“Not a good start to a holiday”

La Lechere Guest House
Ranked #4 of 27 Phalaborwa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We visited here in May 2014 before our Kruger trip. Originally when we made the booking all was well, but a week prior to arrival the person was calling me to find out when we would arrive, when I asked why she said she is not always on the premises so she needed to know when we would arrive so she could be there. From the moment we arrived I got the impression that she would rather be somewhere else then helping us. The receptionist (the person we were dealing with)also took personal calls on her mobile phone while we were talking to her. Everything was an effort because she kept on telling us she does not live on the property. The most annoying thing was that the electric gate does not have a monitor and when we left the night manager came in after we opened the gate and the electric gate closed on our car and caused a dent. No apologies were every offered. No hospitality or care for the guests at all. The neighbour's dogs were barking all night and we felt it was impossible to sleep. We should have warned that there were very noisy dogs next door.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this property
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Tersiat2014

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Great location and excellent value.Rooms very clean with all necessities.Very friendly staff and owner,Dar, makes every effort to accommodate needs.Very close proximity to Kruger Park.Great breakfast and in close proximity to restaurants for dinner.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed here overnight on my way to a little village in Limpopo.

What an amazing experience. The owner is super courteous and ready to help! And when you have the breakfast, order the full house. Everything on that plate is excellent!!

When I go to Phalaborwa again, I will stay here again.

Room Tip: There are just 6 or 8 rooms. Would be an excellent stay for a bunch of friends!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2014

La Lechere is a really nice small guest house! Rooms are beautiful and very clean! Breakfast is really nice and English breakfast is served like you want it. It has a nice little pool area, too and a bar where you can sit in the evening.
Location is great too, close to a gate to Krueger National Park.
If you want a place for dinner, go to "The Hat and Creek". Amazing food! Great atmosphere outside on a huge terrace with a fireside and romantic live music.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I had a fabulous stay at the La Lechere Guest House. I was treated wonderfully. From the owners and the staff, the service was personal, prompt, and exceptional. The Guest House was extremely clean, well taken care of, beautifully decorated, in an amazing location - 5 minutes from Kruger National Park, and the management provided sightseeing and game drive options which they were happy to set up for me. Additionally, breakfast was excellent, and made to order -- and there were many options. I can't imagine a better place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I stayed here while visiting Phalaborwa and exploring the Kruger National Park. The Guesthouse is located just a few minutes drive from the Park's entrance gate which is very convenient for wildlife enthusiasts. The rooms have a beautiful African décor and are serene and quiet, affording a peaceful night's sleep in tranquil garden settings overlooking the pool. The evening lights illuminate the property's beautiful tropical gardens and thatched lapa area ... providing many relaxed areas for guests to enjoy. The breakfast was delicious and offered a wide assortment of options and was well presented. I'd highly recommend this place to any tourists or business travelers passing through Phalaborwa. Service was always professional and the staff were very willing to help me with tour and restaurant bookings throughout my stay. Definitely my favorite place to stay near the Park.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I stayed here with my mum for a short safari trip. Both our rooms were spotlessly clean, comfortable bed with mosquito nets, tv (limited channels) mini fridge, wifi access. The bathroom had fluffy white towels with complimentary travel sized toiletries. Breakfast was a lovely choice of cereals, fruit, toast or hot breakfast ~ plenty to start the day with. It's a small guest house but a pool and sun beds give an extra touch. All the staff were very friendly. There is security around La Lachere but it doesnt feel like you need as the surrounding is quite urban. Perfect for visiting KNP. Stay here if you want a small base for touring the area with personal homely touch.

Room Tip: Expect a few animals noises including local dogs during the night, it just comes with the area
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phalaborwa
Aha Sefapane Lodge and Safaris
#1 of 27 in Phalaborwa
Sunbird Lodge
Sunbird Lodge
#2 of 27 in Phalaborwa

Been to La Lechere Guest House? Share your experiences!