh, and the entrance to the hotel is up a flight of outdoor steps, then up another flight of indoor steps--and I didn't see an elevator (although one would assume, knowing Sweden's accessibility laws, that there is one somewhere). Having said all that, the positives of this place (in addition to the location and view) were the staff (very friendly and helpful) and the AMAZING breakfast buffet! I didn't feel quite as bad paying as much as we did for the room when I was done eating breakfast because it was so fantastic--both hot and cold options, a cornucopia of fruit and healthy options but also plenty of bacon and "bad-for-you" stuff and of course the typical strong and delicious Swedish coffee! Anyway, for one night it was fine, but for anything more than 1 night I'd contact the local Vaxholm tourist info agency and get a list of the MANY B&B and hostel options in town. In summary, it's good but could be better for the price.

Room Tip: If you don't mind bar noise, get a harbor view room. If you want a little more quiet (although...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GlobetrottingMan
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

The single room I stayed in wasn't very big, but nicely decorated and the bed was comfy. The best thing about it though was the view! It overlooked the harbour and I spent part of the summer evening sitting on my balcony watching the ships go by and the ferries arriving and leaving. It is quite lively but the hustle and bustle stops at a reasonable time to allow enough sleep.
The downstairs restaurant served a tasty meal and the breakfast (with the same amazing view) was ample: cereals, yoghurts, milk, fruit, breads, juices, cheese, meats, jams, scrambled eggs, bacon.
Would return just to sit on the balcony all day ;-)!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank DutchLassie70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vaxholm
Grinda Wardshus
Grinda Wardshus
#2 of 2 in Vaxholm
Grand Hotel Saltsjobaden
Grand Hotel Saltsjobaden
#2 of 2 in Saltsjobaden
Kastellet Bed & Breakfast
Vaxholms Bed & Breakfast

Been to Waxholms Hotell? Share your experiences!